3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 major redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the most part, Acura doesn't need a RWD car! AWD is fine. If it wasn't then there would be such a push by others to offer AWD on their cars. Yes climate is a factor but AWD does have it's performance purpose.

Does anyone remember with Audi dominated touring car races? The A4 won year after year against M-B and BMW BECAUSE of AWD! How do I know this? Because Audi was banned from using AWD cars to race with because M-B and BMW complained. This occured around '99 as I was looking at the then new second gen TL or an A4. Audi was peeved and the ruling as they should have been. Once BMW had a suitable system then they wanted to enter an AWD 3 and M-B followed suit with the C-Class. Now with that said SH-AWD is Acura's future. If Acura would program the system for some RWD bias then that would be good especially if Acura does bring another coupe to market.

I doubt if Acura will rush and bring an AWD TL to market as the current car is selling very well in its class. Could they add it, yes. Will it take away from the RL? Well that depends on how Acura markets the TL. If it is marketed as a pure performance model, then that will drive some away to the RL for a "softer" ride.

My question is will the current TL be the model that is going to get IMA?? Such a model will not hurt RL sales for the same reason. Marketing ment to show such a car as a performance alternative to the regular TL.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
existing technologies that could make the car better...

- Hybrid TL (more low end torque, better mileage)
- with Sirius + XM receivers built-in
- On-Star
- rear view camera built-in
- adjustable suspension height.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 AM
2005 TL Owner

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
existing technologies that could make the car better...

- Hybrid TL (more low end torque, better mileage)
- with Sirius + XM receivers built-in
- On-Star
- rear view camera built-in
- adjustable suspension height.
Yes!
The Adj Susp like in MB would be a great feature. It would allow softer ride for long distance/ bumpy roads, and tighter A-Spec style handling for more sporty driving on-demand.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
recession...

What if the US economy enters a recession? Will Honda/Acura want to add additional cost to a car already in the low 30K range?

This is funny.... We are still in a recession!!! Depending on the business you are in, you might still feel it... Cra sales and home refinance was what drove thje economy for a few years. Recessions usually last about 4 years... The last one was 90-91 and we did not reall get out of it till about 95. It was not really good till about 97.

We are getting F'd by the energy policies in this country and with government the way they are. You will not see 1.50 a gall prices any more. I believe the 2.20 price for premium will never dip below 2 bucks since the foreign governments can get rich off us and we do are not changing our thrist for energy at this price. All we showed them was that we do not mind shelling out 25% more for energy than a year or two before. I predict a 2.50 price for a gallon of gas by summer.

The dam economist also say that energy is still relatively cheap since in 1980 dollars we spent the equiv of 4 bucks a gallon. That was thje last time we were f'd on energy. hell 6 years back it was 1.30 for premium not bad 10% a year on avg increase.

I think people will still but the car. Yet, since acura sells more of these than any other model, they will try to wring out the most profit in this model which means watching the price for material that go into it... You will not see major improvements if that means that they lose customers by adding 1000 to the price..
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mickey3c
What if the US economy enters a recession? Will Honda/Acura want to add additional cost to a car already in the low 30K range?

This is funny.... We are still in a recession!!! Depending on the business you are in, you might still feel it... Cra sales and home refinance was what drove thje economy for a few years. Recessions usually last about 4 years... The last one was 90-91 and we did not reall get out of it till about 95. It was not really good till about 97.

We are getting F'd by the energy policies in this country and with government the way they are. You will not see 1.50 a gall prices any more. I believe the 2.20 price for premium will never dip below 2 bucks since the foreign governments can get rich off us and we do are not changing our thrist for energy at this price. All we showed them was that we do not mind shelling out 25% more for energy than a year or two before. I predict a 2.50 price for a gallon of gas by summer.

The dam economist also say that energy is still relatively cheap since in 1980 dollars we spent the equiv of 4 bucks a gallon. That was thje last time we were f'd on energy. hell 6 years back it was 1.30 for premium not bad 10% a year on avg increase.

I think people will still but the car. Yet, since acura sells more of these than any other model, they will try to wring out the most profit in this model which means watching the price for material that go into it... You will not see major improvements if that means that they lose customers by adding 1000 to the price..

True and with the threat of gas hitting $80 a barrel and OPEC debating whether or not to switch to the Euro (they'll make more money that way since the dollar is so weak) then the HP wars being raged (read: Nissan/Infiniti) may come to a halt since gas mileage is poor (read: Nissan/Infiniti). Acura's smart move may be to go hybrid in their bread and butter car. The technology is there they just have to use it. Further more the Accord Hybrid while billed as a performance model gets the gas mileage of a Civic. So, the TL's mileage could increase while giving customers the extra umph they need for when ever.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 AM
2005 TL Owner

And, whether we like it or not, the rest of the developed world does not feel sorry for us as they have been paying the equivalent of $4-$6/gal for years already. Our $2.50 is nothing, so it should not had a significant effect of car buying for a while yet.

Also, during the current recession, SUV sales launched and are still going strong. I think our economy has a lot of buffer room when it comes to fuel prices as they translate directly to inflation which is pretty low in other economic sectors.

Hybrid/AWD avail in TL will depend more on PR power and salability, both in general and in relation to other Models like the RL. Acura will not want to suck the wind out of the RL sales too soon with a TL AWD offering. Toyota seems to be the media favorite for some reason on Hybrid cars, even thogh Honda pioneered the technology in production vehicles. Prius is going for 5K+ markup and 6mo backorder while the Civic Hybrid sales are lackluster and the Accord Hybrid is doing OK but is "Performance" oriented quite expensive compared to the mainstream Accord. Honda/Acura will need to beef up marketing in the Hybrid area.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well that is the opinion that 2.50 is nothing. We are making the oil companies rich with this thinking. give a 5% increase per year for the past 10 years, we should not see reg gas costing more than 1.65. We are just making the saudis rich and the rest of us poor... I do not see cars that get 25 mpg as changing much. Sure there will be more hybrids, but I hear 9 month waiting period and they always cost a bit more. Where is the trade off? If you buy a civic for 17k or a hybrid model for 21k. The break even (fuel cost wise) is probably in the 5th year depend on how much you drive..

Lets say the regular car gets an avg of 35 mpg and you drive 350 miles per week. 10 gallons. The hybrid gets 45 and you use about 7.77. That is a savings of about $5.60 per week (@2.50 a gallon). OK do the math... You will save 291 annually in fuel which from that perspective will take you 13.7 years to break even. That is unless the government gives you an annual tax break. Even if they did give you a tax break of 1000 cash .. you are still talking over 9 years...

The same thing goes for bigger cars. If you were to pay 37,000 for a hybrid tl and 33,000 for a regular model and different was 10 miles per gallon, then do the math..

350 /25 = 14 gallons 350/35 = 10 gallons. so 10 bucks a week savings (2.50 a gallon) or 500 per year. Takes 8 years to recoup the 4000 bucks that you shelled out..

If gas is less than 2.50 a gallon then it takes longer to recoup the cost. The only impact a hybrid has is the idea that it is cleaner and will not make oil companies as rich as fast... but you are making the car companies who are in with the oil companies richer. BTW the math is simple math and does not get into the cost of borrowing an extra 4k for 4 years that moves the break even part out even further by another year or two.

And what about replacing the battery pack? Add another 2 years for that it if cost 1000 bucks for the pack with diposal fees, etc.

We need government to stabilize energy costs or we will deeply back into recession territory. Oil might be cheap at 30-40 a barrel, but that was the target price. It is deliberately being kept over 50 bucks to rape people...

The government needs to get the iraq crap taken care of and fast...
Old 03-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

5th year

the previous post I said 5th year break even... that is what I hear all the time.. that is why I put than in...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Premium gas in Patuxent River, MD is at $1.97. Not bad.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Pro

Acura already said that they will do a hybrid and that the focus will be less on saving gas it it will be on performance. The question at the moment is which model will see it. From all indication, the RSX isn't it. The RL could be the car but using the TL as a launching board for the rest of the Acura line would make since. Keep the regular TL and offer a "Beyond Type R" model. Next could be the TSX in turbo form (assuming the rumor is true about the 2.2l T). Keep the regular TSX and offer a performance alternative. Then offer something for the RL would be owner who thinks 300hp is too little for a car with extra weight.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Lets say the regular car gets an avg of 35 mpg and you drive 350 miles per week. 10 gallons. The hybrid gets 45 and you use about 7.77. That is a savings of about $5.60 per week (@2.50 a gallon). OK do the math... You will save 291 annually in fuel which from that perspective will take you 13.7 years to break even. That is unless the government gives you an annual tax break. Even if they did give you a tax break of 1000 cash .. you are still talking over 9 years...
It gets worse In Oregon you'll get no tax break. Here in oregon, the government feels that people with hybrids don't pay their fair share of gas tax to maintain the roads. So registration/renewal for hybrid cars, is double that of a regular car. Granted registration is pretty cheap in OR compared to CA, but a surcharge is still a surcharge.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:17 PM
It's never enough!

You don't buy a hybrid to save money. You buy it for one of three reasons:

1 - You are environmentally conscious and want to do your part
2 - You want the US to stop having to depend on foreign oil, specifically the oil from countries whose citizens want us dead
3 - A combination of 1 and 2

A hybrid will help you on all counts, and should cost you about the same to drive over your life together.

On the performance side, high HP cars with good mileage are going to be a reality. Just look how Honda has come from the first days of the Insight. They now have a hybrid Accord that is more powerful and more fuel efficient than the standard one. Once consumers drive enough demand for that kind of vehicle, it will be built. Some said we would never see hybrid SUVs, yet many are on the way next year. Granted they are the smaller ones, but soon the larger ones will fall in line.

While SUV sales are strong despite the fuel cost rising, dealers are giving them away with huge discounts. In some cases you can get $10K off the price just for walking in the door. SUVs are the highest margin vehicles on the dealer lost with the possible exception of the pickup trucks. Eventually, the manufacturers will tire of the lower margins they are being forced to take due to the discounts. At that point, you will see more technology in trucks and SUVs to get the MPG up.

Overall, the higher gas prices are a good thing in the long run. As long as they go up gradually, we can handle the pain. In time, it will drive demand for more fuel efficient yet powerful cars. My prediction - In under 10 years, we will have TLs that have 350+ HP, get 30 MPG in the city, and better than 40 MPG on the highway.

As for me, I will pay the higher prices. However, I am anxiously awaiting the Odyssey hybrid that I know will be out in a few years. I also hope that the next TL has a hybrid option as well - one that doesn't compromise its power and fun factor.

If we as a country can cut our gasoline usage by 15% or more, we don’t have to worry about gas from those countries who hate us so much. How cool is that?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Well that is the opinion that 2.50 is nothing.
Gas always looks expensive to me, since I grew up in Venezuela where premium gas is about 15 cents a gallon. It's the advantage of being a producer.

The US has a lot of Oil, but keeps it in reserves in case of a shortage or a War.
Meanwhile, everybody has to pay to import it.

If it was for me, I rather have Ethanol cars and polute less...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Gas always looks expensive to me...
Urr, you're in Texas, one of the states with the lower price on gas... tons of places/countries are having sky high price.

Well, let's hope the next gen TL would come out with more efficient engine or combination power system.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Gas Prices around the world...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...s+prices&hl=en

A gallon of unleaded around the worldCountryPrice per gallonCountry Price per gallonAustralia (Sydney)$2.68 (C)Japan (Tokyo)$4.25 (C)Belgium$4.87(A)Kuwait (Kuwait City)$0.65 (B)Bolivia (La Paz)$1.60 (B)Mexico (Mexico City)$2.12 (B)Brazil (Sao Paulo)$2.78 (B)Netherlands $5.83 (A)Egypt (Cairo)$0.55 (B)Norway (Stavanger)$4.78 (C)France$4.52 (A)South Africa (Capetown)$2.31 (B)Germany$5.28 (A)UAE (Dubai)$1.10 (B)India (New Delhi)$2.70 (C)United Kingdom$5.40 (A)Italy$5.06 (A)Venezuela (Caracas)$0.14 (B)Notes: (A) Surveyed in May by Energy Information Administration.
(B) City surveyed by AIR-INC in February 2004
(C) City surveyed by AIR-INC in November 2003
Old 04-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

SH-AWD + IMA + powerful new motor + 6AT + Real-Time Traffic Navi + Start Button + Keyless remote + GPS alarm.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Gas always looks expensive to me, since I grew up in Venezuela where premium gas is about 15 cents a gallon. It's the advantage of being a producer.
The UK produces/exports more oil than it consumes/imports, but they still have high oil prices because they still sell their oil on the world market, so their prices in the home market are roughly equivalent to ours. (excluding taxes)

I could be wrong. This was explained to me by a coworker visiting from the UK.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Racer

The US has a lot of Oil, but keeps it in reserves in case of a shortage or a War.
Meanwhile, everybody has to pay to import it.

If it was for me, I rather have Ethanol cars and polute less...
Ethanol currently runs about 50 cents a gallon more than gas. And the ethanol cars are more expensive. Nothing there to make me want to convert....
Old 02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

The main advantage of using other energy sources other than petro-oil is to cut out dependency on foreign oil, providing greater freedom from middle east and other south-american and OPEC countries.

if mass produced Ethanol can be a very cost effective alternative.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Advanced

has anyone ever thought that the hybrid owners actually help to lower our gas costs...They require less, less demand, lower prices...thanks hybrid owners...I'll continue to drive my TL and SUV :-)
Old 02-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Racer

That would be great except we don't get our oil from the middle east. I think it's going to be a long time before we see alternative fuels that are practical and cost efficient. It doesn't do any good to use ethanol and pay more, it is the cost of the fuel that is the problem.

I don't see the price of gas going down because of the hybrids. I don't think they have any effect on price whatsoever.

I'm all for any alternative that can give me the same or better performance than gas, but costs less. I don't think that will be reality for quite a while.....Hope I'm wrong but........
Old 02-20-2006, 12:15 AM
CSI
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05ACURATL
i think if they do all wheel drive SH to TL it would destroy the selling of the RL.
If they are not selling RL well, why not?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 AM

rumors, rumors, rumors.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by invincible569
rumors, rumors, rumors.

I am seriously laughing my ass off over here.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wakattack
AWD is so old hat. And usually only a small percentage of of any particular car model that sells in the AWD format. Given that some cars only come in AWD.. But you don't see many G35's with AWD, or BMW's. I don't think it is that much a threat. Performance wise (often slower), and maintenance wise ($$$), AWD isn't the Golden Halo that some make it out to be. It absolutely has it's pluses. But looking at Acura over the long haul, they seem to like to be liking to lead with implenting technology rather than following, especially with technology oriented things. They also don't seem to be historically for specialty models. So despite the fact that their is an AWD Accord in the works. I would not be surprised at all if the TL doesn't show up in AWD.

If it was around today, I would have chosen to save the $2k to $4k more it would have costed for that model. Of course it would be welcome in the colder belts especially Canada. However, I'd bet it would be more likely that it actually shows up as a RWD model than a AWD.

Also with today's higher fuel prices, I think we are coming to an end of an era of horsepower wars, and we will see the emphasis return to fuel economy, even with cars such as the Acura. So I imagine the 08 will have some cool wiz bang features. Perhaps even a hybrid thrown in. Just hopefully they will do away for once and all with the arcahic tape drive. I look at that tape drive and think, some day this will be a novelty item, a car with both navigation and a tape deck!!

If the Acura TL continues to be a major seller in 07, I wouldn't even be surprised if they squeeze an extra model year out of the 3rd Gen.

Well that's my

well said...AWD is over rated...
Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Please continue the discussion of the 2008 TL in the 2007 + TL megathread, since this one is really too old to merge into that thread. Thank you!