3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 mph vibration and memory seat loss issues both soon to be addressed by Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spoke to the service manager at Clair Acura and he told me that his 04 TL (Demo) vibrated until he had driven it past 60 days.

He explained that Acura had told him that the tires will "wear in" over that period of time and the tires should stop vibrating. He told me his car actually has stopped vibrating and is smooth.

This might be some tactic, but he asked me to go for a ride in my car, then his, and compare the 2. he said he's committed to making me happy.

I'm starting to wonder if he's right. I just crossed 1,500 miles, and the vibration issue seems to be fading. I acutally was noticing this on the way in this morning before I called the guy back.

Has anyone had their vibration issues decrease with some reasonable mileage? Any TL owners with over 2k miles that have any input?

Ryan
Old 12-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by rybocf
I just spoke to the service manager at Clair Acura and he told me that his 04 TL (Demo) vibrated until he had driven it past 60 days.

He explained that Acura had told him that the tires will "wear in" over that period of time and the tires should stop vibrating. He told me his car actually has stopped vibrating and is smooth.

This might be some tactic, but he asked me to go for a ride in my car, then his, and compare the 2. he said he's committed to making me happy.

I'm starting to wonder if he's right. I just crossed 1,500 miles, and the vibration issue seems to be fading. I acutally was noticing this on the way in this morning before I called the guy back.

Has anyone had their vibration issues decrease with some reasonable mileage? Any TL owners with over 2k miles that have any input?

Ryan
I never really noticed the vibration before, and paid very careful attention recently, keeping the car between 50 and 55. No vibration that could not be attributed to road at times. I was starting to wonder if I'm too easy, or just lucky, but perhaps it was just that I'm over 2000 miles now. Though I've now started to get the sunroof visor vibration. Didn't have that before.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by rybocf
IHas anyone had their vibration issues decrease with some reasonable mileage? Any TL owners with over 2k miles that have any input?
Ryan
I'm at 1800 now and yes, I have seen significant decrease in vibration. The vibration could be felt very easily when I just got the car. Now no one else in the car besides me notices it. And I notice it only if I pay really close attention.

So, yes, for me it has gotten better (meaning less vibration) with miles, but I am still going to ask them to look into it during my service appointment tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok i got the car back, the memory issue was not resolved. Even tho I got the car back without my memory settings. Good news about tires. Acura is replacing the Bridgestones with Michelins. I have to take the car back on Friday to get them installed.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:41 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by acur8ly
Ok i got the car back, the memory issue was not resolved. Even tho I got the car back without my memory settings. Good news about tires. Acura is replacing the Bridgestones with Michelins. I have to take the car back on Friday to get them installed.
WHOA -- That's news. Is that a corporate decision or just your MD dealership?

If you have supporting service bulletin #s or any documentation to substantiate that decision, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
That's new to me. Would you mind bringing this up to new thread? so more ppl can talk about this. I hope this case is not your dealer only.

acuraddict ever predicted Acura will announce the big change soon with tires & virbration issues. This is it?

This would be another setback for Bridgestone if this is true...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Advanced

acur8ly:

Who is your dealer in Maryland?

I predict the service manager is going to be getting 50 calls tommorrow asking if tire swap out was Acura corporate approved!!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just call Acura Client Services hotline if they've annouced anything like this... Nope.

Wish what you said could be real to all TLs...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Am I the only one who hasn't had the vibration issue? I've had my car over two months and the only time I notice vibration is on a local stretch of freeway that I know is full of grooves.

What kind of tires did your dealer give you, acur8ly?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have notivced the same as tall.

If you are driving along and you see no LED on, just press the memo button and they wil blink and one or two will light solid.

If you change the seat settings before doing that without resaving them, you lose them.

There is no rhyme or reason WHEN and WHY... I used to think it had to do with how long you wait to ge tin the car.. if you use the key or not.. and other things.

No reason.. it just happens sometimes other times it does not.

This has to have something to do with circuitry or computer chip.... If it is a chip, I wouldnt think it would be THAT hard to replace whatever module is fauly.

All you guys bringign the car in " to have this fixed" has anyone "had it fixed?"

From what I understand, the fix is not available as of yet.... I wouldn't waste my time until it is.. my dealer couldn't reduplicate it.

However, if the Acura service web thing tells them whaat to do and how to fix it they will do it...

If someone has this 100% fixed it would be nice to know because I didn't think there is a fix right now.

Mike
Old 12-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by neuronbob
Am I the only one who hasn't had the vibration issue? I've had my car over two months and the only time I notice vibration is on a local stretch of freeway that I know is full of grooves.

neuronbob, you're not the only one having no vibration. Neither do I. Lost of ppl don't have this, cannot sense it, or don't publish over this forum.

However, I do have checking engine light on and memory seat issues.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rets
neuronbob, you're not the only one having no vibration. Neither do I. Lost of ppl don't have this, cannot sense it, or don't publish over this forum.

However, I do have checking engine light on and memory seat issues.
I have the seat issue... never had a check engine light... never had a vibration except GOOD VIBRATIONS!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MikeRadio
I have the seat issue... never had a check engine light... never had a vibration except GOOD VIBRATIONS!
What you meant Good one...? speeding?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Racer

Here are my observations of the memory loss issue:

I noticed that, even when the light goes off, the settings are not really lost. If I don't change anything, the light might come on again the next time I get into the car. I think it's more correct to say that the settings get "misplaced" rather than "lost."

As for how to duplicate it, I don't have a sure-fire sequence of actions. It happens sporadically through my normal use of the car, and the same exact procedure might result in the light going out one time and the light staying on the next.

FWIW.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Instructor

If Acura has begun replacing the EL42s with something else, I'd like to know details so I can talk to my dealer. I want to ditch my tires because I think they're terrible, but not at my own cost if I can help it. I believe the tires are the cause of my vibration issue and the less than good snow performance.

Ryan
Old 12-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok I go to Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg Md, Adam is my service manager. I believe its an Acura decision to change the tires. Adam mentioned the fact that they are having lots of problems with the Bridgestones are that its a design problem. He also stated that the mich.. have been tested and are a better tire all around. In the morning I will look at my paperwork and tell u guys what if any bulletin #'s are there.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

In the morning I will look at my paperwork and tell u guys what if any bulletin #'s are there.
Cannot wait...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fuque
Here are my observations of the memory loss issue:

I noticed that, even when the light goes off, the settings are not really lost. If I don't change anything, the light might come on again the next time I get into the car. I think it's more correct to say that the settings get "misplaced" rather than "lost."

fugue,

For my case, it's totally lost and gone, no matter how I try. I know what you mean and do experience it sometimes. The memory is still there, and that's not the issue as ppl have mentioned. Your car seems ok.

If, unfortunately, you find out there is no memory for recall someday, it's the issue we talk about.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro

fugue,

For my case, it's totally lost and gone, no matter how I try. I know what you mean and do experience it sometimes. The memory is still there, and that's not the issue as ppl have mentioned. Your car seems ok.

If, unfortunately, you find out there is no memory for recall someday, it's the issue we talk about.

I actually have had them totally gone twice.. not a big deal since I use the same and program them to both so I just reset them to the current settings.

There may be two issues here.. but regardless.. a new module or fix should fix ANYTHING wroing with this issue.
Pro

fugue,

I actually have had them totally gone twice.. not a big deal since I use the same and program them to both so I just reset them to the current settings.

There may be two issues here.. but regardless.. a new module or fix should fix ANYTHING wroing with this issue.
Pro

fugue,

Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by neuronbob

Bob, your twin here, I should have gotten your car, mine has all the issues, kind of like the evil twin, love the car, just not fond of the issues, and yes, I have the tire vibration.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by need4spd
Bob, your twin here, I should have gotten your car, mine has all the issues, kind of like the evil twin, love the car, just not fond of the issues, and yes, I have the tire vibration.
Man, someone must have been drunk when they put your car together. It's been smooth sailing for me except for the few tiny issues I've had.

I still want to know which Michelins you got, acur8ly....if they're Pilot Sport A/S, I'm headed for the dealer if/when this tire swap is official. (I doubt the replacements will be the good Michies, though. ) The dealer also mentioned that the Michies were tested. How could Acura NOT test the Bridgestones adequately? I mean, if flat spots on the tires are that widespread, it should've come out during testing, right?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Racer

Originally posted by MikeRadio
No vibration issues for me. The seat memory was lost once, but thought it was accidently changed by me when memorizing "driver 2". I'm keeping n eye on the memory issue.

Just a comment in general about cars with no problems. People tend to go to forums such as this when they have problems. If they're happy they tend to remain silent.

People who are car enthusiasts notice "small troubles" more frequently than non-enthusiasts. I'm in the latter category and LIKE the OEM tires; maybe I just don't know how much better a different tire would ride.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Pro

Originally posted by gregory28
No vibration issues for me. The seat memory was lost once, but thought it was accidently changed by me when memorizing "driver 2". I'm keeping n eye on the memory issue.

Just a comment in general about cars with no problems. People tend to go to forums such as this when they have problems. If they're happy they tend to remain silent.

People who are car enthusiasts notice "small troubles" more frequently than non-enthusiasts. I'm in the latter category and LIKE the OEM tires; maybe I just don't know how much better a different tire would ride.
Yes.... I am the same!

I don't know if I would even notice vibrations.... If they ARE there, I sure as hell don't feel them.. or notice anything out of the ordinary in any way!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:06 AM
R&D of Team Anthracite

just felt the vibration early this morning going to work....50mph..this is first time its been that bad since i bought the car...a cold front jus hit here and it was really cold..i think thats the cause of it....dealer say wait until they get a service bulletin regarding this issue..
Old 12-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I always think my rear tires are not parallel to the car or front tires. They're completely vertical, but their horizontal direction is a little leaning toward inside. Is it normal? or I have problems with eyes.

Also, I don't have serious vibration problem...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
1 week after i got the car I came out one morning and the front passenger tire was flat. I was in a hurry so i put a can of fix-a-flat in it to get me thru the day. Since that day the vibration has been horrible and at all speeds. I figured it was the fixaflat in the tire throwing off the balancing. 2 weeks later I decided to get the tire fixed coorectly and rebalanced at a neighborhood tire store. When the tire tech took the tire off the rim he cleaned out the fixaflat and tested it for leaks for like 20 min. he couldnt find any leak anywhere. We surmised that the fixaflat must have sealed the hole and stayed put. anyway, he proceeded to balance the tire. it was totally over-weighted on the inside. he removed it and rebalanced it and it was fine. I asked him to check the balancing on the other side. When he put it on the machine the balance was all f-ed up. He said the tire had a flat spot in it and it was out of round causing it to hop a little bit. He re-seated the tire and it got better and rebalanced it as much as he could. He said it was better but not "right." My car vibrates at all speeds! around 70 is the worst! I want new tires!! I have had the car 2 months.....

And, my memory seat has been erased like 5 times!!! I notice it happens when my girlfriend takes my remote and opens the car, then she moves the seat without programming it....
Later when i get into the car, the seat does not move into place and does not light up either button or recognize the remote.

When are these bulletins due out??
Old 12-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Black_Pride
1 week after i got the car I came out one morning and the front passenger tire was flat. I was in a hurry so i put a can of fix-a-flat in it to get me thru the day. Since that day the vibration has been horrible and at all speeds. I figured it was the fixaflat in the tire throwing off the balancing. 2 weeks later I decided to get the tire fixed coorectly and rebalanced at a neighborhood tire store. When the tire tech took the tire off the rim he cleaned out the fixaflat and tested it for leaks for like 20 min. he couldnt find any leak anywhere. We surmised that the fixaflat must have sealed the hole and stayed put. anyway, he proceeded to balance the tire. it was totally over-weighted on the inside. he removed it and rebalanced it and it was fine. I asked him to check the balancing on the other side. When he put it on the machine the balance was all f-ed up. He said the tire had a flat spot in it and it was out of round causing it to hop a little bit. He re-seated the tire and it got better and rebalanced it as much as he could. He said it was better but not "right." My car vibrates at all speeds! around 70 is the worst! I want new tires!! I have had the car 2 months.....

And, my memory seat has been erased like 5 times!!! I notice it happens when my girlfriend takes my remote and opens the car, then she moves the seat without programming it....
Later when i get into the car, the seat does not move into place and does not light up either button or recognize the remote.

When are these bulletins due out??
I think we all wait for the answers from Acura.

For tires, no matter how you balance them, the final result is never right. TL seems to require some special balance/alignment plus tires change.

For memory seat issue, it is still the mystery.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Instructor

MikeRadio, neuronbob, and other who haven't noticed the vibrations...

It seems like the people on this forum who notice the vibrations have the 5AT. Here's how we notice it. After the car has been sitting for awhile, usually in the morning going to work, you need to get up to 50-60mph in short time while the tires are still cold. If you live in the city and never have a chance to get up to the 50mph speed, your Turnaza EL42 tires may have warmed up already and you will not notice the vibration issue that otherws here are talking about. Right around 50mph, people are noticing a shaking vibration felt in the front end of the car and steering wheel. Just wanted to share in case you weren't aware of this.

I'm not sure if any people with the 6MT have notice the vibration issue. What about people with the Potenza summer tires?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Advanced

I have been offline for a couple of weeks now but catching up on threads. I have 6MT which came with the Turanzas. I rode around on the Turanzas for a week and it was like driving a 4x4 with nobbies. It was the most miserable ride imaginable for a car like the TL. I had the tires rebalanced (did not help much) so I went out and purchased Pzero Nero M+S and had the dealer mount/balance/install. PROBLEM FIXED!!!

There are several vibration issues floating around but I can tell you factually that MY problems were 100% tire related. When Acura decides to swap the Turanzas out I am going to have them give me the replacements so I have them in my garage when I need to swap out next time, other option would be to request reimbursement for my new tires.

I still have a bit of pull to the left (alignment?), seat memory issue and a couple rattles that need to be fixed. Build number in the 10k's.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok the car is back at the dealer. I just spent the last hour there, did some road testing with the tech to get some issues worked out. It turns out that its not an Acura decision to replace the tires but the dealer opted to do so. They are installing a set of Micelin Pilot Sport. Someone else is getting their tires replaced also, there were 8 of the tires sitting there. He wouldn't tell me why they decided to do the swap just that they have been getting lots of complaints.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Instructor

great tires but pilot sports

are terrible in any snow,. unless they gave you pilot sport a/s
Old 01-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

I will purchase either infiniti g35 of acura tl in 3 months.

Will the 50 mph problem be fixed by then? How can I make sure I get the newer tires or ones without problems?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

In regard to the guy who is considering the TL v. the G35, there really shouldn't be any concerns. The tire issue is already under close scrutiny by Acura and Bridgestone. Buy with confidence, but first go take a good look at the G35. Most of us did exactly that and the TL came out as the clear winner. I can't think of one person on this site who seemed to really have a hard time deciding between the two. The G35's interior can't hold a candle to the TL, and then there's the technology in the TL, and the lateral cockpit ergonomics (if you happen to be a size 42 or larger, you may find the driver's seat area very narrow).
Old 01-21-2004, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

I just picked up my 04 TL black on black, 6sp with Nav with High-performance tires with no 50-55 MPH vibration. I have a 160 miles on it and no problems yet. Great web site!

Eric
Old 01-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by pullrock
I just picked up my 04 TL black on black, 6sp with Nav with High-performance tires with no 50-55 MPH vibration. I have a 160 miles on it and no problems yet. Great web site!

Eric
Glad to hear it!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

I just called to ParkAve Acura at NJ and ask about tire vibration (which I have since day 1) and seat memory loss(had once last 1 month).
The Service Advisor, Peter Vandenberghe, said they didn't hear anything about those issue so far. He said NONE.

Did I talk to wrong guy?
What is my next step? Talk to service manager or Acurs CS?

I will order new tire myself, if they don't replace them.
Is that worth wait some more?
Please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by comdoctor
I just called to ParkAve Acura at NJ and ask about tire vibration (which I have since day 1) and seat memory loss(had once last 1 month).
The Service Advisor, Peter Vandenberghe, said they didn't hear anything about those issue so far. He said NONE.

Tires may be replaced by another set of EL42s, which has the better setup inside. soon... 1-2 months?

For Seat Memory Loss issue, I got the same answer as you did, from ACS & dealers... be patient...
Old 02-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty friggin pissed off that Acura has still not figured out a fix for the memory seat problem. What the helll are they waiting for? Put a dammn engineer on the fukking problem and fix it.

Quick Reply: 50 mph vibration and memory seat loss issues both soon to be addressed by Acura!