Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Hood

I am planning on getting my hood wrapped in Di-Noc Carbon Fiber as soon as I have time. There's a 3M Store/Warehouse right by my house and they said they can do $5 a square ft. but I got to buy the minimum which is 5x4 feet. Not bad and I would need 6x4 for my hood anyway. I could always use the extra left over for my interior.

Anyway, my question is if I should stretch the material over the hood? I ask this because in most DIY Youtube videos, people tend to stretch it when they apply the vinyl. But I was thinking what is the purpose of that? I would think that if I just lay it on the hood without stretching it, more of the adhesive would stick onto one spot, making it more durable and less bubbling. Whereas stretching the vinyl would stretch the adhesive too, making it have less adhesive on the parts where it has been stretched.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by oarichard; 03-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
eeh I wouldn't do this. Do the roof in black and call it a day. That is unless your car is black, when just don't do anything
Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
have you worked with vinyl before?

it becomes pliable and easily conforms to corners and bends when you heat it up. it is necessary to heat it up, stretch, and lay down.

keep in mind that you shouldn't stretch CF too much or it'll lose it's pattern.

grab a hairdryer and get to work. heat is really what makes this process work. you won't have to stretch it "too much" since you are working with a mostly flat surface.

what color car?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by myron
eeh I wouldn't do this. Do the roof in black and call it a day. That is unless your car is black, when just don't do anything
Still thinking about doing the roof, maybe let a shop handle that one since it'll be all me doing it.

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
have you worked with vinyl before?

it becomes pliable and easily conforms to corners and bends when you heat it up. it is necessary to heat it up, stretch, and lay down.

keep in mind that you shouldn't stretch CF too much or it'll lose it's pattern.

grab a hairdryer and get to work. heat is really what makes this process work. you won't have to stretch it "too much" since you are working with a mostly flat surface.

what color car?
Not much, I mean I did my tail light/side markers tint a while back and JUST did minor interior pieces with the samples that 3m gave me, came out pretty good. I'm pretty handy, just gotta take my time in whatever I do.

Yea, I know the basic process but just some videos got me thinking, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKSmasdSoY8

They stretch the hell outta the vinyl. So it got me thinking, I'm sure that stretching like that isn't to great for the vinyl.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing as you SharkBreath. I was just wondering if "stretching" is a necessity when installing the vinyl.

Car color is ssm.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Chapter Leader (NorCal)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dinoc is much thicker than your typical vinyl used for cars. Stretching it too much will mess up the weave pattern. Dinoc was made for indoor applications but as we know has become popular amongst the mod community. As long as the installers know what they are doing you'll be fine. $5 per sq ft is dirt cheap. That's how much the material cost alone.. make sure its not a knock off. Ask to see the material. It will have the 3m logo all over the backing. Also once its on... its a bitch to get off and clean the residues. Again make sure they do good work. In the end you get what you pay for.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Racer

I would love to use Di-Noc externally but not sure how it would hold up look-wise with our heat and humidity. And it's impossible to coat it with clear coat, epoxy resin, etc. without it turning completely black.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:07 AM
I need a car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey can you tell me where this place you will get the di noc carbon vinyl from? btw if you want a cf hood i can sell you mine. i bought it 2 years ago and its been in storage, i haven't even put it on yet. im in san gabriel, 40min from fullyyyyyyy

but if you do di-noc the hood., it does look great! BUT just remember vinyl can only stretch so much before they give and sometime if you stretch a bit too much it wont shrink back to the original state say if you accidentally stretched too much.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by meesheddie
Dinoc is much thicker than your typical vinyl used for cars. Stretching it too much will mess up the weave pattern. Dinoc was made for indoor applications but as we know has become popular amongst the mod community. As long as the installers know what they are doing you'll be fine. $5 per sq ft is dirt cheap. That's how much the material cost alone.. make sure its not a knock off. Ask to see the material. It will have the 3m logo all over the backing. Also once its on... its a bitch to get off and clean the residues. Again make sure they do good work. In the end you get what you pay for.
Yea it's not a knock off for sure cuz they are suppliers of 3M products, they have a BIG 3M sign on their window. They also gave me some samples. Oh and I was going to do that myself but just decided on going with the black roof instead of a "carbon fiber" hood.

Originally Posted by ciscopath
I would love to use Di-Noc externally but not sure how it would hold up look-wise with our heat and humidity. And it's impossible to coat it with clear coat, epoxy resin, etc. without it turning completely black.
Yea, cali weather can get pretty hot sometimes.

Originally Posted by thait
hey can you tell me where this place you will get the di noc carbon vinyl from? btw if you want a cf hood i can sell you mine. i bought it 2 years ago and its been in storage, i haven't even put it on yet. im in san gabriel, 40min from fullyyyyyyy

but if you do di-noc the hood., it does look great! BUT just remember vinyl can only stretch so much before they give and sometime if you stretch a bit too much it wont shrink back to the original state say if you accidentally stretched too much.
Yea dude just give me a pm and we can talk about it. I MIGHT be interested in the carbon fiber hood, just shoot me a pm.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldnt do it

seen a blue tl type-s with the hood roof and trunk done and it looked really bad. i meet the owner and asked him what he was thinking when he did the job and he said he wanted a racey look. i was like wtf . long story short i told him it was ugly and hes a moron to do that to the type-s. he started talking shit and when he saw my tl and my brothers type-s he stood quiet.

so if your in nyc and see they raciest type-s with black roof hood and trunk just give hime your approval with a smile!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I watched the video-go for it!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
video was helpful...I'm gonna do my pillars on my TL:

car for reference:
Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ that's a good idea actually, mine might be fading a little so it would be a nice touch. Maybe do something else so it doesn't look too mismatched
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Chapter Leader (NorCal)

ok, i did mine. check it out here!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/3m-dinoc-roof-hood-trunk-lip-spoler-815736/