Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 TL % of Foreign Parts Content

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 TL % of Foreign Parts Content

Has anyone noticed on the window sticker for the 2005 TL that the little box that declares "Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content" is listed as 20% JAPAN?

If you look at the attached section of "Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content" from a 2004 TL it is listed as 15% JAPAN.

So the new 2005 TL has a 5% higher "Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content" from JAPAN. Ergo the 2005 TL is 80% USA components as opposed to the 2004 TL being 85% US components.

Wonder what that extra 5% from JAPAN is comprised of?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
Actually the percentage of USA components could be lower than 80%. Japan is the major source of foreign parts at 15%, but there could be other foreign sources. An extreme example, though improbable, could be that 5 other foreign countries each provided 10% of the parts, for a total of 50%, making the percentage of parts made in the US only 35%.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This pic indicates that the US/Canadian Parts Content is 65%, not 85%.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kona

Well, then I guess this particular 2004TL only had a total of 80% of it's parts; wonder where the other 20% went?

That might explain why some 2004 TL owners have issues/complaints with their vehicles .
Old 10-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by imax
Well, then I guess this particular 2004TL only had a total of 80% of it's parts; wonder where the other 20% went?

That might explain why some 2004 TL owners have issues/complaints with their vehicles .
That's what I meant in my post above. The remaining 20% would be from several other countries, but they would not have to be listed because they were all below the major source, Japan, which was 15%.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
That's main reason why I chose my 02 Maxima over the new 02 Altima: 100% Made in Japan.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F23A4
That's main reason why I chose my 02 Maxima over the new 02 Altima: 100% Made in Japan.
FA23A4, I hope you'll enjoy an exciting career in the food service industry when there are no jobs left in the US. You may think that exporting manufacturing jobs to other countries doesn't affect you if you don't work in manufacturing, but the ripple effect courses through the entire economy. Do you know that for every 1 manufacturing job lost there are 9 related jobs lost? Or don't you care?
This country is currently dependant on foreign manufacturers to supply parts for every power plant we built. We can't even manufacture all the parts for our own military equipment. Have you seen the balance of trade deficit lately? I suggest you check it out. We may never become a third world nation but we sure as hell won't enjoy the standard of living that we've had. Do you know that the recenly born generation will be the first generation in the history of the US that will have a DECLINING standard of living. That's 20 years from now, not some some dark unseen place in a distant future. Most of the people in this forum will live to see it.
Pull your head out of that dark, damp place you've got it buried and realize that every time you buy a foreign product when a domestic one is available you are directly contributing to the decline of our country. Damn you people piss me off.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by rontatuaf
FA23A4, I hope you'll enjoy an exciting career in the food service industry when there are no jobs left in the US. You may think that exporting manufacturing jobs to other countries doesn't affect you if you don't work in manufacturing, but the ripple effect courses through the entire economy. Do you know that for every 1 manufacturing job lost there are 9 related jobs lost? Or don't you care?
This country is currently dependant on foreign manufacturers to supply parts for every power plant we built. We can't even manufacture all the parts for our own military equipment. Have you seen the balance of trade deficit lately? I suggest you check it out. We may never become a third world nation but we sure as hell won't enjoy the standard of living that we've had. Do you know that the recenly born generation will be the first generation in the history of the US that will have a DECLINING standard of living. That's 20 years from now, not some some dark unseen place in a distant future. Most of the people in this forum will live to see it.
Pull your head out of that dark, damp place you've got it buried and realize that every time you buy a foreign product when a domestic one is available you are directly contributing to the decline of our country. Damn you people piss me off.
whoa, whoa. world trade. global economies. it's inevitable that the whole world becomes one marketplace, we just need to learn to make our own stand and maintain our own economy.

other countries do it, we can too.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeezz
whoa, whoa. world trade. global economies. it's inevitable that the whole world becomes one marketplace, we just need to learn to make our own stand and maintain our own economy.

other countries do it, we can too.
That's exactly why we should buy American products when we have that option.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Racer

do you know it's more efficient as a whole to trade with other countries. And why the hell are you so heated over such a harmless statement
Old 10-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gochan
do you know it's more efficient as a whole to trade with other countries. And why the hell are you so heated over such a harmless statement
Thank you for taking care of my lite work gochan.

For Ronta:
"..when a nation has good economic prospects and attracts foreign investment, it tends to run deficits. Conversely, when its prospects are bleak and capital is trying to escape the country, it will tend to run surpluses. Therefore, the existence of a surplus or deficit may tell us exactly the opposite of what the mercantilists believed. Deficits may be a sign of strength, while surpluses are a sign of weakness."
- Bruce Bartlett, Senior Fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA).

Trust me, you dont want to R&P this with me. It wont be pretty. So dont jack the thread. K.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Who cares

I read some where 65 %mexican parts 15 % japan which was mostly the trans and built in the usa
Old 10-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Who cares

Originally Posted by kona

one of the best avatars I have ever seen
Old 10-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04acura tl
one of the best avatars I have ever seen
Thank you 04acura tl if it is my avatar you are referring to.

I love my '79 Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Who cares

Originally Posted by imax
Thank you 04acura tl if it is my avatar you are referring to.

I love my '79 Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul.
sorry! your les paul is very nice but it lacks the hp I crave. I was talking about this one
Sorry about the thread hijack guys!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Apologies to all.

Originally Posted by F23A4
Thank you for taking care of my lite work gochan.

For Ronta:
"..when a nation has good economic prospects and attracts foreign investment, it tends to run deficits. Conversely, when its prospects are bleak and capital is trying to escape the country, it will tend to run surpluses. Therefore, the existence of a surplus or deficit may tell us exactly the opposite of what the mercantilists believed. Deficits may be a sign of strength, while surpluses are a sign of weakness."
- Bruce Bartlett, Senior Fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA).

Trust me, you dont want to R&P this with me. It wont be pretty. So dont jack the thread. K.
Business school BS, but your right, I shouldn't have highjacked the thread. I'll email you this weekend and you can respond if you like.
My apologies to those who I PO'd. A sensitive issue for me.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rontatuaf
Business school BS, but your right, I shouldn't have highjacked the thread. I'll email you this weekend and you can respond if you like.
My apologies to those who I PO'd. A sensitive issue for me.
Sensitive indeed but, duly noted nonetheless. Though I majored in Psych/Hist, I did take several business courses have been in Investment Bank for most of my career. (Go figure. )

But just realize, the context of this thread was regarding us as consumers of products in which quality is a valid concern/focus, irrespective of our views on the trade deficit. (Besides, the Trade Defecit is not solely a matter of the American buying public preferring a foreign built product; the dollar's value alone has a lot to do with this.)

OT & historically speaking, the QC practices of Japanese automakers/workers resulted a higher quality product. Thus, the desire for their products were/are in high demand and possess high value retention. However, cars produced domestically ARE catching up to their Japanese built counterparts, with the focused implementation of similar QC practices. We're already seeing that mid-level domestic built vehicles (i.e.: Chevy & Ford) are surpassing the European vehicles in quality and the higher end products (i.e.: Cadillac) pretty much ranks up with Lexus & Acura.

Great conversation nonetheless.

$.02
Old 10-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Advanced

transmisson built in Japan i thought since the car was built america we would have problem but since the tranny recall im starting to think different about where cars are built poor workmanship everywhere so about the 15% OR 20% THE TRANSMISSON IS ALL JAPAN WOW NOW I BET THAT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
JUST MY had a tranny problem in 2002 TL Type S now i got 2005 TL hope this isnt a problem again since they fix the problem they should of just made a different transmisson instead of fixing the problem oiljet cooler ? who agree ?