Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Tl 5at Review Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 07 Tl 5at Review Needed!

Hi can anyone with an 07 5AT TL give me a review performance wise (braking, cornering, acceleration, best and worst gears, etc) on the 07 5AT TL? I'm an aggressive driver and want to see how the TL performs under a heavy foot. Also if you have a non-navi version of the 07, are you happy with the way the non-navi center console looks? I have not seen any pictures of the non-navi 07 TL. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

also forgot to mention is it worth the extra $$ for the navi? is the navi accurate?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why dont u just go and test drive and 07 TL. That way you will have your own opinion.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 99GrnTLP
Why dont u just go and test drive and 07 TL. That way you will have your own opinion.
yeah that's easier said than done! I will leave that for last! I rather get some opinions from here first but i see that people here don't like to help out a fellow possible future member or there aren't that many 07 5AT owners . If i go to the dealer I know im going to leave with the car so i rather get some opinions from owners first before i show up to the dealer. But thanks for trying to help.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by speeddemon69
Hi can anyone with an 07 5AT TL give me a review performance wise (braking, cornering, acceleration, best and worst gears, etc) on the 07 5AT TL? I'm an aggressive driver and want to see how the TL performs under a heavy foot. Also if you have a non-navi version of the 07, are you happy with the way the non-navi center console looks? I have not seen any pictures of the non-navi 07 TL. Thanks!
I have a 07 AT, non navi TL. Braking is good IMO, not the best but far from the worst. Acceleration is great to me, but I traded out of a 4 cyl Accord, so a V6 is a step up. I love the non navi center console look. I have no use whatsoever for the Navi, other than just to mess around with so I opted to not pay the extra money on my lease. I know some people cannot live without the Navi, I don't regret not getting it. Overall, it's a great car, if you decide to go with the car be sure to inspect your paint very well before signing. I know I sound like a broken record with the paint thing if you read my other posts.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crissy78
I have a 07 AT, non navi TL. Braking is good IMO, not the best but far from the worst. Acceleration is great to me, but I traded out of a 4 cyl Accord, so a V6 is a step up. I love the non navi center console look. I have no use whatsoever for the Navi, other than just to mess around with so I opted to not pay the extra money on my lease. I know some people cannot live without the Navi, I don't regret not getting it. Overall, it's a great car, if you decide to go with the car be sure to inspect your paint very well before signing. I know I sound like a broken record with the paint thing if you read my other posts.
cool thanks, does it handle or brake better than the accord that you previously had?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:37 PM
07 WDP TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the car does handle really good for a fwd car my buddy 07 wrx dosent handle better then the tl the braking is ok imo the acceleration is not bad either i also dont have a navi dosent bother me at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Advanced

I have an 07 Non Nav. Braking is pretty good and handling is ok.

I may not be the best person to ask though because I came from a 500rwhp sports car that had a lot of suspension work done to it.

I did not want to have Nav because I thought it was a lot of money up front that I didn't want to pay. I don't regret my decision at all. You will be happy with the car.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not really qualified to answer this since I have an '07 TLS (includes navi) and I have a 6MT....but I gotta say you should test drive all the trims before you decide on which one you're going to buy. Nothing worse than getting in a friend's car and saying "I sure wish I had bought my car with these options". Find out for yourself which model serves you (and your budget) best.

My take on your questions based on the TLS 6MT: The suspension (and thus the handling) on the TLS is awesome...brakes (Brembo) are incredible (but the OEM pads generate a lot of brake dust). And the Navi...is rated among the best there is. I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would and never get tired of it or distracted by it. I love it and think it's worth every penny. Now if only I could remember all 43,987 voice commands....
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I'm not really qualified to answer this since I have an '07 TLS (includes navi) and I have a 6MT....but I gotta say you should test drive all the trims before you decide on which one you're going to buy. Nothing worse than getting in a friend's car and saying "I sure wish I had bought my car with these options". Find out for yourself which model serves you (and your budget) best.

My take on your questions based on the TLS 6MT: The suspension (and thus the handling) on the TLS is awesome...brakes (Brembo) are incredible (but the OEM pads generate a lot of brake dust). And the Navi...is rated among the best there is. I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would and never get tired of it or distracted by it. I love it and think it's worth every penny. Now if only I could remember all 43,987 voice commands....
cool thanks for the help! I like the TLS a lot too! but am going 5AT so I don't know if there's a big difference in power compared to the base TL 5AT.

well guys i'm now open to take review on the type-s too!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^
Base TL: 258 HP / 233 lbs-ft Torque @ 5K RPM
TLS: 286 HP / 256 lbs-ft Torque @ 5K RPM

You bet there is a difference you can feel. The TLS has a completely different engine (derived from the RL).

And yeah the TL-S is available with 5AT...and it has paddle Shifters on the steering wheel in the TLS.

I wasn't even interested in the 5AT so I never drove one, and I can't comment on how it performs in the TLS.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Acuras Only in

I am kind of hesitant to voice my two cents since I have a type-S and you were asking for base 5AT. Like ChicagoBurbs pointed out in his post, the added power def. justify the extra few grand, not to mention the better handling, F1 style paddle on the wheel, race-car type seats, quad pipes, etc ... the engine assisted break is very evident in the type-s and handling is very responsive.

i know your fear exactly: I tested drive the type-s and sold on it right away; drooling after it for two months and finally got it last month ... LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shooter
I am kind of hesitant to voice my two cents since I have a type-S and you were asking for base 5AT. Like ChicagoBurbs pointed out in his post, the added power def. justify the extra few grand, not to mention the better handling, F1 style paddle on the wheel, race-car type seats, quad pipes, etc ... the engine assisted break is very evident in the type-s and handling is very responsive.

i know your fear exactly: I tested drive the type-s and sold on it right away; drooling after it for two months and finally got it last month ... LOL
is yours a 5AT? if so hows power in all gears? i heard that in fourth gear the TL dies? is this true? hows off the line accel?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Instructor

cool thanks, does it handle or brake better than the accord that you previously had?
Yes it does everything better than the Accord, my Accord was a 2007 as well.
My complaints have nothing to do with the car being a base w/o navi. My main complaint in the WDP mismatch, but I'm not alone. Other than that I love the car (minus my bad luck with paint chips and everything else that could happen). I would pick this car again, just a different color next time. Its likely I'll lease another one when this lease ends and I probably would not get the navi because I do not need it. Your best bet is a test drive in both and then take a few days to let it sink it. No impulse buying (I did that with the Accord!)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Advanced

I have the 07 TL with Nav. 5AT. My other car is a 4 cyl. accord, so big upgrade from my old one. Braking is good with the TL; even with the base TL, you can feel the engine assisted breaks. Cornering is good too; I drove aggressively when I test drove one car before I bought one and it holds pretty well during corners. There seems to be a little delay with the acceleration though. I pressed the gas really fast once and I was expecting instant power but didn't get it. No problems with the gears. My biggest problem is its gas mileage. Coming in from a 4 cyl. it was a big adjustment to me on how much gas this thing drinks. Oh well, I love driving the car and I'm still excited to drive it everytime. And I love the navi; it's very helpful and it's good to have. I think it's worth the money. I hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Acuras Only in

is yours a 5AT? if so hows power in all gears? i heard that in fourth gear the TL dies? is this true? hows off the line accel?
Mine is a 5AT and so far power is plenty in all gears IMHO. In gear 4, you can drive 70 still under 3 or 3.5k RPM; in gear 5 will drop RPM to about 2k. So far I only raced a few times from the light, haven't got beat yet .. LOL ... you would be surprised how a gentle giant turns into a beast when your right foot step on that gas paddle.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

the Acura navigation is very intuitive and easy to use, from my experience it is much more intuitive and accurate than Lexus (just a frame of reference). But you should see what your needs really are because it sounds like you want something that's decently fast and if you didn't absolutely need the navi, why not use the difference towards a Type S?

Also, since you are concerned about performance...the Brembos on the Type S make quite a bit of difference.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by realfresh
the Acura navigation is very intuitive and easy to use, from my experience it is much more intuitive and accurate than Lexus (just a frame of reference). But you should see what your needs really are because it sounds like you want something that's decently fast and if you didn't absolutely need the navi, why not use the difference towards a Type S?

Also, since you are concerned about performance...the Brembos on the Type S make quite a bit of difference.

Good luck
well the type-s already comes with navi so i'll need to use the difference + more $$ than a base TL, but from my research it seems like its worth it since it comes with a lot of extra features. next is a test drive. hopefully i'll be happy with that!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

Type-S with AT here.

Love the car and it has plently of power. I came from a 2004 V6 Accord. The TL is way faster. Braking and handling are great, but I am not really an aggressive driver so I don't push it to the limits. (However, the acceleration has helped me avoid an accident when someone came into my lane as I was exiting a parkway ramp!!!

On the Navi. I love it. I used it last night to help me find my wife's doctor's appointment. It is very easy to use and I had no problem setting it up. Voice commands are only so-so but they are really not necessary since the layout of the button controls are so good. (I looked at the Infinity M35 and I couldn't even turn on the radio!!!

Good Luck