Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 RL Demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RL Demand?

I know this is a TL board but was just wondering the member's thoughts on if they think there is going to be a high demand for the 05 RL. In the past the RL really wasn't much of a contender in the near $50K segment. Do you think that will change now with the 2005? Is there anyone who is currently waiting on the 05 TL possibly considering springing an extra $15K for the RL (is SH-AWD and Real-Time Traffic Reporting via Navi worth it?)?

I'm just wondering if the 2005 RL will generate substantial "buzz" beyond the existing Acura customer base. The TL has done a good job pulling a good number of potential customers from BMW (3 series), MB (C class, and Audi (A4), but can the RL do the same in the mid-level segment as well? To me RL as always been aimed at the "luxury cruiser" market (a la Lexus); is Acura trying to use the TL "formula" on the RL? Is the RL going to be the "richer" version of the TL?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

The demand will be higher than the current boring RL, but nowhere near the old Legend levels. Here's why:

The TL is so damned good that it sort of replaces the Legend and you're seeing lots of older TL buyers and older RL buyers switching to the TL. The old TL did not look like a special luxury car whereas the new TL blows the doors off of the BMW and Lexus offerings IMHO.

The slice of the pie left for the RL is a bit scarce; you've got BMW 5 and Mercedes E customers looking for a better value and you've got older TL drivers, BMW 3 and Mercedes C customers looking for something more cushy. The RL isn't a BMW 7 or a Mercedes S and thus the problem. Sort of in no-man's land.

BJ
Old 06-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Good points.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any real advertising for this car yet, even though it isn't available. I think Acura really needs to market the hell out of this because I think most people shopping for a 5 series, E series, or Lexus would not even think of the RL when comparing, because of the RL's last very boring 5 years. I wonder how many people who actually do show up to see the RL decide that for $15K less, they could be just as happy in a TL? Or maybe Acura is hoping for the opposite?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:32 AM
4th Gear

I know that Esserman Acura in Miami already has several deposits on the 05RL.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

Good, IMO

I think the demand for RL, given its sticker,
will be good. It may not have a V8 but I think
when people drive it they will really like it.
At this price point you really are up against
the 5 series, and the new RL looks like
it can handle it very well. Lexus LS, is the only
other competitor I can think of, and maybe the new
Infiniti M45. Hopefully the materials in the new RL are
of excellent quality, that would seal the deal.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boltjames
The demand will be higher than the current boring RL, but nowhere near the old Legend levels. Here's why:

The TL is so damned good that it sort of replaces the Legend and you're seeing lots of older TL buyers and older RL buyers switching to the TL. The old TL did not look like a special luxury car whereas the new TL blows the doors off of the BMW and Lexus offerings IMHO.
If the TL is so damned good, which is true.....what makes you think the RL won't be 10 times better. The RL will sell, after you test drive it
Old 06-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Instructor

akelley
Just FYI, there are new ads for the 2005 RL showing up in the Wall Street Journal.

It's really an IBM ad however. It's full page and IBM is saying how they helped Acura engineers in developing the on-demand traffic info.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
As I know, most of Acura dealers should already receive a few customers' deposit. Although I dislike its appearance and interior, I like to try it due to its great performance rating. I'll put my deposit very soon.

Time will tell, maybe I'll like what it looks...

Well said, I believe it should sell better than its predecessor.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

RL just looks too much like a Honda Accord.. The interior is awesome.. but for 45k I would have expected a little better body design.. Just being honest.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

There are no supply limitations on the new RL. Early demand will be high, just like the TL, and then the supply will be abundant. The only Acura that had a supply problem was the MDX when it first came out. This couldn't be rectified because the factory was also producing the Odyssey and both cars were selling well so capacity couldn't be increased. They rectified the problem in 18 months by building a new factory. Capacity aside, Acura will build as many cars as people want to buy and you shouldn’t expect it to be “exclusive”.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fionn
RL just looks too much like a Honda Accord.. The interior is awesome.. but for 45k I would have expected a little better body design.. Just being honest.
Don't forget that everywhere else in the world the RL is sold as the Honda Legend- hence the family resemblance. I get to Europe a lot and there it's considered a poor mans 5 Series/E-Class. The car is actually more important to Honda outside the U.S. as it tries to bring the brand more up-market.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Honda already has the Accord in it's own segment outside the US. Isn't the TL, Japan's Accord? I'm just saying.. If Acura wants to improve it's image.. It has to stop associating it's higher end upclass luxury sedans with it's 20k brethren.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Instructor

<2004 RLs had the highest resale value of any Acura models despite its poor performance in power when compared to similar models in its class.

the new RL will be a hit, just like the TL (TL will still be better) IMO. again, the concept of more goodies for less $$ will help sales. in addition, the SH-AWD RL will handle spirited-drivers well.

although, Acura is still not associated with the luxury title and most european car owners lease their vehicles, you might see more people switching for a short-term lease..

previous RL owners most likely will return for another buy in a year or two...in addition to new customers from GS models, etc...

for around $30, the TL is the best buy...for $45, different story...buyers here tend to have more liquid $$ and more show...

just my quick thoughts and opinions....
Old 06-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Isn't the new RL suppose to be all wheel drive?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by shady1
Isn't the new RL suppose to be all wheel drive?
SH-AWD: Super Handling All Wheel Drive.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Aside from the integrated traffic-reporting, is the navi unit the same as the TL? I assume it has all the same hands free, voice activated commands, etc.? Is the stereo the same as well (DVD-Audio)?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Instructor

The stereo appears to be a DVD-Audio unit from BOSE..... which doesn't make a lot of sense.
Have you guys seen the new Alpine DVD-Audio unit? $2,000!!! for the head unit.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a lot of fantastic cars available for $50k, a 2-3yr old 740 or S430/S500 will have so much more caché than an RL, 2005 or otherwise....
Old 06-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by roadman
There are a lot of fantastic cars available for $50k, a 2-3yr old 740 or S430/S500 will have so much more caché than an RL, 2005 or otherwise....
its not fair to compare higher classs used cars to the RL. althought one can argue that you get more car for the same amount of money you are also getting a used car. the new RL features alot of new tech that those cars do not have. also a awd system that is hyped as one of the best in the world. the 7 series and S class are in a higher bracket than the new RL but placed against the appropriate competition the RL looks like a pretty good deal.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by caball88
...also a awd system that is hyped as one of the best in the world...
"Hyped" = key word. And the only one that's "hyped" it so far is Honda and a few journalists who had limited ability or time to drive it. Let's see the car and let some of the owners decide how good SH-AWD is. There's an article on SH-AWD in this months C&D. It's either going to revolutionize AWD or be an also ran because Honda's definitely taking a different path than any other car manufacturer. And I’m not just referring to the “SH” component but the whole approach they chose to route power to the rear wheels. Only time and first hand experience will tell.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is my money then it it is fair to compare what I can get for that $50k. In 2 yrs you can either have a 2 yr old RL or a 4 yr old 740 or S430/S500 for that $50k.

If the criteria is new and $50k then for me the RL is still out, first year car from a company who makes no other $50k and above cars. For $50k you still are below flagships from Lexus/Infinity/BMW..etc.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by BarryH
Don't forget that everywhere else in the world the RL is sold as the Honda Legend- hence the family resemblance. I get to Europe a lot and there it's considered a poor mans 5 Series/E-Class. The car is actually more important to Honda outside the U.S. as it tries to bring the brand more up-market.
This car will kill anything around or under $60k in europe and everywhere else.

I this car. BMW and Mercedes
Old 06-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bitium
This car will kill anything around or under $60k in europe and everywhere else.

I this car. BMW and Mercedes
Honda isn't viewed as a luxury marque in Europe or the UK. The service and ownership experience overseas is "Honda" not "Acura". The car will sell better than the car it replaces but there's a lot of perception challenges Honda's going to have to address if they want to hit it out of the park. Europeans will look at a $50K USD Honda like they look at a $65K USD VW (Phaeton).
Old 06-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Retired MOD

Honda isn't viewed as a luxury marque in Europe or the UK. The service and ownership experience overseas is "Honda" not "Acura". The car will sell better than the car it replaces but there's a lot of perception challenges Honda's going to have to address if they want to hit it out of the park. Europeans will look at a $50K USD Honda like they look at a $65K USD VW (Phaeton).
You are right, the most expensive car honda carries here is the honda Accord (acura TSX).

They do have every diesel and hybrid model honda has.

I live in germany and the neither the mercedes nor the BMW dealers are any great, actually BMW dealers are like any chevy dealer in the states. Mercedes are a little more up class, but nothing like the US dealers. Actually AUDI was the most impressive dealer and good service.

Honda in frankfurt was nice, mercedes was ok, bmw sucked.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:11 PM

Actually the current RL/Legend is pretty disliked in Europe. The recommendations in EVO and CAR say buy a Camry or Maxima instead. That's pretty bad, especially since they also hate the old Maxima and Camry. But the new one will be sold as the new Legend and it's going after the 5 again.

It will sell better than the new RL but there will be no great demand for this car, its not a looker. The market is just too saturated between 40-50k.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Bitium
If the TL is so damned good, which is true.....what makes you think the RL won't be 10 times better. The RL will sell, after you test drive it
No doubt it will be 10 times better than the existing RL (and likely the TL too), but the OP was querying on "high demand" for the car, and I don't see it.

Flash back to 1987 and the Legend.....was an amazing vehicle that brought Benz / BMW upper class luxury to the middle class with no competition from any other car company. Such a revelation to see all that luxury and all that handling in such an affordable and trendy car. Today, the RL is a low market share car in a very crowded field.

It's a status issue. There was a time when it was fashionable to tell the world "I could afford a German luxury car but I choose not to". In today's bling-bling world, that's just not the case anymore. If you can afford Benz / BMW, you buy Benz / BMW and let everyone know that you've got the cash. Sad, but true.

So, I see the RL as a car sort of in no-mans-land. Too expensive for the TL / G35 / Volvo crowd, too inexpensive for the BMW 7 and Benz S crowd, and too little status for the BMW 5 and Benz E crowd for similar cash....

BJ