Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Type-S Reliability Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbirds11
Type S 6MT WDP = overpay + travel. so get used to it.
The travel issue (assuming it is one) could be resolved by shipping/transport. They offer door to door service and as easy as mailing a package now a days. For me it ended up being a cheaper alternative considering flight, gas, missed pay at work etc.

As far as overpay the "beggars can't be choosers" rule definitley appiles.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Getting Hosed
As an owner of an 08 WDP 6mt ebony/silver TL-S, I can tell you without a doubt that this must be the most rare combination acura manufactured.
As others have stated, be prepared to travel to get the car you want. Also, if you are getting CPO, be ABSOLUTELY certain that the car will pass your state inspection before you take it home, because Acura WILL make you take it back to the dealer who sold you the car to correct any issues it may have. Don't ask me how I know this...
Nope, the rarest color combination is KBP with Ebony/Silver MT then follow MRP Ebony/Silver MT, I saw several MT WDP Ebony/Silver listing for the past months. The problem is OP want it in clean and pristine condition which is hard for a 4 years old used car, but I am sure that if he wait the car will show up eventually.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To OP's questions about the '08 Type S reliability:

I've only had mine for about 1 year ('08 Type S ASM Auto 42,000 miles) but I've had no reliability issues. I followed forum advice and changed out the pressure switches and switched to redline oil but even before then had no issues. If you can afford it, get it CPO'ed and you will get the extended warranty. Mine is under warranty until 2015.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im thinking about selling my 2008 WDP TL-s 6 speed with mods 25,000 miles silver and black interior still under factory warrenty... has aemv2 intake tein ss damper coilovers brand new aspec kit installed last week and 19inch xxr gold rims if your willing to spend $31,000
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^hate to break it to you...mods DO NOT add value to the car no matter how much you spent on the mods. of course i'm assuming you're joking with the OP about selling your car (unless he really had $30k to pay you for it).
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^hate to break it to you...mods DO NOT add value to the car no matter how much you spent on the mods. of course i'm assuming you're joking with the OP about selling your car (unless he really had $30k to pay you for it).
Not joking... Dnt really want to sell it but if somebody wanted it bad enough 31 is my price... Although that has nothing to do with u. The price is based on what I paid and the rarity of the car. I wouldn't sell it for a penny less.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

um, yeah...good luck with that. and you're right, it doesn't have anything to do with me. it's an acura not a limited production ferrari.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Two 3G TL Baller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
Are the autos reliable? I'm fairly convinced I don't want one, but they sure are easier to find and tend to be substantially cheaper.

I'm simply assuming these TL's are still plagued by Honda AT issues. If they're somehow super reliable, I'd be interested if the price was right.

'08 AT TLs are reliable transmission wise (unlike '04s), but may or may not have some electrical problems. Despite this, I'm in the process (CarMax is transferring car from ATL to Vegas) of upgrading from an '04 ABP TL that I've had for 5 years to an '08 NBP Type S with two tone interior (both ATs).

Last edited by The Blue Abyss; 04-05-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: to add more info
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by NYzProtege
im thinking about selling my 2008 WDP TL-s 6 speed with mods 25,000 miles silver and black interior still under factory warrenty... has aemv2 intake tein ss damper coilovers brand new aspec kit installed last week and 19inch xxr gold rims if your willing to spend $31,000
Originally Posted by NYzProtege
Not joking... Dnt really want to sell it but if somebody wanted it bad enough 31 is my price... Although that has nothing to do with u. The price is based on what I paid and the rarity of the car. I wouldn't sell it for a penny less.
If this an official written offer I see?

If OP wants to take you up on this, you are technically making him a written offer and would be obligated to sell for the price you have offered. He would certainly be crazy to pay $31,000 for a 4 year old car though.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

patience...

OP,

If you continue having trouble finding your car (which is likely), you should try having an Acura dealership find one. I have been looking for a 6 speed '07-08 Type S for a few months. I thought I found one but the deal fell through... I finally ended up contacting my local Acura dealership, told them exactly what I wanted, and they found one for me within a few weeks. I paid a little more than I originally planned, but it's certified, one owner from Tampa with 72,000 miles. Granted, I was open to several different colors, but I bet they could find one for you if you gave them time. Just my
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JJH
If this an official written offer I see?

If OP wants to take you up on this, you are technically making him a written offer and would be obligated to sell for the price you have offered. He would certainly be crazy to pay $31,000 for a 4 year old car though.
lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
10th Gear

Its official $31,000 takes it I'm in NY
Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^GLWTS and sorry no thread hijack plz.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Go Pats!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
man i know the TL-S 6 spds is rare but i wouldn't go crazy about it. I mean if the price when compare to a 5 AT vs 6 spds is only a few thousands(2-3k) then sure but in the end it is still a FWD car. U will never have that sporty feel as a RWD or even a level below it which is AWD. The torque steel is still a major issue for these TL's. When talking about a 30k range TL-S that is a little bit hard to swallow maybe that just me for that price range i can bump it up about 5k and get a ISF or a M3. I know ISF doesn't come in manual but I'm more than happy to take a 8 spds auto with over 400 crank HP RWD. Just my two cents.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
It's looking like i'm trying to find a unicorn. I found ONE WDP TL-S with Taupe interior, and it was 5AT. I found a few dozen TL-S 6MT's in great condition, with low miles, some even certified. However, NONE were WDP, most were Ebony/Silver which I do not like at all. Do WDP TL-S's exist? If they do, nobody sells them.

The exterior color is a bit more flexible, but WDP is preferred. 6MT and Taupe interior are mandatory.

I don't care if I have to drive 2,500 miles or have to overpay. The vehicle simply does not exist for me to purchase.

To the guy selling his 'modded' TL for 31K, I would not be interested at 15K. Mods dramatically decrease resale vale, at least to me. I'd only be interested if it was really cheap, and then I would still put it back to stock. Since you messed with the suspension, it would take one hell of a deal for me to bother. It will likely never drive like new.

I'm not looking for a fast car, so the FWD TL is fine. I'm looking for a good daily driver I will enjoy driving. This means reasonable low end torque, fairly quiet, smooth over rough roads, decent fuel economy, classy interior, heated seats, dimming mirrors, NAV, good stock lighting... The 07-08 TL-S just really fits the bill for what I want. The base model just looks too bland, so Type-S it is. I plan on driving it slow.

Last edited by ZOMGVTEK; 04-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

be patient...the 6MT are the hardest to find. keep hunting on cars.com and on other sites. have you tried to see if the local dealer can locate one for you??
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Have a 2007 KBP with Ebony/Silver interior, original owner, 33k. Only issues were one failed battery and gas cap emissions failure code. No other issues. Much success in your search. Awesome automobile
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
OP -

Here's a few -

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2944319513.html

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/2948604241.html - doesn't say if it's AT or 6sp.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
The top one has tint, a bit more miles than I would like, the new clutch is questionable, and the owner wanting to 'lower payments' isnt that exciting. Plus, the interior is more likely the black/silver which I absolutely do not want. Taupe is mandatory. With a car 2,600 miles away, I would want to be damn sure its solid or certified. Not some CL listing thats not cross listed elsewhere, all private party, with an owner that probably is abusive.

Second one is most likely AT, and its the wrong interior color. Interior color is more important than exterior to me, and it looks like 80%+ of the WDP TL-S's are the wrong color.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item2c649a54ee
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonsking91
man i know the TL-S 6 spds is rare but i wouldn't go crazy about it. I mean if the price when compare to a 5 AT vs 6 spds is only a few thousands(2-3k) then sure but in the end it is still a FWD car. U will never have that sporty feel as a RWD or even a level below it which is AWD. The torque steel is still a major issue for these TL's. When talking about a 30k range TL-S that is a little bit hard to swallow maybe that just me for that price range i can bump it up about 5k and get a ISF or a M3. I know ISF doesn't come in manual but I'm more than happy to take a 8 spds auto with over 400 crank HP RWD. Just my two cents.
I apologize in advance for this post as it derails the thread a bit. I'll answer the OP though by saying the reliability is not an issue to be concerned with.

On to my derailing - I continually see the posts about the lack of sportiness with FWD and the torque steer issues when the comparison is drawn on the price point where people say "well you could get an M3 for not much more".

Not saying the issues of FWD/torque steer don't exist because they do - but the reason some of us go crazy over the TL-S 6 speed is because it's a stellar daily driver that provides *enough* performance on the street to be fun to drive while maintaining a level of comfort that few cars seldom see for the price point, plus the reliability factor. And I mod my car for my own enjoyment while driving, not to go race people off the line to show how slow my entry-level lux sedan is.

Are we saying that people who paid $38k for a TL-S brand new wasted their money? We're talking about daily driver cars here - I'd take a used TL-S for $30k with 5k miles on it over a used M3 any day of the week, lol. I've driven E30, E36, and E46, and I own a Lotus Esprit and a TVR 280i - trust me I appreciate the performance machines you're talking about but only as the toy cars that they are.

How many people driving an ISF or M3 on the street actually drive it in a way that truly takes advantage of the RWD anyway? Most people are so terrible at driving that they brake through turns like the baddie drivers they are and don't have an inkling of learning how to drive the car or take it to a real track, so who cares?

Now, that being said, let me be clear and say I'd never drop $31k on a used TL-S with mods driven by a young guy. Why do I say this? Because I would never buy a car from me =p That's why I bought my TL-S from an old retired guy.
The following users liked this post:
KnightVTEC (04-22-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
It's looking like i'm trying to find a unicorn. I found ONE WDP TL-S with Taupe interior, and it was 5AT. I found a few dozen TL-S 6MT's in great condition, with low miles, some even certified. However, NONE were WDP, most were Ebony/Silver which I do not like at all. Do WDP TL-S's exist? If they do, nobody sells them.

The exterior color is a bit more flexible, but WDP is preferred. 6MT and Taupe interior are mandatory.

I don't care if I have to drive 2,500 miles or have to overpay. The vehicle simply does not exist for me to purchase.

To the guy selling his 'modded' TL for 31K, I would not be interested at 15K. Mods dramatically decrease resale vale, at least to me. I'd only be interested if it was really cheap, and then I would still put it back to stock. Since you messed with the suspension, it would take one hell of a deal for me to bother. It will likely never drive like new.

I'm not looking for a fast car, so the FWD TL is fine. I'm looking for a good daily driver I will enjoy driving. This means reasonable low end torque, fairly quiet, smooth over rough roads, decent fuel economy, classy interior, heated seats, dimming mirrors, NAV, good stock lighting... The 07-08 TL-S just really fits the bill for what I want. The base model just looks too bland, so Type-S it is. I plan on driving it slow.
Yes you are trying to find a unicorn. You're talking about a car that's 4 years old and had incredibly limited production numbers to begin with, and then on top of that you want it utterly mint and untouched.

I sincerely hope you find one but man that's one uphill battle for sure. I will say that I had all but given up hope on my quest for a good TL-S 6 speed w/taupe when I randomly found one 15 miles away from me on cars.com being sold private party by a retired guy. So there is hope. It just may be the most unexpected time that you find it.

You have to be ready to pounce immediately though. The guy I talked to said "yeah I have a couple people coming in from out of state to look at this" and I said "no, you don't. Here is your $$$ munniez, good sir."
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 AM
Pro

I wish I was just happy with the new models. I would run to the Acura dealer and buy one, exactly how I wanted it.

The guy at my Acura dealer has a 07 WDP TL-S 6MT with Taupe interior, but he isn't interested in selling. Otherwise, they appear to not exist, or people mod them, often what I consider heavily. If you ask me, the TL is a fantastic DD. Why would you mod it so you have to question its reliability? It's not a fast car, and its not meant to be. I want something thats a great cruiser, the TL-S happens to be exactly that in stock form. It might disappoint some of you, but the TL/TL-S is a slow car if you ask me. I don't have any problems with that, it will be my DD. I want to turn the key and go, I want it to be perfect.

I've modded cars. I don't want my DD to be anything other than 100% stock. No 'dealer installed options', aftermarket parts, touch up paint coated over chips, tint...

I'm prepared to buy one the same day I find it. Cash makes things simple.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^wow...you do know it's a used car right? rock chips are inevitable. tint you can get removed.

if my TL was a type-s and i was selling, seriously, i have a few mods but nothing crazy. i certainly don't beat the crap out of the car, drive it hard zipping around town (that's what the loaner cars are for). my car is in pristine condition except for a few rock chips, and if you wanted to know the entire history of the car...full disclosure. i am the OG with full service records (dealer maintained). i dont' know too many used cars out there in the condition you are looking for let alone a type-s with a 6MT. i know the guy that lives down the street from might have the perfect stock form base 05 TL in black....i never see him drive it and it's a total garage queen with a MB covertible as it's roommate. his DD is an older hyundai (which looks to be in pretty good shape).

so i don't know. i think you're asking for too much in a USED car.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Cruisin'

I own a KBP 6 spd 07 type s ebony interior I had to drive 350 miles to an Acura dealer to find it. I had good luck on autotrader.com believe it or not. But u have to be willing to travel. I've had no problems with it and i just hit 140,000 miles the car still drives like it has 20k. I absolutely love it. Still on original clutch too!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

@zongvtek. 0-60 5.5 is far from slow and if u add the AEM V2 intake system the car becomes an animal with wheel spin its an amazing 4 door if u ask me. I've eaten up Maxima 3.5 manuals and my buddies AMG clk500. Plus this car gets up to 150 pretty quick I've taken a picture of hit hitting the governor.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

@TL girl my Type S is the most pristine in the state of Massachusetts. 140k on it original clutch 4 pages of dealer service records. Just did an 8 thousand dollar paint job and replaced every outer trim piece grill foglights tailights just to have it perfect plus added a spec lip kit. The only mod I have is the AEM intake system. I also just fixed and painted the wheels and window visors black to match the trim. The dealer that I take it to tells me the mechanics love the car. Interior is flawless too. Rock chips are inevitable I already have a few on the front from highway driving. I will posts some pics as soon as the system let's me.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Cruisin'

Wink

Trying to get to 5 posts so that I can add pics is super annoying so ill just keep posting. Sorry in advance
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

Oh yea and for the right price I would sell mine but 20k would prob. Be my breaking point just becuase the car is near flawless. I don't know about that guy with the 31k price i understand why its high. To part with one of these cars would be painful unless the price is right.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

@knight- you failed to read the OP requirements for the type-s he seeks. oh and multi posting in the same thread just makes the mods mad.

one that has NEVER been modded (including aspec anything), even in the slightest, low miles, must have taupe interior (first choice for exterior would be WDP), in pristine condition with no scratches, dings, rock chips, possible rust or any evidence it may have lived in snow...and a 6MT. i think that summarizes his wish list. anything else you would like to add OP??? i admire your quest, but it'll be tough unless you find the one type-s that has been owned by an older individual with a garage and barely drives along with taking care of the car like it was his/her kid. you never know.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
1. Power Steering hose leak - Recall
2. Power Steering pump leak
3. Engine Mounts
4. Clutch Master Cylinder may start making noises, easy fix by greasing once in awhile.
5. Creaky dash board
6. Power Steering pump O-Ring - There's a DIY. easy fix

Last edited by nothome17; 04-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Pro

Look! The first White 07-08 TL-S 6MT I ever found for sale! It sure is insanely overpriced, not certified, but low miles. Interior color is unknown, and its on the other side of the country.

EDIT: Looks like the interior color is wrong... Nevermind.
http://www.lexusofroseville.com/Vehi...-CA/1761443953

Last edited by ZOMGVTEK; 05-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
$29,495?!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Pro

If it's that hard to find a WDP TL-S 6MT, it might not be the vehicle I want. I don't really want a car thats impossible to replace.

I'm getting close to giving up and waiting a bit for a Tesla Model S.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbirds11
Type S 6MT WDP = overpay + travel. so get used to it.
So true, you pay a little extra for WDP bc dealers know what WDP TL-S means. They know you want it so you realli have no room to negotiate. IMO WDP makes the the TL look more $$$ kinda like in a way how gold implies $$$ but for cars white = "gold"
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Pro

$30K for a 5 year old $40K car isn't overpaying, its insane.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Be patient. 6sp WDP is totally worth it!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Pro

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22777950&Log=0

These things are popping up like crazy now!

Still the wrong interior color.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Pro

I'm thinking WDP 6MT Ebony is one of the rarest combos. I easily found 30-40 6MT 07-08 TL-S's in every color besides WDP, and Taupe interior tends to be substantially less common. So far I found 3 WDP 6MT TL-S, one just taken in yesterday is Taupe. First one I found for sale in many months of searching.

It's not certified, but at a Honda dealer and the price is definitely reasonable. It's about 8 hours away, so I'm going to check it out.

Quick Reply: '08 Type-S Reliability Questions...