3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 camry V6 vs stock TL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, my wife just smoked a WDP 3rd gen TL with a nice set of wheels.Its along ventura blvd. in Tarzana.Who is the the victim among u?JK.My wife couldnt believe it either.She smoked the TL by 3 cars length.Anyways,she just wanna say nice raced and she had fun.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
hey you still interested in a little run?

my car is fully stock and i would like to do this just for fun.

call me if you would like

i live in huntington beach and we can meet up somewhere.
Do u have the TL-P?and stock?So,whats the point of racing then?PM me if u have the new TL-S......cuz,my IS350 almost got beaten today by my brothers new car.
That TL-S is very impressive.Imagine if it was a RWD.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
the V6 camry is insanely fast for what it is....but....i'm its handling........I guess i don't need to discuss about it right? it's all about being the most comfortable mid size sedan.....they can't keep up in the twisties and they don't have any steering feel or whatsoever.....so TL owners, does that help you guys feel better?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iforyou
the V6 camry is insanely fast for what it is....but....i'm its handling........I guess i don't need to discuss about it right? it's all about being the most comfortable mid size sedan.....they can't keep up in the twisties and they don't have any steering feel or whatsoever.....so TL owners, does that help you guys feel better?
Twisties?are u kidding me?No V6 FWD cars are known in taking the twisties well.
What are u talkin about?Handling?We have the SE model that handles pretty tight for a front wheel drive car.Not only that it outpowered most of the sports model of its competition, it outhandled it too.So far IMO the only competition stock
VS stock is the TL-S (the new one) the only competition out there in terms of power/handling wise.But,the new TL-S is a lot better in both aspect except for the price its $9800 more.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:00 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by reynaldo
Twisties?are u kidding me?No V6 FWD cars are known in taking the twisties well.
What are u talkin about?Handling?We have the SE model that handles pretty tight for a front wheel drive car.Not only that it outpowered most of the sports model of its competition, it outhandled it too.So far IMO the only competition stock
VS stock is the TL-S (the new one) the only competition out there in terms of power/handling wise.But,the new TL-S is a lot better in both aspect except for the price its $9800 more.
You are right about no V6 FWD cars are known in taking the twisties well, but thats not my point. My point is the TL can take the twisties a lot better than the camry.

I don't understand one of your statements, "Not only that it outpowered most of the sports model of its competition, it outhandled it too." Since when did the camry become a sports sedan? I would never call a car equipped with 4 wheel strut suspension a sports sedan. 4 strut design, well, it might work on a corolla, but camry? No way. I am not trying to be mean, but, do you know what sports sedans are? Some FWD examples are, Audi A4, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima SE-R, TSX, and TL. At best you can only say the SE is a "sportier" model in the Camry line up.

Back to the all-strut design of the camry, this design, if you don't know, is old. Most European and Japanese family cars don't even use it anymore to improve ride and handling. Sure enough, toyota might have tuned the dampers, the chassis, and the mounting methods very well to improve ride comfort. But don't forget that all other car makers are making these improvements as well. The Camry would be a much better driver's car if it employed at least multi-link or double wishbone suspension at the rear. But fact is a fact, all-strut is the biggest weakness of the camry.

So the SE model, yea, when compared to the other versions in the camry line-up, the SE is more sporty. I know it has stiffer springs, shocks, thicker anti-roll bars, firmer bushings, etc. And it's indeed a big improvement from the last SE model. But unfortunately for toyota, other car makers are also progressing at rapid speeds. Look at the change of mazda 626 to mazda 6, or the altima. And I still haven't bring out some V6 family sedans in Europe such as Peugeot 407 and Alfa Romeo 166. The camry simply doesn't inspire confidence to its driver in the twisty due to its lack of body control. Then the steering, it's light, numb, and has no feel at all. In other words, you, the driver, has no idea what's going on with the car. And then if you are really desperate, the VDC would cut in to intervene you early. All of these together means the Camry, even the SE model, is not meant to be sporty, let alone being a sports sedan.

Of course, I am not saying the TL is doing extremely good in the handling area, but it's definitely a whole lot better than the camry. Being a TL driver, I know what my car can do. And I also drive a camry myself, but it's 98 model, it's rather old. After so many years, the camry still employs all-strut suspension. But really, you can't blame toyota. This is what works for the North American market. It's constantly the best selling sedan, and it's cheap to produce too. And no offense, but there are too many drivers like yourself that consider the camry is sporty enough. If I were the president of Toyota, I wouldn't want to mess with my formula right?

And before you complain about the $10000 difference between the TL type S and camry SE, take a look at Lexus ES350 first.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Instructor

You are right about no V6 FWD cars are known in taking the twisties well, but thats not my point. My point is the TL can take the twisties a lot better than the camry.

I don't understand one of your statements, "Not only that it outpowered most of the sports model of its competition, it outhandled it too." Since when did the camry become a sports sedan? I would never call a car equipped with 4 wheel strut suspension a sports sedan. 4 strut design, well, it might work on a corolla, but camry? No way. I am not trying to be mean, but, do you know what sports sedans are? Some FWD examples are, Audi A4, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima SE-R, TSX, and TL. At best you can only say the SE is a "sportier" model in the Camry line up.

Back to the all-strut design of the camry, this design, if you don't know, is old. Most European and Japanese family cars don't even use it anymore to improve ride and handling. Sure enough, toyota might have tuned the dampers, the chassis, and the mounting methods very well to improve ride comfort. But don't forget that all other car makers are making these improvements as well. The Camry would be a much better driver's car if it employed at least multi-link or double wishbone suspension at the rear. But fact is a fact, all-strut is the biggest weakness of the camry.

So the SE model, yea, when compared to the other versions in the camry line-up, the SE is more sporty. I know it has stiffer springs, shocks, thicker anti-roll bars, firmer bushings, etc. And it's indeed a big improvement from the last SE model. But unfortunately for toyota, other car makers are also progressing at rapid speeds. Look at the change of mazda 626 to mazda 6, or the altima. And I still haven't bring out some V6 family sedans in Europe such as Peugeot 407 and Alfa Romeo 166. The camry simply doesn't inspire confidence to its driver in the twisty due to its lack of body control. Then the steering, it's light, numb, and has no feel at all. In other words, you, the driver, has no idea what's going on with the car. And then if you are really desperate, the VDC would cut in to intervene you early. All of these together means the Camry, even the SE model, is not meant to be sporty, let alone being a sports sedan.

Of course, I am not saying the TL is doing extremely good in the handling area, but it's definitely a whole lot better than the camry. Being a TL driver, I know what my car can do. And I also drive a camry myself, but it's 98 model, it's rather old. After so many years, the camry still employs all-strut suspension. But really, you can't blame toyota. This is what works for the North American market. It's constantly the best selling sedan, and it's cheap to produce too. And no offense, but there are too many drivers like yourself that consider the camry is sporty enough. If I were the president of Toyota, I wouldn't want to mess with my formula right?

And before you complain about the $10000 difference between the TL type S and camry SE, take a look at Lexus ES350 first.
Wow,ur so good in talking good things about the suspension etc.,etc.Camry having struts in all 4 corners.Well,before it end up somewhere else.........i better shut my mouth.AMEN....
Old 11-25-2006, 12:14 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
tl>camry. enough said.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Instructor

BTW,ur car is 2nd gen TL-S which i used to own.That model was like a boat to drive it has double wishbone suspension just like the new one ....But,if u compare it to the new one its like night and day.The transmission was always broken.Rattles everywhere.Body design that only an owner can love.Leather upholstery thats on par with hyundai/KIA perhaps?The only luxurious in that car was the name ACURA
thats it.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:04 AM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
will someone poop on this reynaldo guys car so he stops bragging about his wifes camry. Bottom line what sounds better: "i drive an acura or i drive a camry"
Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ya this guy loves to brag about his wifes camry... so what if it is faster... it;s uglier and also cheaper material used. keep racing with that car and good luck with ur car.... in general TL >>>>> camry do u know what that means?? it means Acura TL is at a HIGHER level than CAMRY.... IF u want to pick on TL's speed with ur v6 camry pick on the TL -S ....
Old 11-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
will someone poop on this reynaldo guys car so he stops bragging about his wifes camry. Bottom line what sounds better: "i drive an acura or i drive a camry"

I DRIVE AN ACURA and my GRANDMOTHER drives the camry
Old 11-25-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
BTW,ur car is 2nd gen TL-S which i used to own.That model was like a boat to drive it has double wishbone suspension just like the new one ....But,if u compare it to the new one its like night and day.The transmission was always broken.Rattles everywhere.Body design that only an owner can love.Leather upholstery thats on par with hyundai/KIA perhaps?The only luxurious in that car was the name ACURA
thats it.
Ouchies Rey... that hurts my feelings.

But yeah, don't worry about Iforyou's comments. I mean it's just natural for people to want to defend their own cars.

I got to test drive the 07 Camry V6 SE this past thanksgiving weekend. My grandparents got it. And yeah, it's fast. Faster than my TL-S stock anyway.

As for handling and twisties... eh.. both cars suck. Best handling car I've owned was an 06 STi. Compared to that all FWD cars suck.

And as for the comparison between macpherson struts and double wishbone; it really doesn't matter on FWD cars. No really. It really doesn't matter, why? Cause they'll still have crappy understeer and torque steer. If you're trying to say that one rides better than the other, ok, you can make a marginally decent argument. But handling? I dunno, my Grandparent's 07 Camry V6 SE was pretty smooth... but then again I changed to a stiffer/lowered suspension set up so I can't remember the TL's factory setting.

And as for the struts being an old design... dude.. i'd argue that having an SOHC engine is an old design. That's the biggest downside to our car IMO. DOHC > SOHC no matter how you see it.

And in terms of value for performance, Camry wins again. It's cheap. Really cheap considering that you get a bigger engine, with more HP and More Torque.

And you guys can hate on me, but IMO:

Toyota/Lexus build quality > Honda/Acura build quality

Yes you can argue that the Camry's new trannies are made of glass, but dude, it's the first 6 speed tiptronic automatic that's been released by Toyota. Did/Do the TL-S come with a six speed auto? No. Again, the TL has an old design.

Infact, when Acura/Honda released the first 5 speed tiptronic, what happend? Oh yeah.. that's right... the transmission got recalled and our warranties got extended to 100k/7yrs. So we can't really say their transmission is crappy since Acura/Honda went through the same thing.

Iforyou and Reynaldo, you guys both made good points. But I'd have to say that the V6 Camry is on par if not better than the TL in terms of straight performance. Value wise, yeah definitely Camry wins there. In terms of prestige, I'd have to say TL wins.

But enough of this "TL is a Sports Sedan, Camry is not..." or vice versa. Because IMO neither are. You want a true full size sports sedan, go get a G35 sedan like Reynaldo did, or go get a 5 series BMW. Cause FWD being classified as a sports car is ridiculous.

Reynaldo! Don't diss my TL-S! You tellin me you didn't like it when you had it? Come on buddy, you were once a proud Acura TL-S owner too right?

Come on, give me some love!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BraveDemon

But yeah, don't worry about Iforyou's comments. I mean it's just natural for people to want to defend their own cars.

I got to test drive the 07 Camry V6 SE this past thanksgiving weekend. My grandparents got it. And yeah, it's fast. Faster than my TL-S stock anyway.

As for handling and twisties... eh.. both cars suck. Best handling car I've owned was an 06 STi. Compared to that all FWD cars suck.

And as for the comparison between macpherson struts and double wishbone; it really doesn't matter on FWD cars. No really. It really doesn't matter, why? Cause they'll still have crappy understeer and torque steer. If you're trying to say that one rides better than the other, ok, you can make a marginally decent argument. But handling? I dunno, my Grandparent's 07 Camry V6 SE was pretty smooth... but then again I changed to a stiffer/lowered suspension set up so I can't remember the TL's factory setting.

And as for the struts being an old design... dude.. i'd argue that having an SOHC engine is an old design. That's the biggest downside to our car IMO. DOHC > SOHC no matter how you see it.

And in terms of value for performance, Camry wins again. It's cheap. Really cheap considering that you get a bigger engine, with more HP and More Torque.

Yes you can argue that the Camry's new trannies are made of glass, but dude, it's the first 6 speed tiptronic automatic that's been released by Toyota. Did/Do the TL-S come with a six speed auto? No. Again, the TL has an old design.

Infact, when Acura/Honda released the first 5 speed tiptronic, what happend? Oh yeah.. that's right... the transmission got recalled and our warranties got extended to 100k/7yrs. So we can't really say their transmission is crappy since Acura/Honda went through the same thing.

Iforyou and Reynaldo, you guys both made good points. But I'd have to say that the V6 Camry is on par if not better than the TL in terms of straight performance. Value wise, yeah definitely Camry wins there. In terms of prestige, I'd have to say TL wins.

But enough of this "TL is a Sports Sedan, Camry is not..." or vice versa. Because IMO neither are. You want a true full size sports sedan, go get a G35 sedan like Reynaldo did, or go get a 5 series BMW. Cause FWD being classified as a sports car is ridiculous.

Reynaldo! Don't diss my TL-S! You tellin me you didn't like it when you had it? Come on buddy, you were once a proud Acura TL-S owner too right?

Of course i love that TL-S it was modded like hell like comptech headers,comptech catback system/exhaust,comptech cold air intake,tranny cooler,urs pulleys,comptech springs/koni shocks, and wheels 18X7.5 TE37 bronze with 225-45-18 potenzas,
cleared headlights etc.etc.BTW,brave demon mine is also WDP with ebony interior
plus i changed my mahogany wood trim with real carbon fiber.I love that car.....if not for the mods. that i did to that car my wife would have maintain it as our company car.When she scratched the car almost everyday because of clearance issue which hurts me a lot.We decided to trade it in for the new camry as our daily driver.It would have been to much money if we get another TL which was out of our budget.That guy was an asshole.......thats why i made those nasty comments.I wont be hanging here on this forum if not for my passion for V-Tech.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BraveDemon

You summed it up best, BraveDemon!! Bravo to you!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vc123
I DRIVE AN ACURA and my GRANDMOTHER drives the camry
How many car lenghts did ur grandma smoke u by?come on tell us the truth.Dont be shy...........thats life buddy grandma just happen to have a much more powerful car than urs now.JK
Old 11-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vc123
ya this guy loves to brag about his wifes camry... so what if it is faster... it;s uglier and also cheaper material used. keep racing with that car and good luck with ur car.... in general TL >>>>> camry do u know what that means?? it means Acura TL is at a HIGHER level than CAMRY.... IF u want to pick on TL's speed with ur v6 camry pick on the TL -S ....
U know what guys?im a honda/acura fan just like yours.Its so happen ,when we were shopping for a new everyday car we saw the new CAMRY that looks awesome(first time in camry's history),interior that has an excellent texture that shouts LEXUS,engine that unbelievably powerful.You what the salesperson
asked to do is to race me with my trading car which was my 2002 TL-S against the
Camry which he drove.He smoked me nevertheless.So,weve got the camry.Not the one that we test drove though.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Instructor

One piece of advise kid.If u cant afford to get the new TL-S which i can.Test drive the camry first.Cuz,u wont regret it.Peace.BTW,i will be trading my g35 for the new TL-S in a few months.Cuz i already have a new RWD which is the IS350/AMG
C32(wifes car)
Old 11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Racer

One piece of advise kid.If u cant afford to get the new TL-S which i can.Test drive the camry first.Cuz,u wont regret it.Peace.BTW,i will be trading my g35 for the new TL-S in a few months.Cuz i already have a new RWD which is the IS350/AMG
C32(wifes car)
lol kid eh ?? lol i own a 06 acura tl and a 06 csx SIR... lol both my car is nicer than ur CAMRY inside out dude .... plastic panels ??? WOW.... oo y trade in for a TYPE S ?? just go in to toyota and trade in for another camry SE ask them to super charge it oo u know what use some moeny get nicer trims and nicer body kit... LOL alrite camry is350 g35 and c32 amg lol post some pics of it check out some of the forum i posted b4 i have pics of my 06 tl lol my friends owns a 07 camry and 06 corolla they rn't nice but sure 07 has a improved a lot but it;s still not even the same level as our TLs if u want to brag about ur super camry go to ur own camry forum
Old 11-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Racer

U know what guys?im a honda/acura fan just like yours.Its so happen ,when we were shopping for a new everyday car we saw the new CAMRY that looks awesome(first time in camry's history),interior that has an excellent texture that shouts LEXUS,engine that unbelievably powerful.You what the salesperson
asked to do is to race me with my trading car which was my 2002 TL-S against the
Camry which he drove.He smoked me nevertheless.So,weve got the camry.Not the one that we test drove though.

interior that has an excellent texture that shouts LEXUS............. GOOD ONE ask anyone on this forum tell me who thinks the new camry's interior is EXCELLENT... man u have LOW standard
btw u mightbe older than i m but ur really imature ....
Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Racer

How many car lenghts did ur grandma smoke u by?come on tell us the truth.Dont be shy...........thats life buddy grandma just happen to have a much more powerful car than urs now.JK

most of the ppl who drives a camry Do NOT race ... u know y insurance is soo high now?? thanks to ppl like i
**** man i m 19 i don't even brag about RACING and winning the races..... if u want to get beat by a TL go talk to ppl who has a SC on their TL geez
Old 11-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Racer

nice ??? or rice??? ......

which one looks better???
the new camry v6 is faster than the TL but look at the design of the two cars .... TL is much nicer in any way
don;t even compare ur camry with the new ES350 ..... not even close
Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Racer

. r u pissed cause u sold ur tl for the camry ?? is that y u have to open this forum to get ppl to tell u camry is > tl so u would feel happier?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
okkkkkayyyy, i believe this thread has run its course.