08 Tl Base Opening Hood While Drivng?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008 | 12:20 AM
A Black TL

08 Tl Base Opening Hood While Drivng?

Well i thought about just pushing the front hood button and leaving it kinda open while driving so air can rush in cooling the engine,etc. I wont push the lever to open it fully so it will still be locked on. And of course when its raining or snowing it will be closed, just doing it in summer cuz engine gets a lil hot cuz of temps. Do u guys think i can do it, will it work and help with cooling a bit? I dont wanna do cai and other mods. Becuase if the 09 TL is all that ill trade in.
Old 07-02-2008 | 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

I'm gonna say no. The air can push the latch open (don't ask how) and the hood will fly up and nothing good can come out of it. I had a mechanic forget to put the hood all the way down on my truck, it was locked but not shut, and it came up at about 30mph and dented the hood beyond repair.

You have to think the aerodynamics wouldn't allow it and there would be too much pressure on the bottom side of the hood.
Old 07-02-2008 | 12:32 AM
Laker fan

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Well i thought about just pushing the front hood button and leaving it kinda open while driving so air can rush in cooling the engine,etc. I wont push the lever to open it fully so it will still be locked on. And of course when its raining or snowing it will be closed, just doing it in summer cuz engine gets a lil hot cuz of temps. Do u guys think i can do it, will it work and help with cooling a bit? I dont wanna do cai and other mods. Becuase if the 09 TL is all that ill trade in.
well, consider the beating TL's get in the summer in AZ or Palm Springs CA (+110 degrees).... our cars are built to get sufficient cooling.

i cant say the same for motorcycles.

i will agree with the above statement about the force of aerodynamics. Be smart and dont ruin you car by leaving the hood propped open.
Old 07-02-2008 | 12:54 AM
Drifting

Are you really so dumb you think this might be a good idea?

Seriously.
Old 07-02-2008 | 02:45 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Are you really so dumb you think this might be a good idea?

Seriously.
+1. Darwin Award 2008?
Old 07-02-2008 | 03:53 AM
Safety Car

[edited by ggesq]

Dude, take it easy! We're all on the same side...and he was only asking a question. Chill...

As for the op's question, I agree with everyone else. Probably not the best idea, but I do have to admit, I've done actually done it a few times, but just as I'm entering my neighborhood - 15 mph max...don't ask why haha; no significant cooling imo (don't see heat rising or anything)
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:01 AM
Team Owner

DO NOT do this! driving with the hood unlatched is asking for it to pop open and fold back onto the roof- its really cool! if you are the guy that owns a body shop,,, but not cooling~

the cooling of the engine is designed to pull air thru the radiator with its fans, past the engine and most of it dumps out under the car, Thats what all the plastic is for- routing air and making the radiator more efficient

If you are parked with the engine running and its 110 out- yes open the hood fully to allow heat to escape, CLOSE the hood all the way before you drive- turn the AC OFF if realistic

Go look at the hood hinges and rethink how much structure you lose when its open, dont drive it like that at all.

If your temp comes up more than 1 tick- most TLs run about 1-2 ticks below half- if it goes above half EVER- something is wrong- If it goes up and down something is wrong

I can drive ac on full, from sealevel 110 degre, to 6000 feet in the mountains where its still 90 degree day, and never see the temp needle move
With a main cooling fan and the ac fan, there should not be any cooling issues

Check the level in the radiator when dead cold-must be all the way to the top
and check the res bottles hose is still attached inside its cap.
How many miles/years on the water pump and coolant?
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:06 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by ifirahse
+1. Darwin Award 2008?
+2
+3
+4 anddddd
+5
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Here's the warning to the three flamers above and you know who you are. This isn't fucking ramblings. If you want to go flame someone go do it over there. Is it something I would do- no- but if I have nothing positive or constructive to add I'm not going to post. Some of you guys have been here a while and you are well aware of the rules for posting. Either stick to it or your going on a vacation.
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
DO NOT do this! driving with the hood unlatched is asking for it to pop open and fold back onto the roof- its really cool! if you are the guy that owns a body shop,,, but not cooling~

the cooling of the engine is designed to pull air thru the radiator with its fans, past the engine and most of it dumps out under the car, Thats what all the plastic is for- routing air and making the radiator more efficient

If you are parked with the engine running and its 110 out- yes open the hood fully to allow heat to escape, CLOSE the hood all the way before you drive- turn the AC OFF if realistic

Go look at the hood hinges and rethink how much structure you lose when its open, dont drive it like that at all.

If your temp comes up more than 1 tick- most TLs run about 1-2 ticks below half- if it goes above half EVER- something is wrong- If it goes up and down something is wrong

I can drive ac on full, from sealevel 110 degre, to 6000 feet in the mountains where its still 90 degree day, and never see the temp needle move
With a main cooling fan and the ac fan, there should not be any cooling issues

Check the level in the radiator when dead cold-must be all the way to the top
and check the res bottles hose is still attached inside its cap.
How many miles/years on the water pump and coolant?
Yes that is correct.
Air flow will not go thru the proper way and create more drag. Please do not do this.
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:13 AM
Full of water...

didnt someone say that a lot of the cooling comes from under the car too...thats why we shouldnt remove that plastic thing that hangs down and scrapes when you enter a steep drive?!?!?

so no, dont drive like that!!!!
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by erick3
Dude, take it easy! We're all on the same side...and he was only asking a question. Chill...

As for the op's question, I agree with everyone else. Probably not the best idea, but I do have to admit, I've done actually done it a few times, but just as I'm entering my neighborhood - 15 mph max...don't ask why haha; no significant cooling imo (don't see heat rising or anything)
Old 07-02-2008 | 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Popping the hood will also creat a lot of drag and noise. You might as well remove the hood if is the route you want to go. But as far as cooling, the car is already made to cool itself. No need to pop the hood.
Old 07-02-2008 | 08:46 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

you'd be better off getting a vented hood.
Old 07-02-2008 | 09:00 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Old 07-02-2008 | 09:47 AM
A Black TL

Well i just bought it in march of 08. I think it almost has 2,000 miles. Do i have any thing to check for. And u know that silver cap infront of the engine i can barely see any fluid in there. Btw i removed the plastic coverings in the around the engine area. And the reason i wanted to cool the engine more b/c some guy said heat was the #1 factor killing the performance in our car"the guy that did the TL DIET said that".
Old 07-02-2008 | 09:51 AM
Full of water...

Well i just bought it in march of 08. I think it almost has 2,000 miles. Do i have any thing to check for. And u know that silver cap infront of the engine i can barely see any fluid in there. Btw i removed the plastic coverings in the around the engine area. And the reason i wanted to cool the engine more b/c some guy said heat was the #1 factor killing the performance in our car"the guy that did the TL DIET said that".

i dont think it is so much the heat around the engine, but the hot air being sucked in to the engine. thats were a CAI, TBS, and non-heat transferring gaskets help out.
Old 07-02-2008 | 10:03 AM
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by ggesq
Here's the warning to the three flamers above and you know who you are. This isn't fucking ramblings. If you want to go flame someone go do it over there. Is it something I would do- no- but if I have nothing positive or constructive to add I'm not going to post. Some of you guys have been here a while and you are well aware of the rules for posting. Either stick to it or your going on a vacation.
I feel like I am on forum with little boys. The OP deserves a flame this could be one of the most immature questions about a car I have yet to read. Give us a break. And to the mod for giving the warnings... thanks for the using such great language. What an example to these boards you are. I'm sure my comments will be erased and I will be banned. Some mods are like the CHP a little power and wham a tool is formed.

To the OP you are unbelievable. I responded to your is the tl-s that much better then the tl thread along with your burn out thread and now a thread asking if you can drive your car for added performance with the hood opened. I think I will ban myself.
Old 07-02-2008 | 10:05 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Yes please don't drive around with your hood half open. It's extremely dangerous. Get a CAI, TB Spacer and thermal gaskets if you're that worried about under hood temps, and if you're not willing to modify stuff just remember that the car was designed the way it is to operate well from the factory. You're not going to overheat unless something fails.
Old 07-02-2008 | 10:17 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Im pretty sure the car was designed to run with the hood closed. Im seriously speechless, go ride your bike.

Dumbest.Thread.EVAR.
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:02 AM
Man of God.....

Wink Want to run cooler?

I don't think running with the hood opened even a little is safe. If you want to run cooler. Use this, I do....

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:02 AM
Pro

You've got to be kidding me.

The engine is designed to run at a certain temperature (usually about 180F right?). A thermostat in the cooling system restricts coolant flow most of the time to maintain that temperature so you're never using your cooling system to 100% capacity anyway. All that will happen if you open your hood while driving is that the thermostat will further constrict coolant flow to compensate for the additional air flowing over the engine.

Poping the hood while driving to keep the engine colder has got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard.
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:04 AM
Pro

Also, the guy who did the "TL diet" removed the airbags, among other things. When you're involved in a high speed accident, let me know if the 0.01 MPG increase you experienced by removing the airbags was worth the injuries, or worse, you suffered because of it. That guy's got to have the second worst idea on this forum.
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:30 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

If you unlatch the hood, and get up to any road speed (>35mph), your hood WILL fly open while you drive. It's not a good idea, and very dangerous.
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:44 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

someone close this thread already!
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

If you are trying to squeeze more performance out of your TL then there are other safer ways to do it. Engines are made to run in a certain temperature range.

If you still feel you need to do cool your engine then I have two ideas.

You can take the hood off the car and store it somewhere safe.

You can also get a carbon fiber hood and have a hood scoop put on.
Old 07-02-2008 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

Not a great idea. Yes, every car's engine is designed to operate at certain engine temp level. If it's less or more than that, something isn't right. So lock the hood before you drive please.
Old 07-02-2008 | 12:40 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Old 07-02-2008 | 12:44 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

you should try removing one of your wheels. not the spare one only, but also one of the rear ones. since the TL is front wheel drive, the extra rear wheel and tire yo have spinning creates rotational mass. we all know that we need to unleash the full raw potential of the TL by removing ANYTHING that can be considered excess. ANYTHING

Old 07-02-2008 | 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sol_da_man
you should try removing one of your wheels. not the spare one only, but also one of the rear ones. since the TL is front wheel drive, the extra rear wheel and tire yo have spinning creates rotational mass. we all know that we need to unleash the full raw potential of the TL by removing ANYTHING that can be considered excess. ANYTHING

That's not needed here in the 3G section. Don't over-react to a simple question, I think the answer has been given here. Thread closed.
Old 07-02-2008 | 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by say when
I feel like I am on forum with little boys. The OP deserves a flame this could be one of the most immature questions about a car I have yet to read. Give us a break. And to the mod for giving the warnings... thanks for the using such great language. What an example to these boards you are. I'm sure my comments will be erased and I will be banned. Some mods are like the CHP a little power and wham a tool is formed.

To the OP you are unbelievable. I responded to your is the tl-s that much better then the tl thread along with your burn out thread and now a thread asking if you can drive your car for added performance with the hood opened. I think I will ban myself.
I feel the same way except some of you are over 30 years old. It's fucking pathetic. You want to flame someone because they ask a dumb ass question but you started two threads that could have been answered by reading the manual or reading the 3G Garage.