3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3g TL Long Term Reliability - Lifespan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tek i was thinking of u, but wasnt referring to u. lol. i just thought ud jump in as well since u joined the innovative crew lol....im glad u like them and i hope your enjoying your spirited driving since the install. I cant wait to get my car back together!!! lol,
i have your crossover, im designing the cover as we speak.... hit me up later we'll talk.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by BradE
Front Brembos on a TL-S don't last very long, and are expensive to replace. $150 for just the pads, and that is if you buy online. If you buy at the dealer, they are $200+. I have 8,700 miles on mine, and they need to be replaced within 3k miles.

Nobody knows about the rest, the car hasn't been out that long. The 5AT is modified version of the RL's trans, so hopefully it's not as weak as the previous version.
Wow, your Brembos must be completely different than those on my '04 manual. I did replace my pads at 25,500 miles but only because I hated all of the dusting. I could have easily gotten 60,000 miles out of my stock pads which are still in a box in my garage. My next door neighbor has an '05 manual and he has over 80,000 miles on his stock pads.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I'm about to hit 120k miles on my '04 AT. The brakes/rotors needed to be fixed early in their life under warranty because they warped. Outside of that, no issues or repairs I can recall other than the usual oil change, tires, timing belt, etc. The biggest expense was the timing belt around the 100k mark. I'm about to replace my brake pads (hopefully not the rotors). They have been my biggest complaint about the car - they've been squealing to holy heck since they were initially replaced thousands of miles ago. I've taken it to the dealer and Firestone, but both said I had plenty of pad left and "de-glazed" the rotors, but the noise starts up again soon after. It's at its worst when it's cold outside or when the brakes are cold.

I've been thinking about replacing her in the next 20k miles or so, but can't find a car I like out there other than an A5, but that thing's overpriced. *sigh*... guess I'll keep driving her.
Did you bed them in?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
i did my rotors and pads at around 32k. that was pushing it. i did it after i got my safety inspection in VA. the dude said i barely passed.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
share some info about my 04 Tl Auto. all regular oil changes every 7.5k, stock tires replaced around 50k. stock battery dead and replaced around 40k. no other problems what so ever till around 110k. a bunch of services done around 110k, timing belt, spark plug, valve adjustment, transmission flushed, steering fluid flushed. I'm currently at 118k. just had front break pad replaced and rotor resurfaced. recently APP sensor errored out me twice causing check engine light on. restarting car fixes the error temporarly but I ordered new sensor to get it replaced. just lost driver rear door handle cap last week. dealer told me current battery(walmart everstart) is about to die.

I'm wishing another 50k out of my car. the ex and interior still look very new.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently traded my 05 TL Base. I had gotten on that thing so many times. I had 123K on the body and 105 on the engine. I traded it before I'd need to get the tune up done. So I managed to exscape that. :P But in terms of things that I encountered. I got the engine replaced at 72K for a knocking sound. So Acura replaced it under warranty after jerking me around a month. Acting like they didnt know what the problem was.. All I did was changed my oil with synthetic since 60K on the new engine and replaced the tranny fluid every 15K. She loved it. And I mean I went 140 in the thing..

But besides that, my air bag light came on and never went off. I replaced the sensors myself still stayed on so I said hell with it. Also my Navigation stopped working around 98K. So I sent it into Alpine and had it fixed for $130 MUCH better than what Acura was asking to fix it. So all little things, but if you dont know how to deal with them. It CAN become a little expensive. You just gotta be smart and see what you can do.

I then traded for an 07 TL-S 6MT recently in Sept. I loved my original TL base. It had perfect power, I just wanted a tad bit more. I took the mods off and added them to my Type S easily. Well worth the trade. I got my S for 25K with a 100K warranty for everything. So lessons were learned with the first TL. My first issue with the TL-S is my CD player is not working. Then it randomly starts then stops working. Warranty should be able to handle it. But I love the TL and I think it's just as reliable as any Accord or typical Honda. Just parts sometimes can get expensive, but I try to get them all at Honda to save the price. Hope that helps.

TL's are very reliable! Just things go but, this website helped me out TONS.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll comment on the brake thing. I have an 05 6MT btw.

One of the earlier services I had to do were replacing the front brake pads & rotors despite buying the car brand new. At around 15K I recall having to toss on new pads and rotors. Now it is very possible that I may have been led astray by the dealership where I had them serviced (it was my first experience w/ Brembos and I didn't want to take it just anywhere). That being said, they were quite costly and I had to replace both the front brake pads and rotors (I was told they could not be re-surfaced due to being under the legal limit or something to that extent.

Then around 30K, I ran into a similar problem with the front set - the entire front rotor/pads needed to be replaced all over again. By this time I was getting quite irritated because I just assumed that "hey! these are powerful brakes and this is what it takes to keep them operational". Anyhow, I replaced them once again at the high dealer prices. Ohh and I had to replace the back assembly at this time also rotors/pads.

So fast forward another 12-15K miles somewhere, I noticed it was getting to be about taht time again and I was really just plan sick of the bullshit. So I started looking into other options, and ended up meeting Josh from Excelerate. I ended up taking a ride down to his shop and I was between the StopTech and Rotora system - and eventually, ended up w/ the Rotora Drilled + Slotted Rotors. The fronts I did around 45K miles and then I did the rears about 10K miles later. I matched them up w/ the Rotora ceramic pads.

Result: car stops on a dime, and I'm sitting pretty at 107K right now with the same rotors....and I just talked to Josh about needing to get new pads, cause they are down to 4mm now. He told me the rotors should still be good (I mean they LOOK Great for being 60K miles old).

That being said, I strongly feel that all the OEM parts the dealer tries to push on us are often not the best and I swear they just pull numbers out of a hat. The amount of profit they generate must be incredible. You have to remember, the MAJORITY of people who buy "luxury" vehicles are not car guys or gals - they are just run of the mill people looking for a good car, well known brand, and all the bells and whistles maybe. I've seen the service advisor walk into the waiting room while getting my oil changes done and quote customers exorbitant prices for the simplest services which I've learned are far cheaper elsewhere. But not everyone knows about Acurazine or the other resources out there....so yea I guess I feel bad for them a little bit.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great thread, excellent read.