3rd Gen TL AC help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018 | 06:38 PM
Advanced

Exclamation 3rd Gen TL AC help

hey yall, tried researching this and found a few things on here about the RL model but not much on a TL, so figured id ask..

got a 04 TL 6MT 159k on it and the day i bought it the AC was freezing! bew hard etc, then it started to get muggy/humid feeling? at stop lights and go cold again a bit once beginning to drive again, now it is cold/feels good for about 3-4miles then itll go muggy/humid.. any thoughts? before i change out the AC compressor, was curious if anyone knows what i could try first? i removed some freon and added some new to the proper levels, well within range, fans work, ac blows hard no abnormal noises etc, just feels great then goes muggy!! hell my wifes 02 civic lx with 319k original ac blows great!... beginning to think there might be air in there? maybe not properly fueled with freon? (some freon bottles ya have to have them upside down to get the juice in there)

any help appreciated!!!
Old 08-02-2018 | 10:17 AM
CAD Guy

When the air no longer blows cold is the compressor clutch still engaged? If it isn't still engaged then there is a possibility the A/C relay is the problem (easy test is to just swap it with another relay that is already in the fuse box underneath the hood) or the field coil in the compressor, along with the possibility of refrigerant level issue & other electrical issues. On my 05 TL it was my field coil that was failing after about 10 minutes of driving, it would get hot and then show an open circuit when ohm tested. I ended up replacing the field coil & clutch assembly with OEM parts vs the entire compressor.
Old 08-02-2018 | 10:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 05 Acura TL
When the air no longer blows cold is the compressor clutch still engaged? If it isn't still engaged then there is a possibility the A/C relay is the problem (easy test is to just swap it with another relay that is already in the fuse box underneath the hood) or the field coil in the compressor, along with the possibility of refrigerant level issue & other electrical issues. On my 05 TL it was my field coil that was failing after about 10 minutes of driving, it would get hot and then show an open circuit when ohm tested. I ended up replacing the field coil & clutch assembly with OEM parts vs the entire compressor.

not sire how how would I test to see if the clutch is still engaged when it gets humid/muggy when I’d be driving the car? Lol! I could maybe try letting it idle 10mins or so and look? But usually happens now when driving awhile..
Old 08-02-2018 | 10:33 AM
CAD Guy

Well if you can after driving for a bit and the A/C is no longer cold pull over in a parking lot and pop the hood while it is running and take a look at the compressor. The pulley should be spinning regardless, but if the clutch isn't engaging you should see it just sitting still next the pulley spinning.
Old 08-02-2018 | 11:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 05 Acura TL
Well if you can after driving for a bit and the A/C is no longer cold pull over in a parking lot and pop the hood while it is running and take a look at the compressor. The pulley should be spinning regardless, but if the clutch isn't engaging you should see it just sitting still next the pulley spinning.

alright man ill do that and have a look and get back on here with results!
Old 08-05-2018 | 04:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nicknackzz13
not sire how how would I test to see if the clutch is still engaged when it gets humid/muggy when I’d be driving the car?
Use a small camera like a GoPro or a Swan and fasten it to something where it will have a view of the compressor. Go for your drive and try to reproduce the symptoms, then review your camera footage. See if a compressor clutch disengagement coincides with a time you remember a loss of cold air while you were driving.
Old 08-05-2018 | 08:05 PM
Advanced

Sooo... maybe someone can help without making a new thread ? Lol

i thought my ac was over charged so I let some out, think I let too much out? Lol air is blowing warmish since I left some out !! And the gauge is reading it’s in the blue reading in the Freon?... lol oops! I’m gonna buy a new can of Freon and let it all out or most and just add the new?
Old 08-05-2018 | 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't recharge it anymore, unless you do it the right way.

This method will also get rid of moisture in the system.

If compressor works, proper recharge is the first step.

Amazon Amazon

You can get one of those kits that come with vacuum pump, or you should be able to rent one in autozone etc.
Old 08-05-2018 | 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peter6
Don't recharge it anymore, unless you do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdq8JAlct6s

This method will also get rid of moisture in the system.

If compressor works, proper recharge is the first step.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=ac+gauges

You can get one of those kits that come with vacuum pump, or you should be able to rent one in autozone etc.

awesome video! Gonna get this kit from autozone tool renthal crap tmo! And do this, will this remove whatever is in there? So I can just add more? And will i need any oil for the compressor ? Keeping in mind it’s original compressor I’m just wanting to do what he done in the vid remove moisture and any remaining Freon and then re add Freon!
Old 08-06-2018 | 11:13 AM
Advanced

Getting gauges from autozone on loan and hopefully the pump too, got 2 cans of refrigerant I believe it takes a min 17oz to a max 19oz my cans are 12iz each so I’ll add a full can then somehow figure out the rest from the second can! Had to buy the van valve myself but curious how do I let any air out of the system? Is that what the pump is for? Or do I add the valves to L and H and open them up to let whatever left out then recharge properly
Old 08-06-2018 | 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Watch that video again.

...I believe it takes a min 17oz to a max 19oz my cans are 12iz each...
There should be a sticker under the hood with amount of refrigerant that is required. Too much is not good for the system.

...somehow figure out the rest from the second can...
Use a digital scale like any of
Amazon Amazon
Just make sure that max weight it can measure is higher that weight of can + refrigerant when full. You can go to home depot or BBB or something similar. Even target should have scales.

... how do I let any air out of the system?...
Best would be to go to some shop and let them drain the system. My shop would "suck" everything out for free (as it's free refrigerant for us). Go to some shop and ask them.
Tell the guy that you want to do some work on AC and you just want to get it discharged.

Letting it out into the air is not the good idea as it's bad for environment, and might take too much oil out of the system.

...Is that what the pump is for?...
Pump is to create vacuum inside the system. We want that because we don't want any other gasses (or air) in the system, and also to boil out the moisture
(water boils and "converts" to vapor under the vacuum, and then it is removed from the system).

Like I wrote at the top, watch the video again.
Old 08-06-2018 | 06:23 PM
Advanced

Here’s the thing man, the video stated to keep both high and low valves open when adding the Freon, my ac compressor clutch isn’t engaging because now it’s low, I watched Eric the car guys video on this and he stated do not open the H side just the L side to let Freon in and the clutch should engage and let it in, I know how much Freon I need but I can’t seem to get the clutch to engage to let it in anymore? I know the clutch engaged before this because it was cold but not as cold, the system has been evacuated and pumped for 45mins.. so now I’m thinking of jumping the Ac clutch to engage but I’m unsure where to connect a wire or paperclil to in order to get it to come on long enough for me to add Freon so it can work on its own..?
Old 08-06-2018 | 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Watch the video from 8:40.

Both valves open when using vacuum pump, only low side open when charging.
Old 08-06-2018 | 07:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peter6
Watch the video from 8:40.

Both valves open when using vacuum pump, only low side open when charging.

well ill be damned.. might be my problem? 🤬🤬🤬🤬