4G TL growing on you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:40 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

I don't know if I say this yet, No it has not growing on me.

But with RONJON kit, it will probably change my mind....

next ride has to be a V8 for me
Old 07-07-2009 | 08:51 PM
Team Owner

Nope, nope, nope. Don't like them, don't want one, I'm very happy with my 3G. I finally got to drive one-a SH-AWD. I kind of put it through it's paces with the Sales Director of my dealership. I wasn't blown away-sorry.... I think it's starting to look like every other luxury car on the road. The Nav Weather is great-that I'd like to have in my 3G. The "push to start" was nice, but I am happy with the automatic starter on my 3G. The RonJon kit will hopefully be a HUGE improvement because the Aspec kit fails miserably too. The from nose kit doesn't even wrap around the entire front nose. It looks like it's two snap on pieces in ahead of the front tires.

Combine that with the fail of a nose-and the 4G doesn't even make me think twice about upgrading.
Old 07-07-2009 | 08:53 PM
Racer

blackacura is right. acura is ahead of time. when the 3g first came out, i didnt like it at all until i saw the 07-08 base and type s model. i like the 4g front but i hate the rear. rear is just unacceptable. also the car is too big. i think our 3g is a perfect size
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:02 PM
Instructor

originally posted by: TL1999:
I don't know if I say this yet, No it has not growing on me.

But with RONJON kit, it will probably change my mind....

next ride has to be a V8 for me
^a V8? So it is written:

"The day was hot, and upon the mountaintop a tall dark man appeared. The people looked on in wonder as he descended down amongst them, and all were in awe of his speech.

The elders spoke amongst themselves, confronting him: "who are you, stranger, to usurp our authority amongst the tribes of our own people? Be you a prophet or hast thou an incombent spirit within?"

He turned his gaze upon them and said, "I am Obama of Chicago. I come to bring you the word of my master, for yea you have wrought evil upon the face of your world".

Then he turned to the crowd, saying "Your 8-horned beasts lay waste to the land, spewing forth venomous clouds which plague your brethren. You must put them aside and follow me, for it is only upon my path that you shall find salvation!"

The tribes looked on him in rage and disgust, and stoned him for his disordered prophecies.

Don't read too much into it... But yea, manufacturers are straying away from higher displacement engines thanks to recent politics. I'm not super hopeful
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:10 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

I just went to look at it again at the dealer cause my lease is up and it is growing on me abit. I can lease a awd tech for 25 bucks less a month then what I am paying now with 0 down. Needless to say here in a town with a ton of 3g's on the road the 4g's aren't winning to may people over so they are offering deals on the 09's, there lot is full of them. The problem is I still love my 06 TL and if i switch to a 4G I don't know if I will ever like it as much from a styling stand point. The car drove great and I love the interior. But it still has 3 faults in my opinion

1. no touch screen nav (I can live with that)
2. 5at is outdated
3. Styling, It looks to big and not sporty enough for me

The one other thing I worry about is fuel consumption because from what I hear the awd is abit thirsty and I do a far bit of driving.

I have less then 2 months left on mine to decide but I'm leaning toward buying my lease out but we will see if there deals get any better once they start to get the 2010's rolling in. There lot is usually pretty empty by the end of June but it is rammed full this year with TL's and MDX's.
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:15 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by lldknyll26
blackacura is right. acura is ahead of time. when the 3g first came out, i didnt like it at all until i saw the 07-08 base and type s model. i like the 4g front but i hate the rear. rear is just unacceptable. also the car is too big. i think our 3g is a perfect size
large... it is.... its GS350AWD sized// E350 // 535xi // M35/45

no longer does it compete with the 328/335...IS250/350.....g37...etc... Thats what the new 280hp V6 TSX is for.... go check it out, its at the dealers

oh, and its not THAT fast... ya know why? It weighs 3600lbs.... its essentially, the UA7 Type-S
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:16 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Mattgtp
I just went to look at it again at the dealer cause my lease is up and it is growing on me abit. I can lease a awd tech for 25 bucks less a month then what I am paying now with 0 down. Needless to say here in a town with a ton of 3g's on the road the 4g's aren't winning to may people over so they are offering deals on the 09's, there lot is full of them. The problem is I still love my 06 TL and if i switch to a 4G I don't know if I will ever like it as much from a styling stand point. The car drove great and I love the interior. But it still has 3 faults in my opinion

1. no touch screen nav (I can live with that)
2. 5at is outdated
3. Styling, It looks to big and not sporty enough for me

The one other thing I worry about is fuel consumption because from what I hear the awd is abit thirsty and I do a far bit of driving.

I have less then 2 months left on mine to decide but I'm leaning toward buying my lease out but we will see if there deals get any better once they start to get the 2010's rolling in. There lot is usually pretty empty by the end of June but it is rammed full this year with TL's and MDX's.
I think once you drive it, you're hooked... it outhandles almost EVERY car in the class below it, and above it... my
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trew
It's not "The more you look at it the more you like it"

It's "The more you look at it the more you get used to it, and accept the major cosmetic flaws"

I will sooner buy another make than upgrade to a 4G TL. That thing is Foogly...

Contrary to what the future/current 4G owners all said.... when I saw it in person it looked even worse! I was hoping it would look nicer than in the pictures, but it disappointed.

It's just a shame. The car has such an amazing interior and great performance for what it is. The exterior looks could have been SO much better. The difference between Acura's competitive pricing and Audi's overcharging for their cars is that when you look at a new A4, you don't constantly wonder how they could improve on how it looks.... you just marvel at how simply beautiful it is.
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:31 PM
Instructor

I must admit when I first saw the 4g I didn't like the styling mainly due to the UGLY bulky grill on it. I must say the car has grown on my I do like the styling but its just the grill that brings the design down in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:37 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
in fact, go search the 2G forums... alot of people talked smack about the 3G when it came out.... some of those members, ended up owning the 3G

the 4G is just ahead of its time...its....."advanced" (no pun intended)....the designers at honda/acura arent fools... they know what they're doing
I've said the samething from day 1. I'm can see myself cross over... just dont know when. I've said that, the 4G has potential, just needs work and I'm waiting for someone to do one up properly. Maybe that will be you.
Old 07-07-2009 | 09:40 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

I think once you drive it, you're hooked... it outhandles almost EVERY car in the class below it, and above it... my
I do love the way it drives and handles I told the guy no way when he asked about getting a new one instead of buying mine out then drove it and it put me on the fence lol... If they offer me even more of a deal i will probably go for it but I am still undecided at this point. I just don't want what happened when I got my 06 to happen again. Right after I got it the Type S came out and they offered free navi up here in Canada and I just payed for it
Old 07-07-2009 | 10:04 PM
I have car ADD

^ i got $25k for 08 TL-S, paid $37,800 for my SH-AWD.... couldnt complain... considering i had 34k on my Type-S
Old 07-07-2009 | 10:08 PM
One on the right for me

Oh good god no. Part of the reason why I won't consider a TL again. Horrible looking car.
Old 07-07-2009 | 10:09 PM
I have car ADD

^ i guess it really is 50/50... people either LOVE it or HATE it....

i tell you one thing.... i think its better than the 3G RL
Old 07-07-2009 | 10:19 PM
One on the right for me

I was really hoping that it would look better in person. I see too many every day and it doesn't get any better. I don't think it is ahead of its time, I think it is just god awful ugly
Old 07-07-2009 | 10:41 PM
My Garage not

i'm pretty dumbfounded on how the 4g came out. it doesn't get any better when i see it in person. i feel kind of stupid just complaining about how it looks but it hasn't grown on me at all and i normally like new models the minute i see pics of them.
Old 07-07-2009 | 10:43 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

^ i got $25k for 08 TL-S, paid $37,800 for my SH-AWD.... couldnt complain... considering i had 34k on my Type-S
The awd techs are pushing 50g's up here but when i worked out the deal it was 45 some 2006's are still 30 up here asking price
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:07 AM
Instructor

I like it. I used to hate the 3G and the 4G. Now I own a 3G and the 4G is growing on me. I was driving behind one there other day and I started to think to myself that the look would last. Just like a car from those sci-fi movies.
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:48 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

We have 100 reps for 3G's and 1 Rep defending the shit out of 4G..LMAO
Old 07-08-2009 | 03:14 AM
Instructor

Some people are special
Old 07-08-2009 | 07:51 AM
Under construction

im with blackura_NY on this one, eventually people will get over the nose and see the other advantages. but i think acura might redesign the nose pretty soon
Old 07-08-2009 | 08:43 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by alexSU
It's growing on me, slowly. Once the 6MT comes out it could be the icing on the cake.

You have to admit, it's better then the 3G in almost every way. Bigger, better, more powerful (but not faster)
But it sucks far more gas!

Still not a fan of it, it has not grown on me at all. I was never a fan of the 1st and 2nd Gens, I was purely drawn to the 3rd gen from the day it was released. The lines of the car are just sexy. The proportions were well thought out and there is nothing that just blares out at you. There are only a few other cars that I like that are out, but that are all coupes and I need a sedan with a 17 week old child. I am very pleased with the selection of my 3rd gen, I do hate they did not have the Type-S out when I bought mine (bought it new in March 2005), but other then that I have been very satisfied with it, not to mention I see an average 26-28 MPG for my daily driving. The 4th Gen can not touch that. Even on the highway it is not close. Ugly and poor gas mileage.

EPA Est. MPG (city / hwy):
TL 18 / 26
TL SH-AWD 17 / 25

I will admit that it looks better with the front grill painted, but why spend the money on a car like this to turn around and spend money color matching the front grill and the rear chrome piece? Acura has a direction for the car and it is in the same direction the the 1st and 2nd gen cars were, the 35+ demographic.

Acura took the 3rd gen in a different direction and it was a car that all ages like. Just look at its sales #'s.

I personally like the sportiness of the 3rd gen and this is why I was drawn to it. It was a 4 door sedan that had a sporty look and feel to it. I plan to keep the car till I can purchase something like the Tesla Model S, if they are ever offered some where near me were I can have it serviced.
Old 07-08-2009 | 08:54 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

^ i guess it really is 50/50... people either LOVE it or HATE it....

i tell you one thing.... i think its better than the 2.5 RL
fixed

are you sure?
Old 07-08-2009 | 08:59 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

I clearly remember when the 3G TL first came out. I loved acura since the legend days.I remember being 15 and I saw the 3G TL and said...

"wtf is that?"
they ruined the car....

not untill i saw the real beauty of the car...and fell in love...and owned one..

I can honestly say that the 4G AWD is doing something to me....
The FWD model looks to bland...

its like a 528i or 550i? hmm
Old 07-08-2009 | 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

nope
Old 07-08-2009 | 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's not as ugly as it was at first sight but its still ugly. For me, color makes a difference. Some colors seem to accentuate the ugliness more than others. In any event, I'm still glad I opted for an 08 Tech instead of waiting on the 4g. What I do when the lease is up in 2 years is still up in the air.
Old 07-08-2009 | 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
fixed

are you sure?
IMO the RL wears Acura's new styling better than the TL, but it's not as pretty as the 2G RL. I think I agree w/you about the styling being ahead of its time - the same thing happens w/many different vehicles when they're first introduced.
Old 07-08-2009 | 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

The styling doesn't seem as ugly as when I first saw it, but I still wouldn't want one. It's bigger, heavier, and slower than a 3G, with worse mileage. They took all the sportiness out of it. I'd rather have a V6 TSX.
Old 07-08-2009 | 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I think the RL looks better with the shield because the headlights are taller. If you look at the TL the front profile looks really awkward because the beak intrudes far into the hood and yet the headlights are still narrow like the 3G TLs.
Old 07-08-2009 | 10:22 AM
Under construction

^ I just noticed this too. Makes sense.
Old 07-08-2009 | 10:48 AM
Instructor

The 4G started to grow on me after I watched Transformers. But I got pissed when I drove up to 4Gs and they wouldn't transform. Now I hate them again.
Old 07-08-2009 | 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

FYI

2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT, beat (in this order)

1) Audi S4 6MT
2) BMW 335i 6MT
3) BMW 335xi 6MT
4) Infinity G37s 6MT

on the track, of course.... it beat them by a whopping 2.7 seconds on a 1.6 mile course.. straight line, just about every car will crush it..
Curious...do you have a link to the test?
Old 07-08-2009 | 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Nevermind...found it on the Edmunds site. Very impressive article....although the test was a Honda/Acura hosted event, makes you wonder a little bit.

Regardless, I like the 4G. Despite some awkward styling elements, in the right colour with the 18" or 19" wheels, the car looks great in person IMO. And it is a technically better car in almost every way than the 3G.

I'm hoping they pump out a 350 HP Type S in another couple of years!
Old 07-08-2009 | 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

No. The guys wife across the street has one, its barf city.

As for the 2010 6spd beating everybody on the track, this was a major league publicity stunt.

The TL was a prototype not a production car, so who knows how it was equipped.

The "track" was not a track but a very tight, low speed Honda owned development circuit on which a Civic or Mini would clean all their clocks.

If & when Car & Driver includes the 2010 TL 6spd in its annual shootout at Virginia International Raceway there is no way to compare how it will stack up in the real world against the other cars.
Old 07-08-2009 | 01:08 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by kubr1ck
The 4G started to grow on me after I watched Transformers. But I got pissed when I drove up to 4Gs and they wouldn't transform. Now I hate them again.
funniest post in this thread
Old 07-08-2009 | 01:11 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
^ Nevermind...found it on the Edmunds site. Very impressive article....although the test was a Honda/Acura hosted event, makes you wonder a little bit.

Regardless, I like the 4G. Despite some awkward styling elements, in the right colour with the 18" or 19" wheels, the car looks great in person IMO. And it is a technically better car in almost every way than the 3G.

I'm hoping they pump out a 350 HP Type S in another couple of years!
i didnt know the event was honda/acura hosted.... but still, the SH-AWD is a phenomenal system.... the 2G RL was probably a fun car to drive too

Blazing- the 3G RL is nice, but im just not sold on it... maybe b/c i feel what everybody in this thread feels about the TL... i think previous generation was SOOO much hotter.... the interior, is not changed much at all on the 3G RL... Acura cant sell these cars if their lives depended on it.... why spend $50k+ on an RL, when the TL is faster, lighter, better technology, more attractive (opinionated)

The RL only has the PAX/CMBS options and the adaptive headlights... is that worth $10gs to you? Of course, i do like the RL interior a tad more then the 4G as its more luxurious... but i still think the 4G TL interior is the shit
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:41 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

i didnt know the event was honda/acura hosted.... but still, the SH-AWD is a phenomenal system.... the 2G RL was probably a fun car to drive too

Blazing- the 3G RL is nice, but im just not sold on it... maybe b/c i feel what everybody in this thread feels about the TL... i think previous generation was SOOO much hotter.... the interior, is not changed much at all on the 3G RL... Acura cant sell these cars if their lives depended on it.... why spend $50k+ on an RL, when the TL is faster, lighter, better technology, more attractive (opinionated)

The RL only has the PAX/CMBS options and the adaptive headlights... is that worth $10gs to you? Of course, i do like the RL interior a tad more then the 4G as its more luxurious... but i still think the 4G TL interior is the shit
I have to disagree with you on this. I dont want to get into looks because it is very subjective. On the other hand I don't believe the TL has more technology in it that a RL. Of course the TL should be faster. Weight to power ratio. It is like the 3 series and the 5 series. The 3 should be faster than teh 5. The RL was not made for speed.

After owning both a TL and a RL and even though they are used. I can see why the RL is about 10gs more. But I can only do the comparison for 2G RL to 3G TL. I love both don't get me wrong.

The TL has the RL beat only in speed.

Not Technology or Comfort. Even then the AWD was a plus to have. Alos the rear privacy shade and side shades is also another feature. All these things do add up to show why teh RL should cost more. There are also several more features why. I would let 037 touch more on the 09 RL since he has one.

P.S. allon the "3G RL" is a 2.5G RL just because it is a MMC (mid model change)

Last edited by Blazing GT; 07-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2009 | 03:59 PM
Racer

Blackacura was youre 08 tl-s auto or manual? if it was auto, does your 4g TL feel slower than the 3g tl type s ? can 3g type s auto take on 4g tl sh-awd?
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lldknyll26
Blackacura was youre 08 tl-s auto or manual? if it was auto, does your 4g TL feel slower than the 3g tl type s ? can 3g type s auto take on 4g tl sh-awd?
I've driven a 4G base w/tech, and I own a 08 TL-S auto. The 4G, at least the model I drove, drives like a bloated boat. Floaty, and plenty of body roll. It felt like crap compared to the TL-S, at least to me.

And yes, it felt slower.
Old 07-08-2009 | 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The "track" was not a track but a very tight, low speed Honda owned development circuit on which a Civic or Mini would clean all their clocks.
Ok...then the fact that a close to 4000 lb sedan is agile enough around a closed course, no matter how short....enough to beat the "hardcore" sports sedans is a testament as to how well it handles.

If true and the TL wasn't specially prepped (moreso than the other cars in the test), then that's a helluva accomplishment.

Quick Reply: 4G TL growing on you?