Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Season 3G TL Autocross Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2007 Season 3G TL Autocross Thread

Figured I would start a thread for us 3G TL guys to post up autocross vids for the 2007 season since it is just getting started. I will get us started with the first run of the season....

My best time = 43
EVO's and Subies avg'd about = 40-42

Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the vid. GL this season.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Hooligan317
Thanks for posting the vid. GL this season.
Hey...there is an SCCA autocross on 16th Street (Bush Stadium) this coming weekend. You should come out and check it out! We will be out there running Sunday.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Figured I would start a thread for us 3G TL guys to post up autocross vids for the 2007 season since it is just getting started. I will get us started with the first run of the season....

My best time = 43
EVO's and Subies avg'd about = 40-42

wow! cool!

It is impressive actually racing like that. I bet you are highly skilled!
I watched the video inside your TL and it sounds like a fully tuned BMW or some supertouring race car!! I don't like that type of track with lousy cones though. I want some really cool race course with lots of curves. But in any case, I am impressed with your work.

Hey, what's your 0-60 in the acceleration? and quarter mile? If you remember me we talked in the PM a while back... and hey! you should play some trance music instead of that.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks like so much fun...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

hey Michael did you upgrade your suspension too? It seems tight!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Hey...there is an SCCA autocross on 16th Street (Bush Stadium) this coming weekend. You should come out and check it out! We will be out there running Sunday.
What time is it? I might be able to come by, I don't think I have anything pressing for Saturday morning/afternoon.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by meowCat
wow! cool!

It is impressive actually racing like that. I bet you are highly skilled!
I watched the video inside your TL and it sounds like a fully tuned BMW or some supertouring race car!! I don't like that type of track with lousy cones though. I want some really cool race course with lots of curves. But in any case, I am impressed with your work.

Hey, what's your 0-60 in the acceleration? and quarter mile? If you remember me we talked in the PM a while back... and hey! you should play some trance music instead of that.
Yes....what you are referring to is road course type racing...something I hope to get into a bit this year at Putnam Park. This is autocross....basically parking lot racing in a sea of cones. It can get trying at times but is fun to keep track of and isnt that hard for most to pick up pretty fast.

I just put the supercharger on it this season...so I should be able to tell you more about 1/4 mile times after I learn to properly launch and hook it up. First time out was wheelspin city for a # of reasons....cold weather....street tires overheated at the starting line, ect. so I wasnt running anything faster than 14.4's @ like 99 mph or so, but I was basically spinning to the top of second gear (and I am automatic). That is going to take me a little more time to master with the supercharger...but I had already figured out that application into autocross....that was way easier for me.

Oh...and the trance music....I am too old for that! Trance always reminds me of my stay at the "W" hotel in Chicago...lol.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

hey Michael did you upgrade your suspension too? It seems tight!
I am running the OEM A-Spec upgrade suspension on it...nothing overly fancy. That and the CT sway bar on the rear and that is all. I would like to get the Tein suspension setup...but have been putting it off until I wear this one out, which hasnt happened yet!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

What time is it? I might be able to come by, I don't think I have anything pressing for Saturday morning/afternoon.
Here is the event info on it...

http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/So...2207Event1.pdf

Show up at about 9a if you want to race ($30 or $20 if you are an SCCA member....but membership not necessary to race) or the event is supposed to start at around 10:30 - but it seems as if they frequently start late by 1/2 hour or so. If you are interested in giving it a go (its not that hard on your car really....the runs only last like 40 seconds or so and you can drive em slower if you want just to get the hang of it) I will meet you there at 9 and show you what you need to do (tech car,register, walk course...all VERY easy and nothing you have to worry about) - that or just show up if you feel like it after 10:30 and we should be out there running. BUT....myself....I will only run in the Street Mod (SM) class due to the fact I am supercharged...and you never know what shift you are running in. They generally take everybody and break em into three run groups....so I could be running anywhere from 10:30 to around 3 or so...just depends what run group I get put into in the rotation. If you are interested in racing...let me know and I will help you out....if not and just want to check it out...thats cool too...I will give you a ride with if you want....but get there early enough so I know you are coming. I have some friends that like to bogart those spots down and I generally save at least one run if not two for somebody that is coming down there to meet me just for that reason.

Dont feel like I am pressuring you to race though...I dont care at all. Its cool either way to me...we are all just out there to have a good time. Just giving you options...plus....it would be nice to have a "like car" to compete against or at least compare. I hate always having to compare to the EVO's and Scoobies. Actually...this weekend...a few friends are out racing an old 91 cadillac brougham they bought from me a while back ago....they are co-driving...meaning the car will run twice or two rotations....one with each driver. Now THAT is gonna be a gas to watch....Gary and Hocky out there riding in this boat caddy POS....they are doomed to take out half the cones in ANY slalom...lol. Gary has an EVO that is at AMS in Chicago right now getting like $50,000 worth of work done to it and its not done yet...so he decided to take the hoopty out for a hell ride...lol.

You will see a lot of cool cars out there though. Some Lotus Elise's....last time one of the special edition supercharged ones were out there too. They rule on the autocross! At any rate....(overly excited about it...can you tell...lol) let me know and I will keep an eye out for you!

BUT...if you just want to come and check it out...look for me out there (I will be the only TL...so I wont be hard to find and the pits are open to public and small in size....I am likely to see you before you see me actually given not many people race these cars and I see em all from a mile away usually. BUT....if you show up after the first run group....I may be harder to find. If so...just hit the trailer and have them page me.....they know who I am and I am friends with a few of the guys in the registration trailer. A matter of fact....I am likely to have to work a shift in that trailer as announcer during the day sometime....if I can swing it.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh..and actually....its on Sunday!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

I am running the OEM A-Spec upgrade suspension on it...nothing overly fancy. That and the CT sway bar on the rear and that is all. I would like to get the Tein suspension setup...but have been putting it off until I wear this one out, which hasnt happened yet!
Seems really tight! I'm impressed of the A-Spec upgrade suspension.. Sweet sweet...
Old 04-17-2007, 04:27 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That looks like fun although I had no idea where you were supposed to go I know if I had done that I would have made many mistakes. Those cones look like they weren't placed in any particular order.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Eoanou
That looks like fun although I had no idea where you were supposed to go I know if I had done that I would have made many mistakes. Those cones look like they weren't placed in any particular order.
Actually...its hard to see with the peripherial view of the camera I have. But...there is a method to the madness. Really its fairly easy....

Cone = ^
Sideways cone = > or <

If there is a set of cones like this ^ ^ it is a gate you travel through

If there is cones like this <^ (basically a cone with another one knocked down a particular way) it is a directional. Means you go, in this case, to the left of the cone. Slaloms are fairly obvious as it is just a series of cones in a row...and there is either a directional at the beginning of the series telling you which side to take first (left or right) or it is a drivers choice and you go either way. That is the very very basics of it...but its really not hard to learn at all...plus...the basic line of the track is often outlined in chaulk (flour actually) so you know where to go. It was too windy out that day to line the course with chaulk though....and it was in fact...a fairly simple course.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Dude....I was JUST behind you by about 5 cars right at 3:00 at 82nd and Bash Road. I was on Bash and was pulling out to the west on 82nd and you were in front of me. Traffic was THICK but I tried to pull a few hail mary maneuvers to catch up with you but I think you turned off at the carwash or something near there and I didnt see you cause I went all the way to Allisonville - to where I should have caught you given the speeds I was running and cars I was passing and never did see you again. You HAD to turn off and I didnt see you. That or you were flying like a bat out of hell and I couldnt catch you...lol!
Old 04-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

lol!! it would be really cool if I run into you, MichaelBenz. I work so close by you.. ha ha.

LOL are you telling me you saw Hooligan317 with his TL-S shown in his avatar???!!?? I have never seen a such in the street yet... I wonder what kind of mod he has done to his engine and the rest... yikes.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Omg.... I just checked out Putnam Park race track you referred, MichaelBenz. Have you driven there before? I wanna drive I wanna practice with my TL 6MT! Could we go together and practice? How much is it? My azz is itching so bad I wanna do some good cornering. weeeee weeeeeee!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Omg.... I just checked out Putnam Park race track you referred, MichaelBenz. Have you driven there before? I wanna drive I wanna practice with my TL 6MT! Could we go together and practice? How much is it? My azz is itching so bad I wanna do some good cornering. weeeee weeeeeee!
Are you local? Or close to area?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

Yea! I'm in Indianapolis, Marion county.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

If the practicing is allowed in that track I would be happy to go there and do it.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ah....I see. I must run across you from time to time then I am sure! (if we havent already...I know there are a few other locals I have run into as well)

Now for Putnam...no...I have not run it before. This would be my first time. I plan on going out there this year for a day with one of the other groups (lotus group or somebody like that) that has a scheduled day out there. Its like $7000 for them to rent it for the day...so they are usually looking for outside nonmembers of their club to fill the voids. Usually there is about 50 spots or so they have to fill. Cost (depending on the package they got) is usually around $200 for a day, which includes full instruction with a professional driver instructor if desired, ect.

Now....we are (as I said above) autocrossing this sunday at Bush Stadium on 16th Street just west of Martin Luther King Blvd downtown. You are welcome to give it a shot or just come out and check it out visually. I can give you a ride with I am sure.(I only get three shots at the course...and this one is for points...so I am likely to run at least ONE of em with my regular "navigator"....probably the last run most likely....but that does leave two runs? -much to the dismay of my regular navigator I am sure...thats the only reason he comes out there...lol). Its really not that hard....and LOTS of newbies are gonna be there...so that takes some of the "heat" of of the situation if you catch my drift. There was about half the field last time that was brand new. Cost is $30 for non SCCA member or $20 SCCA member. Basically all you need is your car...your helmet (free loaners available before your run if needed...lots of people use em...so no big deal)....and your drivers license and $30 and your in for the day! YOu will get the exact same three runs that I do! (different group most likely unless you are supercharged) Therefore...I would likely be able to ride with you to help you out if necessary. Fact is...I might have Chuck McMillion do that as he is about the best ride with guy I have been with instruction wise...that or Will....another friend....both MORE than willing to help out a newbie. Fact is...I had em run with me on EVERY run I made till I felt confortable. I still run with em every now and then just so they can check up on me.

The Putnam deal though...that is gonna be later this summer I believe. I can let you know for sure on that too! I am looking forward to giving the road couse a go this year! I hear all the turns at Putnam are friendly accept there is one hairy one....but according to friends...very do-able and LOTS of fun!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yep....if you mess up at Putnam....you mess your car up into dirt...or hit a wall....no messin' around at that place! Its serious biz! But....most of it is just what you are seeing from what I understand and pretty friendly!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:36 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

BTW...if you just wanna come and watch/catch ride withs...its free. (autocross) Not sure about Putnam...but you already said you wanna drive there!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Mike - Sorry I missed you this afternoon, didn't know you were behind.

As for the Auto-X... Sunday isn't quite as easy as Sat as I'll be doing the churh thing. I'll have to wait and see.

I've put a lot of miles and hours in at Putnam Park and trust me, you won't regret any time you spend out there.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Mike - Sorry I missed you this afternoon, didn't know you were behind.

As for the Auto-X... Sunday isn't quite as easy as Sat as I'll be doing the churh thing. I'll have to wait and see.

I've put a lot of miles and hours in at Putnam Park and trust me, you won't regret any time you spend out there.
I knew that had to be you!

Yes...I am stoked about running out there this year. Should be an absolute blast!!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

LOL that's sweet!

I'm not sure if I can do good in AutoCross. There are so many cones I'm afraid I'm gonna run straight at some point and go right through the cones and next thing you know it, I'm outside of the track lol. It is still, sounds exciting! I might think about it and will give you a buzz to go and watch. (i'll just watch ) It's good to meet people like ya and get together.

Ohhhh yesssssssss I am so excited about the Putnam. Please count me in! I'll wait for the summer and join ya! $200 for a day.... that's not bad at all!! Do they fill me up with gas for free or do I provide that too. I bet one tank of gas won't cut it since we'll be running all day lol. Hey ya, do they have cameras to record the event? Oh that would be soooo nice. If not, i'll bring my Fujifilm camera lol.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

LOL that's sweet!

I'm not sure if I can do good in AutoCross. There are so many cones I'm afraid I'm gonna run straight at some point and go right through the cones and next thing you know it, I'm outside of the track lol. It is still, sounds exciting! I might think about it and will give you a buzz to go and watch. (i'll just watch ) It's good to meet people like ya and get together.

Ohhhh yesssssssss I am so excited about the Putnam. Please count me in! I'll wait for the summer and join ya! $200 for a day.... that's not bad at all!! Do they fill me up with gas for free or do I provide that too. I bet one tank of gas won't cut it since we'll be running all day lol.
We will find out more when it comes time!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Also...I note...I am NOT the Michael Benz in the Indy phone directory. That is some impostor that moved to the area and manages Lifetime Fitness. When they came to the area...they mailed out like a million mailers promoting their new Castleton facility at the time with his (and unfortunately my) name all over it as the manager, and all my neighbors thought I had went all "gym/health club" on em...lol. I had to actually go into the place to meet the guy....and yep...thats his actual name too. (thought it might be one of those Betty Crocker things where there really WAS nobody there with that name and I was gonna tell em to STOP or pay me something...lol)

Therefore...I will have to PM you my phone number.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

Like you guys said, looks like an awesome track.

I am surprised Indiana had this kind of track..... well... after all we are in Indianapolis. I guess it makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Here is the post from the other forum on the Putnam run this year. We already missed the early bird discount though...but $225 isnt bad either. We should all three go...would be cool to have three TL's out there running together!!

PUTNAM PARK SPECIAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark your calendars!
June 18th 2007 the day following the USGP in Indianapolis our local Lotus club will be hosting a track day at Putnam Park.

This will be the second annual event and we would like to offer a discount to anyone that registers prior to April 1st.

The price for the entire day will be $195.00 if we receive your registration and payment prior to the April 1st deadline.

If you let this opportunity slip away the cost will be $225 and payment and registration must be received no later than May 1st.

LINK
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ghlight=PUTNAM

If you have any questions or you can't open the attached files please let me know.

Chrisnorthway@msn.com

Chris
Northway
Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

I am NOT the Michael Benz in the Indy phone directory. That is some impostor that moved to the area and manages Lifetime Fitness. When they came to the area...they mailed out like a million mailers promoting their new Castleton facility at the time with his (and unfortunately my) name all over it as the manager, and all my neighbors thought I had went all "gym/health club" on em...lol.
LOL!! That is so so funny. ha ha. I bet you're more famous now due to that name i guess!

and hey! Hooligan317, will you be coming to Putnam this summer too? I'd be excited if you come too.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

Here is the post from the other forum on the Putnam run this year. We already missed the early bird discount though...but $225 isnt bad either. We should all three go...would be cool to have three TL's out there running together!!

PUTNAM PARK SPECIAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark your calendars!
June 18th 2007 the day following the USGP in Indianapolis our local Lotus club will be hosting a track day at Putnam Park.

This will be the second annual event and we would like to offer a discount to anyone that registers prior to April 1st.

The price for the entire day will be $195.00 if we receive your registration and payment prior to the April 1st deadline.

If you let this opportunity slip away the cost will be $225 and payment and registration must be received no later than May 1st.

LINK
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ghlight=PUTNAM

If you have any questions or you can't open the attached files please let me know.

Chrisnorthway@msn.com

Chris
Northway

wow the registration deadline is May 1. Oh I've better hurry registering.

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

LOL!! That is so so funny. ha ha. I bet you're more famous now due to that name i guess!

and hey! Hooligan317, will you be coming to Putnam this summer too? I'd be excited if you come too.
Actually....we should also try to hit Tuesday nite drags out at ORP sometime too. Been hitting them for the last two weeks as well. This Friday nite...there is also Friday nite drags...but its so busy...not sure I will go to race in that one. Hear its not worth it...but frankly...I dont know as I have never been out there on a Friday nite. Still mulling that one over.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Lol.. that would be awesome! that we all three go. 3 TL's... that would be a blast! What color is Hooligan317's car? I know he's got the TL-S...

wow the registration deadline is May 1. Oh I've better hurry registering.

Thanks for the info!!!
I havent registered either.....no big deal! Hooligan's car is WDP just like mine but the new TL-S!! Schweeet! I was actually drooling on it before he bought it on the lot at EM Acura on 96th. Hope they cleaned that off the window before he picked it up!! Really, it is NICE!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

You know...oddly enough...I think you may have been on the highway on 465 a few cars behind me last night when I was coming back from the drags. It looked like your car anyway. It got off on Allisonville and turned South toward 82nd Street. I went the other way and was sitting at the stoplight. Oddly enough...if it was you....there was a cop car with his lights flashing coming up from the rear (I was doing about 85 or so) so I jumped off on Keystone exit - watched him pass by on the highway - light turned green...so I ripped across the intersection there at Keystone and went back out on the highway behind him....lol. Thats when I saw the car I think may have been you get WAY closer. To start with...it was about 1/4 mile back anyway (noticed headlights) then when I got back on the highway pretty much immediately after exiting.....it was like two or three cars back then. Would have been on 465 heading east at around 9:30 maybe? I was worried he was after me to write a ticket....but apparently not thank god!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

I havent registered either.....no big deal! Hooligan's car is WDP just like mine but the new TL-S!! Schweeet! I was actually drooling on it before he bought it on the lot at EM Acura on 96th. Hope they cleaned that off the window before he picked it up!! Really, it is NICE!
lol I got mine from EdMartin Acura as well. I bet his is nice as hell. I'm assuming his is a 6MT too? For a moment I thought the car shown in his avatar is his! I was like, wow... that's some setup there. I'll give you PM tomorrow and let you know about the AutoCross event!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

lol I got mine from EdMartin Acura as well. I bet his is nice as hell. I'm assuming his is a 6MT too? For a moment I thought the car shown in his avatar is his! I was like, wow... that's some setup there. I'll give you PM tomorrow and let you know about the AutoCross event!
Yep...he got the only TL-S manual in WDP on the lot!!! Fact is...if I had not had so much dang money in my car in mods....it would be sitting in MY garage right now dangit!

Therefore...I would be the ONLY automatic out there with you guys! Good thing I am supercharged....elsewise I would be greatly lacking!! (not that it isnt now...lol) Boo to my automatic!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

You know...oddly enough...I think you may have been on the highway on 465 a few cars behind me last night when I was coming back from the drags. It looked like your car anyway. It got off on Allisonville and turned South toward 82nd Street. I went the other way and was sitting at the stoplight. Oddly enough...if it was you....there was a cop car with his lights flashing coming up from the rear (I was doing about 85 or so) so I jumped off on Keystone exit - watched him pass by on the highway - light turned green...so I ripped across the intersection there at Keystone and went back out on the highway behind him....lol. Thats when I saw the car I think may have been you get WAY closer. To start with...it was about 1/4 mile back anyway (noticed headlights) then when I got back on the highway pretty much immediately after exiting.....it was like two or three cars back then. Would have been on 465 heading east at around 9:30 maybe? I was worried he was after me to write a ticket....but apparently not thank god!
LOL that sounds like was a pretty close call. Were you sure if the Cop was looking for you? Maybe he was after some other guy? Anyways glad you took the exit quickly and hide. I would've done the same. Nah... I don't think it was me in the TL though yesterday. All I did yesterday was after I left work I went to Kroger, the one nearby Geist (i think). It was around 5:20 PM. They got pretty roads and lots of hills. Was during rush hour so it kinda sucked... hot as hell lol. .... And then I headed home.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

Yep...he got the only TL-S manual in WDP on the lot!!! Fact is...if I had not had so much dang money in my car in mods....it would be sitting in MY garage right now dangit!

Therefore...I would be the ONLY automatic out there with you guys! Good thing I am supercharged....elsewise I would be greatly lacking!! (not that it isnt now...lol) Boo to my automatic!
Yea I heard that high pitch sound out of your engine in the video! Sounded awesome, like a race car. I bet your car is more than powerful enough to make up for not having the MT.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

LOL that sounds like was a pretty close call. Were you sure if the Cop was looking for you? Maybe he was after some other guy? Anyways glad you took the exit quickly and hide. I would've done the same. Nah... I don't think it was me in the TL though yesterday. All I did yesterday was after I left work I went to Kroger, the one nearby Geist (i think). It was around 5:20 PM. They got pretty roads and lots of hills. Was during rush hour so it kinda sucked... hot as hell lol. .... And then I headed home.
Oh....I always assume they are after me when I am pert near (hoosier term there I think....lol) going 90 in the fast lane. (watching the news...why do they keep giving this Cho dude press....thats why he MADE the damn videos man...so he could live after death...screw him....dont give him JACK for press...burn the videos!....end rant...back on topic) Anyway...yes...when I am running fast...if I can...I will avoid the issue if possible. Its too hard to "blend" now...so I saw the opportunity to exit and took it! If he would have exited behind me(was a bit back from me still) I would have pulled over then. I am not running or anything....just trying to hide! lol.

Quick Reply: 2007 Season 3G TL Autocross Thread