3rd Gear TSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009 | 02:13 PM
Racer

Had the TSB work performed a few months back. Definitely worth it, no more notchiness in shifting to 3rd gear and one less worry.
Old 10-08-2009 | 02:37 PM
Instructor

I've been reluctant to do the tsb on 3rd gear out of fear that something else will go wrong. Sounds like there are several successful repairs. Anyone have it done in Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin yet? If so what dealer and how did it come out?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009 | 02:40 PM
#1 Super Guy!

I had mine done just before the warranty was up. No hassle to me since Acura always provides loaners (if requested). Work took several days, but came out great. They replaced a few engine mounts due to some vibration they were feeling afterwards. I'm thinking it may have just been my soft Kumho tires that flatspot overnight. Either way the shifter has been great ever since...

To those that are unsure about having the trans yanked out and torn down, give the "GM Synchromesh Friction Modified" a try first. It's relatively cheap ($30+ for 2qt) and an easy DIY to boot. And if you still have a long time left on your warranty, you can always get the 3rd gear replaced later (if GM SFM doesn't fix the problem)...

BTW: I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain about the GM fluid...
Old 10-08-2009 | 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Had mine done when the TSB first came out. I chose wisely

Actually, it has worked out very well & am glad I did it.

BTW I have rebuilt any number of both manual & auto transmissions & it aint rocket science.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-08-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2009 | 06:51 PM
Advanced

I bought a 2006 TL M/T last April. After about 2 weeks of driving I noticed the notchiness and about once a day the 3rd gear would fall back out if I shifted casually. One out of every ten shifts into 3rd and later even 4th gear felt "mushy".
So I took the car to my local dealer and they looked up its history- the warranty 3rd gear service was already performed on this car. I didn't ask how many miles was put on the car since.

I drove it though the summer and the problem seemed to be less persistent- possibly due to warmer temperatures, but also due to carefull shifting.

This week my oil change was due and I got a "check engine" light warning so I took it in for service. While there I asked about the Syncromesh and they knew all about it. They didn't object to putting it in- I specifically asked about voiding warranty- I have another 12k miles and 6 months left.

I put about 30 miles on the car since and the transmission feels like it's supposed to. It shifts smooth and quick- no resistance, no falling out of gear.
If I have to change the TF every 2 to 3 years- that's a small price to pay for a very enjoyable ride. I usually put 6k miles per year on my car- I might be good for 3 to 4 years. 60 dollars well spent if you ask me.

Last edited by Thuneau; 10-08-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2009 | 11:47 PM
Instructor

so ive had my car for 6 months now...it is a 6 spd with the tsb recall done...theres a few questions i have!

1) Does anyone with the recall done notice any clicking going into 3rd sometimes 4th (every once in awhile)?

2) The recall was done at 40,000 km. Im now at 70,000 km. Would changing my tf so soon cause any issues (good tranny gunk)?

3) Does anyone notice a difference with their tranny throughout the cold winter months (people with gmsfm)?

4) There is no grinding, just the annoying clicks. Should I even bother!?

Thanx
Old 10-09-2009 | 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Marx1
so ive had my car for 6 months now...it is a 6 spd with the tsb recall done...theres a few questions i have!

1) Does anyone with the recall done notice any clicking going into 3rd sometimes 4th (every once in awhile)?

2) The recall was done at 40,000 km. Im now at 70,000 km. Would changing my tf so soon cause any issues (good tranny gunk)?

3) Does anyone notice a difference with their tranny throughout the cold winter months (people with gmsfm)?

4) There is no grinding, just the annoying clicks. Should I even bother!?

Thanx
#1. I can't answer this one since my '04 manual TL has never had any transmission problems of any sort.

#2. None whatsoever. If you are concerned about warranty issues, do the drain and fill with Honda's fluid or use Amsoil since it is a recommended alternative on their website.

#3. Our winters are not generally that cold down here, but we do get days in the 20's. My manual exhibits no sluggishness or difficultly in cold weather at all. It has never had any problems with the cold.

#4. This is the item I am more concerned about. Can you be more specific with this sound such as, when does the clicking start (is it as soon as you start to move the shifter to the next gear, for example or is it just before your shift is completed)? What exactly does the clicking sound like (dull or sharp - as in muted or tingy)? Does it occur all the time, frequently, or jsut occassionally? Are you having any problems with shifting into 3rd gear, particularly when the clicking occurs?

For the clicking sound, the first thing that comes to mind is the blocker rings. But please offer some more info on this if you can.
Old 10-09-2009 | 12:03 PM
Intermediate

I had mine done about three months back and so far so good.

One question I have is that I dropped my car at the dealer in the morning and they completed it the same day.

Seeing some posts where the dealer kept it for a couple of days, should I be concerned that it was done within the same day?

For this job I would have thought they would need at least one full day to do the job right.

My warranty is up so I'm just thinking about anything that may happen in the future.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2009 | 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Had mine done to my 08 TL Type S. Went without a hitch!
No more issues going into third!

Praise to Atlantic Acura in Halifax Nova Scotia!
Old 10-10-2009 | 07:16 PM
Instructor

thanx for the quick response southernboy! so in regards to the clicking...it will happen just before the shift is finished, there is no sound, just feel...and the click feels as if its a pop...almost like there are 2 stages to the shift...this only happens every so often (once overy 15-20 shifts)...but it does get annoying
Old 10-10-2009 | 07:35 PM
Safety Car

I'm in a climate where temps hit -30F in the winter. All I notice that the shifter movement is slower until things warm up. I've had GMSMFM in for about 20K mi.
Old 10-10-2009 | 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Marx1
thanx for the quick response southernboy! so in regards to the clicking...it will happen just before the shift is finished, there is no sound, just feel...and the click feels as if its a pop...almost like there are 2 stages to the shift...this only happens every so often (once overy 15-20 shifts)...but it does get annoying
You're most welcome.

So since it is more like a click than a grinding sound, then I would really lean towards the blocker rings from your description here, but I would not rule out the synchronizers showing some wear as well.
Old 10-13-2009 | 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Hi guys, i have a 2007 Type-S with MT. i have had it for about a year now. when i first bought it, i noticed the issue with the third gear; but i did not pay much attention to it. few months ago i decided to do some research and i found out about the third gear issue with these cars. the problem was more noticeable in cold weather; so i took it to the dealer (Ralley Acura, in port Washington NY) they had one of their mechanic test drove it. this was like back in may, he only drove the car for 5Min so he only noticed the third gear problem once. so they told me that it was ok and that if the problem persisted to bring it back. now by this time they most have known that there was a TSB out for this. anyways, last month i went back for service, oil change, etc and they told me that it was time to change the Transmissions fluid, i said fine go ahead and do it. after that i noticed that the third gear feels alot better. and honestly i don't feel the problem anymore. once in a while it feels a bit funny but it goes in and doesn't pop out, but this was just a month ago. (they never told me that they were going to put any special fluid, but iam assuming that they did because it feels alot better). i really want them to fix the problem by doing the TSB; i'm afraid that if i don't get it fix, it will get worse later on, and by then i'll be out of warranty. what can i do to make them fix it; since right now the car seems ok, and it would be hard to replicate the problem. i have 32000 miles on it right now. any suggestions will be appreciated. thank you in advance.
Old 11-11-2009 | 10:51 AM
Intermediate

I've got an 06 TL 6MT with 37,000 miles on it. I've owned it for 7 months and noticed the 3rd gear problem since day one. I've adapted my shifting style to the point that I know when to apply the extra pressure to get it to go into gear. It's a PITA though, and I decided that whenever I needed service I would get the dealer to look at it.

I took the car in for brakes yesterday and got the tech to reproduce the issue. They're ordering me the parts for installation next Tuesday. I'm excited
Old 11-11-2009 | 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jsh139
I've got an 06 TL 6MT with 37,000 miles on it. I've owned it for 7 months and noticed the 3rd gear problem since day one. I've adapted my shifting style to the point that I know when to apply the extra pressure to get it to go into gear. It's a PITA though, and I decided that whenever I needed service I would get the dealer to look at it.

I took the car in for brakes yesterday and got the tech to reproduce the issue. They're ordering me the parts for installation next Tuesday. I'm excited
If you're having to apply extra, or abnormal, force to get into gear, you are increasing the wear on your synchronizers. That extra force which is needed is more than likely the synchros trying to match shaft speeds. However, it could be caused by blocker rings failing to mesh.
Old 11-18-2009 | 09:35 PM
8th Gear

Had the TSB done a month ago

1. Have you updated to the revised Acura MTF? (Did it change anything) Yes, but went right back after 5-10K miles
2. Have you brought your car into an Acura Dealer for inspection (What was the outcome?) Yes, and they tried to say that they didn't notice anything. Finally, they agreed to fix it.
3. Have you had the 3rd gear set replaced and if so did it resolve the issue? Yes, and 3rd gear is great now, but....
4. Did you try or switch to MTF like GM/Penzoil Syncromesh FM or Non FM? What was the result? Not yet, but thinking about it now. Any advice ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'05 with 36K miles, had the 3rd gear issue since I bought it with 12K miles, but not too bad. It was just difficult to get into 3rd gear on occasion. Just out of warranty, but Acura did the tsb for me at 90/10. Not too bad, I thought. One month later, and I'm getting an occasional grind going into 5th gear. Anyone have this problem as well ?
Old 11-19-2009 | 08:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racecar Stroller
1. Have you updated to the revised Acura MTF? (Did it change anything) Yes, but went right back after 5-10K miles
2. Have you brought your car into an Acura Dealer for inspection (What was the outcome?) Yes, and they tried to say that they didn't notice anything. Finally, they agreed to fix it.
3. Have you had the 3rd gear set replaced and if so did it resolve the issue? Yes, and 3rd gear is great now, but....
4. Did you try or switch to MTF like GM/Penzoil Syncromesh FM or Non FM? What was the result? Not yet, but thinking about it now. Any advice ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'05 with 36K miles, had the 3rd gear issue since I bought it with 12K miles, but not too bad. It was just difficult to get into 3rd gear on occasion. Just out of warranty, but Acura did the tsb for me at 90/10. Not too bad, I thought. One month later, and I'm getting an occasional grind going into 5th gear. Anyone have this problem as well ?
What does the "but..." mean on #3? Are you having other issues?
Old 11-19-2009 | 09:05 PM
8th Gear

To KN_TL, yes other issues....

It appears to be having grinding problems with 5th gear now. I'm holding my breath on this, but it has happened about 3 times now. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if they did anything about it.

I don't know if I want to take it back, because the same thing could keep happening with the other gears. I'm considering trying the GMSMFM before it gets any worse.
Old 11-20-2009 | 12:24 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Well try it soon. From what I've heard, it's been discontinued...
Old 11-20-2009 | 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Well try it soon. From what I've heard, it's been discontinued...
Serious??? Well that's a real bummer.
Old 11-20-2009 | 07:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racecar Stroller
It appears to be having grinding problems with 5th gear now. I'm holding my breath on this, but it has happened about 3 times now. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if they did anything about it.

I don't know if I want to take it back, because the same thing could keep happening with the other gears. I'm considering trying the GMSMFM before it gets any worse.
Take it back! I would think now that they've opened it up and more problems follow, then it's on them to fix or replace it.

That was my fear all along with this TSB. That the dealership mechanics were not going to get it right and actually make things worse.
Old 11-20-2009 | 01:41 PM
Advanced

I've been scratching my head for the last two weeks (just got my 05 TL 2 weeks ago) about why it would sometimes NOT go completely into 3rd gear. Finally found this thread last nite.

I printed out the TSB and took it to the Santa Monica Acura service dept and they were surprised that I actually had the actual TSB haha. I had them look up the warranty service history and the last owner didn't have it done. Now they're in the middle of looking at it to see if they can replicate the issues I've described (which are as described in this thread, for the most part).

In the meantime, I'm kinda digging the loaner TSX they gave me. Never drove a car with paddle shifters before and it's kinda fun.
Old 11-21-2009 | 08:37 AM
'06 NBP : 6MT : NAVI

I have an 06 TL 6-MT that's had the 3rd gear notchiness since the beginning. I'm pretty sure I took it in for service one time with a complaint about the 3rd gear popping out, but mostly when it was really cold out and the car had been sitting overnight. At the time they couldn't reproduce the problem and this TSB didn't exist.
I put in GM synchromesh around 15-20k miles and it helped tremendously. I now have around 65k miles on the car (out of warranty). I haven't been on AZ for a while and I just found this TSB today.

Do you think my dealer would do a goodwill replacement of the 3rd gear set under warranty since the vehicle was brought in for this problem in the past? I can't find my service record, but I'm sure the dealer keeps these records.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2009 | 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by met152
I have an 06 TL 6-MT that's had the 3rd gear notchiness since the beginning. I'm pretty sure I took it in for service one time with a complaint about the 3rd gear popping out, but mostly when it was really cold out and the car had been sitting overnight. At the time they couldn't reproduce the problem and this TSB didn't exist.
I put in GM synchromesh around 15-20k miles and it helped tremendously. I now have around 65k miles on the car (out of warranty). I haven't been on AZ for a while and I just found this TSB today.

Do you think my dealer would do a goodwill replacement of the 3rd gear set under warranty since the vehicle was brought in for this problem in the past? I can't find my service record, but I'm sure the dealer keeps these records.

Any thoughts?
Are you having problems? If not, I would just leave it alone. If you are, then I would try. They should have it on record.
Old 11-23-2009 | 03:18 PM
Intermediate

The dealer has had my car for a week. They say it will be done tomorrow. I'm hoping it took so long because they took their time and did the job right.
Old 11-23-2009 | 03:37 PM
Advanced

The dealer has had my car for a week. They say it will be done tomorrow. I'm hoping it took so long because they took their time and did the job right.

I dropped off my TL on Friday and found out Saturday morning that they were able to confirm the issue. Said they need to get the work approved from the "extended warranty" department and they'll start the work. Assuming they have the parts (service advisor wasn't sure) they said it would take a day or two at most to fix. It would take up to a week if they didn't have the parts.
Old 11-23-2009 | 03:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThaiBruin
I dropped off my TL on Friday and found out Saturday morning that they were able to confirm the issue. Said they need to get the work approved from the "extended warranty" department and they'll start the work. Assuming they have the parts (service advisor wasn't sure) they said it would take a day or two at most to fix. It would take up to a week if they didn't have the parts.

I have about 49000 miles on my TL. I have never been to the dealer before. Do I just make an appointment saying to fix my 3rd gear and print out the TSB? I just hope they know what i'm talkign about and they won't look at me like a fool. plus, my HFL is not working.
Old 11-23-2009 | 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Make an appointment online at their website.
Old 11-23-2009 | 04:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
Make an appointment online at their website.
I just did it. woot woot. I need to get some of my stuff fixed.
Old 11-23-2009 | 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Good luck

Should make a list..almost out of factory warranty.
Old 11-23-2009 | 04:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
I just did it. woot woot. I need to get some of my stuff fixed.

Make sure you bring a printout of the TSB (available on the first page of this thread) and tell them that the problem is intermittent, and they'll need to drive it around for a day. Shouldn't be a problem especially if you have the official TSB that the service techs would get.
Old 11-24-2009 | 06:28 PM
Advanced

ugh. they barely got the authorization today and need to special order the parts. doesn't help that it's Turkey Day weekend. Won't have my car back until Monday or Tuesday of next week at the earliest. Hope this is all worth it!
Old 11-26-2009 | 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ThaiBruin
They had already ordered the parts and had them in-house. They called me yesterday and said that the tech broke a clip or a post of some kind in the transmission housing while putting it all back together. So, they had to order more parts and now it won't be done until Monday or Tuesday.

That's two weeks. Crazy. Really hoping I didn't make an annoying situation worse by having them tear apart my transmission.
Old 11-26-2009 | 12:43 PM
Registered Member

They had already ordered the parts and had them in-house. They called me yesterday and said that the tech broke a clip or a post of some kind in the transmission housing while putting it all back together. So, they had to order more parts and now it won't be done until Monday or Tuesday.

That's two weeks. Crazy. Really hoping I didn't make an annoying situation worse by having them tear apart my transmission.
Just one more incident the proves this point. Others, specifically dealer shops, could care less about your car. Find a nice little private repair shop you can trust and give them your money.
Old 11-26-2009 | 01:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Just one more incident the proves this point. Others, specifically dealer shops, could care less about your car. Find a nice little private repair shop you can trust and give them your money.
I would definitely NOT take it to a dealer if it weren't for the warranty. Actually, I probably would have just dealt with the minor annoyance with 3rd gear if I didn't have a warranty. But I'll see what happens come early next week. Too late to turn back now.
Old 11-26-2009 | 06:20 PM
Safety Car

Couldn't agree more.

I've had a couple incidents where the dealer ripped into something and it was never the same. In the end worse than the original symptom.

If I have to eventually replace something like this, I am going to do it myself. The service manual is so complete, it does everything except turn the wrenches.
Old 11-26-2009 | 06:28 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

So you're saying that it's better to leave it alone? I'm still under warranty, but when I first noticed this problem, I switched out my MTF to the GM fluid, 3x3.

I'm still under warranty, and I thought I'd take it in right around 50k to get this done and other odds and ends looked at.
Old 11-26-2009 | 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Scott, first thing they will do is switch out the fluid to their "new improved MTF" oil which came from factory in the type-s 6mt already. If the problem is still there, then they order new parts.

Thats what the service guy who helped me said
Old 11-26-2009 | 11:49 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^

That's straight retarded. If there's a TSB out, they should just go ahead and fix it...

Well, that does it. I'm not getting it done.
Old 11-27-2009 | 12:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug
^

That's straight retarded. If there's a TSB out, they should just go ahead and fix it...

Well, that does it. I'm not getting it done.

im bringing my car in on monday. we'll see what they say...... fix or new fluid?

Quick Reply: 3rd Gear TSB