Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 TL Maintenance for "new" owner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 TL Maintenance for "new" owner?

Got my 07 TL recently. I've been doing some maintenance on my own, following the threads on this forum, namely the 3x3 ATF drain and fill, all the AT pressure switches, and the PCV fix. Great.
Questions:
1) When the car was sold to me, I was told that they had changed the timing belt on it. At <50k miles I thought that was an odd time to do that, but maybe it was due to the age (10 years)? What are your thoughts on this?
2) I'm told that as the "new" owner of a used vehicle, I should change all the fluids. I'm going to assume that the previous owner didn't do any other than the oil change.
  1. Oil life indicated 100% when I first bought it, but now it's at 90%. Assume the previous owner didn't just reset it right before the sale, how far down on the percentage should I wait until the next oil change?
  2. Brake fluid and power-steering fluid: what's the value in changing these at 50k? Is this also time-based due to being a 10-year old car?
  3. Coolant flush. Again, at 50k and 10 years, should this be done soon? What's the benefit of doing this?
3) What other maintenance items am I missing for vehicle at this age? The brake pads look ok, but sometimes I hear squeak applying brakes while backing up. Is that a problem?
4) How can I tell if the suspensions need work? I'm new at this...
Old 10-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
The 07 transmission is much improved over the previous years. I have an 07 with 252,000+ and have never done anything with the pressure switches. I just swap out 3x3 about every 30,000. As far as the other fluids, just look and smell. If the oil looks old and you are concerned....change it....$20. I do mine about every 5k - 7k. Brake fluid is 3 years and coolant is every couple (although most say lifetime). Your manual gives you all of the time/mileage guidelines and none of these have been an issue for me.

I check the suspension and brakes whenever I have the car up on stands when I do the oil/transmission fluid service. Just look around for worn bushings or any fluid leaks. You did not mention the mileage on the car but the garage section or problems and fixes will list the big issues with the 3G TL with the later transmission. Things like engine mounts, power steering pump, etc are typical items but not crazy items.

Mine has been a great car and if you do your own work you will save a ton of cash.
Enjoy the ride
Old 10-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car is at about 48k miles. I don't have the original manual; the previous owner didn't bother to include that.
I want to take care of the car, because I expect some long life ahead of it. It sounds like I do need to change all the fluids. I can't assume the previous owner had done anything other than the engine oil.
What about the spark plugs, wires and distribution cap? Are those miles-driven or year-driven?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey typesdad,
I am in a similar situation as you are with a "new" to you used car and same as you, I plan on keeping it for along time. Glad that the Timing belt was done, but I'd need to see a receipt or paperwork to ensure verify it has indeed been done due to it being major maintenance. For fluids, I dont see a problem not changing it, as long as they aren't discolored. But for peace of mind, I would change them to quality OEM fluids (which is what i did). Spark plugs, wires, dizzy.. you can let them be, as long as you dont have any issues.
I would start planning other preventative maintenance/ repairs in the meantime, not just to throw money at it, but to make sure it the car will last and run smooth.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also a new owner of a 07 base model TL with 107k mileage. What would be the easier maintenance to do myself because this is my first car so I really don't know much about everything and I also want to save some money.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by weitaoli123
I'm also a new owner of a 07 base model TL with 107k mileage. What would be the easier maintenance to do myself because this is my first car so I really don't know much about everything and I also want to save some money.
Get yourself a good quality shop jack and 4 jack stands to start. Torque wrench and breaker bar. Box wrench set (metric). Funnels and other misc. Then use the garage section of this forum to learn about the common issues with this car. This forum is the best that I have seen for providing excellent feedback and often great step by step instructions/pictures for how to do most easy jobs. YouTube has a ton of videos of this model or similar.
You can do oil and filter changes, transmission fluid, brakes, tire rotation, engine and cabin filters, bulbs, etc, and other common maintenance work as you learn your car. This alone will pay for itself versus the dealer and tool cost in no time. If you get brave and are mechanically inclined you can tackle other jobs that may pop up. Timing belt if not done yet is due and that I would farm out to a mechanic (check Honda for cheaper rate vs Acura dealership). The best news is that you are young, so learning the basics now and advance your skills. I regret not learning more when I was younger. For years I just had the dealer do the work until I got fed up with the overcharging and the recommended work that was not in the service manual. Most of the basic stuff that you need to do is easy after a little practice. Find someone who knows their way around working on a car and learn all that you can.
I love working on my car but even more I love saving a ton of $$$
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Get yourself a good quality shop jack and 4 jack stands to start. Torque wrench and breaker bar. Box wrench set (metric). Funnels and other misc. Then use the garage section of this forum to learn about the common issues with this car. This forum is the best that I have seen for providing excellent feedback and often great step by step instructions/pictures for how to do most easy jobs. YouTube has a ton of videos of this model or similar.
You can do oil and filter changes, transmission fluid, brakes, tire rotation, engine and cabin filters, bulbs, etc, and other common maintenance work as you learn your car. This alone will pay for itself versus the dealer and tool cost in no time. If you get brave and are mechanically inclined you can tackle other jobs that may pop up. Timing belt if not done yet is due and that I would farm out to a mechanic (check Honda for cheaper rate vs Acura dealership). The best news is that you are young, so learning the basics now and advance your skills. I regret not learning more when I was younger. For years I just had the dealer do the work until I got fed up with the overcharging and the recommended work that was not in the service manual. Most of the basic stuff that you need to do is easy after a little practice. Find someone who knows their way around working on a car and learn all that you can.
I love working on my car but even more I love saving a ton of $$$
Where would the garage section of the forum be? I'm new to the forums and don't really know how to navigate it.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-first-553557/

It's stickied right on the front page of this subforum