3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Reasons Not be Buy Illuminated Door Sills!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry 5 Reasons Not be Buy Illuminated Door Sills!!!

I spent $149.95 for the illuminated door sills from supercomputers, the official vendor on acurazine. I spent another 5 hours of my time as well as Grich4u's time at his house installing them. I also spent another $5.99 for double sided tape, and even more time trying to get them to fit properly. After all this time and energy, I could not be unhappier. I got everything to work, the rear sills always looked horrible, and tonight while i was getting out of my car commenting to my mother on how much i liked it, i looked down and my entire drivers side was out. I went ahead and checked everything, and it looks the passenger side is fine, but the whole drivers side front and rear fused out. I have not been more displeased with one of my modifications on this tl. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I'm just honestly really trying to let everyone know that this isnt something you want to get.

Here are the reasons why none of you should by this kit, or a kit with similiar specifications, until these problems have been addressed.

1) Light output. These sills dont look oem, they dont even look professional, the ones in the back are much brighter than the sills in the front. I have looked at Brabus illuminated door sills in person, and there isnt a color difference, and there isnt one on Mercedes Benz door sills either.

2) Acura Font Size. The rear text is smaller than the front, our OEM door sills have the same size font in the front and the back, but for some reason the text is different in the back. It doesnt look right, when you think of the idea that it could have been made to have the same light output and size of the front, and look even better.

3) Fitment. The rear doesnt fit, it's not even close you can ask anybody who has installed this kit. Totally unacceptable, personally I wish I hadn't even opened the box after I heared that the rear bend was off. I put a complete roll of 3m double sided tape, and the curve still isnt perfect. For $150 it should be, and to be honest even though the 3M tape made it better, it still looks like shit, and my friends have commented on it.

4.) Fitment AGAIN. The front and rear sit on top of your oem sills, and because of this you get multiple silver taps sticking out into the rubber guard surrounding the sills, which looks aftermarket and upon further expection you can tell that the fitment even in the front is off.

5.) DIRECTIONS. I had to have someone help me install them because the directions were so terribly written. In my order it turned out I didnt even recieve directions, I had to have supercomputers email them to me. Even with them, I knew they werent the best that could have been offered. This product felt half-assed.

Bottom line, I dont care if supercomputers will give me a refund or not. I just wanted to make sure you all knew my experience with the product. Alot of you know I am very light hearted and understanding person, I dont get upset unless I feel I have been taken advantage of as well as our wonderful community. This product is unacceptable, and when people dont expect perfection from all endeavors and products we end up with stuff like this. Do it right or dont do it all.

Thanks for reading guys, and I hope I save some of you from spending $150 for them.

Fitz
Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
damn dude, did you talk to him before posting this?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this only with the 04+ TL's?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Silky Smooth

The Door sills are different for the older gen TL's I believe there isnt a curve in the back sills. There shouldnt be fitment problems, this thread is directly related to the 04/05TL.

Rondog, this post was harsh for me, I dont think I have ever made a post like this in all the time i've belonged to these forums. However this post was 100% honest. I spent alot of time as well as another forum members time trying to get these sills to fit properly and they didnt. Anybody who has the sills please chime in if you feel I am being unfair about these problems. The product wasnt designed right, and I dont care if your a small sole-propreitorship or a huge corporation, you should know what your getting into when you dont release a perfect product. Rondog I know you have the same views of quality and pride in workmanship as I do, after having communication with you for the past year. I am critical on everything, and always try to be understanding. I find this particular situation upsetting, because nothing is being done to fix these sills and they are still being sold. That isnt fair to this community, does anybody disagree with me for wanting a better product for us? If you do then go ahead and buy them, but I will continue to expect higher standards from my consumer products.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have to agree with most of what Lokius is saying.

The fit wasn't perfect at the back. The directions were terrible and it took me more than 5 hours to do it with my friend. I spent over 2 weeks on this project but overall I would say I spent maybe 8 hours. I didn't know how the electrical diagrams and that's why I had my friend help. However I could not find the wires. Pictures would have helped in this instance.

The instructions problem may only apply to the 04 as AdamNJ and others provided pictures and writeups. However I'm not sure if this happens with the 1st gen or 2nd gens.

The lighting I can forgive and I personally like the look. It would have been cool if he had put a black plastic frame around it to make it more OEM. Many others have complimented on them, especially at the dealerships. They were all like wow this is awesome.

In Supercomputer's defense, he took a chance to create an aftermarket product that appeals to many people and wasn't done being done by another person. I am very happy with the product and you'll find other people who are happy with it as well.

I'm sure he will give you a refund. And as advice for all other buyers, this is not a project for a newbie. You really do need to have patience to look for the wires and install them. But I'm very sure you'll be happy with the final product.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
Lokius, it sounds like you are understandably frustrated, but I think your post is a little dramatic, ESPECIALLY if you have not addressed your concerns to Dave himself yet. It's in rather poor taste to come and lambaste him on teh forum if you haven't even taken it up with him.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
you are the *first* complaint i have heard about supercomputers. I have had one issue that i needed to contact him about since he became an official vendor. he replied back to me and the person involved within about 2 hours if I recall correctly. He provides good customer service, so again, I think it's a bit of poor taste to create this thread.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Silky Smooth

Astroboy I understand where you are coming from and I did start this thread with extreme frustration and aggravation in my mind, however I started this thread for one reason and one reason alone, to make sure everyone on this forum knows how dissapointed i was with this product in its current state. I hope he can fix them, and get the curve to work and fix the other problems with this product. But the Sponsored buy thread just wasnt doing it, his solution was to epoxy the sills to the car. That went against the whole "this is an easy modifcation, that can be removed easily part of the sale". I felt this needed to be brought up since the sills are still selling, and I feel the product should be better, and I as one of his customers was dissatisfied.

I will speak with him, this is more of an attempt to get this out there for people who might buy this kit from him. I have never had any difficulties with him and I am not trying to hurt his business, I want him to understand that these problems arent something that should be allowed in a product, but rather something that needs to be resolved.

Supercomputers do not think I dont appreciate your hard work on the sills and the pedals, I have spoke with you numerous times and you know I shoot you straight. I just really dislike this curve in the back, and Thorin and others agree with me, please resolve this issue as well as the fact that my driver side isnt working haha

I think this thread needs some more and 's

I apologize for the poor form, but I felt at the time and still to do this issue needs to be out in the open. Especially since we are a community who lays out all our problems on the boards, the 3rd gen guys expect alot from our car and we expect just as much out of our aftermarket parts.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 17 (9 members and 8 guests)
TLover, california-usa, ayethetiense, pimpravi, Supercomputers, Dkrudop, robeaneee, ejn184, King of Pain

Any comment Supercomputers?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Instructor

I was thinking of buying those awhile back but I didn't want to deal with any installation difficulties so what I think im going to do is just take off the OEM sills and have the Acura logo hand painted ( maybe brown ) to match my parchment interior at an art shop.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread isnt worthless without pics, but they would be nice. The sills generally look really nice, but any desire I had to get them has now been eliminated, at least for the time being.0
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 17 (9 members and 8 guests)
TLover, california-usa, ayethetiense, pimpravi, Supercomputers, Dkrudop, robeaneee, ejn184, King of Pain

Any comment Supercomputers?
ya, how come he has nothing to say?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
To respond to this thread that I find out about from a PM, Boy o Boy where do we start.

Let me apologize in advance for my grammer its late and I am tired but wanted to respond as soon as I saw this.

Again Lokius is entitled to his opinion so I dont fault him for that but lets defend our selves a bit. Again and to be honest I think its a pretty low blow but its ok we are an open community. I also stand behind this 100% so here we go.

Well, to be very very honest I think it is more then overdramatic, its totaly not necessary. Every issue you bring up has been spoken about in the past. Between Ebay and This forum,

Here is some backround info.

1. Over 72 sets have been sold between the 2 sites, There were 5 cancelations before the product was released due to vechicles being sold or not enough cash flow to complete the deal. There was one set returned due to damage in shipping and there was 1 set returned due to dislike of the design. So I have over 72 Installed sets out on the market and this is the first complaint of this nature.

2. This same type of design was used to create other vechiles we now have them for the 99-03 tl, 04+ TL, 93-04 Mustang, 05+ Mustang, In develpment for the CL and TSX and the G35. So there are many other vechiles in the pipeline.

3. This idea came to light when eggroll express came up with the Idea in Oct of 2004 and i did some research and hooked us up with the right people. I started this company and created this product with all on the forum. You were brought threw the whole process form original design to finished product.

4. Your key concern has been price price price. In order to get these things designed I had to lay out a lot of upfront money and time. We came up with the best possible design with the best possible materials for the best price. As you know we stand behind everything 100% all our sills come with a 30 day full return policy and a full 1 year warranty on electric with a no questions asked return policy.

5. These sills were made in Germany buy one of the original makers of Aftermarket Door sills for BMW and Mercedes. So you got an expert to boot on this project.

Now for the issues. Lets start with Product. The stainless steel is some of the best grade you can find its of the best quality, The El technology is the same everywhere its low voltage light source that can be used in tight spaces, So to answer on of your questions about not being OEM its as close to OEM as you can get in that material there is no closer match and if you ask me and all the rest who have purchased its pretty darn close to our stock dash.

Lets go to Fitment, This was a tricky car for fitment as far as the front sills are concerned they fit perfect in my opinon I have them on my car and they look perfect to me. When installed properly they look like there part of the car and are OEM, The Graphics and Dimples were all approved by the fourm as the look we were going for.

As far as the rear sills are concerned the fitment was very difficult to duplicate, I belive we came close for this application, Close enough for the application to work and look good. We have also run into the problem of the hold with the 3M Tape. It is mentioned in the directions that if you have problems with the hold to use and all purpose rubber based epoxy. We used that on my cars rear sills and they fit the oem equipmet 100%. It holds them down perfectly with no chance of them coming up.

The voltage on the lights are the same, They all use the same level inverter, If you are having problems with the brightness being off you have them installed incorrectly or you may have a defective El Plate in wich case we will happily return it for you for another one.

As far as the font goes, No they are not the same on the Front as they are in the back you are dealing with a smaller space in the back. Also we wanted them to look 99% as close to stock as possible but we could not and would not copy stock, We would have issues with Acura if we did that.

As far as installation goes, AdamNJ has been a huge supporter of my product and was kind enough to put together step by step instructions with full picutres of how the install is done. I provided you with very detailed instructions from a Acura Tech but they seemed to difficult to understand so adam was kind enough to do the write up to make it easier. If you dont know electric you should not attempt this on your own we clear state that this install should be done by an Alarm or Stereo shop. I dont know what you were doing for 8 hours, It probally means you should not have been doing this install. Most have been getting them done between 1.5- 2.0 hours,

When the install is properly done there should be no wires seen or nothing hanging, They are clean and tight, Keep in mind they are door sills, If they are not installed properly and you smash them with your foot getting in and out of your car you might have a problem.

Not sure If I addressed all your complaints but I will happy to talk longer if you need questions answered,

If you want what you saw when you looked at the MERCEDES Sills I will make them for you and I will also Charge you 399.00 to 499.00 for a set of 4. wich is what they cost.

My product is well made at a great price I was selling them on the forum for 149.95 Delivered, Keep in mind shipping with insurance ran at least 5.99 to 12.99 depending on where you all lived. I spent many hours and many up front dollars to make myself and all the rest happy with a solid product at an affordable price. I did this project to learn something and have fun, If you think I am getting rich on this thing we all can laugh together because as rondogg can back me up on this there is not much jucie on these.

So to sum it up, I value everybodys opinon I think thats pretty clear in how these were created. As far as you posting comments like this on the board again its a pretty low blow without discussing it with me first. I am here to help you and everybody, I think the proof is in the numbers this is the first complaint of this nature with over 70 sets sold so I belive most enjoy what we came up with and enjoy it on there car I know I do and everybody who sees mine loves them.

People are going to love mods and hate them, But if you dont like it send it back within the warranty periods set. Thats why we have them, But please after all my hard work and everybody who helped, dont slander my product its not necessary, Lokius I value your business and your comments but you get what you pay for a solid product at a solid price, If you wanted them as your describe it may have cost us 300.00+ dollars to perfect them, I think we fit the need of what everybody exspected and wanted out of our price point.

All feel free to comment on anything I will do all I can to answer all your questions we have been a member of this forum since 2002.

Again we offered a good product at a resaonable price and you all helped create it we started from scratch I thank you all for your business, I love my sill and when done correctly they are classy head turners that look great. Try them for your self you cant lose we have a 100% customer satisfaction policy on all of our products,
Old 07-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

It was a long type sorry for the delay its real late here in NY.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercomputers
It was a long type sorry for the delay its real late here in NY.
I'm just thinking maybe it would be a good idea to fit them to a TL and take pictures during the process to include with detailed instructions. I'm getting a third gen TL most likely in August 2006, and was thinking of getting these. But I'm terrible at installing electric parts. Instructions with real life photos (with the parts circled in red or something) might be very useful.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Silky Smooth

I disagree that to get a proper fitment door sill it would cost us $300.00. Your door sills are a great value Supercomputers, I apologize for making this thread, and would like to discuss this with you on the phone about my specific door sills. They should fit perfectly, they were designed for just one very specific car werent they? Then they should fit, that's just how I view it. My main issue is with the fitment of the rear sills, and the other problems I had with the sills were put there as secondary to the rear fitment.

My sills arent working, I have a whole side that is not turning on. They were installed by someone who knew what he was doing, and his sills are fine, except for the fitment issues. For $150 your damn right, you get what you pay for. And I know you have been very supportive of this forum and taking the advice of many of us on the boards, unlike the guy who modified some OEM sills.

However, I can understand why you might of changed fonts and sizes in teh rear, but it's not just me that had issues with the back being brighter than the front and fitment issues in the rear. Am I unhappy yes, do I want a replacement, yes, that is of course if you can gurantee a better fitment in a redesigned product. If you feel that I am wrong in any of my descriptions of the product, I can include pictures of exactly what I am talking about, showing everyone how much 3m tape i used, how these sills look as well as some pictures of my facial expressions when I opened the door and realized they werent on haha All things aside, I will apologize again for posting such an aggressive thread, it's not in my nature, it's just very frustrating to see something you really want to work and perform like you have been told it will, and have it fail. I will PM you my contact information, so that we can resolve this. A moderator can lock this or delete it if they feel that what I said was slander or bullshit, I wont be upset. I got people's attention about this product, and hopefully some changes with the product will be made. If not, then at least I had supercomputers come and defend his product wonderfully and sell some more sets.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

YoungTl,

A lot of things could have been done to make it easier I agree and we will take all that into consideration we are now doing that with our pedals that are coming up we had to make a fitment change. But these were test fitted many times and we feel we had what we needed as far as fitment goes and we went with it. We were also under a very tight time constraint to get them done in time. And yes another lesson learned No group buys until product is completed so you dont have to worry about time lines. Wich is why we have not offered our pedals yet. It was our first time creating a product and you all came thew the process with us. I think we all learned these types of projects take a lot of time. But again I have to state for the money the sills are sweet a very nice inprovement for the money.

And again if you dont know electric have them installed by a shop so they are done right and look good.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Lokis,

Again I realize what your saying, We will work out your issues and get your set working Not sure why its not, If we have to replace it we will thats not the issue, As far as them beign redesigned that wont happen at this point. Tooling has already been created for what we have. We went with fitments that worked in test fitting. Design Time is the most expensive part of the process, We feel the application does what it was created to do and is made of the best materials possible for the money. You have to understand that in order to create a great product for a great price you have to stay within your buget. If we had 20+ sets returned I would say there is a major problem but I think all in all the board is very happy with what they have on there cars. We have had on 1 return out of 72 sets. We did the best we could at the price offered, We also backed it up so the customer can decide with the return policy,

Again contact me and we will resolve your issues,
Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Supercomputers

Very nice and professional response. Best of luck to you in your business.