Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 TL Invoice Price

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 TL Invoice Price

It seems I am getting different numbers for the TL invoice price (Consumer Reports/Edumunds, etc.) I had a KC Dealer tell me it's around $31,688 (without the Admin Fee of $229). Does that seem right? Can someone give me the actual #?

List is $34,295 + $229 admin fee. I would like to add Body Side Molding, Trunk Tray, and All Season Floor Mats. What is your first quote to the dealer and where would you expect to end up? I am in the Midwest (if that matters).

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

2007 Acura TL w/ Navigation

MSRP: $36,125
Invoice: $33,137
Destination Charge: $670
Total MSRP w/ Destination Charge: $36,795
Total Invoice w/ Destination Charge: $33,807
Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Admin fee?

I have not heard of a $229 Admin fee; it may be something your particular dealer is adding. The only add on fee I know of is the $670 destination charge mandated by Acura. I do not know the invoice price but I think you will find that a dealer's actual cost is a moving target. I think .915 x the MSRP will approximate dealer invoice on a TL. But Acura gives its dealers a rebate called a holdback, usually around 3% of MSRP, that does not show on the dealer invoice. The holdback varies depending on the time of the year and the demand for the particular model. When I bought my 2006 TL in November, 2005, I first located a dealer that did not add on an extra fee like your $229 admin fee. Here in south Florida, many dealers were adding $500 calling it a "Documentation Fee." Incidentally, I found the destination charge of $670 to be etched in stone and not discountable or negotiable at all.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by flanso
I have not heard of a $229 Admin fee; it may be something your particular dealer is adding. The only add on fee I know of is the $670 destination charge mandated by Acura. I do not know the invoice price but I think you will find that a dealer's actual cost is a moving target. I think .915 x the MSRP will approximate dealer invoice on a TL. But Acura gives its dealers a rebate called a holdback, usually around 3% of MSRP, that does not show on the dealer invoice. The holdback varies depending on the time of the year and the demand for the particular model. When I bought my 2006 TL in November, 2005, I first located a dealer that did not add on an extra fee like your $229 admin fee. Here in south Florida, many dealers were adding $500 calling it a "Documentation Fee." Incidentally, I found the destination charge of $670 to be etched in stone and not discountable or negotiable at all.
Thanks for the info. I had all three dealers who quoted me quote me an Admin Fee. One was $299.

The Invoice Price I am looking for does not have the Navi. According to Consumer Reports (this was in December), Invoice Price is $32,017 (including the Destination Charge). But they then take out a $1,000 Holdback, dropping their Bottom Line Price to $31,017. I can't say I fully understand the Holdback, but CR is saying this is where the negotiation should begin. I would like some thoughts on what you would expect to pay for this car plus the Body Molding, Weather Mats, and Trunk Tray. Since I don't know if the Holdback exists for these dealerships, I wouldn't know if paying $1,000 more would be a rip off or not. How do you tell if they have the Holdback?

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Man you must be new to the car buying gig if you don't know about holdback! It's a VERY common tactic ALL dealer use. ALL car dealers get "holdback" so your safe in assuming that all the ones you have approached get it (that's the WAY they can sell at "Invoice" and still make money). The "BOTTOM LINE" is that the desirability of the car has to do with how much any dealer will discount any car. Of course, all dealers are going to tell you that the particular car you want is "desirable" and therefore is essentially "non-discountable". The more specific you get (color, options, etc), the less likely you will get discounts. Taking a car off a lot is your best chance of deeper discounts as is buying ONLY the last 2 or three days in the month (that's when they are trying to "make their numbers"). This is all typical sales stuff and the reality is that you will only get the discounts you negotiate. Don't EXPECT to start at invoice less holdback. Dealer may just laugh. You can always try but don't get your expectations up. Rather, take a look at what others have gotten. READ THE FORUM for these previously placed post. Few are going to respond directly to your simple thread. DO YOUR OWN FRIGGIN HOMEWORK and you will do fine. READ, READ, and read some more.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Year-to-date sales for the TL are down around 20% from last year, so now should be a pretty good time to buy. A non-nav TL has a MSRP of $33,625. Edmunds.com tell us the invoice is $30,848 for that car. Add the destination charge of $670 and you have $31,518. That would be the figure at which I would start. That would leave the dealer his 3% hold back plus the $229-$299 "Admin fee" for a total of about $1100. And there may be additional hold back that we don't know about because of the current slow TL sales. Dealers are often quite happy for an$1100 gross profit deal.

I read an article a while back, I don't remember where, that pointed out that car dealers frequently lace the buying process with delays. The theory being that the more time that the buyer spends at the dealership, the more determined to buy the car the buyer becomes. So don't let them leave you sitting while the salesman pops back and forth for "conferences" with the manager. Also search this site for 2007 TL prices that others are finding.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:32 PM

2007 Acura TL (Base Model; w/o Navigation)

MSRP: $33,625
Invoice: $30,848
Total MSRP w/ Destination Charge: $34,295
Total Invoice w/ Destination Charge: $31,518
Dealer Holdback (3% of the Base MSRP): $1,008.75

What You Should Pay: Invoice or Below (Don't Pay Anything Above Invoice); I got my 2007 Acura TL w/ Navigation for a little more than $200 below invoice back in December 2006. I also got free all-season floor mats, wheel locks, and trunk tray thrown into the deal. You could probably get the all-season floor mats, trunk tray, and body side molding for free if you stand your ground during the negotiation process. You should aim for $31,318 or lower, including destination charge, (i.e. $200 below invoice) for your 2007 Acura TL w/ free all-season floor mats, trunk tray, and body side molding.

There are also special financing rates available until 4/30/2007:

1.9% APR
Term: 24 Months

1.9% APR
Term: 36 Months

3.9% APR
Term: 48 Months

3.9% APR
Term: 60 Months
Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by S L I C K
2007 Acura TL (Base Model; w/o Navigation)

MSRP: $33,625
Invoice: $30,848
Total MSRP w/ Destination Charge: $34,295
Total Invoice w/ Destination Charge: $31,518
Dealer Holdback (3% of the Base MSRP): $1,008.75

What You Should Pay: Invoice or Below (Don't Pay Anything Above Invoice); I got my 2007 Acura TL w/ Navigation for a little more than $200 below invoice back in December 2006. I also got free all-season floor mats, wheel locks, and trunk tray thrown into the deal. You could probably get the all-season floor mats, trunk tray, and body side molding for free if you stand your ground during the negotiation process. You should aim for $31,318 or lower, including destination charge, (i.e. $200 below invoice) for your 2007 Acura TL w/ free all-season floor mats, trunk tray, and body side molding.

There are also special financing rates available until 4/30/2007:

1.9% APR
Term: 24 Months

1.9% APR
Term: 36 Months

3.9% APR
Term: 48 Months

3.9% APR
Term: 60 Months
Thank you guys for the info. I actually sent the dealer an offer of $31k, knowing that it is way too low and wouldn't be accepted. To me, that is no different than their first offer. At the time, I had a couple of other accessories that I have since decided I do not want (Moonroof Visor, Door Edge Trim). Below is the response I got from the dealer...

**I'm sorry as it seems I really won't be able to help you. The accessories you are pricing on the Acura website are for the accessories YOU buy and install. Those prices do not include shipping or the cost of a tech from our service department to install them.

The price you offered is very far behind invoice - without any accessories, let alone adding everything. I really don't know where to begin. The price quote I sent is competitive (note: his quote was $32,700 which included Destination and Admin Fees). I'm happy to be flexible on it - but I just don't produce a price quote with that kind of mark up left in it.

If you research 2006 Acura TLs on websites like www.cars.com and www.kbb.com, I think you'll see that even a used car will bring close to your offer. Please check this out for yourself so you can see where I'm coming from. Either way, I am quite a ways off from adding all of the equipment you mentioned on an Acura TL for $31,000.00. I'm sorry I couldn't come back with a better answer than that.

If we can make something marginally over the invoice, I'd be happy to add on the accessories at cost on a vehicle out of our inventory. This is the best I can do - and I will only extend this through the end of April (as I'm not sure where our availability will be in May).

We pay about $31,668.00 for this vehicle and we have a $229 admin. fee.. Something a little over this should make the dealership happy. Then we can add on your accessories individually at their wholesale costs. If that will work for you, then we're still in business. If not, then I really have no where left to go with this.

Thank you for your email.**

I got a similar (much shorter) response from another dealer for the same quote. I decided on that number figuring I was $1,000 to low and we could hopefully meet somewhere in the middle. Having two dealers dismiss me without countering (or following up later) makes me think I need to start around $32k to be taken seriously. Forgive me, I am 23 years old and this is my first car buying experience. Learning as I go, I guess.

Thanks again for the responses...
Old 04-15-2007, 07:29 PM

The estimated dealer's cost for the 2007 Acura TL is $30,509.25 (i.e. total invoice w/ destination charge - dealer holdback). If you pay anything over $31,518 (including destination charge) you're paying too much. You can definitely get all-season floor mats, trunk tray, and body side molding for free.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by S L I C K
The estimated dealer's cost for the 2007 Acura TL is $30,509.25 (i.e. total invoice w/ destination charge - dealer holdback). If you pay anything over $31,518 (including destination charge) you're paying too much. You can definitely get all-season floor mats, trunk tray, and body side molding for free.
A lot depends on the market you're shopping. In SoCal, where the competition is much greater, it's probably possible to get a new TL for below invoice, but in the midwest, that's not always the case. We just bought a 07 TL w/Nav and paid $34K and had them throw in the tint. We negotiated for quite a awhile, and I don't think we would have gotten it for any less. I would take the quote of $31,668 (what he claimed his cost is) as his counter, see if you can get at least one accessory tossed in to close the deal, then take him up on his offer of getting the rest at their cost.

I would also question the $299 Admin fee, that sounds high. I bought mine from Hubler Acura in south Indianapolis, and their Doc Fee (Admin Fee) was only $99.00. If you're near the indianapolis area, I can recommend a good saleman, he was definately low pressure and willing to work with us on the deal.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
User-N-Abuser

NY area Acura TL w/ Nav for invoice.

I live on Long Island, NY and I purchased my TL for invoice in upstate New York and every other dealer local to me wouldn't go near my offer. I requested and eventually received TL w/ Nav plus all season mats, trunk tray and wheel locks for Invoice plus $45 doc fee, Taxes (8.625%) in Suffolk County NY which is extremely high, and DMV fees which were $129.00. It wasn't an easy negotiation either. All through email but like I said, my local Acura dealers wouldn't go near invoice, let alone the extras for free so it definitely has to do with where you are. SLICK must have 15 dealers within a 50 mile radius. New Jersey is like that, lots of dealerships to play with, I am in New York so I stayed in NY but I probably could have tried Jersey but the deal was good so I took it. Good Luck with your purchase.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Instructor

We have two Acura dealerships in Indy, the next closest is over 50 mies away. The one I bought from does twice the volume of the other, so I doubt they would have come cose to matching the price I got.