Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 TL - smoother/softer than '06?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 TL - smoother/softer than '06?

I'm in the market for a TL; was looking at used but could go new if pushed.

Having an Acura Legend at the moment (14 yrs of service!), I've considered both the RL and the TL. The current RL is too pricey for me, and I don't like the headlight design one bit.

A used 2005 TL that I drove was, for me, just a bit too 'sporty' - a little too firm, too 'bouncy', and downshifted at the merest hint of pressure on the gas pedal. It was fantastic in the curves, took off like a rocket, etc, but ... I drive 100 freeway miles a day and quietness / smoothness are key factors for me - but not slushy and soft like the old RL.

The dealer I'm talking to tells me the '07 TL has been 'softened up' a little - a bit quieter/softer/smoother, since they now have the TL-S to satisfy the sporty drivers. Is there any truth in this? A 'softened up' TL sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! I know this is probably heresy for most TL owners!

I'm looking at the TL because it is the best looking car on the road today, IMHO - the headlight design is one of the only new model designs out there that does not have those overstated, over-separated, stupid projector-bulb looks. Even the RL has gone down that path, sadly. Same goes for rear-end; the rear light units are simple and effective.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they probably lied to you since you told them that you're looking for quietness/smoothness. so they might as well make that up to get you into buying one. they could even say the TL is rwd if you say you wanted something rwd.. dealers are liars and will do everything to get you into their trap. just my
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
i wouldnt be surprised if they softened things up a bit in the base model. I do believe theres a noise cancellation system...not sure if its in the base though. best way to find out is to give it a drive.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
i wouldnt be surprised if they softened things up a bit in the base model. I do believe theres a noise cancellation system...not sure if its in the base though. best way to find out is to give it a drive.
only in the type S. The 07 TL is the same as the earlier ones. To the Orignal Poster, the TL learns the way you drive, if you are a sporty driver, it will be fast, if you are a driver that changes being slow and fast, it will change to your needs. It takes about 100 miles to do this, hence the immediate downshift. As for the suspension, the TL you drove may have had wrong tire PSI because it can affect the ride alot, also the tires can make a difference. Test drive an 07 navi TL that is new, almost 10 miles on it and see how it drives. This will give you a better idea on it.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Steerpike:

The dealer is correct. The '07 and '08 TL have a softer suspension tuning, significantly reducing the harshness.

Straight from Acura:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/3745

Noteworthy TL chassis enhancements include:

* Suspension tuning to enhance ride comfort while maintaining handling performance
* Front spring rates reduced by 7 percent from 2006 TL
* Shock absorbers and compliance bushing retuned for ride comfort
* Thicker hollow front anti-roll bar and new larger diameter hollow rear anti-roll bar
* New rear subframe bushings for reduced NVH
* Stiffer 17 x 8-inch aluminum-alloy wheels that result in less road noise
* Underbody brake strake to reduce brake fade
Also:

The TL's suspension has been retuned with an emphasis on ride comfort while maintaining excellent handling. Thus, the hollow front anti-roll bar has increased in size from 25.4 mm to 27.2 mm. Also, the front spring rate has been reduced by 7 percent compared to the 2006 model. The front compliance bushing and dampers have been retuned for improved ride comfort, resulting in improved ride comfort without increased roll and only a slight decrease in instrumented handling tests.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
wow, good find ken, I guess that my statement was wrong for atleast the first part.... I think that should be stickied somewhere about changes to the TL...
Old 07-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info! I did test drive the '07 TL today (non-Navi, I presume that does not matter!), and I can say it was very quiet, and very smooth (shifting, etc). It was still a bit 'harsh' (suspension) for me, but only 'ever so slightly' ... I'm thinking that by the time everything settles down, it will be close to what I'm looking for (this one had 4 miles on it when I started; I took it for a 50 mile run).

I really liked the new speedometer display, compared to '04/05 (less faddy), and I also felt that the non-navi display area was more tolerable than before - though I still think this is the single biggest drawback of the car ... there is a huge 'black hole' in the center of the console where useful controls should be. I was trying to switch between the dolby on and off settings, to compare them, but if you don't twist that knob quickly, it 'times out' and you have to start from the beginning again - push push push to get through all the different settings. On my 14 year old Legend, it has .. shock, horror - a dedicated knob for bass, treble, fader, etc !!! They could put a gazillion controls in that center area for important features but instead just leave a big black area advertizing 'I didn't cough up for the Navi version'

Here's what the '07 non-navi area looks like:

I brought my iPod with me, and hooked it up to the new aux input; worked like a charm. I'll probably get the DICE interface at some point (I've got an iPod interface in my '93 Legend, it would be a step backwards to lose that), but at least this will see me through for a while.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steerpike, I think that Acura also added extra padding in the seats for 2007. My salesman has a 2004 TL, but borrowed a 2007 TL this year and he thought that the ride was more comfortable in the 2007, especially on long drives.
I only notice the "bit harsh" suspension on my 07 driving on local roads that have a lot of potholes (on the passenger side) from the winter ice and snow and on interstates that really need to be fixed. For example, we drove 1400 miles from the Midwest to Washington, DC this summer, and I only noticed the potholes on a 60 to 100 stretch of the PA turnpike that was in bad shape. Last week I drove on rural 2 lane state roads between 60 and 75 mph for about 30 miles and the TL was unbelievably smooth and completely quiet on this road surface.