Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600 mile trip (1200+ total) long post

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:02 PM
professional TL driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600 mile trip (1200+ total) long post

i just took a trip in the tl and thought i would share my experiance with every one. it truly was a pleasure (for the most part) all the way around. i left out of tampa, fl at midnight on dec 30th (or late the 29th if you want to look at it that way). before i left i went over the car with a fine tooth comb. all fluids checked out ok, all lights working checked tire pressure. all tires checked out except the drivers rear which was 5 psi low. this should have been my first indication that anything was wrong. but it wasnt, i guess i was over excited since my best friend nick was coming back from iraq. he is an engineer in the 130th and was coming home after a year long tour. ive been best friend with nick since the third grade (16 long years for the mathmatically challanged) even me moving hasnt changed that. you dont find friendship like that alot.... i even think my girlfriend is jealous. anyway i just assumed the tire was fine. it had been previously patched a couple months back due to a nail. i filled the tank in tampa and set out at a good pace. i even went as far as taking a 1 litre pepsi bottle to "relive" myself along the way. for the first half of the trip i was fine and i stopped for gas around 540 am in richmond hill ga. i got 350.00 miles exactly out of the 1st tank and i refilled it with 13.164 gallons. this works out to 26.58 mpg. not bad considering the speeds i was doing (78-80 mph). i emptied my "bottle" and washed my hands. i grabbed a bite to eat and a cup of coffee and i was back on my way. about an hour later i was dying dying. being that i had almost been up for 24 hrs and that it was oh so dark along the hwy almost put me down. i totaled my last car from falling asleep, and i didnt want to replay that situation. so i stopped at a gas station and grabbed some stay awake pills another cup of coffee and let the cold sc air wake me up. (i am from florida after all and 35 degrees is cold for me). after that i was good to go, i drove till about 830 am with the music blaring as to keep me awake. have i said how good our cars stereo is? its absolutly awsome, especially dvd-a. stopped to pee and grabbed a coke (diet actually) and continued on my way. with the sun coming up i felt renewed and was able to continue going... all though i know the town of fayetteville i didnt trust my memory to get me thru so i used the navi (that what i bought it for right?) i took me a way i had never gone before so i was completely lost. but the navi it came thru and it got me to where i was familier and i took it from there. i got to his house at 10am and his mom offered me a bed. i think i was out before my head hit the pillow....i had a good time up there i spent the week with my good friend over the new year. i filled up while in fayetteville it took 13.147 gallons, i got 320.3 miles to the tank, this works out to 24.36 mpg. but this included some city mileage, and some high hp sprints to show my friend what the tl could do.... he loved it by the way. i didnt really notice how low the tire was while i was there. i have the 18" upgrade and the tires are low profile, so it didnt look bad... it even handled well. it wasnt until i drove slow with the windows down that i noticed a dragging sound. turns out the tire had only about 15 psi in it.... and the tire was pretty beat up... looks like it lost a bunch of air on the trip up. scrubbed the edges quite a bit. i took it to LEITH acura in fayetteville, they took it right in and found the problem. the previous plug, which i was told was a patch, had worked loose. i was told they couldnt patch it (as it was within an inch of the sidewall) but they could try to plug it again (actually double plug it). i had them do that and they sent me on my merry way with the advice to replace the tire at my discretion. tire has peformed well all the way home. on the return trip being more rested and durning the day made for a much more fun trip.... i stopped in woodbine, ga and got 14.507g and a total of 393.6 miles. the first town i stopped at had no gas and the miles till empty screen said 5!!!! i got back on the hwy and 12 miles later was able to fill up. i really stretched the tls endurance (more then i wanted to). but my mpg showed up as 27.13!!!! pretty good if you ask me. and that too includes some running around in fayetteville!!!. i havent filled it up since ive got back to town but the mid shows 28 mpg or so. and my cars mid so far has been within 1 mpg of being accurate. so overall im very pleased with how the tl drove and performed over the entire length of the trip!!!!

happy driving
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but i just had to use this:

Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
The good one... I kind of enjoy my super MPG, too.. thanks for the review...
Old 01-06-2005, 11:05 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
Sorry, but i just had to use this:

do you want a picture of the mid? my gas reciepts? or my friend nick? you let me know and ill try to post them
Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Who cares

To much info
(i even went as far as taking a 1 litre pepsi bottle to "relive" myself along the way.)
(i emptied my "bottle" and washed my hands)
Do you have any pictures of your friends Mom it would help make the story more compleate.....Just kidding!
Glad you had a good trip!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably would have gotten even better gas mileage if the tire wasn't low on air. BTW...when you replace the tire, make sure you buy 2 new tires. Replacing just one tire will insure the car won't drive correctly due to the uneven wear. I've had this problem two times and tried replacing just one tire and wasn't happy with the results.

Paragraphs would help next time you write a long post...just makes it easier to read.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 AM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by 04acura tl
To much info
(i even went as far as taking a 1 litre pepsi bottle to "relive" myself along the way.)
(i emptied my "bottle" and washed my hands)
Do you have any pictures of your friends Mom it would help make the story more compleate.....Just kidding!
Glad you had a good trip!!!!
as it was it probably was to much info..... but then again it was the truth and were all adults here right? (or at least close to it) we all have to go the bathroom, i just choose not to stop. im not a fan of stopping at rest areas in an unknown area at 3 in the morning while driving a car like the tl.... it just begs for someone dumb to rob me.... :thief:
Old 01-07-2005, 11:54 AM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by JetJock
You probably would have gotten even better gas mileage if the tire wasn't low on air. BTW...when you replace the tire, make sure you buy 2 new tires. Replacing just one tire will insure the car won't drive correctly due to the uneven wear. I've had this problem two times and tried replacing just one tire and wasn't happy with the results.

Paragraphs would help next time you write a long post...just makes it easier to read.
next time i will break it up fer ya

i agre that the air caused lesser gas milage... probably why it dropped from the first leg to the second. if the tire stays inflated ill try to ride it out for at least a bit. the fronts are starting to show wear as there high performance summer tires and there life isnt that great.... if i can make it to 18000 or so, ill just replace the entire set

thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Hey ONAGER;

That's Ok, man. I support you.

To Dr. Murdock;

Nice language. Would you show this to your mother?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
professional TL driver

car wreck pics (old car)

pictures of old car wreck, dont mean to cross post, but alot of people wanted to see them and i just got them up there. it is from just under a year ago, it is what is left of my contour svt

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/hillarious-nws-107269/

Edit by MOD rets: sorry, have to merge them, then this would make sense.