Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 TL-S 5at modded vs Stock 07 TL-S 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
07 TL-S 5at modded vs Stock 07 TL-S 6mt

Ok so finally ran a 6mt trans which I found stock...A member on here Franchise114().......

So I got some videos as well...not the greatest camera person but it will do I guess

So see my sig for mods done to car minus the P2R delete which I placed back in to pass inspection and also I had passenger between both of us we total close to 300+lbs roughly..Also I had my Bridgestone Blizzak tires (snow tires) so that wasn't going to help either way I am pleased with the runs and very surprised at how amazing those close gear ratio trans on the TL-S 6mt are!!

so first run we took off at about 40mph I was in 2nd and so was he.....as you all know 40mph for us Auto guys is not good but I wanted to try different speeds and what not...This went from 40mph to about 120mph give or take and we shut it down....by 120 the stock TL-S was ahead of me...my front bumper was just slightly behind his rear bumper.....very impressed at how the stock 6mt TL-S did

Enjoy!

on to the video:

2nd run: now at 50mph 5at's sweet spot start

unfortunately again bad camera woman() filming road instead of car but notice his headlights in beggining next to me so we go from 50 to about 110ish or so and cut it, which I believe he either started in third here or mishifted which is why he never really passes me but stays close to my rear bumper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIT8d...ature=youtu.be

3rd run 50mph again till 120ish or so.....here 2nd and third gear and I'm ahead(which to his credit we didn't really start neck to neck as I was half my front was in front of his lights)

...... and then the dreaded 4th gear you will know when I am in fourth as he slowly begins passing me and then we shut it down since 4th gear in the auto is useless...(governor issue btw hasn't been fully fixed yet with tune only partially but either way very good stuff for the 6mt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wR3e...ature=youtu.be

and the last video we took off again 50mph till past 140plus just to show how much 4th sucks in the auto and how much the 6mt pulls away after I shift into 4th...again I get to about 136ish where I flatten out(tune being resolved on this matter) and the 6mt just keeps pulling and he brakes when he is at about 145ish or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3ql...ature=youtu.be

we also did one from 20mph roll and again about same scenario I stayed barely in front thru 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and at top of 3rd he is neck and neck with me and passing me as I shift into 4th and the rest is hisrtory for the 5at

no video here as camerawoman did not press the record button....

So in conclusion the 6mt TL-S is a sleeper of a beast and honestly I have run a 335xi(n54) 6at coupe before my tune and was pulling from him on highway (a very slow pull but none the less he was not gaining)

But yeah I should have waited till I found a 6mt TL-S and now I know why I don't like automatics......man stock for stock I would have just gotten raped! which I already knew....I am glad I got to find a stock 6mt TL-S to run with and see what my mods have done and at the end of day I can run with some cars that otherwise should have just handed my ass on a platter.

Thanks to Franchise114 for staying stock as long as you have and making these runs possible

next up for me I will be done with further mods on TL-S unless its a Turbo or find a 6mt TL-S in decent condition and swap what I have here into that lol!!

Good night and Thanks for watching!!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice runs, but get a new camerawoman lol
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ruby
Nice runs, but get a new camerawoman lol

lol agreed...last minute and had no one else, I didn't know it was so complicated to point and record but I guess I was wrong...It was on a gopro camera and unfortunately when you record you can't see the replay until you plug into a computer back home to see what was recorded.....oh believe me when I saw the recordings I was too thrilled

I was thinking wow I carried the extra weight and this is what I got from it
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 663 Posts
Nice runs

Regardless of the quality, the videos should give people an idea of how much of a difference the bolt-ons and J&R tune make.

One of these days we'll have to run to Mexico to get some more footage. Too bad that STI and Mustang didn't bite
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM
TimmieT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
damn nice runs, if i would have made it to the meet i would surely be behind you guys. all the better reason to go F/I...
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Franchise1124
Nice runs

Regardless of the quality, the videos should give people an idea of how much of a difference the bolt-ons and J&R tune make.

One of these days we'll have to run to Mexico to get some more footage. Too bad that STI and Mustang didn't bite
yea I was hoping they would, but like you said the STI assuming he was stock probably became afraid or had second thoughts about running once he said the lol...cuz he passed us going 85plus and I got next to him and when I got behind him on fastlane he then went right and I pulled next to him in 3rd around 6k rpm and when I let off he heard all the ruckus and possible changed his mind

Originally Posted by laosthaha
damn nice runs, if i would have made it to the meet i would surely be behind you guys. all the better reason to go F/I...
yeah we will have you be camera car!! that way get better footage.....
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
yea I was hoping they would, but like you said the STI assuming he was stock probably became afraid or had second thoughts about running once he said the lol...cuz he passed us going 85plus and I got next to him and when I got behind him on fastlane he then went right and I pulled next to him in 3rd around 6k rpm and when I let off he heard all the ruckus and possible changed his mind

I guarantee that's what happened. He was in a hurry up until that point then he slowed down to 50
Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
nicee runs guys! Next time i meet up with you guys, i'll bring my phones dashmount....and record runs from behind hahah
Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Very nice runs! Finally some vids in the vs section!! The camera woman wasn't all that bad. The last vid really shows how dreaded the AT 4th gear is, wow! The TL-s put about 6 cars on you lol.

Other than 4th gear your car did really well. Keep in mind you had a passenger, and that makes a difference. The take home point here is the AT with full bolt on/ECU is definitely faster than a stock 6MT TL-s to ~110 or so. If you didn't have a passenger you would have slightly gained in the last video (best one imo) until you hit 4th. It seemed as if you pulled minimally in 2nd-bottom of 3rd, then no one seemed to pull until about 115 or so where the 6MT passed.

Great runs. Keep it safe! Glad you are liking the new ECU btw
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSMTL04
nicee runs guys! Next time i meet up with you guys, i'll bring my phones dashmount....and record runs from behind hahah
Lol you sure you don't wanna join the fun?

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Very nice runs! Finally some vids in the vs section!! The camera woman wasn't all that bad. The last vid really shows how dreaded the AT 4th gear is, wow! The TL-s put about 6 cars on you lol.

Other than 4th gear your car did really well. Keep in mind you had a passenger, and that makes a difference. The take home point here is the AT with full bolt on/ECU is definitely faster than a stock 6MT TL-s to ~110 or so. If you didn't have a passenger you would have slightly gained in the last video (best one imo) until you hit 4th. It seemed as if you pulled minimally in 2nd-bottom of 3rd, then no one seemed to pull until about 115 or so where the 6MT passed.

Well put, Sonnick. All else being equal, a full bolt-on/tuned 5AT is faster than a stock 6MT. I was extremely impressed with the results and it's definitely a good look for the 5AT crowd in any trim.

Boston, you need to get some timeslips this summer. Do it.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah this really shows how to get the 5at TL-S faster then the 6mt up until 4th gear lol...but I been thinking the fix to this might come in this Custom Nitrous set-up JnR has been talking about...much cheaper route than turbo and no have to use it all the time and once final price is set I will make another trip to Florida and let Rodney work his magic!...and Yes the 4th gear is just said...I really wished Rodney hadnt given up on being able to mess with trans shift points n what not....but yeah Hopefully as summer approaches I will cruise around with my gopro and see if I can get new unexpecting victims.....Gotta get those unaware of how the TL-S are

Lol you sure you don't wanna join the fun?

Well put, Sonnick. All else being equal, a full bolt-on/tuned 5AT is faster than a stock 6MT. I was extremely impressed with the results and it's definitely a good look for the 5AT crowd in any trim.

Boston, you need to get some timeslips this summer. Do it.
Yes likewise I was impressed for both ends and more impressed with how those 6mt gearing is....But yes I will def be heading up to the track this year to get some 1/4 mile times..You should head up al well......We will have to do an Acurazine New England Dragway night

Last edited by BostonSilverTypeS; 02-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Nice runs! Boston, I'd ditch the SRI for a CAI if I were you. Any plans for a catback, pulley, P/P? Lighter wheels would help too. I bet there's another 20whp to be had without getting into F/I or cams.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 PM
TimmieT

yeah this really shows how to get the 5at TL-S faster then the 6mt up until 4th gear lol...but I been thinking the fix to this might come in this Custom Nitrous set-up JnR has been talking about...much cheaper route than turbo and no have to use it all the time and once final price is set I will make another trip to Florida and let Rodney work his magic!...and Yes the 4th gear is just said...I really wished Rodney hadnt given up on being able to mess with trans shift points n what not....but yeah Hopefully as summer approaches I will cruise around with my gopro and see if I can get new unexpecting victims.....Gotta get those unaware of how the TL-S are

Yes likewise I was impressed for both ends and more impressed with how those 6mt gearing is....But yes I will def be heading up to the track this year to get some 1/4 mile times..You should head up al well......We will have to do an Acurazine New England Dragway night
how safe is nos? when i hear nos, all i can think of is this. lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Great runs!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Nice runs! Boston, I'd ditch the SRI for a CAI if I were you. Any plans for a catback, pulley, P/P? Lighter wheels would help too. I bet there's another 20whp to be had without getting into F/I or cams.
Thanks and yeah for me I've had bad situation with CAI in my previous vehicle that i tend to stay away from it, but also since the gains is minimal from SRI to CAI that it's really not worth it to me at least....But yeah as far as catback you must missed my sig!! RV6 FULL Exhaust system!! so yea exhaust side is all taken care of

and yeah ur right there is more whp to be find as just in tune I am suppose to be receiving some additional gains from Rodney's new adjusted map...And I can still do the pulley, TB spacer, P2R IM spacer, P/P...and as far as lighter wheels my winter wheels are actually lighter than my oem's but unfortunately they are on snow tires so def didn't help....All in all it was a good measure to see how it stacked up given what I had done already....

Originally Posted by laosthaha
how safe is nos? when i hear nos, all i can think of is this. lol.
]

NOS is just a brand lol, but yeah Nitrous is very safe given that you are aware of what you have and correctly installed and then TUNED!!! right by the right person (**cough Rodney cough**), then yes it is very safe and plenty of fun to have.......

On that same note a slap job and then no tune and you are just asking for trouble if you are not too familiar with it...but yea some people are afraid of it because of the instant power you get from spraying something and then all of a sudden you have instead torque and hp, but read up on it and see that it can be very safe, like turbo, sc...i mean even those without proper tune can be dangerous and then with meth injection your talking even more dangerous. Not here to push you away from those things by any mean, but def become knowledgeable on the things you are throwing in your car and you will be better off in the end!!

Not to mention with Nitrous you can just keep it shut off and not have to worry until you feel like using it or what not......I know that some may argue and say well with turbo you can also drive without ever being in boost or what not, but whenever you punch it wot then your in boost(unless you have an electronic boost controller and you turn boost down to nothing lol) but yeah you get what I'm getting at, basically Nitrous could be an option to use very seldom and if you are not racing alot or going to the track often it is a very cost effective way to get some big gains without going and spending 10k on turbo route and never really get to use it.....I wish I could just dump 10k in turbo'ing my car but then I ask how often will I get to really use the car to it's potential and have fun with it!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
So to get this clear, fully bolted and tuned auto type s still isnt faster than a stock 6 speed?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
1st - 3rd, it looks like a fully bolted tuned TL-S 5AT can hold it's own.

Due to the AT's dreaded tall 4th gear, it drops out of VTEC and the power drops considerably giving the 6MT the edge over 100mph .. which really isn't all that necessary ?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BaucE
So to get this clear, fully bolted and tuned auto type s still isnt faster than a stock 6 speed?
yes and no!! it is slightly faster in the lower gears and then after 110mph-115mph the 6mt takes over!!!

so in the 1/4 mile the fully bolted TL-S should be quicker as you only use 1,2,3 down the 1320!

Originally Posted by TylerT
1st - 3rd, it looks like a fully bolted tuned TL-S 5AT can hold it's own.

Due to the AT's dreaded tall 4th gear, it drops out of VTEC and the power drops considerably giving the 6MT the edge over 100mph .. which really isn't all that necessary ?
pretty much! damn stupid 4th gear! lol
Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
All motor

Did you read the thread/watch the vids? The camera car (5AT) had a passenger and was ahead for most of the 1-3 gear pulls. 4th gear is the only gear that the 6MT pulled, which is totally understandable given the horrible gearing of 4th for the AT.

This shows 2 things: how impressive the 6MT really is, and how much bolt ons/tune helps the 5AT. If the 5AT were stock, it probably would've been behind 3-4 cars easily from 1-3rd and 4th we may not even be able to see the 6MT lol.

Hey Boston, I wouldn't be surprised to see you dipping into the 13s @102...
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Lol @ unexpecting victims. What's the word on your friend with the 335i?

Let me know when you decide to go. I'll definitely need to ditch that check valve if I make any passes.

Did you read the thread/watch the vids? The camera car (5AT) had a passenger and was ahead for most of the 1-3 gear pulls. 4th gear is the only gear that the 6MT pulled, which is totally understandable given the horrible gearing of 4th for the AT.

This shows 2 things: how impressive the 6MT really is, and how much bolt ons/tune helps the 5AT. If the 5AT were stock, it probably would've been behind 3-4 cars easily from 1-3rd and 4th we may not even be able to see the 6MT lol.

Hey Boston, I wouldn't be surprised to see you dipping into the 13s @102...
^This
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
keep in mind he's not fully bolted either.

no aftermarket exhaust, no lightweight pulley, and he's running a SRI instead of a CAI.

plus he had a passenger, winter tires, and who knows what else in his car.

boston, get rid of that SRI!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
keep in mind he's not fully bolted either.

no aftermarket exhaust, no lightweight pulley, and he's running a SRI instead of a CAI.

plus he had a passenger, winter tires, and who knows what else in his car.

boston, get rid of that SRI!

He has PCDs, j-pipe, and RV6 TD exhaust as mentioned above in this thread, indicated by his sig, and the fact that I saw his car breathe fire before we did these pulls.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
All motor

^^ He has RV6 from head to toe (full exhaust)

The pulley is a pretty good mod to have though. Winter tires shouldn't make much of a difference from a roll anyway, unless they are much heavier, which I could see being they need to plow through snow. But at the same time, I doubt it's enough of a difference to really be shown in a race.

Boston I was looking at your numbers; I forget if you posted a dyno. Was your final 281 a spike?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts

He has PCDs, j-pipe, and RV6 TD exhaust as mentioned above in this thread, indicated by his sig, and the fact that I saw his car breathe fire before we did these pulls.
ahh whoops. missed that part.

...i'll be leaving now.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me know when you guys are planning on getting together again, I'd love to join.
The following users liked this post:
BostonSilverTypeS (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
All motor

Oh sh1t. Modded Base 6MT vs. Stock TL-s 6MT vs. bolt on/tuned 5AT TL-s??? IN FOR RESULTS!!!
pawelTL6MT (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

I like where this is going
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

what he said....Full RV6 exhaust ...lol and yeah I'm trying to get him to roll out one of these days the 335i buddy of mine.....

Yea pulley will def help and a few other things but again in the 1/4 I will not use 4th gear so I am not too worried and I got some nice 245 nitto's for the track so remember last time I went to track I only had pcd's and sri with shitty tires and did 14.5 @ 98mph on a 80degree day
Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pawelTL6MT
Let me know when you guys are planning on getting together again, I'd love to join.
yes agreed liking the sound of this!!...spring time is around the corner and this time I want no passenger and my summer tires on+ I should have my new tune as well
Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
All motor

14.5 @98 is a pretty good time/trap for those mods. I have no doubts you will see at least low 14s @102mph. Given your Nitto tires I would love to say 13s!!

If only I were closer I'd love to run you guys!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Yea I am hoping for 13.9x, but will be satisfied with 14flat with a trap speed around 102mph..........

Long Island not too far away.......Maybe this summer I can make it to a Etown night down there! I been there before for car shows...actually come to think of it I do training down in Jersey so next time I do training I will def be willing to head out to Long Island......I was there last May went to the National Cemetery out there to visit my buddies grave...forget the name of the cemetery but its by LI though

Last edited by BostonSilverTypeS; 02-13-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
All motor

Oh really? That's cool man. Yea I'm definitely down for a track day. I usually go to Etown but am willing to try new tracks as well. I believe Lebanon Valley is closer to you and I'd have no problem going there. I've heard you get more runs there than Englishtown also...usually above 7 or 8. Apparently it's a bit quicker than Englishtown as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

^ I know either or is def faster than uphill NE dragway lol
Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

yes agreed liking the sound of this!!...spring time is around the corner and this time I want no passenger and my summer tires on+ I should have my new tune as well
We should do a run after you get everything sorted out. And a run with the J&R disconnected

14.5 @98 is a pretty good time/trap for those mods. I have no doubts you will see at least low 14s @102mph. Given your Nitto tires I would love to say 13s!!

If only I were closer I'd love to run you guys!
Not too far away! I've got some road trips in the works for this summer so maybe we can coordinate something
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ Yea no doubt...Don't mind seeing how much I will get ate by.....

NY road trip sounds good to me

- Battle of the BeanTown TL's (undetermined date)

- Road trip to NY/NJ

Stay tuned for more
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
TimmieT

that nitris setup does seem interesting, how much is that gonna run u with a tune?
lets definately setup a ne dragway meet. sometime during the summer or beginning of fall.
BostonSilverTypeS (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh really? That's cool man. Yea I'm definitely down for a track day. I usually go to Etown but am willing to try new tracks as well. I believe Lebanon Valley is closer to you and I'd have no problem going there. I've heard you get more runs there than Englishtown also...usually above 7 or 8. Apparently it's a bit quicker than Englishtown as well.
I'm in for Lebanon Valley! Only about an hour and a half drive for me. Gotta see if my ported TB, matched intake and runners did anything for me. New wheels and tires on the way too; losing 11-12 lbs per corner.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
epic thread. sub'd.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Just remembered there's another guy on here from around Schenectady with a bolted 6MT that goes to LV.

How many TL's can we get there?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

I'll definitely need to step my game up to hang with all you modded guys

Quick Reply: 07 TL-S 5at modded vs Stock 07 TL-S 6mt