Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 3 cars that i am trying to decide between

2005 Acura TL
2005 Chrysler 300c
2005 Saab 9.3 Aero

the TL really has the coolest interior stuff hands down. the NAV, the sound syetem and all the other stuff really makes this suker stand out

the 300c is the best looking car (exterior) i have seen in some time. it is like nothing else on the market....you dont get lost in "sedanville" with a 300C + 340 horses! the interior looks American by all means, and is nice but no TL. the Boston acoustic sound system is pretty amazing as well

the Saab 9.3 Aero...nothing that i have driven in feels so cool while driving then the 9.3. the interior feels kinda cheap--which really makes me mad, almost. this car, imo has the potential to be great. the loos are unique and you dont see one around every corner. i havent heard any postives or negatives on the new NAV on the 9.3. I do believe this car is a little pricey for what you get...compared to the TL and the likes, but with the GM discount i get it is very very competitive.

did any of you guys consider these cars in your choice? i know it is hard going to any (of the 3 car's message boards) for unbiased opinions, but why not eh?

anyway, thanks guys
Old 11-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's close. i'd get the TL for the features, and value.....but at the same time i love driving an american car with huge engines....you'll definitely feel more comfortable in a foreign car as fare as smoothness....and plus it's bigger i think than the TL. i don't know which components in the 300 are MB, but if it's not anything mechanical, then you'll be driving a bound to have problems american car. i'm getting a feel like the 300s didn't make a killing as much as the TLs.....i say stick with the TL....plus it's much more sporty lookin. -peace
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM
What's a TL?

Big fan of the 300c....problems are that it has a horrible interior and it is a gangster mobile. As for the Saab...any car that a manufacturer has to discount a car huge in order to sell it is clearly indicating that their car sucks. I do really like how the Saab looks, but the turbo lag + crappy reliability + not so great interiors= mediocre car.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Racer

well, the Saab isnt the only car GM disocunts. I mean, my F-I-L works for GM, so all emplyees get a discount much like any manufacturer does for their employees. fully loaded it is around 39,000. i can get it with nav for around 30,000

and yes the 300C is much larger then the other 2 cars. it was named Motor Trend Car of the Year this year. it is a cool car, but again the interior knobs and the like arnt as luxrious as the TL
Old 11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Dunno about the 300....every time I see one I expect to see tommy guns a-blazin' from the Al Capone gangsters in the backseat...though it's funny, I think the Dodge Magnum wagon looks cool.
I think the TL community is a little more exclusive, too. To me, buying a "loaded" car for 30+k should earn one a little "niche" of exclusivity. The 300 can be had for as little as 24k, while a loaded one pushes the 35k mark. Maybe it's elitism on my part...but I'm not sure I would want to spend the $$ needed for a nicely equipped 300, knowing the one sitting next to me went off the lot for nearly 10 grand less. It devalues the status, I guess. I know you can do the same thing with BMW & MB, but they have a little more earned cachet than does Chrysler.

just my .02

Hope you enjoy whichever one is the final choice!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Weapon X

I was in the same boat. I compared the 300 to the TL. The saab, Im not a big fan of. The higher class 300 gave the TL something to worry about. So I did more homework. Cyrslers are good for the first 40-45K miles. The body is what starts making noise. Loose panels, screws and rattling. Its not something I want to deal with in a car with 40K miles on it. But if you are leasing who cares.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

All nice, don't want to get to much into it but did want to voice my opinion, TL hands down.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
They're all good cars...

Chrysler 300 is rentable, so how's about driving it a day and think it over?

The good part for this is that you could buy it at home town, and rent it wherever you go in states.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:46 PM
I6

The Saab 9.3 Aero is nice. I like the exterior design. The interior lighting doesn't really impress me.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:19 PM
aw1
Pro

i was considering the saab 9.3, along with the 05 TL, G35 and the 330. went with the TL for all the goodies the car came with as standard equipment. cant beat acura for the bang for your buck. also, the size of the TL played a big part of me getting it rather than the other cars mentioned above. good luck with your decision you about to make.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:30 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by rets
Chrysler 300 is rentable, so how's about driving it a day and think it over?

The good part for this is that you could buy it at home town, and rent it wherever you go in states.
Rets brings up a good point. I usually try to avoid cars that you can rent...it says a lot about a car when it sits next to a Suzuki Areo....there are, of course, the exceptions in which some rental places carry luxury cars, but for the most part, I wouldn't want to own a car that I could rent.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Car Addict

I compared all three too.

Saab = 210 hp = not impressive, kind of generic looking but nice
300c = wife said it looked thuggy, I now don't like the trunk on them but they are cool cars

I think the TL is for the person who want's a sophisticated sporty car that makes 270hp.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The cars in the running when I bought my TL were the Cadillac CTS-V, the Ford Focus ZX4 ST (watch the arrogant TL maggots come out of the woodwork on that one), and the Corvette Z06.

I really like sedans, so that left the 'Vette out to lunch. And my wife kept putting a bug in my ear that I wouldn't be happy after a while with the Focus because it's a 4-cylinder and only has 151 HP. That left the CTS-V and the TL. My wife liked both of these about the same (I value her opinion), with a slight edge towards the Cadillac. But I started to see a few complaints show up with the CTS-V and most of the road tests were not getting what Cadillac had advertised (0-60 in 4.2 seconds and a quarter mile in 13.1 at 109 MPH).

I liked both of these sedans about the same as far as looks, with a slight edge in favor of the TL for me. Then I test drove one and the rest is history for me.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Racer

If you value reliability, TL hands down.
If you value resale value, get the TL.
If you value gas mileage stay away from the 300c.

The Saab isn't really in the same ballpark as the other two horsepower-wise.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Awesome to the Max

just baller style it and get all 3...
Old 11-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

the saab will not hold up over time. Those things deteriorate like a michael jackson nose job
Old 11-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To Hal;

Great analogy.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Rets brings up a good point. I usually try to avoid cars that you can rent...it says a lot about a car when it sits next to a Suzuki Areo....there are, of course, the exceptions in which some rental places carry luxury cars, but for the most part, I wouldn't want to own a car that I could rent.
Yeah they rent the 300 but none has the 300C totally different animal, hell you can go to Hertz or budget and get just about any type of car you want from a focus on up to a Jag XJ.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All good cars. The Saab is more of a drivers car and with discounts should be a good value It's probably not as reliable as Japanese cars, but is more reliable than any other european brand and US cars. Also, take a look at the 9-5 Aero. The design is a bit dated, but has gobs of torque (250 lb-ft) in the 1900-4500 rpm range. I also am not sure of the 300. It still looks like a gangsters car to me. The TL has the best mix of performance/comfort/style/reliability/features of the 3 you are considering. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Racer

Personally, I think the 300 is one of the ugliest cars on the road :P
Old 11-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the 300C with the right aftermarket rims is pimp.... but not the stockies
Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The 300C is 1/2 Mercedes Benz -- 5-spd "intelligent" auto and driveline is MB, the suspension is all MB .. the engine is as torquey as the old E55 engine (close .. 349hp/390lb-ft of torque vs. 340hp/390lb-ft of torque) ...

Not a bad way to go if you ask me...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Cruisin'

A totaled 9-3 (my fault) is what put me in my new TL and I will probably never but another Saab. They have such a cheap feel to them interior wise and rely so much on the turbo that the engine feels underpowered too.

I do like the 300C (not the base 300 for the trim as much or more than for the engine) but could not see paying sticker for an american car that does not have a history of holding its value. It seems like for any "hot" car you pay so much to be the first one to get one. Next year they will start discounting them and you will be in such a hole depreciation wise with a 1 year old car with 15,000 miles you paid full price for vs. a new car that had rebates and incentives.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:21 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
As most of us know, replacement parts can be a concern. One thing I look at is how many cars per year does each model sell. Saab is eliminated for me right there. The 300C has some very nice things going for it but I've not been happy with my personal experience with Chrysler. Chrysler is improving but I think they have pulled Mercedes overall quality down to date. I guess it depends on how long your are going to keep the vechicle and what's important to you. But then I look at depreciation.

I try to be unbiased however above are some of my personal criteria. For me, it will be a TL.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I think the 300C with the right aftermarket rims is pimp.... but not the stockies

yeah, so many people...at least that are a part of 300cforums.com have been putting 22'' wheels on their 300c

at first i thought that was ghetto, but now when i look at the car--it has to have them. i am not about some "thuggish" spiderweb looking rims , but a serious 5 spoke or 6 spoke 22'' look great with that car....but i might as well chalk that expense up as part of the car if i was to go with the 300c
Old 11-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Racer

I would never even consider the Saab. Build quality is very poor. Resale is almost non-existant. The few people I know who have owned Saabs have been very unhappy with them. It's a shame because I like the looks of some of the new Saabs. The upcoming Saab SUV looks nice, too.

The 300 looks like an awesome car but, again, Chrysler build quality and resale are poor. I love some of the new Chrysler/Plymouth designs. Very bold and aggressive. I just wish they were put together better.

Overall the TL is a much better deal. While some people complain about rattles and mostly minor issues, I'd be more concerned with major problems with either of the other two cars you mentioned. Maybe it's psychological, but I'd still worry. Plus, with the parts-bin engineering of most American cars, who wants to pay $30-35K for a car and have bits and pieces from a Neon or some other piece of crap in it?

Resale on the TL will beat the others by a wide margin, based on Honda/Acura history. For me that's important. I plan to keep my TL for some years, but the thought of it losing value so quickly would bother me. If I ever had to sell it, at least I wouldn't take a beating.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Car Addict

To me the Saab does not make the cut, the TL is better on every level, from performance to features. My brother in law just got a 9.3 and he likes my TL more. I let him drive it.

300C is for the pimpsta who also needs a lot of room. I would have gotten one if I had like three kids.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Acura TL
Old 11-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I looked at the same cars you did and more. I have been a previous Saab owner and their QC and reliability SUCK! I won't buy another one for a long time!!! Great car when it ran but it ate CV joints about every 50K miles. Last one broke while skiing in the moutains and the newest Saab dealer was about 200 miles away. Nothing like sitting on the side of the road freezing your a$$ off.

I took looked at the 300C and the Dodge Magnum RT (basically wagon version of the 300C) both with the Hemi. I was extremely tempted by the optional AWD. After driving them both (300C and Magnum) I'd been leaning toward the Magnum. The wagon in Cool Vanilla is really cool looking without being too gangsta. You have to drive either one of them to believe the instantaneous torque. Mother of god they and do it right now. I have a supercharged AMG Benz and these cars approach the performance of that car. A few tests I have seen say it is a high 13 second car and with the SRT-8 version around the corner it should really scream!

It also has the MDC which shuts down cylinders when they aren’t used for better economy. I drove one for a while and I have an aggressive driving style. I got mid-teens (13-15mpg) around town and 22-24 on the highway. Considering the size and the performance of this car that is pretty good. The stereo is amazing as well. The car is an amazing value for what you get. The 300C in Europe STARTS at 50,000 Euro which is about $65,000 US. It really is a unique car in the market.

Ultimately a things kept me from buying the Magnum. I need Nav a lot for my work and the Acura Nav is vastly superior to the Dodge/Chrysler Nav. Fuel mileage is important as well with as much driving as I do. I did like the interior better of the TL slightly more. The 300C seemed a little stark and the Magnum was more so with dark windows. The 300C platform could be a great one if you want to build it up and make it a supercar as its motor is very tweakable. I also liked the more nimble character of the TL. Ultimately I have a few super quick cars so I can drive them if I want brutal acceleration.

Hopefully this week I’ll be taking delivery of a new TL. It should be nice addition to the garage and a sweet daily driver. It is tough to beat the TL’s combination of style, performance, price, features and economy. I only wish it was AWD or RWD.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

300C and Fettucini Alfredo

When I first saw the 300C , I was convinced that it was a car like no other, one that would distinguish itself from the other 30-36 thousand vehicles available to me. I considered it, and I reconsidered it. The problem slowly arose in my cranium...is this a car that I would enjoy driving for five years?...is the design something that would appeal to me day after day after day...is this a car that a rather conservative professional can enjoy when he sports no bling-bling, does not resemble Al Capone, and never founf Mr. T to be "all that" in the first place?And what of the reliability and resale value issues?

Permit me to compare the 300C with a plate of fettucini alfredo. The first bite is fantastic, bursting with flavor and creaminess, but subsequent inputs become overwhelming, just too much for my palate. Overkill, that is what the 300C is to me.

I chose the beautiful sports-luxury 2005 TL as my new vehicle, and I am certain that I made the right decision. Each and every time I see the 300 C on the road I am reminded of my wise decision. I enjoy my understated sports luxury elegance, oh so classy...and no police cars about to make chase!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Racer

Which is faster, TL or 300C?

I always get guys in their 300 or 300C trying to get me to go. Should I give it a run?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 PM
I slap people

this is acura tl forums.. we like the TL and thats why we bought it and ended up here. i think we'll all tell you to go for the TL haha..

by the way, get the TL or begone!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:39 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by Minarets
2005 Acura TL
2005 Chrysler 300c
2005 Saab 9.3 Aero

did any of you guys consider these cars in your choice? i know it is hard going to any (of the 3 car's message boards) for unbiased opinions, but why not eh?

anyway, thanks guys

Originally Posted by TL MaN 05 WdP
Acura TL

YOU can choose now:

TL & 2005 Chrysler 300c

TL & 2005 Saab 9.3 Aero

Originally Posted by TL MaN 05 WdP
Acura TL

If you like my job, you now were to click.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Want luxury = TL
Want aggressive power = 300C
Want awesome handling = 9.3
Old 11-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Racer

If you want a H2 with a couple feet chopped off the top and bottom, feel free to get the 300C
Old 11-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Car Addict

I've got to think the TL is faster, I heard that 300c's are going mid to high 14's at the track. They are tanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I've got to think the TL is faster, I heard that 300c's are going mid to high 14's at the track. They are tanks.
Actually, the 300C will eat the TL alive. But I agree with a previous poster, as I find the 300C a little on the hideous side. I saw Car and Driver TV a little while ago when they had one. IIRC, I think it pulled a mid to high 13's.

I just checked their website. Check out the middle paragraph of page 2 of the article. It specifically says: "will muscle right past anything in it's price range, including the 270hp Acura TL."

And if you read the first sentence on page two, it also says the Chrysler 300C does NOT SHARE A SINGLE THING with the benz, except for the suspension.

Car and Driver article on 300C
Old 11-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by avs007
Actually, the 300C will eat the TL alive. But I agree with a previous poster, as I find the 300C a little on the hideous side. I saw Car and Driver TV a little while ago when they had one. IIRC, I think it pulled a mid to high 13's.

I just checked their website. Check out the middle paragraph of page 2 of the article. It specifically says: "will muscle right past anything in it's price range, including the 270hp Acura TL."

And if you read the first sentence on page two, it also says the Chrysler 300C does NOT SHARE A SINGLE THING with the benz, except for the suspension.

Car and Driver article on 300C

Thanks for the info on the 300C. I guess I'll let them go by when they come up on me. They're still ugly.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
On a side note of the 300C, anyone see it with the Bentley grill? It looked pretty cool and really changed the look of the nose of the car. With big rims the car looks pretty cool. Drive a 300C and you will "C" that it has a lot of thrust; definitely more than a TL. No matter how fast your car is there is one always faster...

No it is not as nimble as the TL but neither is the TL the most nimble in its class. One other reason I didn't buy one is that Chrysler's resale value still needs some help. However if they keep turning out cars like the 300C and the Crossfire it will help in the long term. Resale was one very signficant factor in my purchase of a TL.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM
mio
Police

9-3 got better looking (well just IMO) ~

but i heard 9-3 also got much more small problems~

Quick Reply: The 3 cars that i am trying to decide between