1.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

6MT or 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by scrb09
But you would think that no matter how good of a manual driver you are...for a car with the same engine, Pressing the clutch, shifting and realeasing would take more time then tapping the ss mode to 2nd and 3rd....

I guess there is only one way to prove it
Nope. A fast shifter (and I am) can easily out shift an automatic. Even drag racing competition auto-trannies can be beat by the likes of Ronnie Sox (in the 60's).

When I was a kid (early 20's), I owned one of the original, genuine American supercars.. a 1966 SS396/360 L34 Chevelle. I had a bunch of friends who also owned supercars (GTO's, 442's, Dodge R/T's, other Chevelles, etc.). We use to hold a little bit of competition to see how fast you could shift. The idea was to launch hard and deliberately smoke the tires through first gear until you hit your shift point, then throw the shift. Now I never power shifted.. only speed shifted. We would measure the distance between first and second gear.. that is to say when the first gear burn stopped and the second gear burn started. The shorter the gap, the faster the shift.

Incidently, first gear would usually lay down around 90 feet of rubber and second about 20 feet.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Oh, BTW. I own an '04 6MT and am co-owner of my wife's '05 5AT. So I get to drive both, though I much prefer my manual.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:53 PM
tTLiang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But you would think that no matter how good of a manual driver you are...for a car with the same engine, Pressing the clutch, shifting and realeasing would take more time then tapping the ss mode to 2nd and 3rd....

so all professional racers should drive AT then? but they don't. why? i agree computer shifted manual is faster (if they don't break like BMW's) but we are still talking about direct gear connection vs torque converter. have you ever noticed your rpm kinda paused a while your speed was increasing on your AT? that's torque converter working at its best. your engine is kinda like pushing liquid to spin a turbine at the other end. you lose some power going through this process since it's not a direct connection. i am not saying MT or AT is better. they serve their own functions. but if you want throttle response and direct power to your gears, MT is the only way to go. that's why nobody race a AT car.

BTW, my next door's brand new M3 died yesterday for sitting in the garage for 4 days. we had a blast together running up and down the highway recharging the batter. in many aspects, TL is a much more refine and better car. i smiled when i got back in my car. i'll keep you guys posted every time the M3 dies. how about that for bashing BMW? hey no bias here. i kinda like that M3 for high speed neck snapping twisties. especially when i don't have to pay for gas.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Im never gonna say that AT is more fun to drive then a MT car. But it is more pratical in so many ways, especially when you spend the most of your time in NYC and around - cause it really becomes to be a pain in the ass and it isnt really fun ). The traffic around here where i live really made me trade my car for an AT. But thats not the only thing the TL at least for me doesnt shit like an AUDI or BMW and thast where the real fun ends ).

and the best thing is - i drive more normaly i didnt get a ticket ever since i traded it in but before, i dont know what i didnt get ). when you get so much horsepower and manual gear box it just pushes you to hit that pedal ) (and i thought im gonna save more gas) - the problem is that there is no place really - this is not Germany )
Old 10-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Its all about the Gear Ratios the smaller the ration faster the shift

Gear Ratios
5AT-4.43
6MT-3.29

Link to Gear ratios
Old 10-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I also drive 6MT and I chose it not because it is faster or because the 6MT car is more powerful, but because manual box is my choice of preferences to drive. A lot of people question why people bother to drive manual cars – it is so inconvenient, distracting, tiring, old fashion, complex etc (I guess people who makes these clams do not even know how to drive MT car, do they?) I would also not pick TL if it wasn’t for 6MT – probably would end up with Accord v6 6MT coupe/sedan or even Maxima/G35 6MT (last resort). For me, as long as MT cars will exist, I will always have one to drive because this is my choice and preference.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
6 speed all the way.

The first thing you need to understand is how the transmissions work. When you run through the torque converter you loose power. They are not the most efficient device in the world. It spins a bunch of disc's sitting in a oil that has compounds that help to increase friction between the discs. This is a good way to lose power. As for the manual, It is a pressure plate, clutch and flywheel. Once the clutch is ingaged there is very little loss between the two. The big factor is the programing for the transmission. The next big difference are the gears themselves. When you have a manual transmission with 6 gears, they can be spaced closer together to transfer more of the torque to the ground. The big key with any motor is not how much HP it produces, but how much torque it produces and for how long. Torque is what accelerate's the car, that is the key. But if you are unable to produce torque at high RPM's you will not produce as much HP.

HP= Torque vs Time.

Horsepower is mearly a number manufacture's use to sell cars. When you want a car to go fast you want it to produce torque and for a long period of time. This is why you people talk about a flat torque curve. The manual transmission allows you to use more of this torque, if you don't believe it look at any dyno of a manual transmission vs a auto. I drove both, and was not happy with the auto at all. It was a well manored car, but when you had to drop it, it didn't have the reponse that the manual had. The torque was also much more noticable with the manual.

Just my
Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nuresh
Its all about the Gear Ratios the smaller the ration faster the shift

Gear Ratios
5AT-4.43
6MT-3.29

Link to Gear ratios
I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to explain that one to me. The manual tranny TL has a MUCH higher final drive ratio than the automatic (as you showed in your post). But that has little to do with shifting speed.

What I think you might mean is that a lower gear (final drive) coupled with a close ratio box (tranny) will result in faster shifts. Well this combination won't result in faster shifts but it will result in shifts which, if done properly, will be better able to place and keep the engine where it needs to be for maximum output. However, the 6MT manual in the TL is not a true close ratio transmission. Reason is that first gear is too low for this to be the case.

A near perfect match for a close ratio box would be the M21 or M22 Muncie from the 60's with a 4.56:1 rear. Now you're talking keeping the R's where you want them.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:36 AM
Team Anthracite Member

6MT all the way. Traffic can be frustrating but the complacency of an auto is even worse.

With HFL, voice and steering controls you have nothing to worry about...its like being in your own personal cockpit.

Good Luck.

Many good points to choose from in here.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:12 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
One might ask the same question regarding automatic transmissions.

Let's face it. When it all boils down, it's nothing more that a matter of personal preference.. and you're hearing this from someone who has a VERY strong bias in favor of manual transmissions (I never would have even considered the TL for a moment were it not for the fact that a manual was available). I can give you economic reasons (they last longer, cost less to maintain, and are strong (generally)). I can give you performance reasons (in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, it's almost magic). But it still largely a matter of personal choice.
WOW, never thought I would see you say this and I agree 100%.

For me, my little 125 HP delSol is the one to have the 5MT. I can run through the first 3 gears pretty hard and just be over the speed limit. Second gear @ 6500RPM = about 60 MPH. I'll admit that I like to shift for myself but that is the problem. I am afraid that with 268 HP and a 6MT I would have no drivers license

You guys and girls with better self control can have the TL 6MT fun. Just understand when you see me zipping around in my little red putt-putt.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Instructor

My TL is 5AT but my 97 Jeep is a MT. I have 80,000 miles on it and have yet to change the rear brakes, but i've broken the tranny twice. Once I broke two teeth off reverse, and i'm on my 3rd rear end. It is lifted with 33" tires and a stock Dana 35c rear. But i've driven the piss out of it with the manual and its been lots of fun.

The TL is my daily driver, i'm sure I could have lived with the MT even though I often drive over 100 miles a day however the '06 5AT hit the lot before the 6MT. I've driven both and fully realize the MT weighs less and has a couple more ponies and more of a fun factor. I dont regret the Auto. I still have no problems blowing the doors off of ricers rolling around the streets of Phoenix with their coffee can exhaust. 6mt would have just put another 1/2 a car length on an already embarrasing loss for them.

Look at the cars that outmatch 5ATs, its a short list of more expensive cars. I get beat by anyone, they have a nice car and it sure as hell hauls ass. Even if you do get beat, its ok because you didnt buy a race car. You bought a Sedan with a nice ride, nice looks and handling that also gets in the high 20's MPG which is incredible for how much power it has under the hood.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Instructor

The TL is my daily driver, i'm sure I could have lived with the MT even though I often drive over 100 miles a day however the '06 5AT hit the lot before the 6MT. I've driven both and fully realize the MT weighs less and has a couple more ponies and more of a fun factor. I dont regret the Auto. I still have no problems blowing the doors off of ricers rolling around the streets of Phoenix with their coffee can exhaust. 6mt would have just put another 1/2 a car length on an already embarrasing loss for them.

Look at the cars that outmatch 5ATs, its a short list of more expensive cars. I get beat by anyone, they have a nice car and it sure as hell hauls ass. Even if you do get beat, its ok because you didnt buy a race car. You bought a Sedan with a nice ride, nice looks and handling that also gets in the high 20's MPG which is incredible for how much power it has under the hood.[/QUOTE]

Nicely said.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I appreciate everyone's responses. As I suspected, there is no practical reason for a MT. And this is not a flame, so all of you overly sensitive folks can just chill. As quite a few have stated, it's personal preference...I've always believed that, but wondered if there was some logical reason for them (manuals). I do not begrudge anyone their preference; in fact, I fully intend to learn to drive a manual solely for the sake of learning. If I find I like it better, fine; if not, fine. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I appreciate everyone's responses. As I suspected, there is no practical reason for a MT. And this is not a flame, so all of you overly sensitive folks can just chill. As quite a few have stated, it's personal preference...I've always believed that, but wondered if there was some logical reason for them (manuals). I do not begrudge anyone their preference; in fact, I fully intend to learn to drive a manual solely for the sake of learning. If I find I like it better, fine; if not, fine. I'll let you know how it goes.
Same can be said for automatics.. that there is no practical reason for owning one. Every reason one could give to buy an automatic can be countered with at least an equally good reason to go with a manual. That's why I said it's largely a matter of preference. Manuals have an edge in the cost department in terms of longevity, maintainance, times in shop for work, and fuel economy. But most all buyers of automatics don't know or care about this as they are more concerned with their perception of convenience.

Is there a logical reason to buy an automatic? From my stand, absolutely not. From my wife's stand, absolutely. Again, personal preference.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Instructor

The TL is my first MT. I got the MT for the fun factor and no other reason. Its not for everyone. But I'm a bit of a gearhead and enjoy having more control over my car.

In Europe, MT transmissions still dominate the market. Pretty much everyone there can drive a stick. When I went to rent a car this summer in Barcelona, they only had MT cars in their inventory (BTW, it was quite an adventure trying to drive a MT for the first time in a foreign country). Its interesting that MTs still dominate over there, whereas in the US automatics reign.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

That's interesting...I read somewhere a few months ago that eventually manuals will not really be sold here (except rare instances, including high-end exotics). This is mainly because, for whatever reasons, more people buy automatics each year. The customer speaking with their wallet, so to speak.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually just came home from getting some stuff two towns over. The back road is full of up's and downs and twisties. And I've realized that..

THE BEST REASON TO GET A TL MT IS............................

(drumroll please)..................................

3RD GEAR!!!!!! Yeah Baby! Lovin' my car right now. Now if I can only find a way to keep the joggers out of my way....

If you need a reason to buy an MT TL, 3RD gear is it. The manual folks know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

During test drives, the wife and I both found the manual trans TL
both quieter and smoother.
The auto trans cars have vibration problems, and the older acura auto trans had a higher then expected failure rate.

On the other hand, the manual TL is not easy to drive, the lack of low end
tourque makes taking off from a standing start something you have to pay
attention to, not to mention hills and dips the tires may be in when you go
to take off...

Still, if I had to get a car with an auto transmission, I dont think I would pick
the TL as my top choice.
I dont see a lot special about the auto trans TL.
If the TL did not come with a manual, I never would have got one.
I would have went for a car that had lots more options, like:
Rain sensing wipers,
8 way power passengers seat,
Radio volume speed sensitive,
Power folding rear view mirrors,
Lit up dash vent controls,
Daytime running lights,
Folding rear seats,
Better displays and controls,
Long lasting leather on the seats,
Real wood trim,
ETC.

Brett
Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I have never purchased a vehicle as my own personal driving machine, where utility was not a factor, with an automatic transmission. The only personal machine I ever bought with an automatic was a 1983 Toyota Cressida. I did this because I thought I was going to tow a boat with this car, but as it turned out, we towed with my wife's car. So in 1988, I bought a "toy".. a Mustang LX 302 CID (that's a 5.0 liter V8 for you liter lovers.. Ford's famous wedge head small block). A manual was obviously the tranny.

Like Brettg, I never would have purchased the TL had it not been for the fact that a manual transmission was available for the car. If I can't get a manual in the car I want and like, then I don't want, nor will I like that car. I'm that dead set against owning a car with an automatic transmission as my personal driving machine.

I love driving. On weekends, I take my TL out several times for a "TL moment" on some of the fine country roads that are within 1 mile of my house. Theropy, pure and simple.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
04 Anthracite,6spd,No Nav

Exclamation

ATs are for Camary drivers! I joke, I joke. Seriously though, I know the AT TLs are sweet (and way better than a camary) but the 6spd is for those drivers who want to harness every bit of the TLs abilities. The people who want complete control over everything to do with their cars.

In my opinion AT are better for people who just want to zone out and drive. A lot of people say traffic is the reason they got the AT too; somedays I totally understand. But for me, their really is no substitution. Remember, Acura didn't even offer a MT for previous gen TLs. Maybe this is a limited deal.

Did I mention the 0.5-1 sec diffence in acceleration times, the BIG Brembos, better gas mileage, and VSA. Its already more car for the same money, an obvious choice...for the TL anyway.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scribesoft

If you need a reason to buy an MT TL, 3RD gear is it. The manual folks know what I'm talking about.
ohhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! LOVING it!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by Nello1
In my opinion AT are better for people who just want to zone out and drive. A lot of people say traffic is the reason they got the AT too; somedays I totally understand.
Exactly! Hit the gas, go, zone...all you have to do is look around at everything that's going on versus paying attention to something. You guys like playing with gears on twisty roads...I like flying down the interstate at extremely high speeds watching the world go by while listening to some music blaring on the stereo. Don't get me wrong, I like going fast around some country roads, too, but it gets old as you can't go really fast. Plus, not sure if you've seen the traffic here, but is sucks...and that's on top of stop lights, stop signs, speed humps, and bikers everywhere. I've riden with people with manuals here...very rarely could they just sit back and chill.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Every reason one could give to buy an automatic can be countered with at least an equally good reason to go with a manual. Is there a logical reason to buy an automatic? From my stand, absolutely not. From my wife's stand, absolutely. Again, personal preference.
What if someone only has one leg. Oh wait.. one leg and one arm
Old 10-14-2005, 02:08 PM

Cool

Exactly! Hit the gas, go, zone...all you have to do is look around at everything that's going on versus paying attention to something. You guys like playing with gears on twisty roads...I like going fast around some country roads, too, but it gets old as you can't go really fast. Plus, not sure if you've seen the traffic here, but is sucks... I've riden with people with manuals here...very rarely could they just sit back and chill.
No doubt. But for those who wanna actually drive their car opposed to just sitting in it, 6spd all the way, but its not all about going fast. Traffic is in fact a small price to pay, but for a select group of drivers, well worth it. Both have their advantages, obviously. To me shifting through the gears is way chill. Its not like I take a ton of energy to do it.

This is probably the biggest point I can make; you can't squeeze every drop of a cars potential without a manny. if your moddin an AT, your already starting from behind.

do you think the TL would have ever been considered "high performance" by just offering an AT?

Most importantly, chics like dudes that can drive a stick, that s**t is dead sexy to um!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:15 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i dont commute in traffic that much so the 6spd was a no brainer. and the 'fun' factor on curvy roads is a plus.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does it really matter that a MT can shift .03 seconds faster than the AT with a good driver which most of you are not? Does it really matter that the MT is what like half a second quicker in the quarter mile. Does it really matter that you have 5 to 10 horse power more than an AT. Then you go on to say oh you need a manual to squeeze every last bit out of the TL and it has Brembos.

All you guys that spew all that crap make it sound like it’s a big deal. I am going to let you guys in on a little secret ….you drive on the public roads and not a race track for god sakes. All that crap that you are saying doesn’t make a difference on the public roads. Also where are you driving that you need a manual to squeeze every last bit out the TL. If it’s on the street then you are just an idiot.

Do you really think that a MT will get you to work any quicker than an AT because you can shift faster and is faster in the quarter mile? Or that you have 5 to 10 extra horse power with Brembos.

You 6mt drivers think this TL is a damn sports car. It’s not it’s a four door family car with front wheel drive and if you think the TL is a sports car then you are delusional.

Nello1 I don’t know what chicks you are talking to. But my girl would rather have my hand in her lap instead of shifting. As she puts its why would I want to see a guy play with a stick the whole time while driving.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

No doubt. But for those who wanna actually drive their car opposed to just sitting in it, 6spd all the way, but its not all about going fast. Traffic is in fact a small price to pay, but for a select group of drivers, well worth it. Both have their advantages, obviously. To me shifting through the gears is way chill. Its not like I take a ton of energy to do it.

This is probably the biggest point I can make; you can't squeeze every drop of a cars potential without a manny. if your moddin an AT, your already starting from behind.

do you think the TL would have ever been considered "high performance" by just offering an AT?

Most importantly, chics like dudes that can drive a stick, that s**t is dead sexy to um!
It's that personal preference thing again...for me, it is all about going fast.

Any car that has over 250hp gets called high performance, stick or not...would you say the IS 350 isn't high performance?

No, chicks like expensive cars...you roll up in a TL with a stick and I roll up in a 7 series, guess who rolls with the girl? I know, not all girls are like that, but a lot are...at least around here (no flames on this, please...it's just an observation from personal experience...it's about 75-25). Also, I've never known a chick who really cared, but it sure seems to impress guys when a chick can drive stick.

And allow me to add, Donte99TL, you're dead on. I was actually thinking the same thing about the girl...where would I rather have my hand
Old 10-14-2005, 05:36 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

This is a type of poll that will never stop argument.

We all know Manual is 100 times fun to drive. I got automatic. Yes I know Cobra with manual is hell lot of fun to drive but for TL, I find just sitting back and relaxing is more of it's character.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:41 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual, don't know how to drive automatics....
Old 10-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Living in Seattle we have the 3rd worst traffic in the USA, only LA and NY are worse then us. My work truck is a 5 speed, and I sit in traffic all day long, so I got the AT, gotta get a break from the clutch at least sometimes.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by spool32
What if someone only has one leg. Oh wait.. one leg and one arm
Shoot 'em.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Exactly! Hit the gas, go, zone...all you have to do is look around at everything that's going on versus paying attention to something. You guys like playing with gears on twisty roads...I like flying down the interstate at extremely high speeds watching the world go by while listening to some music blaring on the stereo. Don't get me wrong, I like going fast around some country roads, too, but it gets old as you can't go really fast. Plus, not sure if you've seen the traffic here, but is sucks...and that's on top of stop lights, stop signs, speed humps, and bikers everywhere. I've riden with people with manuals here...very rarely could they just sit back and chill.
On the other hand, you have the luxury aspect.
I dont put the TL in the luxury or sports car class, its something in between.
My last car (Passat GLX) was great as far as paying attention to driving it.
VW spent lots of time thinking about setting the car up so you dont have to fool
with things while driving, it adjusts the volume on the radio for you as you go faster, it had rain sensing wipers, no fooling with the switch on the (hidden)
stalk on the TL. No menues to fool with on the radio.
No menus to fool with to get the mpg readings.
No hard to find switches for mirror contols or dash light levels.

Maybe its a German thing, allowing drivers to pay attention to the road,
and not looking at menus and having to adjust hidden controls
for things while driving.

That is a luxury thing, and allows you to pay attention to your driving, auto or
manual transmission.
I guess you can zone out, but you can also pay much more attention to actualy
driving the car if you want to...

Brett
Old 10-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
Does it really matter that a MT can shift .03 seconds faster than the AT with a good driver which most of you are not? Does it really matter that the MT is what like half a second quicker in the quarter mile. Does it really matter that you have 5 to 10 horse power more than an AT. Then you go on to say oh you need a manual to squeeze every last bit out of the TL and it has Brembos.

All you guys that spew all that crap make it sound like it’s a big deal. I am going to let you guys in on a little secret ….you drive on the public roads and not a race track for god sakes. All that crap that you are saying doesn’t make a difference on the public roads. Also where are you driving that you need a manual to squeeze every last bit out the TL. If it’s on the street then you are just an idiot.

Do you really think that a MT will get you to work any quicker than an AT because you can shift faster and is faster in the quarter mile? Or that you have 5 to 10 extra horse power with Brembos.

You 6mt drivers think this TL is a damn sports car. It’s not it’s a four door family car with front wheel drive and if you think the TL is a sports car then you are delusional.

Nello1 I don’t know what chicks you are talking to. But my girl would rather have my hand in her lap instead of shifting. As she puts its why would I want to see a guy play with a stick the whole time while driving.
What's your point? Several of us, myself included, have already made it clear that it's a personal preference thing for the most part.

As for roads on which to have fun and tax the car a little, there are plenty in my neck of the woods.. and good ones, to boot.

Finally, yes.. it is not a sports car. But neither is the Mustang. However both the TL and the Mustang will beat a BMW 330i in the twisties or on a drag strip (Car and Driver = source for the 330i and TL). Is this important? It absolutely is the the avowed gearhead of which I am one. If I weren't and didn't give a rat's butt, I would have bought an A to B car. But trust us.. it IS a big deal. I have friends with cars over 500 HP and capable of quarter mile times in the 9's. You can count on the non-gearhead posing the question, "Why do you need all that power? You can't use it on the street.". When someone asks this question, you know right away they haven't a clue.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Nobody's Hero

In my opinion AT are better for people who just want to zone out and drive. A lot of people say traffic is the reason they got the AT too; somedays I totally understand.
That and being able to handle the Krispy Kreme and Coffee while accelerating!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

It's all about traffic...... 5AT....... Don't hate cuz we have sportshift... just as good when you need it.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kcrumbley
It's all about traffic...... 5AT....... Don't hate cuz we have sportshift... just as good when you need it.
Personally, I have to disagree with you about the traffic thing.. that never bothers me and I have never wished I had an automatic when stuck in heavy traffic (like yesterday evening on the way home from work in my Ford Ranger pickup.. yes, a 5-speed manual).

But I respect those who DO consider traffic, among other things, when they go to make their auto purchase. Frankly, I think it's rather ridiculous to argue the merits of one transmission type over the other. I have already stated that the manual has some actual and economic advanages, completely devoid of preferences. The automatic has advantages based largely upon preference but the practical side would be for the individual who does not know how to either operate a manual transmission or does not know how to operate it correctly. For that buyer, the automatic makes plenty of sense.

I think it's just fine that there are people who decide to buy the TL with an automatic. The only one who really matters is the buyer.. screw anyone else in the picture. You have every right to make your own self happy by getting the transmission you want.

Since I have one of each, I am in a position of comparing the advantages or disadvantages of both. Obviously, I go with the manual and never for one moment find myself wishing for the automatic. However, my wife is quite pleased with her '05 5AT and that's just how it should be.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shark
That and being able to handle the Krispy Kreme and Coffee while accelerating!
good point for all those who are doing everything else instead of driving. outta my way lame asses.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:22 AM
7th Gear

I just bought an 05 AT, and have regreted it ever since. This automatic (with traction control on) is horrible. I floored it today (to get out of someones way), and though I was going to die. It took about 2 seconds for the whole car to get moving. It shifted down quick, but didn't lock up till it was almost to late. I could have shifted down 2 gears in the time that it took this AT to get everything to the ground. I have noticed that the torque converter is real loose on these cars, which is probably good for the crowd they targeted for the Tl, bad for those with perfomance in mind. Anyways, I love the TL, but I am a manual lover. I like having control over my shifts. Props, to anyone that has a Tl...AT or MT...its a sweet car.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
6mt for me

Plain and Simple; bought the 6mt because it is more fun to drive. It is definitely faster than the AT and it has more torque. There's nothing like shifting through the gears.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:36 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Donte99TL

How bout..yes, yes, yes, and wait, another yes. And FYI, cars are meant to be fun too.

Your point is clear, I too would never take an AT to a race track. Haulin family and groceries in traffic all day you go with the practical choice, an AT. I like the option of controlling my car in every aspect though, not letting the car drive for me. Of course I argue a moot point because some AT drivers have no idea what I even mean by "controlling the car". I'm an aggressive driver and thats how I have kept my perfect driving record of 14 years in tact. I hate stomping on the gas of an AT and nothing happens. F-in move you hunk of SH** comes to mind.

In the words of VW, "Their are those who DRIVE and then their are those who are driven". I don't think the TL is a sports car, but mine is definitely sportier than yours.

AT drivers act like their is so much work involved in driving a MT when its really a piece of cake. In traffic I pop her in first and coast. Not much to it.

Admit it, your sad cause some granny in a G35 whooped your sorry non shifting butt and now you don't wanna play anymore. You thought back to the day you bought your tl...if I only had that .5 to 1 second difference, I coulda beat her, I know I coulda.
Don't hate, appreciate. Now that the new Lex IS is out your gonna get broke off and grow even more bitter about MTs right? Don't worry, I hear the IS is just another "family car".