Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60K Serice. Dealer or Private?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Night and Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
60K Serice. Dealer or Private?

Ok, first of all, is there a list of everything that is taken care of in this service? I called the dealer but cannot remember everything. I am trying to get a complete list to see if I can find parts cheaper and doing what I can myself.

My dealer quoted me over $500 for the service. I have a 15% off coupon but would I be better off going to a reputable private shop?

On a side note, my passenger front door lock is not operating all of the sudden. Could I have activated some sort of child safety lock somehow? I have yet to check the manual as I do not have access to my car at the moment. it's parked at my mom's house (I'm driving my other one until I figure out what I want to do).

The alarm will set if the door is already locked but if it is unlocked it will not lock with the clicker and the alarm won't set. . .

I'm not a very confident guy when it comes to repairing cars or doing maintenance but here is a list of things I have been able to do on my own:

-Oil Changes...though they are more of a hassle than they are worth sometimes..

-wheel replacements

-coilover installs

-radiator installs and fluid drains

-tranny cooler installs

other simple things such as bulb replacements and the like.

based on my amateur skill level, how much (again, I don't know what all it entails) do you guys think i could accomplish myself? My hands on experience comes from a 95 Toyota Supra (my other car). I'm assuming the TL would be a bit more difficult to work on due to the advancements in technology..

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

-j.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
here is the free owner book online
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
click your year then model-
look in the index for maitenance schedule- should be in the back of the book and list what is supposed to be done at each service
DIY most of it and private shop for anything else
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Night and Day

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
here is the free owner book online
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
click your year then model-
look in the index for maitenance schedule- should be in the back of the book and list what is supposed to be done at each service
DIY most of it and private shop for anything else
thank you for the link. It is not giving me a mileage specific services. just the a,b,1,2,3,4 stuff and a few "if" scenarios. unless im looking in the wrong place.

its an 05 tl (6mt +nav)
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Our cars doesn't really need these 15k, 30, 45k, 60k, 80k services. Only thing our car should not tell us is that we need to replace fluids (as in when they get dirty or contaminated). A, B, 1, 2, 3, 4 are the symbols that the ECU will display on your dashboard whenever you need service. For example, B service is when you will need to rotate tires and do a oil change. You don't need to change your spark plugs, headlights (optional), coilovers, wheel replacements?, until 100k miles, which Acura has its 100k tuneup which changes spark plugs, filters, oil change, drain and fills and 4x4 fluids, and I think replaces headlights. 5k more you have to replace belts (timing belt) and the water pump.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Our cars doesn't really need these 15k, 30, 45k, 60k, 80k services. Only thing our car should not tell us is that we need to replace fluids (as in when they get dirty or contaminated). A, B, 1, 2, 3, 4 are the symbols that the ECU will display on your dashboard whenever you need service. For example, B service is when you will need to rotate tires and do a oil change. You don't need to change your spark plugs, headlights (optional), coilovers, wheel replacements?, until 100k miles, which Acura has its 100k tuneup which changes spark plugs, filters, oil change, drain and fills and 4x4 fluids, and I think replaces headlights. 5k more you have to replace belts (timing belt) and the water pump.
I dont think he was listing things he thinks he has to do at 60k, rather he was listing off things he has done himself to cars as to help us rate his level of car expertise.

I did all the 60k stuff by myself (well i did it at 55k bc im just like that) and it was all very easy.

-cabin filter replacement
-engine filter replacement
-oil change
-rotate tires
-ebrake adjustment

I think thats all thats needed but could be wrong. Again, I havent worried about it since I'm not actually at 60k yet.

Also, I got the filters online for about 15 bucks each. Took about 15 minutes to replace each as well.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I am at 65k (100km) and a local dealer said that its time for a timing belt and water pump and not to worry they will take care of it for 1400$. I told them to go fuck themselves and I will never go there again.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Night and Day

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
I dont think he was listing things he thinks he has to do at 60k, rather he was listing off things he has done himself to cars as to help us rate his level of car expertise.

I did all the 60k stuff by myself (well i did it at 55k bc im just like that) and it was all very easy.

-cabin filter replacement
-engine filter replacement
-oil change
-rotate tires
-ebrake adjustment

I think thats all thats needed but could be wrong. Again, I havent worried about it since I'm not actually at 60k yet.

Also, I got the filters online for about 15 bucks each. Took about 15 minutes to replace each as well.

yes thank you. that's what i meant.

as far as what the service guy mentioned was part of the 60k was basically the B service, bleeding the brakes and flushing the tranny.

I cannot rotate the tires on my supra so i've never done it. is there anything i need to do other than swap the fronts for the rears and make sure the wear is even? is there anything they do other than that?

how do you check the e-brake adjustment btw?

thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

-j.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwai1o
yes thank you. that's what i meant.

as far as what the service guy mentioned was part of the 60k was basically the B service, bleeding the brakes and flushing the tranny.

I cannot rotate the tires on my supra so i've never done it. is there anything i need to do other than swap the fronts for the rears and make sure the wear is even? is there anything they do other than that?

how do you check the e-brake adjustment btw?

thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

-j.
take a look at this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/preventative-maintenance-709348/#post10574080
Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Night and Day

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s

thank you for that thread link

-j.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I believe the problem with your lock (ONLY IF it's like the MDX we fixed) would be a passenger side door lock control mod. An MDX we had here would only un-lock but it wouldn't lock. The mod. for that door was located in the passenger side behind the ecu junction block. What a pita to do man! There should be a mod. for each door I believe.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the acura 105k mile OR 7 YEAR (whichever first) service (for usa cars in `normal service` schedule)
Calls for the timing belt-water pump job (they go together), plus the spark plugs and suggest a valve adjustment (do it, most of the covers for access are off so you save labor money and the car purrs like a 285hp sewing machine again)- its a lot of work, and makes the car ready for another 100k miles of fun, So if you look at the per month cost of owning the car maitenance wise- its low

As a qualified mechanic and TL owner i suggest:
at 60 you should `flush` the brake fluid for sure (its called bleeding only if air has entered the system) on a flush you replace ALL the brake fluid
Book says start at year 3 then every year forever- and its true!
I had 2 cars with rusted brake systems due to no change in 5-6 years!! not cheap to replace calipers and master cylinder- -one guy had to replace the ABS controller (gulp$!)
Same for the power steering fluid- flush it at 60

Smart ziners know the spark plugs have enough wear on them to merit replacement anytime after 60-70k mile. NGK Iridium are stock and proven best for the TL

Brake fluid flush and cabin air filter are easy DIY that cost 120+ at the dealer
You can do either for 25 bucks

Trans fluid- acura uses the word `flush` to describe a manual drain and refill method of trans fluid change thats required IF you ever put dex3 trans fluid in it in an emergency- THAT must be cleaned out 110% so they push 9 qts of new fluid thru and out the system to get out the dex

BUT! do not confuse that with a vacuum powered machine or recirculating pressure machine that quickee type shops and some trans shops will try to use.
Both will doom your trans (I'm from gen2 with the trans probs and know what happens (04-05 no better than gen2))

Its simple to do the 3 qt drain and refill as called for by the book
There can be issue with higher mileage cars that never had the fluid changed.
Doing a complete change- lets say at 100 and first time, can mess up the trans- too many friction modifiers and cleaners for the old grunge inside- trans dies a month later
So follow the book and do 3 qts drain and replace every 15 or 30
The trans holds 7.4 total, acura says its ok to do so do 3 qts. Do it to protect your warranty and even if trans fails out of warranty - you prove that you did service it and it still died- they will ~Goodwill Warranty~ you a trans- or super cheap

Seafoam DIY is a great place to start the service a few weeks before
get the fuel injectors clean- the valves tops and edges,, piston crowns,
Run some in the oil before change, cleans the oil passages (lots of sludge- the castrol tv commercial doesnt lie)
Do the vac port method to clean the intake runners and induction sytem- dont forget the TB plate

The TL also has a EGR issue with lots of crud plugging the egr ports inside the intake manifold- rough idle is a result
gen2 seems about every 75k miles it needs the manifold pulled off and cleaned-- for peak performance and fuel mileage- your gen3 cant be that much different
If you are thinking about an intake spacer, thermoblock or P2R- thats when you install it
See the EGR-thermoblock diy in gen3 or 2, and seafoam diy in gen3- is really good- great pics of port to use- right ON the TB- a vac hose with finger squeeze clamp on it

Have fun- do what you can and look for a private shop that has honda-acura in its ad for what you are not ready to do or have the tools and space
Check the phone book and the PennySaver for ads for a shop
Call a VW shop and ask for a referral to an acura shop- those guys know each other and a good shop that doesnt work on your car will tell you who can be trusted- as much as you can trust anyone
Make your own list for them of exactly what you want- they should have a list of what they normally do AND other things they have found need to be checked in addition to the book--real life knowledge that certain mods on a car lead to parts failures- so they check the CV joints and covers, check the suspension etc
A place that works on speed import cars would be my first choice if I let anyone do the 105 but me

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 03-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.