Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11 days with the TL, a review with a critical eye

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:49 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
11 days with the TL, a review with a critical eye

I hope Acura_Driver does not mind, but I borrowed his format to discuss the car as it is logically laid out.

My 04TL is 11 days and about 450 miles, SSM/Ebony, AT, w/Navi and 35% tint. Photo album located at (skip first two photos): http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...03&mode=invite

Here is what I think about the car (just remember I am very particular about my cars, and its design):

Performance - Throttle response is good. Car kicks down when provoked (I have limited revs)

Engine – smooth and refined, except when first started, seems rough, and stumbles for first minute or so, like the large cam V-8’s I remember. MPG was 26 for a 200mile rural/highway trip (29MPG for 30 miles straight highway) with ave MPH of 45, since then mostly city and only 18MPG with ave 16MPH, but it is too early to determine fuel mileage.

Transmission – As background, this is my first full time car with an Auto (23 yrs of MT), but I have always driven my wife’s. I agree that with drive-by-wire, the shifts are very smooth and almost seamless. SS mode works fine, but a little slow. I do not like the auto 1-2 shift, but it has gotten me out of trouble as the car is so quite, I do not realize the RPM’s climbing (and without the shifter, I am not as in tune). I do wish that it had a fully auto 4th or 3rd gear selection (not SS) as I have found the transmission to up shift WAY too early, to the point that the engine is lugging when not tipping into the accelerator to a moderate amount. I find this very annoying and creating unnecessary noise and vibration (I hope I can get a chip modification so it does not shift into 4th gear at 30mph and 5th at 40mph or so). This is my biggest complaint of the TL, but remember, I am a Manual Tranny guy and no one else has complained about this!

I do like the fact that the traction control (VSA) does not retard the engine immediately when the tires break loose (I saw this in the Demo units - with modest accel, the tires have chirped slightly)

Handling - I have driven this car on some of my favorite roads and twisties (many country roads with banked turns and the country’s first and oldest parkway), and in one word I will sum it up – Composed. The car is pretty flat in the turns and turns in amazing grip with the all-seasons, much, much more than I would have expected. The car is firm, but not harsh, just the way I like a car to ride.

Tires - The Bridgestone Turanza EL-42’s are a great dry/wet performer for an all-season (but they are new) and while I was considering going to summer rubber in the spring (and back to the EL-42’s in winter) I am not as sure about that now (but on the other hand if these work so great, imagine what a summer tire will do!) Also remember that I have set the tire pressures (cold) to 35psi front, and 32psi rear, as recommended in the owner’s manual for the MT version (with all seasons) so this may help response a bit but a little harder ride. Also the tires are not noisy, but are one of the few things you hear (I have spent just as much time with the radio off as on to listen to the car), but I just came off max performance tires that were at the end of their life and noisy.

Audio - It is the best factory audio system I've heard, with Bose and Harman Kardon systems in other cars, all who have heard it are quite impressed. 5.1 DVD-A discs sound great, but are limited by the engineer who mixed them to DVD-A (some do a great job of separation, others, not so great. CD's sound very good also as do tapes (no flaming about tapes please). Agreed it would be nice to have an AUX input. I do think that the system is not loud enough (although it is distortion free), but I had the same complaint on my Nissan/bose system.

As for XM, the quality is very good on some channels and not so great on others. As for the rock stations, they are not quite as good as I would like, and prefer a local station over them for mix of music. Also on my very first road trip, I noticed that it drops out more than I would like when there isn't a clear view to the sky such as on tree lined roads (very prevalent in my area) and under long overpasses and in garages. I am not sure if I will continue the service after the three months is up as I am not fond of paying for services that should be free (including cable!).

Navigation - I was not going to get Navi, but after seeing the first photos in autoweek without the navi, I said, the interior is too nice not to have it and opted in. Very happy that I did and would not go back. The best part is the voice commands, touch screen and extra features on screen for the audio. Almost forgot, you can also ask it the time in case you can't look (a favorite amongst kids)

Interior - The interior is perfect and well laid out (except the storage compartments under the radio head end and the almost impossible to plug into 12V adaptor in the lower compartment for the valentine one). I have been in new and old 7 series, 5’s M3’s, E500’s, A6’s, and A4’s and this rivals the best of them. Touch and tactile feel is great, a lot attention was given to this. I agree on the map pockets, the motion is not smooth and feels cheep and I will never use the sunglass holders (I already remove the one on the pass side to fit a CD holder in it. Outward visibility is acceptable, with the front pillars creating a slight blind spot (not as bad as the back) due to the angle, but visibility is still better than in many cars. I do wish the center console had a wire pass through to the outside though. Also, the sun visors do not operate smoothly. Front Seats are firm but comfortable, rears are a lot softer. I do wish the drivers seat went even lower. One other thing, the head liner is really nice, I really like the almost gel feel to it when you push on it with your finger, they must have used a really good, dense foam backer.

Exterior styling – It is sharp, and right on target. Agreed that it is aggressive, but not overly. I washed the car for the first time and it gives you a greater appreciation of the fit and finish on the car and the overall design. My least favorite part is from bumper down, as I am not crazy about the Pontiac type appearance (even with the front plate on) and the lower chin spoiler to bottom breathe the radiator (due to the missing center lower opening). I have already bottomed out the chin spoiler in a gas station driveway and a house driveway. I also wish the lower grils were the old honeycomb style. would look more sport than the verticle lines.

Trunk - The size is fine and I like the fact that the cargo nets are flexible in the mounting position (but hard to figure out because of this). The hidden trunk hinges as in the new 7 series is good also.

Bluetooth - No comment yet as I do not have a bluetooth enabled phone (waiting for the Moto V600 if reasonable)

Problems - I have had a few (but I am picky) and will have the dealer repair:

1. Headliner on drivers side is in contact with windshield so it clicks over bumps (fixed with foam)
2. Drivers door leather was not tucked in near aluminum trim, reinserted it.
3. Steering wheel is off to right, car tracks straight, wheel needs adjustment.
4. Parking brake is out of adjustment.
5. Outside temperature reading in MID is about 8 degrees high (even after driving)
6. Driver’s window vibrates at top when fully closed (if down slightly, it is ok).
7. About 8 paint defects (small, very small imperfections, such as particles or dust under clear coat).

Others thoughts – I did bring the car to Lime Rock Park in CT to see the Bush North Series along with SCCA races and an import series. I know one of the drivers and drove into the paddock area afterwards and all the drivers came over to check it out, words like BMW like, Audi like, better than MB, and the interior is nicer than my RS6 etc flew around, they all thought it was a great car and were quite impressed. Friend’s, family and others were equally impressed with the style and finish of the car.

Conclusion – The overall package is impressive, Acura did a fine job with the TL and TSX, it refined and sporty. Until the TSX came out, and now the TL, I would not have looked at Acura as seriously (though I did like the TL-S of old but was a little long for me). It is great to drive and own. Would I want more..., yes..., but am I happy with it as is, YES also. Even if I could get a full refund, I would not turn it back in. There is nothing like it on the road at any cost! Looking forward to many years of enjoyment with it.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for a great review. I found in your write-up a lot of details that only an owner of the car could provide, as they're relating to day-to-day driving in the car.
Glad to hear that you haven't got any problem with the engine and transmission.
BTW, I clicked on the URL to get to your album but got an error. Maybe something to do with ImageStation itself.
Questions:
1) when you drive at night and use the mirror on the visor, do you see your face at all? The reason I'm asking is because the
mirror cover blocks the light when you open the mirror up.
2) did you find the 2 storage bins in front of the shifter useful at all?
3) does the TL have tire-pressure monitor?
4) does your car have backup sensor installed? If so, do you find this option useful?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:19 AM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by lamster
Thanks for a great review. I found in your write-up a lot of details that only an owner of the car could provide, as they're relating to day-to-day driving in the car.
Glad to hear that you haven't got any problem with the engine and transmission.
BTW, I clicked on the URL to get to your album but got an error. Maybe something to do with ImageStation itself.
Questions:
1) when you drive at night and use the mirror on the visor, do you see your face at all? The reason I'm asking is because the
mirror cover blocks the light when you open the mirror up.
2) did you find the 2 storage bins in front of the shifter useful at all?
3) does the TL have tire-pressure monitor?
4) does your car have backup sensor installed? If so, do you find this option useful?
Thanks, I forgot that the link gets shortened sometimes, causing the error, it was fixed in the message above, and I am repeating it here : http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...03&mode=invite

In answer to your questions :

1 - the visor mirror works fine and your face lights well, actually, it may have been designed to give the indirect light so as not to wash out the mirror image, and give a softer appearance to your face, it works well.

2 - I have not found a use for the storage bins below the radio, sunglass case is too long to fit there.

3 - No TPM It should have had it!

4 - No back up sensor, I personally do not like the look, nor feel the need for this car, but then again, I have never parked by feel

Thanks for reading my post and asking questions.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Nice post Need4spd. One comment. The owner's manual makes reference to the rough engine when you first start it. It states this is becasue the engine computer is calulating the lowest possible output of emissions at startup, and adjusting the engine accordingly. So depending on conditions, you may get this rough running engine scenario when you first start the car. It's normal, and part of being ULEV compliant.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Its funny you mentioned the problem with the driver's door. My 2003 Accord has that EXACT same problem. When the window is fully closed, it rattles, and sounds almost like grinding. Lower it a *hair*, and its fine. If I don't trade for the TL, I HAVE to get this fixed. Little noises drive me crazy.

EVERY Honda (all Accords) I have owned always had some problem wth the driver's side door and/or window. Weird...I've almost come to expect it now.

Ryan
Old 10-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
storage compartments

In those little compartments...

In the top one I keep a box of mints, and my work badge which I can close to hide the badge.

In the lower one, it's always open due to radar detector plugged in, I throw my cellphone. I have a Nokia 8260, small, and it fits right in there on the no slip rubber grip. match made in heaven. Of cource once I get a bluetooth it will live in the center console where it can stay on charge.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:53 AM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by Rock Dog
Nice post Need4spd. One comment. The owner's manual makes reference to the rough engine when you first start it. It states this is becasue the engine computer is calulating the lowest possible output of emissions at startup, and adjusting the engine accordingly. So depending on conditions, you may get this rough running engine scenario when you first start the car. It's normal, and part of being ULEV compliant.
Thanks Rock Dog (and congrats on your car), I do remember reading this (and a million other things) the first day I got the car (yes, I did read the manual that first/day night, had to, it is the engineer in me). Thanks for reminding me of this! If I recall correctly, it does also state that the engine may take longer or shorter times than normal to start, it said this was normal also. I have seen this a few times already.

good luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 04:40 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need4spd,

There have been many complaints about the quality of the seat leather... that the driver seat gets wrinkled and bunched up.

Can you comment on the status of your seat?

Also, what is the deal with the cut-out-circle on the right-front bumber (facing the front of the car)?

Jon
Old 10-22-2003, 04:58 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Need4spd,

There have been many complaints about the quality of the seat leather... that the driver seat gets wrinkled and bunched up.

Can you comment on the status of your seat?

Also, what is the deal with the cut-out-circle on the right-front bumber (facing the front of the car)?

Jon
Jon, thanks for asking.

My seat is ok so far, the bottom cushion has a butt print when I first get off it, but after a while it goes away, sides are not wrinkled as posted by others.

The circle is to mount a tow hook to the front of the car if you were to pull it from anouther car (so you do not hook to the alluminum frame underneath). All BMW's, Audi's. VW's and MB's have this, but it is a square and is on the front and rear (Acura is only in front).
Old 10-22-2003, 05:06 PM
CEO of IMHO

Need4Speed,

Thanks for the speedy answers... I needed them.

Your 'review' is very encouraging. As a prospective buyer, I am reading like a crazy-man... and get easily bummed out by some characterizations that the new TL is flimsily built, they cut too many corners, and it's not worth the $$.

Your review seems right on the mark... and I'm inching closer.

Just waiting to test drive a 6MT/NAV!

Jon
Old 10-25-2003, 12:00 AM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Need4Speed,

Thanks for the speedy answers... I needed them.

Your 'review' is very encouraging. As a prospective buyer, I am reading like a crazy-man... and get easily bummed out by some characterizations that the new TL is flimsily built, they cut too many corners, and it's not worth the $$.

Your review seems right on the mark... and I'm inching closer.

Just waiting to test drive a 6MT/NAV!

Jon
Jon, thanks for reading the review. Everyone has this car under the maginfying glass, and it is bound to show some items, any car will with this type of review.

Even the mighty BMW has its problems, we have had a 5 and 7, and my wife's family has the new 7 and a M3, there are many defects in those cars. The 7 with less than 5k miles on it has many worn interior parts (finsh wears off plastic parts) and other fit/finish issues. The interior panels to exterior metal trim is a lint magnet and shows all the dark lint from clothes on it, that is NOT removable (bummer). Many other mechanical issues and high maintance costs.

Without this board (and others) no one would know of the early production glitches, but they are minor from what I can see. My car is only a few numbers less then 10 (vin) from anouther persons, and they have not seen what I have, either I am picky, or they are differnt.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Happy with my STi!

You should always check the paint of Acuras... I made the mistake of not checking it and now I have an ugly crap on the side and its way toooo long to fix it.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Racer

need4speed, nice review. I find the 2 storage compartments in the center console not to be very useful. I think the car should have more cabiin storage in general. Pouches in front of all the seats by one's calves for instance. A larger glove compartment. Larger door storage areas and the eyeglass holders don't function very well either. The rear arm rest could have an internal storage bin.

I find the trunk lid a bit flimsy.

I had a rattle in the dash that was fixed.

Other than these points, I think the car is terrific.

Ride, handling, sportiness, fun factor of driving, comfort of seats, toys- my fav is the best sound system in the universe- to come from the factory.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome review... it's refreshing to read a very objective review from a new '04 TL owner..

Congrats on the car!
Old 11-15-2003, 11:48 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by gregory28
need4speed, nice review. I find the 2 storage compartments in the center console not to be very useful. I think the car should have more cabiin storage in general. Pouches in front of all the seats by one's calves for instance. A larger glove compartment. Larger door storage areas and the eyeglass holders don't function very well either. The rear arm rest could have an internal storage bin.

I find the trunk lid a bit flimsy.

I had a rattle in the dash that was fixed.

Other than these points, I think the car is terrific.

Ride, handling, sportiness, fun factor of driving, comfort of seats, toys- my fav is the best sound system in the universe- to come from the factory.
Gregory28 - After 5 weeks with the car, I agree with your your comments (except the trunk lid), but it is what it is, maybe durring the refresh in 06 they will work on our points.

Good luck and congrats!

PeterUbers - Thanks I appreciate your comments.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Pro

Re: 11 days with the TL, a review with a critical eye

Originally posted by need4spd
As for XM, the quality is very good on some channels and not so great on others. As for the rock stations, they are not quite as good as I would like, and prefer a local station over them for mix of music. Also on my very first road trip, I noticed that it drops out more than I would like when there isn't a clear view to the sky such as on tree lined roads (very prevalent in my area) and under long overpasses and in garages. I am not sure if I will continue the service after the three months is up as I am not fond of paying for services that should be free (including cable!).
I have experienced just about NO dropouts on XM at all, unless you are getting gas depeneding on what direction you are facing... We also have a lot of tree lined streets with fall foliage going on right now, but still no problems...

I think the audio sound is different on different channels because that is what it warrants.. softer for light Jazz harder for Rock or Pop... same as FM stations.... Howeverm FM stations sound VERY VERY muddy compared with XM.. XM seems VERY clear and crisp and not over driving like these FM stations.

As far as the mix of music, I don't have ANY station here that comes close to the music mix and variety of XM... in fact, most are just playing commercials all the time anyway compared with XMs limited or no commercials...

And as far as paying for it, XM spent a lot of money tolaunch the service and only charges 9.99, a lot less than my cable TV cable modem and just about everything else I have a subscription for... I don't think it is "supposed" to be free... it is a company that launched a service, not the government, and it is one of the main reasons I took the TL over a few other cars.

Just my .02.