Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

+1 For The Tl!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 For The Tl!!!

I don't know whether it was the traction control or if it was god, but today was another one of those wet days, and I was some what pissed off because some kid threw a banana peel at my car and I beating his ass would've been pointless (plus i was some what out numbered) so i left school and on the way home i decided to blow off some steam, on the road to my home there is a long stretch of road where i usually push the engine to the fastest i can get it, so I decided to do that again today, only this time was different....the road curves and i usually just slow down and take the curve doing 60, today I didn't really slow down and i took the curve doing 80 I veered into the on coming lane in which was a Honda Odyssey, so I swerved back into my lane while apply the breaks, and the swerve was just a little bit too much, I went into the grass on the side of the road and the car was at a 45 degree angle to the road, all four tires were on the grass...within the blink of an eye i was back on the road with a higher heart rate and a WTF did i just do feeling on me.....I have to say, if it was the traction that did the work then I'm very very impressed because usually when shit like that happens you're not supposed to be able to regain control of your vehicle....(i know im a dumbass for speeding on wet roads and i swear to god i'll never try stupid shit like that again)
Old 03-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
glad your okay man ... tl does handle pretty well
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
This is why 16 year olds aren't quite ready to drive.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:13 AM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
i started driving when i was 16 but never did something like that... ever...
Old 03-08-2008, 07:04 AM
2006 Acura TL

Originally Posted by Ni$h21
I don't know whether it was the traction control or if it was god, but today was another one of those wet days, and I was some what pissed off because some kid threw a banana peel at my car and I beating his ass would've been pointless (plus i was some what out numbered) so i left school and on the way home i decided to blow off some steam, on the road to my home there is a long stretch of road where i usually push the engine to the fastest i can get it, so I decided to do that again today, only this time was different....the road curves and i usually just slow down and take the curve doing 60, today I didn't really slow down and i took the curve doing 80 I veered into the on coming lane in which was a Honda Odyssey, so I swerved back into my lane while apply the breaks, and the swerve was just a little bit too much, I went into the grass on the side of the road and the car was at a 45 degree angle to the road, all four tires were on the grass...within the blink of an eye i was back on the road with a higher heart rate and a WTF did i just do feeling on me.....I have to say, if it was the traction that did the work then I'm very very impressed because usually when shit like that happens you're not supposed to be able to regain control of your vehicle....(i know im a dumbass for speeding on wet roads and i swear to god i'll never try stupid shit like that again)
That is why when I hear of kids like you being killed for driving stupid, I do not shed a tear. Haven't we had enough? We all know that we aren't race drivers and our cars are not built to be race cars, and yet we still do stupid stuff like that to test the limits or in your case "to blow off steam". Well blowing off steram like like that almost led to death or could have. Next time please think twice before using your car to blow off steam. We don't need another statistic.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
ok before you get flammed even more... I was 16 just 8 years ago... the invincibility complex doesn't leave till you turn 20...

ps. glad the car kept you safe, and glad you didn't hit the odessey, because that would've rocked you hard
Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
ok before you get flammed even more... I was 16 just 8 years ago... the invincibility complex doesn't leave till you turn 20...

ps. glad the car kept you safe, and glad you didn't hit the odessey, because that would've rocked you hard
weren't you 16.... 6 years ago??
Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
weren't you 16.... 6 years ago??
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
(i know im a dumbass for speeding on wet roads and i swear to god i'll never try stupid shit like that again)
People like you make a habit of putting other people's lives in danger...so this wasn't the first time, nor the last for you. Hopefully you never kill an innocent victim to your stupid, selfish driving.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never speed on wet roads, only on dry sticky pavement ...but yea the tl has like the best handling of any sedan!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
+1.

Or at least why parents should not let 16yr olds drive powerful cars that may tempt reckless driving. There was a case in the DC area where a 17yr old girl was driving her parents LS. She had friends in there. She was speeding. The car crashed. A couple of her friends died. They were seniors in HS.

I'm glad you're okay but it's not something I'd brag about in a car forum. Just thank your lucky stars that you're weren't hurt and say to yourself I'll never do something again like that.

Not a sermon just a thought.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

well thats cuz shes a girl with no experience
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by XxAfG786xX
well thats cuz shes a girl with no experience
I'm glad you don't do that playa...you would be fucking up our photoshoot plans!

I don't think people with experience should do that either. In fact, if you have experience behind the wheel, that's what makes a lot of these younguns crash their shit because I can just hear them now saying "I know what I'm doing!" But the truth of the matter is, even if YOU do know what you are doing, you can lose traction in a heartbeat, and no matter what, you can't control how other people on the road will react when you do. Suppose that person in the Odyssey saw dude and panicked? Not cool at all...slow down pa...
Old 03-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
threads w/ stories like this scare the shit out of me....
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 AM
NBP2008Type-S

It almost all depends on the driving conditions of that day. I have actually had my TL Type-S going 135 mph, going south on 85 in NC. The car felt like a machine. Although the wippers don't really clear the windshield at those speeds, the car seems to track perfectly, with no assistance of the VSA. The other day I was going maybe 70mph, and VSA kept kicking in. So it all depends, on the roads and how much rain, and how long it has been raining.

I also don't believe that i will push the car in the rain ever again.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darksom1
I'm glad you don't do that playa...you would be fucking up our photoshoot plans!

I don't think people with experience should do that either. In fact, if you have experience behind the wheel, that's what makes a lot of these younguns crash their shit because I can just hear them now saying "I know what I'm doing!" But the truth of the matter is, even if YOU do know what you are doing, you can lose traction in a heartbeat, and no matter what, you can't control how other people on the road will react when you do. Suppose that person in the Odyssey saw dude and panicked? Not cool at all...slow down pa...
Yea im a smart driver lol, I dont race unless they start it, then all i do is a vtec fly by and im done lol
Old 03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yea im a smart driver lol, I dont race unless they start it, then all i do is a vtec fly by and im done lol
racing on the street regardless of who starts it makes you NOT a smart driver...
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

yea but i dont race, as i said, second gear fly by, and im done
Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NBP2008Type-S
It almost all depends on the driving conditions of that day. I have actually had my TL Type-S going 135 mph, going south on 85 in NC. The car felt like a machine. Although the wippers don't really clear the windshield at those speeds, the car seems to track perfectly, with no assistance of the VSA. The other day I was going maybe 70mph, and VSA kept kicking in. So it all depends, on the roads and how much rain, and how long it has been raining.

Spoken like a true young idiot
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

That was some stupid thing you did where you could of hurt someone or kill someone if you had a head on collision. So did you tell everyone at your school you took the curve at high speed??? I really do not hope you think you are cool.

And you need to get off the road and stop posting stupid shit you do.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

lol u guys are mean
Old 03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

fortunately, nobody got hurt. that's really scary and dangerous. as you get older, you become more cautious and slow down more often.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Yeah, guys can get rough in here on this subject, but with good reason. Some of these people may have lost loved ones to some idiot racing or being careless on the road. Even if they haven't, it is still the type of subject that makes you cringe.

Because AZ covers a wide area, I would think that anyone of us would be upset if someone we knew, or didn't know even, got killed by a reckless driver, and the culprit was someone who is a member here telling his story about an "incident that happened to him or her on the road one day"...pretty deep...deep indeed...
Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
....(i know im a dumbass for speeding on wet roads and i swear to god i'll never try stupid shit like that again)

Good for you.

You were able to "live and learn". Put it to good use and move on.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by oOLaDYBuGGOo
I disagree. Age is not a factor, maturity is. I have lent my TL and MDX to my cousin who is 16 to go on a date or two or to go hang out with friends. I also ride with him or my older bro does. Hes a good driver and understands the value of a car. He floors it very few times (when merging on the high-way), but otherwise he drives like an adult. The problem is that most teens believe life is a game with a reset button, they drive wildly for the thrill of driving fast. It takes a mature person to realize, hey, I'm just wasting my own money, paying 4 dollars a gallon for gas, and putting myself and others into danger. Most teens do not realize this, there is a small percentage that does realize this like my cousin.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
After hearing this statement, do this following:
1. Take personal Items out of TL
2. Take keys and give them to your parents
3. Have parents trade in the TL for money to pay of the loan.
4. Ride a bike to school

Teens such as yourself cause people to get hurt. You must realzie that you not only put yourself in danger, but others too. A friend of mine, Vinny, was killed due to idiots like you.

He was on the home from the DMV in his NSX with his son, he had just gotten his permit. Two other kids were racing their civics on the other side of the road when one lost control and hit their car HEAD ON. His son died, and he was in the hospital for a month. Imagine the pain your parents would have if you were dead. DON'T GIVE THAT PAIN TO ANY PARENT. Be smart. If you want to drive, be responsible. You know the limits of you car, you do not need to show anyone up. I have been there, its not worth it. If you do want to race, limit it to the track, there is no point in putting others in danger.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by csmeance
After hearing this statement, do this following:
1. Take personal Items out of TL
2. Take keys and give them to your parents
3. Have parents trade in the TL for money to pay of the loan.
4. Ride a bike to school

Teens such as yourself cause people to get hurt. You must realzie that you not only put yourself in danger, but others too. A friend of mine, Vinny, was killed due to idiots like you.

He was on the home from the DMV in his NSX with his son, he had just gotten his permit. Two other kids were racing their civics on the other side of the road when one lost control and hit their car HEAD ON. His son died, and he was in the hospital for a month. Imagine the pain your parents would have if you were dead. DON'T GIVE THAT PAIN TO ANY PARENT. Be smart. If you want to drive, be responsible. You know the limits of you car, you do not need to show anyone up. I have been there, its not worth it. If you do want to race, limit it to the track, there is no point in putting others in danger.
Even though i got a clean driving record and the car being mine, im not that stupid...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Even though i got a clean driving record and the car being mine, im not that stupid...
Way to roll young gunner!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Ni$h21. I'm glad you are Ok. I hope you will think about that Honda Odyssey for a long time. As school had just gotten out, that van was probably carrying a mom and her kids or even a car pool. Think what would have happened to them had you hit that van head on. Imagine your not being hurt because of the airbags in your car but some of those kids being in the ICU. Imagine going to visit them and seeing small kids on a respirator and with tubes stuck all in them. Imagine the kids not fully recovering.

You may have just learned a valuable lesson that will prevent you from being involved in a horror story like this.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

yea man im sorry but that is really immature... im not gonna lie but i speed but its maybe 5-10 over depending on the conditions.... but flooring it on a rainny day with a curve just has a deathwish written all over it.... i am 16 as well but think of the others on the road as well.. keep safe and just be careful, we learn from our mistakes.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 PM
aTLien

Originally Posted by Soccer_playa1579
yea man im sorry but that is really immature... im not gonna lie but i speed but its maybe 5-10 over depending on the conditions.
im 16 also and i have a hard time believing that... i hope your not trying to impress any of the older guys here cause im pretty sure everyone goes more than 5-10 over the speed limit many many MANY times

i understand you flooring it to blow off steam, im pretty sure we all have done it... just be safe bro, personally i dont think i could live with ruining a nice car... take good care of your car man. you dont want to wreck a 30k$+ car. esp when we're 16

anyways be safe on the road bro!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jumbosizeme79
im 16 also and i have a hard time believing that... i hope your not trying to impress any of the older guys here cause im pretty sure everyone goes 5-10 over the speed limit...

i understand you flooring it to blow off steam, im pretty sure we all have done it... just be safe bro, personally i dont think i could live with ruining a nice car... take good care of your car man. you dont want to wreck a 30k$+ car. esp when we're 16

anyways be safe on the road bro!
off topic question, what kind of dome lights do you have? they seem bright for red
Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

nooo im not tryin to impress anybody.. but i usually dont speed like i use to.. like i said "we learn from out mistakes." Ive made my mistakes with a ticket and cant afford to get another 1.. insurance is expensive and its just another hassle of going to court and all that.... dallas is super strict soo its best to take it easy with speeding excessively...
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Age is not a factor, maturity is. Hes a good driver and understands the value of a car. ...there is a small percentage that does realize this like my cousin.
i also drove "like an adult" with my family in the car. have you witnessed his driving when its just him and a bunch of his teenage friends in the car? pressure from friends during teenage years is a powerful thing. yes, maturity is an invaluable virtue to have when driving, but experience behind the wheel is also priceless. My sister had been driving beautifully her first year, always doing everything perfectly. But one day a squirrel ran in front of her car and she panicked and went off the road to miss it (totaling the car, ouch). new, unexpected situations like that take time to unfold and teach a driver full road maturity...but hopefully without an accident. sounds like your cousin is already on the right track though.

........anyway, did you clean off any mess the banana peel left?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you admitted to being a 'dumbass' for speeding on wet roads. And I do hope you take your word for not doing anything like that again.
But please keep in mind that it doesn't always come down to the car.
I'm a little worried with your thread title as "+1 For The Tl!!!". It's simple ideas like this that make us believe we can drive a certain way---and the car will handle itself out.
But again you stated you 'swore to god' you won't do anything stupid like this again... and again I hope you keep your word on that.

It's a simple fact that everyone knows. Anything can happen within a blink of an eye. Like this morning, for example, I wasn't even going fast today. I took my time, since there was a lot of snow and I still have Summer tires on [very dangerous and I'm STILL in the process of looking for winters]. I was driving at about 35KM/H [not miles]... and when I was braking to slow down.. the ABS kicked in. My brakes kept making that crunching noise and feel behind the brakes... car started to slide-struggling to gain traction. There was a red accord ahead of me as well... I was just lucky enough that at the speeds I was going I was able to steer to the right lane [after checking blindspots] and successfully stopped half a car ahead, to the right, of the red accord. As you see, the VSA sort of didn't help me. Despite the EBD, ABS and VSA ... I couldn't stop properly thus I had to merge to another lane [mind you I was still sliding].

Also someone here said that age is a factor.. which isn't.
Someone else also said "age is not a factor, maturity is." which is true. But I also think it's about the person's respect for themselves, their car[or who ever's car they are driving] and their passengers in the vehicle.

I could've engaged in a lot of races with the TL... but I always had passengers in the car. The most I would do, if someone tried to race me is to pretend I'll race so they'll go launching like an idiot while I drive normally.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I quickly read the other posts. Someone also said that the driver's experience/skill also comes into play in situations such as these and that's very true.
If you don't know how to handle such random occurances [did I spell that right?] there is a chance you will end up in an accident, minor or not.
Luckily [and not luckily] for me, Montreal is full of terrible drivers... so theres always things happening and things to look out for.

I also forgot to mention, even without passengers in my car... I still havn't engaged in a race up to date. I have too much respect for myself, my car and my surroundings.
Luckily for me, I was able to learn everything I knew from a very good [yet bad, due to it's age and lack of safety features] family car that is older than I am..
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I disagree. Age is not a factor, maturity is. I have lent my TL and MDX to my cousin who is 16 to go on a date or two or to go hang out with friends. I also ride with him or my older bro does. Hes a good driver and understands the value of a car. He floors it very few times (when merging on the high-way), but otherwise he drives like an adult. The problem is that most teens believe life is a game with a reset button, they drive wildly for the thrill of driving fast. It takes a mature person to realize, hey, I'm just wasting my own money, paying 4 dollars a gallon for gas, and putting myself and others into danger. Most teens do not realize this, there is a small percentage that does realize this like my cousin.
Well of course maturity is the main factor and maturity (by definition is "full development") and most (not all) 16 year olds aren't particularly mature. You even said the same in your post. The AVERAGE 16 year old really isn't emotionally ready to pilot two tons of steel on our public roads. I honestly don't think I was at 16.

I mean think about it. A BANANA PEEL thrown at his car tweaked this kid that badly??
Old 03-09-2008, 01:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

LOL @ banana peel...I can see it now "Oh no that mofo didn't just throw a banana peel at my ride!!"

Wow...dude, you almost just got !! (f'ed by a banana)
Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Well of course maturity is the main factor and maturity (by definition is "full development") and most (not all) 16 year olds aren't particularly mature. You even said the same in your post. The AVERAGE 16 year old really isn't emotionally ready to pilot two tons of steel on our public roads. I honestly don't think I was at 16.

I mean think about it. A BANANA PEEL thrown at his car tweaked this kid that badly??
If someone chucked a banana peel at your TL, I doubt you'd be happy.

You'd be surprised at how many people have "fully developed" at 16, emotionally. I've got a 16 year old buddy who got a Ridgeline for his 16th, and I was talking to him a while ago. He told me he was confident in his driving ability, but he's taking the best driving course around before even touching the car by himself. He said he had never driven on any busy roads, and always with his mom or dad. He wants to get a feel for the car and how it reacts before taking it to wherever he wants. IMO, thats maturity.

NOT being mature would be flooring it at every light, bragging about speeding tickets, and pink slips, street racing, being overly confident in your or the car's abilities.

I first drove when I was 14, an old Cavalier that my mom let me back out of our spot in the garage. I was scared shitless that day and took about 10 minutes to get out of the spot, just because i was so scared. I've since been allowed to park the car every time we come home, and my mom has continually complimented me on my parking. I'm confident in my parking skills. Do I think I'm king of the world? no. Do i think I am a better driver than my mom? no. Will I take the car out for a 3 hour drive as soon as I get my license? Well, yes, but only with my mom beside me, giving pointers and such. I KNOW I'm not an experienced driver. I KNOW I wouldn't be ready to handle an emergency situation until I pass a certified safety course, no matter what the DMV or Ministry of Transportation says. I will NEVER take on anyone in a race, whether it be a midnight street race or a "flyby". I want to learn the limits of my car, but it's not fair to do it at the risk of those around me. If that's not mature, I'm not sure what is.