Sponsored by:

2004 TL or 330i? What should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL or 330i? What should I go with?

Hey guys wats up?

I've been in the market for a few weeks now for a new car..

I want a 4door car, with a decent amount of luxury in it. Good power, and good looks.

Now the 2 cars i've come down to are...

1. 2004 TL
2. 2001-2003 BMW 330i

Now big differences are:
a) power (270hp vs 225hp)
b) fwd vs rwd

Now i'm the type of guy who no matter what car he has or how fast it already is, i wanna make it faster. I've done a considerable amount of research on both cars.

Taking the TL first,
Pros: BEAUTIFUL styling, 270hp v6, beautiful interior, 6spd. MT

Cons: fwd, high-compression motor (so getting much more power out of this engine isn't easy)

And now the 330i,
Pros: RWD, 5spd. MT, $6,000 ASA intercooled supercharger adds 100whp, very classy interior, bmw feel/handling.

Cons: 225hp is kinda low compared to most cars coming out today, very dated bodystyle (5years so far) due for a update, mods for it can be quite pricey

So I want all of your opinions..
I realize that most of you are going to say TL because thats why you got one hehe. But lets just say you didn't have your TL's yet, and had to choose between those two cars, which one would you go with? and why?

Keeping in mind, that I have more intentions to upgrade performancewise.

So tell me what you guys think

thanks,
- Najeeb
Old 03-07-2004, 11:45 PM

Don't let the BMW 225hp fool u, these are strong engines. I think somewhat underated. This is a tough choice to make.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Advanced

yea i beleive the 330i engine IS underrated a bit, i think its actually 230 or 235hp.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Advanced

You are joking right? If you are going to compare, compare the TL and the 5 series. Or the TSX and the 3 series. You get way more bang for the buck with the TL, and a much better looking car. A simple test drive should tell you that.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Instructor

TL gives u more opitions, power and comfort for the price. They also have a good resale value like any other Acura. I would go with the TL without even thinking about it.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Racer

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you plan to drive very aggressively, at or near the limits, require a more balanced chassis setup, max feedback, communication and road feel through the wheel, and greatest potential improvement from modding, you may be happier with BMW. If you want a roomier, quieter, more modern cabin, more amenities for significantly less money, can live with a compromise of ride quality, raw straight line power, and adequate handling below 8/10ths, the TL could be for you. 5 Series is much closer in size, but 3 series is more in line with price (though still far more expensive when comparably equipped). In any case, it's all about what you want out of your car. You're the one who has to live with it. Kind of a cool dilemma, don't you think?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

new vs. new i could see a dillema. however, new vs. used, it has to be the TL. if you were looking for a coupe i could have talked to you cuz i wanna sell my bimmer but tl wins hands down in this comparo
Old 03-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Racer

^
why u wanna sell the bimmer?

the 330 coupes are so nice
Old 03-08-2004, 02:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ravi
^
why u wanna sell the bimmer?

the 330 coupes are so nice
cuz i don't need 2 cars @ 19
Old 03-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Racer

Keep in mind the 330 is due for a re-design next model year so if I were seriously considering one I would just wait 6-8 months rather than pay all that money for what will be considered an "old" one.

Whatever the horsepower ratings say these cars are very close in actual performance. Drive both and you'll see.

The real question is the price difference. A loaded 330i will run $8-$10k more than an equivalent TL. And I bet the redesigned 330 might even be more expensive than the current one.

Its your money so no one can make that decision for you.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Pro

Simple choice:

330i - all sport, Bimmer name, so-so quality
TL - great blend of sport and luxury, high quality

Stewie, you're right about the price comparison. However, akkord is looking at a used E46 (2001-2003) not new, so the price should be on par with the new TL.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:48 AM
What's a TL?

I agree with someone above that said the comparison would be more fair if we were talking new vs. new. Personally, I would love to have a 330 coupe, but a used 4 door that is really small, I would take the TL.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BLACK VELVET
You are joking right? If you are going to compare, compare the TL and the 5 series. Or the TSX and the 3 series. You get way more bang for the buck with the TL, and a much better looking car. A simple test drive should tell you that.
Not again with the TL vs. 5-series stuff. The new '05 RL is Acura's competitor to the 5-Series, not the TL.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Instructor

A high compression engine isn't really a CON.
Yes, it takes prem. fuel, but I think the BMW does as well.
Around here, prem. is 12 to 20 cents higher then 87, and if you put in 15 gallons of fuel, you're only talking about $1.80 to $3.00 more for the tank. That's nothing considering what we paid for these cars.
If you're talking about the engine itself, don't worry, they're built for 11:1 compression. Forged pistons, rods, steel crank and 4 bolt main bearings. I think they're pretty tough.
Higher compression equals more power, fuel economy, and unfortunatly, more NO emissions, but since the TL meets ULEVtier2, that's not a problem either.
Go with the TL.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Banned

TL, no question
Old 03-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Chuck
A high compression engine isn't really a CON.
Yes, it takes prem. fuel, but I think the BMW does as well.
Around here, prem. is 12 to 20 cents higher then 87, and if you put in 15 gallons of fuel, you're only talking about $1.80 to $3.00 more for the tank. That's nothing considering what we paid for these cars.
If you're talking about the engine itself, don't worry, they're built for 11:1 compression. Forged pistons, rods, steel crank and 4 bolt main bearings. I think they're pretty tough.
Higher compression equals more power, fuel economy, and unfortunatly, more NO emissions, but since the TL meets ULEVtier2, that's not a problem either.
Go with the TL.
Okay maybe theres light at the end of this tunnel.. hehe

The reason i said high compression as a CON, is because i kno a lott of people have been saying for example, that the new supercharger that comes out from Comptech, will probably put out the same amount as the one for the 2nd gen. TL's. So getting much more performance out of this engine, isn't simple.

Now someone said, you'd have to get low-compression pistons. So lets say I DO get low-compression pistons, what are the pro's and con's of that?

Now im not THAT knowledgable about engines, but I do know a little bit. Basically i want a car that I can build on performance-wise too.. so do u think the TL is a good platform to modify?

Thanks for ur reply
Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Instructor

TL No question here!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would go for the TL because of the price and what you get. I cant but feel that I am paying like $10k more of the same options. It is mostly the name you get for the $10k.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:56 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by iLLeGaLaKKoRd
Okay maybe theres light at the end of this tunnel.. hehe

The reason i said high compression as a CON, is because i kno a lott of people have been saying for example, that the new supercharger that comes out from Comptech, will probably put out the same amount as the one for the 2nd gen. TL's. So getting much more performance out of this engine, isn't simple.

Now someone said, you'd have to get low-compression pistons. So lets say I DO get low-compression pistons, what are the pro's and con's of that?

Now im not THAT knowledgable about engines, but I do know a little bit. Basically i want a car that I can build on performance-wise too.. so do u think the TL is a good platform to modify?

Thanks for ur reply
If you want to mod heavily, the TL is not a good starting platform to do so. First, you have the inherent inferiority of FWD coupled with high horsepower. The TL is already showing signs that the chassis is nearing its limits. Second the high compression will limit good gains from mods and FI will be very limited by the compression and FWD. Of course this is assumming that you care about how the car handles with the mods. There are many boosted Maximas that live with insane torque steer and are still pretty good at the strip.

The 330 is more receptive to mods but its waaaay $$$. If you want to mod, there are better cars such as the G35, Volvo S60R, Audi S4, and of course the EVOs and STi. All are sedans and are in the $30 to $45 grand range.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Yo Illegal,
My opinion is that the TL is one of the LAST CARS ON THE PLANET that you would want to buy. Modifying a vehicle that is fwd and has 270hp already...i don't think so. If you wanted to modify the handling or cosmetics, then sure. But if you want to try to add 100 more hp to the TL, you would be wasting your time. Strictly from YOUR POINT OF VIEW, i think that the TL is not for you. I personally, like to buy a vehicle from the factory that already has what I want. I never have, and probably never will modify my vehicles(cosmetics aside). I kinda think you are crazy for wanting to supercharge a bimmer! But, if you are going to do what you say, then you do NOT want to buy a TL.

~Z

P.S. Just my 2 cents. I own a TL, and love it!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Advanced

EZZ,

LOL...

I must have been writing my response at the same time as you.
Good advice!!

~Z
Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Tearing down the engine will be a major endeaver. Expensive. On top of the SC itself.... If you spend that much money, just go get a C6 or used M5 or something. M3?
You won't get the fuel mileage with low comp. pistons, it will be slower down low until the boost comes up. You can still do the SC even with the 11:1 pistons, but you won't be able to run much boost pressure. Plus, buh bye warranty. I don't know if I'd go with such an expense of a SC. Plus, you add the HP with a SC, and send it to the front wheels, you may have a bit of a problem with wheel hop, traction , etc.
You must have a lot of $$ burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

I have a friend with a 1995 M3 that he installed a supercharger and NOS. The car is crazy fast. It's scary to ride in. With all the changes to FI, etc., he put $12,000 into it. He can't keep a clutch in it!! He goes through two or three clutches a year. Too much money for me. Now it's time for a new rear end.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:27 AM

:smackhead :smackhead

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...p?s=/index.php
Old 03-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Chuck,
That is INSANE!
I could not imagine blowing thru that kinda cash...
I have friends and even family that enjoy mod'ing their vehicles, and I often wonder why. I am not, in the least bit, interested in spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle to make it louder, less reliable or otherwise less comfortable. That is why the TL and I are a perfect fit! My baby doesn't need anything, she's perfect already. Just an old man's 2 cents...

~Z
Old 03-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Racer

The TL is much larger than the 330, so it compares almost exactly with the 5-series - inch by inch rather than the 3-series.

This may be a factor for you, as well as the reliability factor.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:03 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Zuubah
Chuck,
That is INSANE!
I could not imagine blowing thru that kinda cash...
I have friends and even family that enjoy mod'ing their vehicles, and I often wonder why. I am not, in the least bit, interested in spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle to make it louder, less reliable or otherwise less comfortable. That is why the TL and I are a perfect fit! My baby doesn't need anything, she's perfect already. Just an old man's 2 cents...

~Z
I'm with you Z. If I buy a vehicle, the most I'd do is some bolt-ons that don't ruin the factory warranty. If I got the TL, it would definitely be an auto and i'd treat it as a luxury cruiser. The G-coupe would be more my fun car and I'd be much more receptive to modding it.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EZZ
I'm with you Z. If I buy a vehicle, the most I'd do is some bolt-ons that don't ruin the factory warranty. If I got the TL, it would definitely be an auto and i'd treat it as a luxury cruiser. The G-coupe would be more my fun car and I'd be much more receptive to modding it.
I hear that.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Racer

19 and two nice cars
Old 03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
BMV vs Acura quality

Originally posted by VQ35DE
Simple choice:

330i - all sport, Bimmer name, so-so quality
TL - great blend of sport and luxury, high quality

Stewie, you're right about the price comparison. However, akkord is looking at a used E46 (2001-2003) not new, so the price should be on par with the new TL.

I would say that quality as well as sport and luxury should go to BMW. Do not forget about prestige and image. BMW is up there with MB and Lexus. Acura shares the wanna be status with Infiniti and Caddy. Acura gets gadgets though. Usually important for teenage girls.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro

just wondering what would the guys over there at the BMW forums saying about this???
Old 03-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by rynpamn21
just wondering what would the guys over there at the BMW forums saying about this???
I would say buy the TL
Old 03-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

The BMW, especially with the Sport Package, is a performance car. The TL is a tourer with performance features. If you're looking for something tossable for auto-cross and racing around the twisties go for the BMW. If you want something larger and more comfortable with a sporting edge go with the TL. I wouldn't go for a used BMW unless it was CPO. Brands aside, for the same money, I'd go with new over used just for the peace of mind.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Instructor

My 2 cents:

TL - BRAND NEW vs. 1-2 year old BMW to stay in your price range. Repairs on the BMW are off the hook (I know), just because of those 3 letters. And lets not even talk about mods.

Seriously, wanna spend the $ on a used BMW, and the resultant mods, go for a older M3.

And the even more bottom line:

A brand new TL vs. a brand new 330i - save 10 grand and STILL get a better car!
Old 03-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

Check out the latest annual auto issue of Consumer Reports (April). 2004 TL made the "cover car". They like it.

" The TL is the highest-scoring car we've tested in the upscale sedan category...."
Old 03-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Instructor

That's kinda scary... that Consumer's Reports actually likes the TL.
I didn't know that they ever actually liked anything.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Instructor

How long do you plan having the BMW? I would never, ever own a german car because I like to keep mine to 150k or so. Do you have any idea what it costs to keep a german running that long? And how long you have to wait for parts? Ask anyone who has a VW, Audi, BMW or, the worst, MB. If it is a lease or you plan to dump it before the warranty, then I would go with the BMW. The reasons I didn't was 1) drive too much in the rain and snow so the xi was way out of my price range and 2) no way was I going to deal with my car in the shop for weeks on end waiting for sevice. Plus I can't fathom paying extra for a sunroof, CD player, leather, etc, etc,
Old 03-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Advanced

ehh.. screw the bimmer hehe..

TL it is, i j/can't get over the interior styling of the TL, thats honestly wat impressed me the most lol...

Too bad I gotta wait 3 months to get the TL I want