Sponsored by:

2004 G35 vs 2004TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:40 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 G35 vs 2004TL

the 2004 G35 Sedan will be available with AWD! I got this from msn autos
"The hot G35 gets a new center console on the coupe with leather and 6-speed manual transmission, an improved CD changer, tire-pressure monitoring system, and heated front seats standard on sedans with leather trim. Infiniti has also announced that the G35 Sedan will be available with full-time all-wheel drive later this year."

yeah so anywayz do you guyz still think the TL is better? I think they are both nice sporty lux cars. I think the TL has more standard features and more technology but lacking in the sports end of its name while the G35 is getting more towards the sports now. So G35 or TL.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 is a sports car and TL is sports sedan with a bit of luxury and a nice navi, and many many standard technologically advanced features..

Also I would take the TL Over the G35 Sedan ANY DAY!!

The G35 Sedan is BUTT UGLY, now the Coupe on the other hand I dont mind, but fully loaded those things get around 38k+ and now with AWD it will be $40k+
Old 09-04-2003, 11:52 PM
styling on you

The G35 Sedan is an entry level luxury/sports sedan. The G35 Sedan may be pricey fully loaded but its MSRP is around 30Gs. The TL on the otherhand has an estimated MSRP of around 34Gs base. If you fully load the TL i suspect that the cost will be much more than the G35 Sedan. Also i think the TL is like an overgrown TSX dropped down a flight of stairs and restiched together. Anyways i think if your going for all the latest gizzmos and a more? luxurious ride then a TL would be the better choice. But if you want luxury and a true sports car sedan without all the new gizzmos but certainly not dated then the G35 would be the choice.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't all 04 models require a tire pressure guage?
TL should have it too

TL RULES
Old 09-05-2003, 12:25 AM
5th Gear

The note I got from our Infiniti Dealer is that the G35 AWD will not come with the option for a 6 Spd Manual. If you're into automatic cars, the G35 AWD is pretty sweet. I'm taking the TL because I want my 6 spd.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:39 AM
Race Director

G35 is Sports, where is the luxury in the car.. The Interior is gross and the SEDAN is UGLY!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:51 AM
Cruisin'

There is no way the G35 fully loaded will cost less than the TL fully loaded. The TL will always remain the best value in its class. So for costing less and bearing superiority in every possible way to the G35 except the type of drivetrain, I don't see how someone could call the G35 the better car. Plus with the TL's upgraded engine, it will at the LEAST be neck and neck with the G35 at 60 mph, though maybe not at less mph since it has less torque and is heavier (which I still like since weight means sturdiness and safety). But remember, the less torque is due to the smaller engine, and the smaller engine is what gives the TL the best fuel economy in its class. And the A-spec--now THAT will erase any doubt about its handling superiority.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by moreace
Don't all 04 models require a tire pressure guage?
TL should have it too

TL RULES
That is what I thought, too.

Unfortunately, the 2004 RL & TSX do not have one.

I really hope the TL does.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:21 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

What about the demensions of the two cars the 2004 TL has less rear legroom and trunk space than the previous TL and I'm sure the G35 will offer more interior and trunk space something that could be important to most customers comparing the 2 cars. The bulk of the TL sales will be automatic so an automatic tranny with AWD is a serious competitor for a auto TL. I would get the TL over the G35 but I would definately consider the 2004 G35 a close winner up when it comes to RWD and bang for buck factors. Plus the G35 can be had with 6spd man, cloth seats for 30K +-...
Old 09-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

I'd take a G35C over the TL ... but not the sedan.

Besides - I could care less if my PASSENGERS are comfertable. I didnt buy the car for THEM.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:37 PM
8th Gear

I have had a G35 Sedan since May, and can't wait to trade it in.

Drive is good, and I do like the looks, but (as I wrote in a G35 forum before) ..
(1) ergonomically the car is a disaster area, which hardly a single button in the right place, and a so-so driving position, and
(2) the brakes, great at high speeds, but unusable at lower speeds: way too sensitive ('grabby').

I am getting so fed up with having to search for buttons, with the window buttons where my left knee is, the seat buttons between my right thigh and the center console, the radio on/off and volume on the right hand side, etc etc. And then I have not even started about the analog clock, three displays instead of one on the centre console, and on and on.

Ok, frustration level down for a while ...

Can't wait to test drive in the TL, which is looking good except for Honda's possibly deal-breaking decision to do DVD-A instead of MP3s. Don't car designers care about their potential clients any more?

RJ
Old 09-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey RJTL,

Thanks for the honest commentary!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:35 AM
styling on you

guess the TL won this won lolz, but i dont think the G35 is the pos that you guyz are implying. Where is the luxury? where isnt the luxury... The only real upz for the TL is the bluetooth and the 5.1 sound IMO rest is comparable to the G35. Also the G35 looks classic and modern, the TL is trying to get that muscular look or somethin with all those curves and square tipz. Anywayz both are good carz. upz to both.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:41 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
On top of all that... Keep in mind that the G35 is made in Japan, where as the TL is huh... sadly made in USA...

While the interior quality and design suck ass on the G35, I would assume at least that the rest of the car have a superior build quality..
Old 09-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Pro

At this point in the game, I have to have RWD (if not AWD) if I'm rolling w/260hp+ (i.e.: G35, TL or my own 2K2 Max).

I cant wait until the next comparo test in C/D when they compare the two (among others). (Maybe this time they wont run the cars with 87 octane like last time.)

As for the G35, I am impressed with the G35S 6MT's 14.2sec ET C/D pulled (ref. 10/03 C/D), or roughly the same time as the 280hp G35C.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:44 PM
styling on you

I saw some photos of the G35 interior it looks really clean ;D
Old 09-07-2003, 09:40 AM
8th Gear

Originally posted by SeCsTaC
I saw some photos of the G35 interior it looks really clean ;D
Better check out the real thing: some G35 versions use quite a bit of titanium colored plastic.

Main reason it looks clean is that it does not use knobs, only push buttons. My wifes Nissan Murano uses knobs where possible, and it is so much easier. Just imagine getting three buttons (in a G35) to switch the radio on/off, louder, and softer. One knob can do the trick.

RJ
Old 09-07-2003, 09:30 PM

I am getting so fed up with having to search for buttons, with the window buttons where my left knee is, the seat buttons between my right thigh and the center console, the radio on/off and volume on the right hand side, etc etc. And then I have not even started about the analog clock, three displays instead of one on the centre console, and on and on.
One reason Infiniti still can't be taken serious as a Luxury car maker. Nissan's CHEAP ASRSE brought the exact car sold in Japan over and did not move any controls. Since they drive on the right hand side in Japan, that is why all the controls HERE are on the wrong side. It is an ergonomic flaw of massive proportions.

But damn it is a sweet drive. I'll have to drive the 04 Tl to pass final judgement.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:35 PM
styling on you

I love both cars, and god damn the G35 with the AWD will be awesome.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:37 PM
6th Gear

Re: 2004 G35 vs 2004TL

the 2004 G35 Sedan will be available with AWD! I got this from msn autos
"The hot G35 gets a new center console on the coupe with leather and 6-speed manual transmission, an improved CD changer, tire-pressure monitoring system, and heated front seats standard on sedans with leather trim. Infiniti has also announced that the G35 Sedan will be available with full-time all-wheel drive later this year."

yeah so anywayz do you guyz still think the TL is better? I think they are both nice sporty lux cars. I think the TL has more standard features and more technology but lacking in the sports end of its name while the G35 is getting more towards the sports now. So G35 or TL.
Just when you think it's confusing enough, along comes another blockbuster to make you think.

I found out over the weekend that Subaru is coming out with an all-new 2005 Legacy (It's new platform is currently tearing up the Japanese streets in 280 hp turbo form). It's due late May. I didn't think much of this news until I read the two articles just out on it. Subaru is putting a naturally aspirated 250 hp flat-6 in it as an option, for one thing. That got my attention. There will be a turbo 4 with just a few more hp than the 6, but I dislike turbos and wouldn't have been interested if not for the 6, which has been tuned for bottom end torque according to one of the articles.

Being a Subaru, it's got AWD, of course. Not only that, the interior space has grown in this car and the weight has been reduced. How does a fully loaded Legacy with a flat-6 attached to a 5-speed manumatic (paddle shifter) that weighs less than 3200 pounds sound? Skip the moonroof and a couple options and you're talking around 3150 pounds.

I looked around the Internet for complaints about the Legacy and WRX and found very little. These cars enjoy a decent reputation in Consumer Reports and all over the Internet. No tranny problems and no warped rotors.

I know all about the problems of the 2000-2003 TL. I want a 5AT in my next car and there's no way I'd consider the 2004 TL 5AT! Honda must have really squeezed Acura's budget on the 2004 TL because the "new" automatic is the same horrible tranny! Do I believe Acura fixed it? Hell no! Even the lousy brakes from the last generation were carried over on the 2004 5AT. Fortunately, the 6MT gets better brakes, but I'm not interested in a manual after 32 years of nothing but manuals. How much better are these new brakes, I wonder? Just Brembo front calipers? The 75 pound heavier 5AT doesn't deserve the same meager brake upgrade? After carefully going over every speck of information available on the 2004 TL and reading between the lines, I'm very disappointed in Acura. Another thing that irks me: I thought the shorter 2004 TL 5AT might have cleverly shed 100 pounds or so. That didn't happen, either. From an engineering viewpoint, Acura failed to deliver. Open your eyes and look past the early creampuff reviews. The 6MT may prove to be halfway decent, but the 5AT looks mighty suspicious to me.

Here's some interesting specs: Subaru shaved 200 pounds off the Legacy despite increasing its wheelbase to 105.1" and making the cabin roomier. That makes the AWD Legacy 5AT 400 pounds lighter than a similarly equipped FWD TL 5AT. That fact got my attention! Forget the AWD G35 because it'll be too big and heavy! This Legacy with a 250 hp flat-6 or a 250 hp turbo-4 will run circles around the G35, TL, 350Z, and perhaps the BMW 330i. We'll see...

AutoWeek article

Car & Driver article
Old 09-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Race Director

THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE BUSTER!!!

Wasn't Temple of VTEC Enough, Dude your pissing me off, stop coming to Enthusiasts forums and not be LOYAL! Come and talk if you got something good to say, why are you always talking about the tranny problem, we get it, you dont like the TL, Say something good or SHUT UP!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:29 PM
styling on you

hmm... sounds like suburu is steppin up ;D but then i think that the interior isnt too nice and suburu hasnt been around too long so we dont really know about reliability and such too well. Anywayz id hit the G35 over the Suburu anyday. As for the 04TL it looks very promising.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 AM

Honda must have really squeezed Acura's budget on the 2004 TL because the "new" automatic is the same horrible tranny! Do I believe Acura fixed it? Hell no! Even the lousy brakes from the last generation were carried over on the 2004 5A
I've gotten word from a Honda insider saying the tranny issue in not just the CL/TL but MDX, Odessey/Accord killed a lot of R&D in the new TL.

About a 35-40k Suburu, no thank you. Like a 35-40k VW to me. I would rather not, even if the car is step up from it's predecessor.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmm... sounds like suburu is steppin up ;D but then i think that the interior isnt too nice and suburu hasnt been around too long so we dont really know about reliability and such too well. Anywayz id hit the G35 over the Suburu anyday. As for the 04TL it looks very promising.
Subaru hasn't been around too long?? Fuji Heavy Industries has been building motor vehicles about as long as Ford and GM and selling the Subie here for over 30 years. My wife has a seven year old Subaru Outback that's as rattle free as the day we bought it new. Zero mechanical problems over those years!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
styling on you

Oh seriously, I didnt know, but i certainly didnt hear from it much back then. In fact if i werent an enthusiast i dont think i would have known now either lol. But i dont really remember seeing advertisements or anythin for suburu.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Instructor

I'll take 350+ hp STi Legacy over G35 any day..
Just wait a year..
MCIntosh Stereo/DVD Nav, 280hp turbo stock GT, 350+ for STi, with few mods 400+ hp.. Legacy gonna be heck of a car.. Oh ye, it will handle like M3... or better..

Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro

Talking

All I can say about the G35 is this: take a look at the crash ratings that just came out for this car. It was one of the worst!
Old 09-12-2003, 04:09 PM
8th Gear

Originally posted by lonny
All I can say about the G35 is this: take a look at the crash ratings that just came out for this car. It was one of the worst!
Where did you find this? Can you help with a link?

Nothing on http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ratings.htm

RJ
Old 09-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
http://www.msnbc.com/news/961420.asp?0dm=C16JV

It's the 5MPH bumper test. In reality they all did crappy.

It's been like that ever since style said it wasn't cool to have a nice strong bumper sticking out in front of the car. Everyone wants nice plastic covers.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Originally posted by RJTL

Can't wait to test drive in the TL, which is looking good except for Honda's possibly deal-breaking decision to do DVD-A instead of MP3s. Don't car designers care about their potential clients any more?

RJ
Why is that deal breaking? Why is MP3 playing all that important? You can still convert MP3 to standard CD format and get over an hour of playing on a CD. With a 6 disc changer what am I missing?

I know you can cram a lot more MP3 formatted music on a CD but how much music does the average TL buyer need?

I do agree that DVD-A is a waste.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by SL1200MK4
On top of all that... Keep in mind that the G35 is made in Japan, where as the TL is huh... sadly made in USA...

While the interior quality and design suck ass on the G35, I would assume at least that the rest of the car have a superior build quality..
This is just your opinion that is not really born out by facts. My opinion (equally factless ) is that I'd take a US made Honda/Acura product vs. a Japan made Nissan/Renault product any day. IMO its the engineering that goes into the design that determines longterm durability and not who screws said parts together.

For example, if the Honda designer says, "lets attach the door panel with 6 screws and 10 clips" and the Nissan desgner says, "lets use 13 clips and 3 screws so its faster to assemble" whose door panel will be squeek free in 5 years? It does no matter who fastens the clips and screws, the flaw was in the design stage.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:18 PM
8th Gear

Originally posted by doopstr
Why is that deal breaking? Why is MP3 playing all that important? You can still convert MP3 to standard CD format and get over an hour of playing on a CD. With a 6 disc changer what am I missing?

I know you can cram a lot more MP3 formatted music on a CD but how much music does the average TL buyer need?

I do agree that DVD-A is a waste.
I posted this before it was explained to me. Conversion to standard CD format is just fine.

RJ
Old 09-12-2003, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Has anyone seen the pics from this week's ride and drive? The G35 looked so outdated/old next to the new TL.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:12 PM
styling on you

I think its classy, IMO TL looks like a youngsters ride with pocket change.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SL1200MK4

Um, that's a bit harsh on the interior of the G, but to each his own.......My G is pretty tight quality wise.

My biggest gripe with our 2K2 TLS (other than the tranny) was the fit/finish of the bumpers - color was way off and the fit not so good - I've come to expect excellence from Honda products, and was a bit let down.

It also had titanium plastic around the shifter, which my wife trashed in like 2 wks with her cell phone. (she's not allowed to have her phone in the G!!!)

I trust they'll get the new TL right - the new Accords I've seen have been great fit/finish wise
Old 09-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

My wife's 03 EX-V6-Navi has been great so far. 11k miles, no rattles or visits to the dealer, outside regular service and TL like cracked foglights!
Old 09-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Racer

I'd love G35 type of car with AWD...but it's ugly as hell.
If I want a coupe and AWD is on G35, then I'd take it in a heartbeat. For a cousin, G35 coupe is gorgeous.
Unfortunately, my next car is still going to be either a roadster or a 4 door. It depends on whether I replace the s2000 or the tl-s.
The look is still by far my first priority.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Ahh, I'd have to disagree..
STi ($31k) is faster than M3/M5 and outhandles M3, S4, etc.. Deal of the century for me, if u not looking for luxury...
40kVW? Try 50k V8 Tourareg or 50k+ v10 diesel one coming next year.. It's BEST truck out there, bar none... great for offroading, interior better than FX45, X5, ML and featurewise kills every other SUV out there, except maybe problem prone Range Rovers..

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

About a 35-40k Suburu, no thank you. Like a 35-40k VW to me. I would rather not, even if the car is step up from it's predecessor.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:10 PM
styling on you

yeah STi is hot! Pure racecar. When you try to add some of that luxury and extra "fancy" equipment **** getz heavy and you lose performance (m3) just my take on it. The G35 Sedan dont look that bad guys!! Interior is hot looking also.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Don't forget the M3 light comes out next year. More HP and less weight.

Whew.............

Quick Reply: 2004 G35 vs 2004TL