3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 month 1200 mile review (Yet another long user review!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
1 month 1200 mile review (Yet another long user review!)

Since I figured everyone is a critic, I'd put in my 1 month 1200 mile review for my 2005 TL 6MT/non-Nav/NBP/Camel. Most of these have been covered before but I figured for any newbie's out there that may be interested.

Build Quality:
Excellent, not sure if the planets were aligned or the quality folks in Ohio have got their six-sigma graphs in order but my TL has been rattle/creak/butt-print/flatspot/driveline vibration free.

Material Quality:
Great, although you can look over the car alot in the showroom it takes some time to observe the details. Two untypical details that caught my attention are the interior door opener (nicely finished and sculpted) and the matt black screen that covers the dash over the driver and center (great for reducing dash glare reflection). The front license plate frame seems out of place for a $33K car however.

Interior:
Great, good layout with typical Honda switch actuation with nice detents and tactile feel. Even though it's a non-Nav the center stackup for HVAC/Stereo is well laidout, functional and easy to use. The stereo system is awesome, excellent audio clarity and sound quality even with regular CD's and FM/XM.

My only minor gripe is the instrument tunnels are spaced a little too far apart. When gripping the steering wheel at 2 and 10 oclock positions my hand blocks the left side of the tach (0-3K RPM range). Since I have a 6MT, I like to use the tach to read the rev's when starting off from a stop to modulate the clutch and throttle so it makes that more difficult (also the engine is very quiet with little vibration at those rev's). Even though the wood is fake it looks great along with the aluminum trim. At night the instrumentation and controls look even better illuminated, even the truck release switch is backlit!

Exterior:
I love the all angles, curves and lines of this car, enough said. The only minor drawback to all this great style is fair rear visibility especially to the left rear and right rear. The thick middle and rear pillars hinder visibility. Although the rear window is large it is also highly raked so the vertical height is limited and the rear headrests block some more visibility. Nothing dramatic here but I always double check when lane changing in heavy Baltimore/DC traffic.

Driving impressions:
Most of my driving has been mixed suburbean driving. Mileage has been 23-24MPG overall with 29-31 on the highway. I've driven some in the recent snow in MD, I drive conservatively in snow/ice and had no problems with the TL turning, stopping, or going. The EL42's are semi-adequate in dry/wet/snow but will definitely not be my choice for replacement (probably Avon or Dunlop).

The Brembo front brakes are great, nice modulation control and feel. The 3.2L V6 is also equally impressive, some may want more but I'm more than pleased with the power, torque, and response. The 6MT is easy to use with good feel and positive changes (the electric lockout for reverse gear is comforting when shifting fast from 5-6 gear).

The clutch is a different story, I've been driving manuals for 20+ years and this is one of the more difficult clutches to get used to. I think I have stalled more in the past month than the past 10 years added up. It is kind of hard to feel the pickup point through your left foot, it's there but not much. The good news is that every week I've gotten better with it (oddly enough I didn't stall it during my test ride, but was paying more attention then) so now I may have gone a week without stalling once. Some folks have debated the 6MT and 5AT decision, so all I can say is it's a great transxle but does have a steep learning curve clutch-wise.

I'm pleased with the handling and ride, the engineers at Honda have produced a excellent rigid chassis that has great response with good comfort. The choice of springs/shocks/sway bars/bushings is about as good as it gets. The only very minor complaint would be a little more communication from tire to steering wheel feedback. Most of my driving has been commuting but I've taken a few drives through some twisty and windy country roads (in central Maryland) for the heck of it and it's fun to toss and turn this nimble platform. The ride quality is not like a Accord, but for the handling you get it's an excellent compromise.

I'm 6'4" and the driving position is great, with lots of adjustability the steering wheel, pedals, eat and headrest fit almost perfectly. My only minor suggestion would be larger side seat bolsters, when taking a long sweeping turns you tend to slide around a bit.

Summary:
Like someone else said yesterday, it's not a perfect car (which doesn't exist to me) but I'm a very happy camper. Quite pleased with my driving/ownership experience so far.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear you are happy with your car. Great review. Congrats!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for this review...

Those who are wondering what's wrong with their 6MT clutch should read your review... it's very very true....
Old 03-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a TL but test drove a friends as I'm evaluating my next car purchase. His is a '05 Navi, Anthracite. The car felt quite nice driving, the torque steer is promintently noticable.

But I wanted to comment on the clutch having test-driven the G35 the week before and in comparison the TL clutch is just too "light". You almost don't feel like you've pressed it in. I've been driving manual tranny cars for long enough and still stalled about 4 times while drivint the TL. I just never got the hang of starting off smoothly and transitioning into second.

In contrast, the G35's clutch felt better, there was more reponse and finding the "catch-point" was much easier. I never came close to stalling on the G35, and the short shifter was a boon..

My $0.02

Regards
Old 03-10-2005, 03:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The clutch is a different story, I've been driving manuals for 20+ years and this is one of the more difficult clutches to get used to. I think I have stalled more in the past month than the past 10 years added up. It is kind of hard to feel the pickup point through your left foot, it's there but not much. The good news is that every week I've gotten better with it (oddly enough I didn't stall it during my test ride, but was paying more attention then) so now I may have gone a week without stalling once. Some folks have debated the 6MT and 5AT decision, so all I can say is it's a great transxle but does have a steep learning curve clutch-wise.
Great review Legen2TL.

I have to agree with you 100% about the clutch. I never ever stalled out my previous Accord clutches anywhere near the likes of this one, not even close. One bitch is that when it happens, those of us with Navi have to deal with that damn startup screen, something I'm sure you'd be bitching about too... and rightfully so. Acura should have made that software work in a manner whereby the system would bypass that screen if the engine had just stalled.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Great in-depth review. You went into detail on things more than most, thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Racer

Absolutely agree with the clutch comments. I've only stalled twice but the clutch is a challenge compared to the pickup truck I owned years ago. Every other clutch I've test driven was easier to work that the TL. I thought BMW clutches too hard but the TL is too soft. G35 seemed fine on the test drive. Still thought it too ugly to buy and liked everything else about the TL.

I've gotten used to it but still have some trouble when getting fast off the line. Don't have any trouble moving up a few inches to feet in bumper to bumper. Its just when I want to move off the line fast. I feel like I have to lower the stereo volume so I can hear the engine more than feel the engagement point.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:55 PM
04 remembrance

I guess we can use this thread as a guide to the noobs.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Future 07 TLS Team Member

Great review! I'll be picking up mine in the next week or two... and this has me excited all over again.

Although the rear window is large it is also highly raked so the vertical height is limited and the rear headrests block some more visibility.
I love this site for what you can learn... I read a post earlier this week that reminded us that the rear headrests adjust, and suggested that they be put down to avoid this very issue. When I was at the dealer last night, I saw that they can be lowered enough to be a non-factor (guess the convenience of this depends on how often you have passengers back there too...)

Nothing dramatic here but I always double check when lane changing in heavy traffic.
OK... so I have an opinion... it's a little OT... and it's a REALLY STRONG opinion too... so I even hesitated mentioning it... but I just gotta do it. (and Legend2TL this is not personal to you, or intended to disvalue your comments at all) but...

Why do so many people confuse the function/intention of their REAR view mirrors with their SIDE view mirrors???

I'm sorry, but I was a professional driver for a while (and I can also be a bit righteous by nature anyway)... but WTF??

Here's the deal (again in my not-so-humble-opinion):

Whenever I get into someone else's driver seat and I see that the SIDE view mirrors show a view along the side of the car (and thus more rear than side) I just shake my head and don't get it.

I was taught (in driving school no less) that to adjust your SIDE view mirrors you should go to a parking lot and position your vehicle so that there is another vehicle in your BLIND spot(s) and position the mirrors to show you that vehicle in the best way possible.

Now, please don't get me wrong- I'm ALL for the quick-turn-and-double-check when you're not certain or in heavy/changing traffic... but really, if the side view mirrors are positioned properly they make ALL the difference in the world for lane changing and knowing what's going on where you can't see easily out of the back or windows of the vehicle.

Hope that didn't sound too preachy ... just a pet-peeve of mine!
      could ya tell?