3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

+1 For The Tl!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
never did anything stupid like that when i was 16.... i also didnt have a nice car like a TL when i was 16. something tells me you'll probably do it again and it's probably in your best interests not to post about it on acurazine
Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Even tho what this kid did was stupid its hard to blame him...he's 16 what'd you expect?! The responsibility is on his parents IMO for letting him have anything more than 150hp! I had a good friend in hs with an m3 and he thought the car was invincible...he drove it into a tree when we were juniors...he died. Moral of the story: he had no business driving that car but his parents let him.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
More speed needed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All i can say is that a 16 year old will do stupid shit (like i have) but you have to put a little thinking into it. Emotion is the enemy of rational thinking. When i used to speed (before i got my ticket) it was only on almost empty roads when no one is out, and ONLY on a dry road. NEVER on wet roads. Think first, then act.

And to those saying he shouldn't have a powerful car- I have used the power many a time to get myself out of shit. It is VERY helpful to have a powerful engine that responds as opposed to have a V4 and getting smashed into the wall of the freeway.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my first car was a 97' mercury villager, just to let u guys know LOL...going from that to a tl-s doesnt come so often
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by XxAfG786xX
my first car was a 97' mercury villager, just to let u guys know LOL...going from that to a tl-s doesnt come so often
I came from an 89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 3.1L V6... 150 BHP [it has MOST LIKELY lost A LOT of HP over the span of years]. =]
The car was probably one of the most dangerous cars driving on the road... since it's mechanical and structural integrity of the car was in bad shape.
All but one seat belt did not work [only the driver's worked].. no airbags.. doors do not lock properly.. big alignment issue.. only DRLs in headlight worked.. brakes were not the greatest.. I can still go on =]
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by cgrado
All i can say is that a 16 year old will do stupid shit (like i have) but you have to put a little thinking into it. Emotion is the enemy of rational thinking. When i used to speed (before i got my ticket) it was only on almost empty roads when no one is out, and ONLY on a dry road. NEVER on wet roads. Think first, then act.

And to those saying he shouldn't have a powerful car- I have used the power many a time to get myself out of shit. It is VERY helpful to have a powerful engine that responds as opposed to have a V4 and getting smashed into the wall of the freeway.
Use the other pedal.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I came from an 89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 3.1L V6... 150 BHP [it has MOST LIKELY lost A LOT of HP over the span of years]. =]
The car was probably one of the most dangerous cars driving on the road... since it's mechanical and structural integrity of the car was in bad shape.
All but one seat belt did not work [only the driver's worked].. no airbags.. doors do not lock properly.. big alignment issue.. only DRLs in headlight worked.. brakes were not the greatest.. I can still go on =]
nice lol
Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

i got flamed to crisp, i do realize i put that minivan in danger (one of the reasons i had to put this on the forums, i have a thing where i have a need to confess or else the guilt would just kill me) 2 days later i go back and read my first post and feel that yea i am a fuckin retard, i'm guessin it was my ego that ticked me off i thought of it as disrespect when that kid was fuckin around with me, as many of you said age maturity and driving skill should have been considered, i'm going to assume that all three played a factor in my turn of events....this was the first time i ever raced my TL as hard as i did, usually i'll just break into 80 and stop because on those other days i know my limitations, the car's limitations, and my driving abilities. I'm sorry for all the kids my age whose parents have read this and won't decide to get them a TL, i want to clear up that what car you get shouldn't matter IMO because i coulda lost control in a civic doin the same stupid shit and i may not have been as lucky...1 day after i posted my original thread i read in the news a kid died doing the same thing i did , and i have considered the what would happen if i crashed and i killed some one and my self ; how it would effect my parents and family ; and i usually just blew it off after thinking about the gravity of the effect assuming that I would never do shit like that and it hit me even deeper the same afternoon i lost control that that minivan could've had my younger cousins and younger family members that all look up to me (i am the oldest in my generation) and from that night on i vowed never to let my emotions get the best of me as they did earlier that day....I feel as though i owe all the people on this forum an apology for my actions so my sincerest of them to you all
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

It's great to hear that you can say that much, though!
True, that the same thing could have happened in another car---that's why I didn't really like the sound of hearing/reading "+1 for the TL".
I don't think you need to apologize---unless we were on that road at the same time.
Try not to let things get to you so easily and drive more safe. You should be good to go
Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 AM
1 quarter mile at a time

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I quickly read the other posts. Someone also said that the driver's experience/skill also comes into play in situations such as these and that's very true.
If you don't know how to handle such random occurances [did I spell that right?] there is a chance you will end up in an accident, minor or not.
Luckily [and not luckily] for me, Montreal is full of terrible drivers... so theres always things happening and things to look out for.

I also forgot to mention, even without passengers in my car... I still havn't engaged in a race up to date. I have too much respect for myself, my car and my surroundings.
Luckily for me, I was able to learn everything I knew from a very good [yet bad, due to it's age and lack of safety features] family car that is older than I am..
lucky for me, i knew what to do when my car started skidding on the grass, my dad told me never to hit the breaks when you start skidding, but to let it roll and steer it...and thats exactly what i did, it was breaking to swerve back into my lane which caused my initial skid and then i had a realization that the car infact was skidding so i let it roll back onto the road
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ni$h21
i got flamed to crisp, i do realize i put that minivan in danger (one of the reasons i had to put this on the forums, i have a thing where i have a need to confess or else the guilt would just kill me) 2 days later i go back and read my first post and feel that yea i am a fuckin retard, i'm guessin it was my ego that ticked me off i thought of it as disrespect when that kid was fuckin around with me, as many of you said age maturity and driving skill should have been considered, i'm going to assume that all three played a factor in my turn of events....this was the first time i ever raced my TL as hard as i did, usually i'll just break into 80 and stop because on those other days i know my limitations, the car's limitations, and my driving abilities. I'm sorry for all the kids my age whose parents have read this and won't decide to get them a TL, i want to clear up that what car you get shouldn't matter IMO because i coulda lost control in a civic doin the same stupid shit and i may not have been as lucky...1 day after i posted my original thread i read in the news a kid died doing the same thing i did , and i have considered the what would happen if i crashed and i killed some one and my self ; how it would effect my parents and family ; and i usually just blew it off after thinking about the gravity of the effect assuming that I would never do shit like that and it hit me even deeper the same afternoon i lost control that that minivan could've had my younger cousins and younger family members that all look up to me (i am the oldest in my generation) and from that night on i vowed never to let my emotions get the best of me as they did earlier that day....I feel as though i owe all the people on this forum an apology for my actions so my sincerest of them to you all
That's a nice post Ni$h21.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by Ni$h21
lucky for me, i knew what to do when my car started skidding on the grass, my dad told me never to hit the breaks when you start skidding, but to let it roll and steer it...and thats exactly what i did, it was breaking to swerve back into my lane which caused my initial skid and then i had a realization that the car infact was skidding so i let it roll back onto the road
It's good to know you knew how to handle the car.
The experience that happened is a good lesson.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced

don't ruin other young drivers' rep in a TL
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

Originally Posted by TLingham
That's a nice post Ni$h21.

I'm glad he learned his lesson. Whoever taught him how to drive prolly didnt tell him how to be considerate of other drivers on the road...they just taught him how to drive. Thats how I learned at 16. It took about 6 speeding tickets for me to finally stop speeding all the damn time...lol. Sad but true.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
TL-S BeASt

Originally Posted by csmeance
I disagree. Age is not a factor, maturity is. I have lent my TL and MDX to my cousin who is 16 to go on a date or two or to go hang out with friends. I also ride with him or my older bro does. Hes a good driver and understands the value of a car. He floors it very few times (when merging on the high-way), but otherwise he drives like an adult. The problem is that most teens believe life is a game with a reset button, they drive wildly for the thrill of driving fast. It takes a mature person to realize, hey, I'm just wasting my own money, paying 4 dollars a gallon for gas, and putting myself and others into danger. Most teens do not realize this, there is a small percentage that does realize this like my cousin.
I have to agree with this post........but at the same time let's not act like we never did anything stupid at the age of 16.....I've always been pretty mature since a young age, but I still managed to do dumb things which got me in trouble and may have put others in danger....at least he has the ballz to admit it and move forward. What about the 85 yr old lady swirving into your lane(jk)?.....
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Fyre Man
If someone chucked a banana peel at your TL, I doubt you'd be happy.

You'd be surprised at how many people have "fully developed" at 16, emotionally. I've got a 16 year old buddy who got a Ridgeline for his 16th, and I was talking to him a while ago. He told me he was confident in his driving ability, but he's taking the best driving course around before even touching the car by himself. He said he had never driven on any busy roads, and always with his mom or dad. He wants to get a feel for the car and how it reacts before taking it to wherever he wants. IMO, thats maturity.

NOT being mature would be flooring it at every light, bragging about speeding tickets, and pink slips, street racing, being overly confident in your or the car's abilities.

I first drove when I was 14, an old Cavalier that my mom let me back out of our spot in the garage. I was scared shitless that day and took about 10 minutes to get out of the spot, just because i was so scared. I've since been allowed to park the car every time we come home, and my mom has continually complimented me on my parking. I'm confident in my parking skills. Do I think I'm king of the world? no. Do i think I am a better driver than my mom? no. Will I take the car out for a 3 hour drive as soon as I get my license? Well, yes, but only with my mom beside me, giving pointers and such. I KNOW I'm not an experienced driver. I KNOW I wouldn't be ready to handle an emergency situation until I pass a certified safety course, no matter what the DMV or Ministry of Transportation says. I will NEVER take on anyone in a race, whether it be a midnight street race or a "flyby". I want to learn the limits of my car, but it's not fair to do it at the risk of those around me. If that's not mature, I'm not sure what is.
Go back and re-read my post. Did I not use large enough fonts for the word "AVERAGE"???

(Hint: it's in front of "16")
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my first car was a toyota corolla...lucky fool! hahaha DRIVE CAREFULLY MOTHA' FU...lol