Sponsored by:

2008 TL-S AT "while you're in there" engine pull

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 TL-S AT "while you're in there" engine pull

2008 TL-S, 69k mi.

As I was describing in my earlier post I experienced a blown 5th cylinder spark plug. The dealer, who is covering all repairs, explained that it created some pretty serious damage. Initially I was told a full long block oem replacement, but now I'm told also a short block (thought long would be heads/top-half in addition to actual block), but anyways. I will be calling to get more specifics as the service manager isn't giving me quite the detail I'm looking for. A few extra items are being replaced and they're covering under warranty. TB tensioner, Water Pump. Since they're doing the tensioner, they said they would do the TB for just the cost of the belt, $72.

To the meat of the question. Are there any other suggestions members might have to be worked on as a preventative measure "while they're in there". The TB itself was a no brainer for $72. They mentioned my engine "cradle mounts" we're cracking (bushings?) so I OKd that repair for cost of parts which was $60 for both.

I see suggestions such as motor mounts giving out prematurely, so was considering requesting those as well? Sensors, etc, known early failure items?

Basically, the whole engine is pulled. Is there anything else I might have them take care of that would seem a due diligence effort? I'm currently only out of pocket for about $140 at this point. Not that I want to spend more money in this situation, but if a couple hundred now means not spending a couple grand few years from now, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
im surprised they are only charging you $60 for front and rear mounts. They should be around $100 each.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Interesting that they are charging you for the timing belt at all if they are doing a new shortblock too. They must be replacing the shortblock and a single cylinder head and not doing a new longblock. I know from other OEMs if you order a complete longblock, they are basically 'crate' engines if you will, and drop right in, with no assembly needed other than accessories and intake. I'd try and find out exactly what they are doing, as my preference would be a completely new engine instead of a repair if there is that much damage.

Lord knows someone will chime in and say a new shortblock and a new head is a new engine, but I simply trust factory assembly more than I do dealer tech assembly. There are definitely good technicians out there, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Also, if you aren't paying, and its under warranty, why not try for the best you can get?

Good luck with it however it goes and thank goodness it happened under warranty!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM
10th Gear

As stated above a short block is the bottom end no heads a long block is bottom end and both heads tech has to swap out sensors, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel and front damper
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

They're stating that the top end isn't delivered from their distribution in a full long block assembly, so that's why they're calling it a short block, but then all new top end. Heads, rods, pistons, rings etc. Awaiting confirmation on cams/valves as well. I'm told there will not be any internals re-used.

The explanation on the timing belt is that since the belt is not broken they have to transfer to the new engine. Either way $72 I can't complain to much. This dealer experience trumps all others I've ever experienced, with fingers still crossed though.

I appreciate all the feedback. If there are any other inputs regarding the specific ask of other consumable/wearable parts I might ask to be replaced while the engine is out, that would be very helpful. They're telling me they will have it done by Friday. I would be thoroughly impressed if that happens. But time is ticking on the "while you're in there" requests.

Thanks again all who have responded!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
It sounds reasonable - I couldn't find a part number for a complete longblock. So they are ordering head(s) and the shortblock. Not sure if it was just how you phrased it, but just for clarification for anyone reading in the future, the shortblock consists of the block, with the pistons, rods, crank. The heads and intake are considered the top end.

Did they tell you exactly what was damaged and to what degree, i.e. one head, both? multiple cylinders? etc.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Cruisin'

I plan on having a conversation with the hands-on tech. I'll be sure to update details on it as I find out. Hell, i may just upload a copy of the line-items that were replaced so that everyone can take a look at the "total" damage. I understand that not every piece of every item they replace is totaled, but we can at least see the "extent" of what this problem can lead to. From what I'm gathering from some who have experienced this issue, the damage has reached the worst-case scenario realm.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
Sounds like a good time to slap a ZDX manifold and TB on there, and maybe a UR Pulley.
Honestly, if it was high mileage I would just overhaul the motor.