Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G owner drives a 4G

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
3G owner drives a 4G

I test drove a 4G tech SH w/ HPT and I was surprised.

The color was that silver in the ads. It makes the grill and rear deal (just below the trunk) not stand out so much.

I loved the fat steering wheel and the 19s looked good

This was probably a 30 -45min test drive -

Then I got a loaner tech fwd for 2 days

Even that car I liked. This was white.

and you know when I 1st saw the 4Gs I thought - ugly

but now I actually like it in some colors

even the fwd car drove well

I liked the low effort steering at slow speeds and how the effort increases at speed. The brake pedal feel is better

The tech in the car is great - key less - touch the door or trunk and it opens, and the key less start

iPod connection - great on the higher res screen

I loved the SH car.

And even the fwd car - I didnt want to return when my 3G's service was done

The shape I think will grow on us

I remember the MDX grill was somewhat out there at 1st but now it just looks good

Before you put the car down for its looks

--if you get the chance drive a 4G for a day or 2 (a test drive isn't enough time) and you may think different

After I parked the 4G next to a 3G at work - I have to say the shape , even the grill is starting to look good

Only wish I could have driven the SH AWD for more than just a test drive

(I posted this in the 4G forum 2 - just thought I would share my thoughts coming from a 04 TL)
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the look would grow if the bumper was alot more aggressive and that beak was gone. Period. You can hardly tell a difference with the aspec kit. The car is WAY too bland for me.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
You like how effortless the steering wheel is.....in other words you do not like to feel the road, so you are a casual driver, who like to stay in his lane, listen to Mozart, and who always gets hi-beamed from the back.. Yep, 4G is definitely for you.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
hey tekno king...are you russian? your lil avitar says "speed"
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
To me the 4G from the rear looks a lot like a Cadilac CTS which doesn't look bad. I'm just not crazy about the grill. I'll stick to my 3G thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always loved that completely keyless entry system and glad to hear they updated the braking, cause i always felt the TL brake pedal was a bit too sensitive for me, i prefer a bit of leeway
Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
To me the 4G from the rear looks a lot like a Cadilac CTS which doesn't look bad. I'm just not crazy about the grill. I'll stick to my 3G thanks.
The new Car and Driver that came in the mail this week has a review of the 4G SH-AWD. Bedard says that the Cadillac folks are stewing because Acura stole the design for the 2012 CTS.

Road & Track also have a review; theirs is better-written because it focuses more on the car. It's worth a read if you have any interest in the 4G.

I think the real question was raised by Car and Driver's John Phillips in a "Counterpoint" box next to Bedard's article. He asks whether, with the advent of the SH-AWD drive TL with the 3.7-litre engine, there is any point in buying an RL. (The SH-AWD 4G TL's MSRP with the tech package is around $43,000.) I tend to agree with him. Latest rumor I saw is that they may move the V-8 RL up to 2011, but that will depend on what the economy does.

I'm not going to be in the market any time soon and I'm happy with my 3G TL, but the car that interests me more than the 4G is the upcoming diesel TSX. I think both the 4G TL and the new TSX are ugly, but I think the TSX is less so because of the TL's rear, and I was quite favorably impressed with the turbodiesels I've driven in the UK.

My question for the OP relates to his comment that the 4G's brake pedal feel is better. Is your 3G a 6MT or a 5AT? Reason I ask is that in my experience AT brake pedals always feel spongier than MT brake pedals and so I'm just wondering which you presently drive.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Latest rumor I saw is that they may move the V-8 RL up to 2011, but that will depend on what the economy does.
Honda just said the other day the V8 wasn't coming until 2015.

http://www.motorauthority.com/acura-...-v8-power.html
Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Honda just said the other day the V8 wasn't coming until 2015.

http://www.motorauthority.com/acura-...-v8-power.html
I think I saw it in either Car and Driver or Road & Track. The news might have changed after the issue went to press. Who knows. I don't think I'll ever be buying an RL anyway, so I don't care that much.

Edited to add: I clicked your link and I don't think it supports a statement as strong as "Honda just said the other day." It's all unnamed sources allegedly giving conflicting info.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The new Car and Driver that came in the mail this week has a review of the 4G SH-AWD. Bedard says that the Cadillac folks are stewing because Acura stole the design for the 2012 CTS.
Honestly, GM has bigger things to worry about right now than the 2012 Cadillac. They can't afford to look past 2010.

I got an Acura magazine the other day. It sorta reminds me of those Skymall magazines I'm always stuck reading on the plane. It had a decent writeup about Acura's whole line and the only thing more that I see you get with the RL is heated and cooled leather seats, Adaptive cruise control, a standard Bose system (not DVD-A with ELS surround) and Zagat restaurant reviews in the navi - hardly a step up from the TL justifying the price increase, but it does looks like a Mercedes from the rear.

I think the looks of the 4G will grow on us eventually but not anytime soon for me to go out and get one.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I'm not going to be in the market any time soon and I'm happy with my 3G TL, but the car that interests me more than the 4G is the upcoming diesel TSX.
Bad news my friend- Plans for a diesel TSX has been placed on hold indefinately.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
Honestly, GM has bigger things to worry about right now than the 2012 Cadillac. They can't afford to look past 2010.

I think Bedard meant it as a joke referring to the styling.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new car is better... it's the evolution theory. That said, the looks are still horrible to me. Maybe it will grow on me in time, but for now I will keep my pimp white TL-S.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

I think the real question was raised by Car and Driver's John Phillips in a "Counterpoint" box next to Bedard's article. He asks whether, with the advent of the SH-AWD drive TL with the 3.7-litre engine, there is any point in buying an RL. (The SH-AWD 4G TL's MSRP with the tech package is around $43,000.) I tend to agree with him.
+1

I've a hunch that with the release of the larger 4G TL, price increase, less aggressive styling than outgoing 3G TL, similar features of the current RL, and add the very slow sales of the RL compared to it's rivals, the RL is going to be dropped entirely from the Acura lineup, with a plan to have the gap filled with the 4G TL.

In relation to sales figures, I think the RL would have been a GREAT *$40K car, unfortunately it has not been competitive at *$50K with it's (Lexus, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, etc) rivals. *prices are approx, but close enough for brand comparison purposes.

The current price point of the 4G TL makes perfect sense for Acura for sales. The cost is somewhat palatable with current TL owners/potential shoppers and a LOT more tempting with current/future RL shoppers.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Edited to add: I clicked your link and I don't think it supports a statement as strong as "Honda just said the other day." It's all unnamed sources allegedly giving conflicting info.
There were three or four links in the Honda V8 thread about the delay, I just grabbed the first one.

Oh, and I wouldn't consider an RL, either.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
You like how effortless the steering wheel is.....in other words you do not like to feel the road, so you are a casual driver, who like to stay in his lane, listen to Mozart, and who always gets hi-beamed from the back.. Yep, 4G is definitely for you.

no I meant at slow speeds - like when parking the steering is low effort.

with speed effort increases

believe w/ the SH AWD even more so

came close earlier this year to buy a BMW - if you want real road feel

just couldn't justify the difference in reliability btwn BMW and Acura
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimsta
I've always loved that completely keyless entry system and glad to hear they updated the braking, cause i always felt the TL brake pedal was a bit too sensitive for me, i prefer a bit of leeway

I don't believe the 4G was any less sensitive

just a felt like better brakes than a reg 3G, have not driven a 3G w/ brembo
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
Bad news my friend- Plans for a diesel TSX has been placed on hold indefinately.

the problem there is the fuel $ diff.

savings currently a wash

but torque and range +++
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S

at a car show when I first saw the new 4G in person ( hated it then)
- same show saw the CTS - have to admit at the time - thought was a cleaner design
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I had a loaner 09 White TL tech when my 06 TL was in for service. To me the car is not that great I would still upgrade to a Type S rather than a 09. I cannot stand the push button shift knob! But thats just me, if you like you like but me no way!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Road & Track also have a review; theirs is better-written because it focuses more on the car. It's worth a read if you have any interest in the 4G.

I think the real question was raised by Car and Driver's John Phillips in a "Counterpoint" box next to Bedard's article. He asks whether, with the advent of the SH-AWD drive TL with the 3.7-litre engine, there is any point in buying an RL. (The SH-AWD 4G TL's MSRP with the tech package is around $43,000.) I tend to agree with him. Latest rumor I saw is that they may move the V-8 RL up to 2011, but that will depend on what the economy does.

I'm not going to be in the market any time soon and I'm happy with my 3G TL, but the car that interests me more than the 4G is the upcoming diesel TSX. I think both the 4G TL and the new TSX are ugly, but I think the TSX is less so because of the TL's rear, and I was quite favorably impressed with the turbodiesels I've driven in the UK.

My question for the OP relates to his comment that the 4G's brake pedal feel is better. Is your 3G a 6MT or a 5AT? Reason I ask is that in my experience AT brake pedals always feel spongier than MT brake pedals and so I'm just wondering which you presently drive.

correct 5AT

had the same feelings on the TSX shape as you (haven't driven it)

I just don't see acura diesels selling in any great numbers w/ the the fuel diff cost in this country

if the price were closer btwn gas/diesel then I would be right there too

The BMW 3 series diesel 335D(?) has more torque than the 335i (both are turbos) and almost as fast - BMW has decided to charge a premium for their diesels. BMW sales are 70% diesel (not sure if overall or just the rest of the world)

again unless you can justify the fuel cost (and maybe purchase cost incr) with a greater range (yes great torque) - I think a diesel would be a hard sell here - I tell you the RDX needs one - its MPG is not great.

as far as why buy the RL - I have seen posts in the RL forum with just that subject. at least until the RL is updated now you get cooled seats, turning headlights, radar cruise control option that the TL doesn't have. Oh you can get what 2.9 and 0.9 on the RL & everything else but the 09 TL

one RL forum poster has a RL and bought his daughter a TL and raised the same points
Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

rattles

One thing the 4Gs I drove didn't have was my 3Gs rattles - center speaker, the doors on the pockets just above /in front of the trany shifter, the window / door edges.

I think acura may have learned something from the 3G there

on the SH AWD test drive the saleman wanted to show me the radio - I turned it off as seeing if the car had any rattles or not was something I wanted to know (my car always seems to be worse the colder the temp outside - about the one thing the bugs me about the car)

in the 3G the best way to fix em seems to be to turn up the radio
Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by crxb
the problem there is the fuel $ diff.

savings currently a wash

but torque and range +++
Diesels never really took off in the US. As being a former diesel engine owner... if you drive long distances, it is definitely worth it. The farther I drove, the better the mpg seemed to be for the car. It was a diesel Jetta which was rated at something like 40/49... but we got 60 mpg on the highway with it more than once when we drove to the beach or something like that! Awesome!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Interesting notes on the 4G comparison. My 3G will need tires and an alignment soon so I'll try to get a test drive while waiting.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced

I own an 06 auto TL. It's currently in the shop for some repairs and I was given a 09 TL as a loaner. While there are a couple things in the 4g that I like better than the 3g, the fat steering wheel being one, I still think the 3g has a better look and nicer interior.

I feel like the 3G TL's interior was designed for an Acura and also used in the Honda's...while the 4G Acura interior was designed for the Honda and used in the Acura. If that makes sense...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by saintv90
I own an 06 auto TL. It's currently in the shop for some repairs and I was given a 09 TL as a loaner. While there are a couple things in the 4g that I like better than the 3g, the fat steering wheel being one, I still think the 3g has a better look and nicer interior.

I feel like the 3G TL's interior was designed for an Acura and also used in the Honda's...while the 4G Acura interior was designed for the Honda and used in the Acura. If that makes sense...
did you check out the interior of a SH AWD TL?
the steering wheel is even thicker than the fwd wheel, the seats are bolstered more and have nice stitching, esp in black - (comes w/ black carpet too) - you need to see one of these

The loaner was just a fwd tech - that interior was not as sharp as the SH AWD
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crxb
I test drove a 4G tech SH w/ HPT and I was surprised.
I loved the fat steering wheel and the 19s looked good
This was probably a 30 -45min test drive -
I loved the SH car.
--if you get the chance drive a 4G for a day or 2 (a test drive isn't enough time) and you may think different

After I parked the 4G next to a 3G at work - I have to say the shape , even the grill is starting to look good

""Only wish I could have driven the SH AWD for more than just a test drive""
update - after a 2nd SH-AWD test drive - I bought one.
here is the 4G forum link w/ photos

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...awd-w-hpt.html

if you get a chance test drive the SH-AWD car