3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 TL Loud wind leaking sound on front driver side window?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL Loud wind leaking sound on front driver side window?

Hi everyone, I had 2004 5AT, gray/ebony Tl (5000miles). This is my first Acura (I never like Honda’s products too much, I had Toyota and maxima b4 this one) So far I am not too happy with my TL for what I paid for. I had a wheel alignment problems that took ACURA service people 3 times to fixed it and than I am bother by the little wind sound (When you drive like 60-70mph, you can heard this by tilt your head next to the window, it sounds like your window is not complete roll up, which is not the case)

I don't know if anyone had the same problem as me?

How can I fix that little noise? Since Acura service people can't do anything about it?? I am just wondering if this car really worth 35k? Thanks for your advice in advance.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

I had this sound before, after my car was repaired. Did you install moleskin or tint? If so, you should check the seal between the door and the window. if you can stick your fingers in when the window is all the way up, that means it's loose... compare it with the other side.

If that's the case, then you need to pull up and out and fit it over the "catch" that is there.

If that's not the case, then i'm puzzled as well. good luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it takes 3 times, isn't it a lemon? and this car is soo much better than the Maxima except for the torque and somewhat better tranny.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Na...i didn't do anything with it yet....I just can't beleive that you spend more than $35K and get stupid cheap parts in return.......what other common problems are out there?

Doesn't anyone know where can you fix the rims after you got scratched from parking to close to the road? or where can i get a nice price for th A-spec rims and wheels?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Weclome to the forum

I'm having this issue since Oct. But, I have to agree mine isn't as loud as other 04TLers. My driverside wind noise is much louder than the passenger side's. And, I'm sure some of ealy builds "might" have this particularly common issue.

My dealer cannot fix the problem.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Advanced

I have the same issue and everytime i go to the dealer they claim they have fixed it but it still the same loud windnoise.

Bluetooth phone is impossible to use. The dealer has readjusted front and rear drivers door. Claiming this was the problem. Nope! They tried again, and said they heard nothing. I bring it back and they hear the wind noise but still nothing. I'm giving them one more chance before I call Acura.

Rets, has your dealer tried anything? My built date was in April! I drove a loaner TL and didn't hear a peep. (Which was an early built) I drove a minivan (loaner rental) that was quite and smooth.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Who cares

Take a dollar bill and fold it in half long ways. Close it in the door with the window down. Pull it back and fourth untill you feel less resistence mark the spot with a piece of tape or something. Then what is usally done is you build up the weather striping with something.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Advanced

I did your trick and i can move the dollar bill all around the front driver door without resistance. The passenger door is solid and the dollar won't move. The dealer told me that they did this already and it was sealed. We'll, obviously it isn't. Back to them I go.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:31 AM
Drifting

That dollar bill trick realy works. I tried it on all my doors, and could hardly pull the bill out. Obviously I don't have any noise, but just wanted to thank 04AcuraTL for the tip. Now, when I tried the same thing on my other car..Honda DelSol BTW...it came out pretty easy but the car is so noisy anyway, I'm not going to persue the matter.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Who cares

Originally Posted by grktl
I did your trick and i can move the dollar bill all around the front driver door without resistance. The passenger door is solid and the dollar won't move. The dealer told me that they did this already and it was sealed. We'll, obviously it isn't. Back to them I go.
yep they need to adjust the door for sure..
Old 10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Someone help please! I just got a call from the service manager who states that he tried 2 TL's with the dollar bill trick and they all slid down. I advised him that this makes no sense since, when I slid the dollar bill in the passenger door, the bill did not move.

Can someone please run out and see if you can slip a dollar bill thru the drivers door.

Thanks I need some backup before i go and try it at the dealership.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by yhc2001
Hi everyone, I had 2004 5AT, gray/ebony Tl (5000miles). This is my first Acura (I never like Honda’s products too much, I had Toyota and maxima b4 this one) So far I am not too happy with my TL for what I paid for. I had a wheel alignment problems that took ACURA service people 3 times to fixed it and than I am bother by the little wind sound (When you drive like 60-70mph, you can heard this by tilt your head next to the window, it sounds like your window is not complete roll up, which is not the case)

I don't know if anyone had the same problem as me?

How can I fix that little noise? Since Acura service people can't do anything about it?? I am just wondering if this car really worth 35k? Thanks for your advice in advance.
is it rallye in roslyn,ny?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Please someone try it!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:27 PM
10th Gear

If the door seals are normal you may want to ask them to check the body plugs on the underside of the car. If one of the plugs has fallen out it will cause a wind noise.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Advanced

When I took my car in on Wed, I wasn't able to move the dollar bill on the passengers door. I was able to move it up and down on the drivers door. Now that I got my car back, I'm able to slide the dollar bill on both doors. I don't know what they did as the service guy who I deal with was not there when i got my car back. My drivers side does not allign properly with the drivers rear door.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Advanced

I've test-drived the '05 last Saturday, I've noticed the driver side window has wind noise and also the front wheels were out of aligment (to the right). The car got only 11miles, when I returned it got 50miles. This is the '05 i'm talking about.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aiia
I've test-drived the '05 last Saturday, I've noticed the driver side window has wind noise and also the front wheels were out of aligment (to the right). The car got only 11miles, when I returned it got 50miles. This is the '05 i'm talking about.

Ummm…. Did you ever go to school by any chance? lol
It should be:
I test drove a '05 last Saturday and I noticed that the driver side window had wind noise. Additionally, the front wheels were out of alignment (pulling to the right). The car had 11 miles when I began the test drive and when I returned the mileage was 50.

They let you take a 39-mile test-drive huh? Humnnnn very interesting.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Once, I test drove an F250 so I can move some furniture. Put over 100 miles on it. Didn't even think of buyin it.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Once, I test drove an F250 so I can move some furniture. Put over 100 miles on it. Didn't even think of buyin it.
That's funny!!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:19 AM
VTEC HoooA

Did the salesperson help with the heavy lifting??
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicki
Ummm…. Did you ever go to school by any chance? lol
It should be:
I test drove a '05 last Saturday and I noticed that the driver side window had wind noise. Additionally, the front wheels were out of alignment (pulling to the right). The car had 11 miles when I began the test drive and when I returned the mileage was 50.

They let you take a 39-mile test-drive huh? Humnnnn very interesting.
Are you a school teacher?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Drifting

Da spelin an gramer on dis forem is absulutely tearable from da way peple spel youd tink dat nobudy ever graduwaited frum high scool.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by JetJock
Da spelin an gramer on dis forem is absulutely tearable from da way peple spel youd tink dat nobudy ever graduwaited frum high scool.
But we can usually understand well enough to answer the question or learn from the information provided. And that is the main purpose of this forum, not to teach people grammar or to comment on their postings.

Enough of the spelling and grammar comments.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Pro

I have this problem too and its driving me nuts! It just started or I never noticed it before. I tried the dollar bill trick and it slides very easily on both passenger and drivers door. The drivers door is the one that is leaking wind noise. Maybe the passenger too, but I dont notice it.

Anyways do you think its comming from the door seals or the window itself. Is there any at home remedies that I can do to fix this? I hate going down to the dealership and really dont want to if I dont have to.

I have an 05, no tints. Please help!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Walshstl
I have this problem too and its driving me nuts! It just started or I never noticed it before. I tried the dollar bill trick and it slides very easily on both passenger and drivers door. The drivers door is the one that is leaking wind noise. Maybe the passenger too, but I dont notice it.

Anyways do you think its comming from the door seals or the window itself. Is there any at home remedies that I can do to fix this? I hate going down to the dealership and really dont want to if I dont have to.

I have an 05, no tints. Please help!
I had the same issue after I got my windows tinted. It probably has something to do with the inner weather strip - the one that you apply mole skin to if you were to have your windows tinted correctly. Anyways, the weatherstrip consist of 2 levels: an upper and a lower plastic/rubber edge. When you roll your windows up, it's supposed to push against the glass and seal up noises from the outside. The outer weather strip one is supposed to do the same. When those edges become worn out or out of position, that wierd ass wind noise creeps through.

If you roll the window down 1/8" after you roll it all the way up, the noise will probably go away. When it's rolled all the way up, you'll notice the glass will flex and create the gap that you don't want between the inner strip and the glass. Rolling it down slightly puts the glass firmly against the inner weather strip but ends up leaving a gap on the outer one. The noise will still disappear though. It looks like the inner one is the main one to be concerned about for noise related issues.

Obviously this is lame fix and sounds pretty cheesy for a 30k car. Mine did this because the idiots at the tint shop used their "special technique" to get around mole skin. They basically roughed up the inner weather stripping with sand paper so that it would not press against the window as hard; thus, preventing tint scratching when you roll the windows up and down (dumbest thing I've ever seen as that would allow more dirt to get trapped and scratch the tint). To get a tighter seal and to protect my tint, I went ahead and bought some MOLESKIN from the groupbuy for $30 and applied it to all my doors. The moleskin should create the tighter seal between weather stripping and glass. This completely resolved the issue. Yours maybe a worn out weather strip or it may just be a little out of place. Try adjusting it a little and see if it's still there. I think you can just roll the window all the way down and make sure it is snugly attached to the lip that comes up in your door. The dealer can do this too probably but don't know if it's worth your trip because they didn't fix my same problem. The moleskin fixed mine in the end. Plus the dealer will end up wrinkling your nice seat bolsters.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro

Thank you so much for your reply binh, I will look at it tomorrow. Just curious, what dealer do you go to? I go to Acura of Seattle, they do decent service but the wait time is very long. They fix a big rattle problem I had, but then about a month later it came back twice as bad lol. I have like 100 rattles in my car, I just learned to live with it but the wind noise I cant stand.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Missing my TL

Thank you so much for your reply binh, I will look at it tomorrow. Just curious, what dealer do you go to? I go to Acura of Seattle, they do decent service but the wait time is very long. They fix a big rattle problem I had, but then about a month later it came back twice as bad lol. I have like 100 rattles in my car, I just learned to live with it but the wind noise I cant stand.
Lol completely random but when I first read this I was like wtf? I never gave any advice so I had to double back and recheck. Then I saw it was BINH and not BLINH haha sorry again for the randomness.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lynnwood Acura and they took forever to change back lighting on the power window switch, vsa switch, and cruise switch. They could not find any issues with the wind noise issue and said I'd have to ride with the mechanic and point it out while driving it. I never did that though. The problem is that it's mainly audible from only the driver seat as it's directly next to the driver. They did however end up replacing my door latch or something that would broken which I never even noticed. They also reinstalled the trunk button wire harness the wrong way which kept making the dash pop back out. I litterally watched the idiot try to force it back in and snaped one of the clips off which led to a nasty squeaking noice. He then said it was already broken and that I would get a new dash if I wanted. I was PISSED. I took it home, figured out that the wiring harness goes behind the metal housing and added some foam to the area where it was sqeaking and the issue was resolved. I guess in this case, the dealer created the squeak so I'll likely never use the dealer for any similar service in the future.

BTW, what part of Seattle are you in? I'm at Phinney Ridge by the Woodlyn Park Zoo.