Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 wheel or 4 wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 wheel or 4 wheel alignment

I need an alignment on my '06 TL and the shop, when I made my appt, asked if I wanted a 2 wheel or 4 wheel alignment. They recommended 4 wheel without really a reason and of course the price goes to about $60 for the 4 wheel vs. $35 for the 2 wheel. I would think a 2 wheel will suffice being a front wheel drive car. Any thoughts on the advantages of a 4 wheel alignment or is this just a way for a shop to get more money from unknowing customers that think it is better. Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to get a 4 wheel alignment. Thats the proper way to do it. You would be wasting your time and money on a 2 wheel. I cant' believe they gave you the option. I would take it somewhere else that acutally knows what they are doing.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Terminex

4 wheel alighnment is NOT necessary in most cases

The only time you need a 4 wheel alignment is for one of the following:
  • new suspension
  • new wheels with different offset and or wheel size / weights as than can affect alignment of the rear
  • 4 wheel steering
  • improper wear on the rear tires (and you are SURE they have been inflated to the proper pressure)
  • 4 wheel steering (fairly rare, You find it more common in serious off road rigs, but some cars and trucks have it) - not the TL

others will chime in if I missed anything.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Why do you think you need an alignment?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sandynmike
Why do you think you need an alignment?
Car pulls to the left and the steering wheel is off center to the right.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Brake dust is a badge

Originally Posted by Cecilt
Car pulls to the left and the steering wheel is off center to the right.
I had the same problem when I first had my car. Took it to the dealership for an alignment....nothing. Took it in again a couple weeks later and they did a 4 wheel alignment. This time it worked. The car tracks straight and the steering wheel is centered. They even gave me a print out of the alignment results. I suggest getting a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by terminex
The only time you need a 4 wheel alignment is for one of the following:
  • new suspension
  • new wheels with different offset and or wheel size / weights as than can affect alignment of the rear
  • 4 wheel steering
  • improper wear on the rear tires (and you are SURE they have been inflated to the proper pressure)
  • 4 wheel steering (fairly rare, You find it more common in serious off road rigs, but some cars and trucks have it) - not the TL

others will chime in if I missed anything.
Are you An ASE certified technician? 2 wheel alignments were ok 20 years ago, but not anymore. A quarter of the cars sold today come out of the factory out of Alignment. You really should have the alignment checked with every new set of tires. Just so everyone knows, whenever you do an alignment you start with the rear and then align the front to the rear.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I know this is a dumb question. But what is actually adjusted in an alignment?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Toe, Caster, Camber are adjusted in an alignment from what I remember.

You can look here from HeelToe and he has some information on why it's important to get a good alignment.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/motorcycle-vin-check-147290/
Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sorry hes not ASE certified. I am though.

Alignment usually falls under time and mileage. Your suspension takes one hell of a beating every day. If you use your vehicle daily then every 2 years you should have a 4 wheel alignment and your tires rotated every 6k to assure they will last the longest life. In some cars the rear is not adjustable and if you do have any camber its most likely something is bent. Now for our cars it is 4 wheel align able. Driving in NYC its best to have an alignment every year due to road conditions.

What is adjusted?

-Camber (Neg or Pos)
-Caster
-Toe

Best way to assure you are saving some green, check your tire pressure every 2 weeks. The factory specs are 32-35 PSI. You are pretty much safe in that range. Place your hand flat and firm on your front tires more so on the edges and move counterclockwise wise. If you feel any chop, feathering or uneven wear your due for a tire rotation and possible alignment down the road if the problem persists. I tell everyone, its your car your money take the advice and use it to your ability.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Sorry hes not ASE certified. I am though.

Alignment usually falls under time and mileage. Your suspension takes one hell of a beating every day. If you use your vehicle daily then every 2 years you should have a 4 wheel alignment and your tires rotated every 6k to assure they will last the longest life. In some cars the rear is not adjustable and if you do have any camber its most likely something is bent. Now for our cars it is 4 wheel align able. Driving in NYC its best to have an alignment every year due to road conditions.

What is adjusted?

-Camber (Neg or Pos)
-Caster
-Toe

Best way to assure you are saving some green, check your tire pressure every 2 weeks. The factory specs are 32-35 PSI. You are pretty much safe in that range. Place your hand flat and firm on your front tires more so on the edges and move
counterclockwise wise. If you feel any chop, feathering or uneven wear your due for a tire rotation and possible alignment down the road if the problem persists. I tell everyone, its your car your money take the advice and use it to your ability.
Very well said, I couldn't agree more as an ASE master tech myself. I just get a little hot under the coller when unqualified people give bad advice.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
Very well said, I couldn't agree more as an ASE master tech myself. I just get a little hot under the coller when unqualified people give bad advice.
Congrats on your Achievement, I couldn't agree more with your statement to those who aren't qualified in the field. I hope to get my master tech patch soon.