Sponsored by:

13000 mile update/questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
13000 mile update/questions

So, my 04 TL has about 13000 miles on it and it is such an AWESOME CAR

i've had quite a few problems in the car though but it is expected since it is an early build...all the problems have been taken care of except the driveline vibration, but that seems to be common among many TL's.

my tires are worn out and will need replacement in the next couple of months...the car runs really smooth and even though the tires (el-42's) are on its way of being bald, which is very good to hear...

i have a few questions though...at this stage in the car, should i be doing anything else to maintain its quality/performance?

for example:
1) do i need to put any fuel injector cleaners?
2) use different types of oil than what the dealerships use?
3) anything else that i should do to maintain its quality?

obviously, i have completed the first two services, and the MID reads oil life <60%....so i would really appreciate it if people could provide their opinion regarding what needs to be done at this stage...if nothing needs to be done, then that's fine as well because either way, i'm still going to enjoy driving the car

thanks in advance...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
>> "1) do i need to put any fuel injector cleaners?"
I have started using a quality fuel system cleaner at the 10,000 mile marks. In fact, yesterday I just hit the 10,000 miles with my TL and currently have a cleaner in my fuel tank.. so it received an oil change (by me, of course) and an application of cleaner. I use Chevron "Techron" (hope I spelled that right).

>> "2) use different types of oil than what the dealerships use?"
I'm not certain exactly what you mean with this question, but I assume you have been getting oil changes done by your dealer. If that's the case, do you know what type of oil they have been using? Also, I am assuming that at 13,000 miles, your TL has already received several oil changes. I use Mobil 1 and have gone to 5,000 mile change intervals, though I MAY move to 4,000 changes in the future. I'm watching the MID closely for this.

>>"3) anything else that i should do to maintain its quality?"
Don't scrimp on the oil filter. Use quality products. I use either the OEM Honda unit or the Mobil 1 #M1-104 (this is what I've used the last three oil changes).

Finally, if you're not doing you own oil change, give serious consideration to starting to do this.. if you are able (have a place to do it, etc.). That way, you'll know what was done and if you know what you're doing, you'll know it was done right. I take my time and with the TL, it takes me around 30-40 minutes to do an oil change (including setup and take down of tools, a tarp, and such). Then I carefully check my work and run the engine up to 2500 RPM for about 10-15 seconds and check for any leaks.

As for fuel system cleaners, they do their best work when the engine is used in normal driving, such as stop and go traffic and normal shutdown and startup. Adding a fuel system cleaner, then taking a 400 mile trip will not return results as good as normal, daily use with the cleaner in the tank. This is because when shut off and sitting, the clean has a chance to do its work better on the intake ports and the backs of the valves, as well as the injectors.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great response, SouthernBoy. I echo your comments, and would add one caveat: I too, have been using Chevrons "Techron" about every 10,000 miles on my previously owned cars. I recommend not getting the Chevron "ProGard" which I think is a "watered down" Techron blend and sold at Costco. Get the actual Techron sold at auto parts stores, and I think the application rate is one ounce per gallon of tank capacity, or 17 ounces for a full tank.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

To Repecat;

Yep. I noticed that the Chevron Techron cleaner now comes in 20 ounce bottles along with the standard 12 ounce one. Next time, I'm going to go with the larger bottle and a full tank.. it's to guess-laden to approximate the amount of fuel in a partial tank.

To Jinen;

A few more things. When using a fuel system cleaner, go to a gas station, add the cleaner to your tank, THEN add gas. This way, it gets mixed up from the in-coming fuel. Also, try to use quality fuel, not some unknown small station that doesn't pump much gas per month. Try to use newer stations because their in-ground tanks should be in much better condition. And use a station that moves a lot of product, but don't take on fuel when the station is getting a fuel delivery.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One other suggestion not posted previously: If you're planning to keep your car for some time, change the brake fluid every year. Brake fluid loves to absorb water, which can then corrode some of the components of the brake system. Having the dealer change the fluid shouldn't be too expensive, or you can do it yourself if you know how.

Also, find the cowl and door drains and make sure they're clear.

Finally, vacuum the interior thoroughly as often as you can stand, and treat the leather a couple of times a year.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Racer

Your tires are shot after only 13k miles???
Old 01-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tires......

Yeah I noticed that as well. The tires should not be shot after 13000!!!!... I have a set of L42s on one of my cars (500 miles on them so far) so I am watching them.

I had a set of 45 potenzas on the CL I traded and drive on the aggressive side, they still had decent tread on them at about 25k.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Glad to see you like the car still

Stewie and Mickey3c The EL's are crap tires.... even if they dont go bald, most people would want to replace them due to their lack of traction in snow/rain/ice (assuming you live in such an environment)
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Pro

Yes my tires are pretty much bald...the ones in the front have SOME grip remaining but it's too little...the ones in the back are bald...i'm planning on changing them to the falken 512's or the michelins....not sure about which one yet...but that's a whole different story...

Repecat:
I use Exxon Premium gasoline everytime in my car...this gas station is off a highway so I know that it has a lot of traffic going in and out of the station and the price is reasonable as well...

RickF:
Where is the break fluid located and how easy/difficult is it to change that by ourselves?
What do you mean by cowl and door drains?

SouthernBoy:
I am sure that I can purchase the Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner at an auto store, but would I also be able to purchase the oil filter there? Does the oil filter need to be changed every time I get an oil change in the car or whenever I feel like it? I usually just take my car to the dealership and have them do the services on the car...

Thank you all for providing your opinions...i will definitely take your advice....
Old 01-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

As far as the tires - I personally reccomend the Falken 512's I put them on just after I bought my TL (month and a half ago) and they are amazing.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Pro

See, I just recently purchased the falken 512s on my 2002 nissan maxima and obviously they are going to give me a better ride than my previous tires so i really can't say that they suck or that they are great becuase i just haven't had them on the car for that long...but i was debating about this:

people say that michelins would last longer and are more reliable...then is it better to spend the extra $$$ now and get michelins and not worry about tires for the next several years....or is it better to get falkens on the car now and in about 2 years or so, you would have to switch the falkens again...how is the treadwear on the michelins? if the michelins have twice the treadwear than falken, then it might be a better idea to get michelins now, even though they are more expensive...i'm not sure what to do...
Old 01-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

See, that is a good question. I asked myself that also - but I had read that the Falken are superior for handling (sporty driving wise) so I chose that route.

I will more than likely go to the mich. all season sport next time around...unless something better is out then
Old 01-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
els ugh

Well I have not put enough miles on mine to see any wear since I am under 1000 miles. I did look at the tires on tirerack and if their rating system is an accurate reflection on how well the tires perform, they do nothing well. They are marginal in snow, and wear out fast.

I guess I would not mind if they tires were fantastic in one environment (winter or summer), but they are expensive crappy tires...

It is almost like bridgestone made a mistake and then offered a deal on the tires to the manufacturers to install them on their new models. I have had some excellent bridgestone tires in the past, but will not go back any time soon.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=ST

there are a lot of tires here that do all season duty and perform much better.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:07 AM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewie
Your tires are shot after only 13k miles???
Knowing that everyone has different driving habits, approximately how long should the stock tires last?

Based on some threads I have seen this board,, I should probably qualify average as non-agressive driving, i.e, not racing Volvos or BMW's off the line, well maybe only once or twice a month ....

Seriously, though: 20K, 25K, more??
Old 01-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

My wife's 2002 3.2TL has the original stock Michelins on it. She has about 25,000 miles and I will need to replace them in the spring as I feel they are getting kinda low. Maybe they are at 5/32? She does local driving - no fast starts etc. Just very light driving. 60-65mph if ever on the highway.

So maybe 30k by the time I swap them out. Not sure if that is good or not.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

To Jinen;

You wrote;

"SouthernBoy:
I am sure that I can purchase the Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner at an auto store, but would I also be able to purchase the oil filter there? Does the oil filter need to be changed every time I get an oil change in the car or whenever I feel like it? I usually just take my car to the dealership and have them do the services on the car..."

Yes, most of the common auto parts stores carry the Mobil 1 filters as well as other good brands such as STP and Bosch.

Yes, you should change the filter every time you do an oil change.. especially in light of the fact that the filter on our TL's is pretty small.