3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30k on 04 TL - Do I need to Do All this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30k on 04 TL - Do I need to Do All this?

Just took my car in for 30k service.
I was going to have them do oil, air cleaner & rotate tires.

They just called and told me they also want to do the following:

1) Alignment ($90)
2) Manual tranny fluid $129
3) Pollen Filter ($140)

NFW I'm doing the pollen filer, but what about the transmission fluid?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewie

1) Alignment ($90)
3) Pollen Filter ($140)

Thanks.
I don't let a dealer touch my car unless it's warranty covered work. All other routine maintenance is done by my independent mechanic who is a helluva lot cheaper and actually DOES the things I'm paying him to do.

I think service managers try to take people for rides on the pricing and what is needed when someone brings their car in.

Relative to your issues:

1) Is the car pulling one way or the other? Do you note abnormal tire wear in the inside/outside of the tire? If no, I would not have them do this. Plus, $90 is a little steep for an alignment.

2) If the manual hasn't bothered you yet - notchy shifting, then I would pass on this as well. Plus, you can find great DIY threads on here talking indepth about the manual tranny fluid change and you can do it a lot cheaper.

3) $140 for a freaking pollen filter????? This alone should let you know that they are taking you for a ride!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripp11
I don't let a dealer touch my car unless it's warranty covered work. All other routine maintenance is done by my independent mechanic who is a helluva lot cheaper and actually DOES the things I'm paying him to do.

I think service managers try to take people for rides on the pricing and what is needed when someone brings their car in.

Relative to your issues:

1) Is the car pulling one way or the other? Do you note abnormal tire wear in the inside/outside of the tire? If no, I would not have them do this. Plus, $90 is a little steep for an alignment.

2) If the manual hasn't bothered you yet - notchy shifting, then I would pass on this as well. Plus, you can find great DIY threads on here talking indepth about the manual tranny fluid change and you can do it a lot cheaper.

3) $140 for a freaking pollen filter????? This alone should let you know that they are taking you for a ride!
1) Concur

2) Yes, only to install MTL-P or GM Synchromesh. DIY, it's as easy as changing your own oil.

3) You SHOULD change this. The cost is all labor, becasue you have to apart the glovebox. It's not hard, but it's an afternoon wrestling with your dash. Again, DIY for $20.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stewie

1) Alignment ($90)
3) Pollen Filter ($140)

Thanks.
Pollen Filter for $140. I should go into business just changing Pollen filters. Took me ten minutes to change mine. The key here is not being afraid to pull off a panel. I had a lot of experience with the old Maxima so I popped the thing off with out a second thought, but I do know if its your first time, you would swear you are slowly breaking something...$34 for a charcoal cabin filter, 10 minute change, giving the guys at Acura the finger as you spend the rest of the money in a strip club, priceless...
Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Racer

I ended up doing the tranny fluid, tire rotation, oil and air cleaner for $200 total.

They said tires on one side were wearing a little more than the other, but I figure I'll be getting new tires in the not too distant future so I'll get the car aligned then.

People can't possibly be serious about the pollen filter.
Its a pure money-making scam for the dealer @ $140 a pop.

Its a freakin' car, not the operating room at the hospital!
The windows and sunroof are open ALL THE TIME letting all kinds of crap inside the car, not just pollen. Plus, the car doesn't even close to seal up tight anyway.
This explains how they still manage to sell all those $400 Ionic Breeze air cleaners that every study shows don't work.

I might change it myself at some point, but my car is still new and I don't want to create a rattle by taking my dash apart just yet.