Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Autocross Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 Autocross Report

I am currently the Co-Chair of the Indy Region SCCA Autocross Program. Post em up guys...how ya doing this year?

Currently I am running in 2nd Place in Street Mod Class running on Kumho V-710 autocross slicks. By next race...I should be in first position due to the fact that the currrent first place finisher was cheating/misclassed and should have been running in CP (C Prepared) class all year so the one event at Grisson AFB where I finished 2nd place to him, being beat by .3 seconds I should have actually won due to him cheating...but I didnt contest his entry till before last week's event. Either way...I will pass him now in points by next event so it wont matter to me personally.

Here is the results page after last event...

http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/So...008_points.htm

Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
man your TL is sweet looking and the mods..wow....
Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ok...took over first place in the standings for the points series at the last Grissom AFB autocross. Woot! Only two events left...hoping to finish out the season for a win for the 3G TL folks!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
That's awesome man! Congrats. Lets get more videos up I enjoyed watching your last AutoX one.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
That's awesome man! Congrats. Lets get more videos up I enjoyed watching your last AutoX one.
Yes...I wish I had more video of this year and runs...but with actually running the events this year with my co-chair it gets kind of hard to do everything you want to in that day and keep the event on track. I am currently running in first place in Street Mod and it takes some concentration-work before and during an event to stay there - combine that with having responsibilities of running the event; and remembering to put the video equipment in the car seems way low on the totum pole and gets forgotten. Sorry.

We have two events left this season. One is an Aussie Pursuit format (lame IMO) and then the season ender back at Grissom AFB which is a normal autocross format. I will definately try to remember to get vids of the Grissom event at the season closer as its the best venue for our cars in our regions line-up. Good open course you can get some good speed on!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Congratulations and keep representing. I would love to see the video if you have the opportunity to record some
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
That's awesome! I was looking at the bodyroll but it's not bad considering you're on slicks and with a passenger. Very impressive for A-spec and a rear bar.

I hope you don't mind, but curiosity of your setup is killing me.

Are you running some sort of trans cooler?

Did you upgrade your radiator as a precaution or out of necessity?

And last, what kind of suspension mods are you allowed in your class? I'm assuming the usual springs, shocks, swaybars, all with stock mounting points, or can you alter geometry?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's awesome! I was looking at the bodyroll but it's not bad considering you're on slicks and with a passenger. Very impressive for A-spec and a rear bar.

I hope you don't mind, but curiosity of your setup is killing me.

Are you running some sort of trans cooler?

Did you upgrade your radiator as a precaution or out of necessity?

And last, what kind of suspension mods are you allowed in your class? I'm assuming the usual springs, shocks, swaybars, all with stock mounting points, or can you alter geometry?
No...not running any trans cooler at all at this point. Not really necessary for autocross. Track events might be something different...but in autocross the courses are generally around 60 second courses so trans temps arent really an issue. I upgraded the radiator sheerly out of precaution...nothing more. As far as suspension mods...in street mod you can do about anything you want to in that regard so long as you use the stock mount points. Go overly jacking with it and you end up in a prepared class.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Here is some shots from last weekend. It was an Aussie Pursuit format this week. I basically works like this....peanut shaped course....two cars on course on opposite sides of the track chasing each other around the course for two laps...first one to their respective finish line first wins the heat. This is some shots of my first run. We were in the first run group of the day...temps were mid 50's and climbing to 60's at that point, but was still cold. I got staged at the starting line...looked over to the lineman to find out exactly who I was supposed to be looking at for the start and he said....HER....(newbie girl standing in the middle that had no start experience)....I look over and she is already lowered the flag half way down meaning the race is starting. I slam the pedal to the floor in late reaction and white smoke the front tires. What this means is now I have front tires that are heated to temp immediately and back tires that are cold as a stone still....which equals....you guessed it...NO traction whatsoever in the rear. I head into the first major sweeping turn....front tires stick like glue...back end comes right around on me and I do a complete 180 on course coming out of the turn and drifted the car completely around. I got a second chance as it is a double elimination event...so I got to race the same guy later in the day and beat him. Unfortunately that was HIS first loss of the day and he continued to be the overall winner of the day. He is not in my class....so this did nothing to my class standings overall for the season. Woot! Still first in Street Mod class. At any rate...here is some pics and pics of the car I was racing at the time.

These pics are a bit out of synch...but this is right before it happened as I was starting to slide out of control here below...

This is the D Mod car (DM177) that I was racing at the time...I was a tidbit outclassed here...but still came back to beat him later in the day in one heat! Not bad for a whale against a shark! He is running a Honda engine in this ultra light.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:46 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

BTW...here is one of the fellows I have been battling it out with all year long. I CANNOT beat this guy on course to save my life unless I am out at the Grissom venue where we are a bit wider and more open so I can stretch my legs a bit and get into the supercharger more. Friggin Mini's. You just cant beat em in a small circle like last weekend though! He kicked my ass sunday...lol. We met in one heat and he got me by probably a half car length anyway.

And while the Aussie Pursuit is not my favorite format to race under whatsoever....like somebody said..where else are you gonna get something like this?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:50 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

BTW....still leading street mod class for the season by quite a bit in points and not sure I can be caught at this time. So...end result...I should bring home a win for the season in Street Mod representing the TL crowd! Hopefully that will give our model cars some more credibility and give me additional sponsorship possibilities next season! I never figured this as a possibility at the beginning of the season. I figured I would finish in the top 5 or 6 but not as #1. Persistence pays!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is awesome.
We need more events here in the va/md area
Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by pohljm
Congratulations and keep representing. I would love to see the video if you have the opportunity to record some
Ask and ye shall receive.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Who says you cant spin a 3rd Gen TL? End of season here guys....its getting colder out. In this vid...this is the first run of the day and I am on cold tires....made it through the first section ok...but then superheated the front tires (Kumho V-710 slicks) before I had a chance to get the backs up to temp...which ALWAYS results in a spin in cold weather! Sure got all four of those slicks heated up and ready for the next run! Oddly enough...I managed to avoid all cones on the spin...so I was able to continue to the end without penalty...other than the time lost in the spin. Still clocked a 65 second run after spinning and stopping briefly....and my buddy that was on course behind me thought he was rockin extra hard because I was at the finish line still when he came around the corner....lol. He got me that run due to the spin...but never could catch my times the rest of the day after that. Sorry about the radio on in the car....I was testing some old broadcasting equipment that we have in the SCCA bus and it got out of range a few times...where you hear music cut in and out.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

that's cool, nice vid! I got kinda dizzy after watching it though...lol! Love that S/C whine!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

BTW....Its official now....we now have an official Indy Region SCCA Street Mod Class First Place Title in the ranks for a supercharged 3rd Gen Acura TL. I should be picking that bad boy up at the awards banquet soon. The last points race has occurred and I am still in the lead of the class by 17 points total...which means after the "drops" (they drop the lowest two scores I think) - I am STILL in the lead by 11 points after that math is done. Tally sheet shows me at the top with a trophy....so it must be official now! Woot! Acura for the win!

http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/So...Points.html#SM

BTW...the one box showing no score for me in the grid was a race down in Walesboro that typically most people say eats tires badly. As I run on fairly expensive tires...I choose to use that event as my "drop" event each year in the series.

Last edited by MichaelBenz; 10-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Here is the ONLY outside video of my car running on course that has been taken that I am aware of. And its only a short snippet with some wind noise and other cars sounding off. Funny...they call my car the leaf blower...lol.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats awesome!! way to rep the TLs, I think you should also try taking the TL on some tracks, with our heavy cars they shine on a road course where the track isnt so tight
Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

That's pretty fast looKing from the outside!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Here is another video from the same event...I think its the video from the inside from above where you see it from the outside briefly.

I think I have one more video from this year...will try to get it posted later when I get time.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Its officially official now....I am the first place finisher in Street Mod Class in the 2008 Indy Region SCCA Solo Series.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GooD Job. Joo rule at driving
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Congrats!!