Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G A-Spec body kit woes!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3G A-Spec body kit woes!!

Hi all. Before I start my rant, let me ask a question. For the ones that have the a-spec body kit on a 3G TL, do you have any gaps between the rear skirt and rear bumper?

In my case, I paid the dealer to install the complete kit. When I got my car back, I was in a complete shock! Both front corners (close to the wheel wells) at the front were separated from the front bumper, and the rear skirt was about a quarter inch separated from the rear bumper! After complaining to the service manager, he blamed the tape the kit came with, and they will re-do the front and rear skirts. He mentioned that small gaps in between are normal; just like every other panels in the car. Anyway, after the second install, the gap is still visible in the back, but less obvious. One area (approx. 2 inches) is seamless, yet the rest is approx. 1/16" apart. Again, if going according to the service manager's "acceptable tolerance" standard, this gap is "acceptable".

I had an OEM kit installed on my 99 Accord couple back then; the result was perfect. The skirts budded to the bumpers so tight that you wouldn't think that there were actually two pieces. I was expecting the same result for the TL. Maybe I am too picky??? So after debating for awhile, I have decided not to take it back to the dealer, and re-install the rear skirt myself (I have the installation manual). The question now is, how difficult is to take apart the skirt without damaging anything? Anyone has tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search before you post.

gap is not acceptable in my point of view. You can DIY and reinstall it where use 3M tape for the gap.

Check this thread out and it is by one of Mod. here

https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/bluetooth-car-kit-153237/
Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the same crappy bs excuses i got from my stealership..they offered me 10% discount toward the labor which i took because i didn't want to have a heart attack for being soooooooo mad at them. i just took it home and bought some 3M tapes and got it over with.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Look at the cars on their lot with the a-spec kit. If they don't have any gap, point that out to your service manager. Tell him to do it again so it looks like the cars he sells.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
the gap shouldn't be there. tell em to fix it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
improper prep job. THats all i can say. The tape that comes with it should atleast last a few weeks. IF ou want durability and good looks, go with the 3M automotive grade tape.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies/suggestions everyone.

If I am redoing the rear skirt myself, what precautions do I need to take in order to seperate the existing tape? I am just worry that I might break something due to improper handling. After I take it apart, I will retape with the 3M tape as per suggestion.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Advanced

same here,i just installed my front lip today and both sides have a gap,I added double sided tapes on the side but it wont stick,what brand name shoud i use??i got the Scotch 3M double sided tape..
Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by c2pid
If I am redoing the rear skirt myself, what precautions do I need to take in order to seperate the existing tape? I am just worry that I might break something due to improper handling. After I take it apart, I will retape with the 3M tape as per suggestion.
From some older threads, I remember that some people were able to add additional tape without removing the lip at all. Just pull the lip far enough apart that you can add tape. If possible, wipe the area with rubbing alcohol prior to adding the tape. Perform a search with keyword gap* to find the old threads discussing this. It should be linked in the Garage as well.

Originally Posted by chasieboy
same here,i just installed my front lip today and both sides have a gap,I added double sided tapes on the side but it wont stick,what brand name shoud i use??i got the Scotch 3M double sided tape..
Per the thread linked in post #2, 3M Super Strength Molding Tape. Check out the pictures in that thread for ideas on where to add additional tape.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Pro

re

i installed them myself with 3m back to back tape and ive seen gaps, i think its because of the cold winter we have in Montreal that caused it, i will be filling the gaps with a black silicone in the spring, im sure it will fix the problem but not a big problem after all
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by italian_spak
i installed them myself with 3m back to back tape and ive seen gaps, i think its because of the cold winter we have in Montreal that caused it, i will be filling the gaps with a black silicone in the spring, im sure it will fix the problem but not a big problem after all
forgot to mention that it should be applied in 65 degress ferignheight minimum
Old 02-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
^
and after you have prepped the paint by wiping it down with rubbing alcohol.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Same thing happened to me. Took the A-spec kit I bought from HondAcuraworld.com and had Sierra Acura in Alhambra, CA do the install. I come back to see a gaps in the kit everywhere. All around the front lip is a small gap that gets larger around the bends toward the wheels. Side are ok, but very loose. The rear looks a little off centered, has a huge 1/4" gap on the upper passenger side corner where it meets the bumper, and the paint was damaged on the kit.

Front(same gaps on both sides)

Rear upper passenger side corner

Paint Damage on upper rear center

The dealer said the kit was damaged/warped and missing screws, brackets and clips. He also told me the kit most likely didn't pass inspection and somehow was sold anyway. Basically, they won't touch it again until i show them proof that I bought it from an Acura Dealership. So for now I'm stuck with the gaps and the loose sides until I get either a proof of purchase from a dealership or I find a time or a body shop to redo it.

sorry for the hijack/rant... it's been bugging me for a while.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
make the dealer replace the rear and re-install the whole thing correctly. that is not how it suppose to look, even with the tape that come with it.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:56 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that is really bad
Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW YarrTL that sux.... I feel your pain man
Old 02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
wow those are some horrible gaps...I installed the front lip with a friend last march in llike 50 degree weather. Came out fine...just use the 3M Double sided tape...make sure you get the tape with the red backing...thats the strongest one.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You should've told the people at the dealership if they didn't think the kit was up to proper specs and shouldn't have been sold, they should have told you so before installing to warn you that the job might not be right.

Tell them to stop trying to pull a fast one because that's not a legitimate excuse.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Instructor

YIKES!! those gaps look nasty. And I thought my gaps were bad.... sorry man. I'll do some digging around and I hope to find some older threads on how to re-tape the skirts. If I don't feel comfortable peeling apart what's on right now, I might just have to get a quote from a reputable body shop.

Originally Posted by YarrrTL
Same thing happened to me. Took the A-spec kit I bought from HondAcuraworld.com and had Sierra Acura in Alhambra, CA do the install. I come back to see a gaps in the kit everywhere. All around the front lip is a small gap that gets larger around the bends toward the wheels. Side are ok, but very loose. The rear looks a little off centered, has a huge 1/4" gap on the upper passenger side corner where it meets the bumper, and the paint was damaged on the kit.

Front(same gaps on both sides)

Rear upper passenger side corner

Paint Damage on upper rear center

The dealer said the kit was damaged/warped and missing screws, brackets and clips. He also told me the kit most likely didn't pass inspection and somehow was sold anyway. Basically, they won't touch it again until i show them proof that I bought it from an Acura Dealership. So for now I'm stuck with the gaps and the loose sides until I get either a proof of purchase from a dealership or I find a time or a body shop to redo it.

sorry for the hijack/rant... it's been bugging me for a while.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All I can say after looking at those hideous gaps is:

Thank you Rosenthal Acura!!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Acura Sales Manager

I think the tech that installed your kit didn't have much experience. The Honda accessory parts usually have very good fitment. They didn't line up the kit, before they peeled back the red tape's backing. As for the paint peeling, they probably dropped it on the shop's floor. The Acura parts are very well packaged in the shipping boxes. All the pieces of the underbody kit are wrapped in the foam wrap. I smell foul play at your dealership.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Does anyone have previous experience on removing the front and back skirts? How do you "break apart" the existing tape from the kit and the bumper? I am assuming just use a hair dryer to heat up the spot and slowly put it apart, but at the same time I don't want to deform the shape by yanking on it too much. I tried looking in the "3G Garage". Found something on how to fix the problem but nothing on how to remove the kit to start the fix. Any tips would be great.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by csmeance
forgot to mention that it should be applied in 65 degress ferignheight minimum
the kit was installed last summer but i have noticed some gaps caused by this winter

Looking at those gaps, mine are invisible compared to those ones. Btw looking at how the kit was installed , those lines in the oem bumper should not be seen because the a-spec aligns itself equally with them, the tech that did you job didnt know anything and did a crappy job, id get my money back or tell him to redo free of charge.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I posted this two years before the Mod's sticky on how to fix the Aspec gaps... I have a 2004 Aspec TL that I did all the Aspec mod's myself... including bodykit

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/strange-times-new-england-84445/

If you're dissatisfied with the fit and finish, you'll have to do it yourself w/ 3M Heavy Duty double sided tape .. about $12.00 worth is all you'll need to re-do the entire car.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW .. my bodykit has held up very well for over 3 years now .. I also used dark gray outdoor weather sealer in some of the difficult to reduce gaps in order to protect the 3M tape from years of water damage...
Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow the back is really bad, the front is normal, it happens over time because of the crappy tape, as for the rear that is way out of proportion, i installed mine myself and there is no gap at all, acura even added several bolts in the rear lip to prevent it from seperating from the rear bumper over time! I also installed the front lip on my friends 07 type S and i noticed that they now are using different fasteners where you have to drill holes in your bumper to now secure it better to prevent it from seperating. I can see why you are soo pissed off i would be too, thats just not normal!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by italian_spak
the kit was installed last summer but i have noticed some gaps caused by this winter

Looking at those gaps, mine are invisible compared to those ones. Btw looking at how the kit was installed , those lines in the oem bumper should not be seen because the a-spec aligns itself equally with them, the tech that did you job didnt know anything and did a crappy job, id get my money back or tell him to redo free of charge.
Italian_Spak:

When you said "those lines in the oem bumper should not been seen because the a-spec aligns itself equally with them". do you mean the top of the rear skirt aligns with the bumper perfectly?? see pix below, the red line. If so, I am start to get confused...from looking at lot of members' TL with the kit, there is a small space (approx 1/4") between the rear skirt and the bumper line.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I posted this two years before the Mod's sticky on how to fix the Aspec gaps... I have a 2004 Aspec TL that I did all the Aspec mod's myself... including bodykit

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84445

If you're dissatisfied with the fit and finish, you'll have to do it yourself w/ 3M Heavy Duty double sided tape .. about $12.00 worth is all you'll need to re-do the entire car.
Hi Peter. I have browse through your fix last night. Nice fix by the way. I guess the only question remain is, like some other members, how thick is the 3M tape? I do have a roll of 3M heavy tape at home. I don't have the packaging anymore, but I am sure it's the Heavy duty outdoor stuff. As far as I could remember, the packaging did mentioned about weather/water proof.

When you re-did your kit, how did you manage to take apart the kit? the original tape that came with the kit "should" be pretty strong. Like I mentioned with my earlier posting, just use a hair dryer and spot removal? I don't want to put it apart too hard, as I don't want to bend/deform the skirts. Thanks for any advice!