3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 TSX or 06 TL? Overall, are you happy with your TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 TSX or 06 TL? Overall, are you happy with your TL?

The title pretty much says it all. I've driven the 05 TSX a couple of times and had my heart set on getting an 06 TSX. Recently, I've begun to think that I should also look seriously at the 06 TL. I plan on driving a TL next week when I go to Denver. Here's a list of my considerations:

Handling-Sounds like the TSX is more of a "driver's car." Honestly, I don't care that much, as long as either car handles well in normal driving. I don't plan on pushing the car hard around turns and so forth. Incidentally, the car I get (TSX or TL) will be 5AT/navi, so I don't need feedback on how smooth the 6MT is.
Styling-I'm really not into the nuances of which one looks "more refined" or "more aggressive." I think both look good. I'm 52, married, and don't care which of the two cars will attract more chicks.
HP-I really don't care. I've driven the TSX, it has plenty of power for me. I'm not opposed to more HP, as long as it doesn't come at a significant sacrifice to MPG.
Fuel economy-Both sound like they get decent MPG, especially in highway driving.
Price-Definite advantage to the TSX, although both cars seem to be a good value.
Comfort-This is very important to me. I'm 6'2" and like to stretch out. Although the TSX is smaller, I still felt comfortable in it. I want to be really comfortable when I take a long trip to Texas or Las Vegas.

Quite frankly, I'm a little concerned about quality issues on the TL after reading the posts under problems & fixes. I know that the people who post there are doing so because they have a problem or complaint. Therefore, you don't hear from those who are really satisfied with their TL. I also know that some people have unrealistic expectations and gripe when something isn't perfect.

I'm posting this in the TL forum because I want your honest feedback and recommendations, based upon what I've stated to be important to me in making my decision. Overall, are you happy with your TL? Would you do it over again?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:10 PM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by munchcolo
The title pretty much says it all. I've driven the 05 TSX a couple of times and had my heart set on getting an 06 TSX. Recently, I've begun to think that I should also look seriously at the 06 TL. I plan on driving a TL next week when I go to Denver. Here's a list of my considerations:

Handling-Sounds like the TSX is more of a "driver's car." Honestly, I don't care that much, as long as either car handles well in normal driving. I don't plan on pushing the car hard around turns and so forth. Incidentally, the car I get (TSX or TL) will be 5AT/navi, so I don't need feedback on how smooth the 6MT is.
Styling-I'm really not into the nuances of which one looks "more refined" or "more aggressive." I think both look good. I'm 52, married, and don't care which of the two cars will attract more chicks.
HP-I really don't care. I've driven the TSX, it has plenty of power for me. I'm not opposed to more HP, as long as it doesn't come at a significant sacrifice to MPG.
Fuel economy-Both sound like they get decent MPG, especially in highway driving.
Price-Definite advantage to the TSX, although both cars seem to be a good value.
Comfort-This is very important to me. I'm 6'2" and like to stretch out. Although the TSX is smaller, I still felt comfortable in it. I want to be really comfortable when I take a long trip to Texas or Las Vegas.

Quite frankly, I'm a little concerned about quality issues on the TL after reading the posts under problems & fixes. I know that the people who post there are doing so because they have a problem or complaint. Therefore, you don't hear from those who are really satisfied with their TL. I also know that some people have unrealistic expectations and gripe when something isn't perfect.

I'm posting this in the TL forum because I want your honest feedback and recommendations, based upon what I've stated to be important to me in making my decision. Overall, are you happy with your TL? Would you do it over again?

I was also considering the TSX before I bought my 05 TL last October. Went with the TL because I wanted a bigger car. You are 6'2", im only 5'10" and I thought the TSX was a little small for me. As for gas milage, you will do better with the TSX since its a 4 banger. Either choice, you are getting a good car. You cant beat the price for the amount of car you are paying for. Good Luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

My personal taste is what pushed me completely away from the TSX. I decided all the little nuances that made them different pushed the TL over the edge, and I bought it.

The TL has a few extra gadgets but moreover it's more fun. (Although having the aspec package is a large part of that).

Test drive both, play with the toys of both, and decide if the TL is worth more to you. It was for me.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Pro

I drove them back to back...I first went looking at the TSX and decided to try the 6MT TL while I was there just for fun. The TSX was completely out of consideration when I returned from the 2nd test drive, and I bought the TL some months later. No regrets. My best friend has the TSX and whenever I'm in it, I'm so glad I spent the extra money for the TL.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i had originally had a tsx in mind because of the sleek looks and the fact that it has great performance for being a 4-cylinder car while being very conservative in the gas department. but the day i went to go lay down a deal for it i saw a tl decked out in the aspec kit and was literally blown away. an impressive engine with great gas and an agressive stance. i couldn't let it slip away so i chose the tl instead. im completely happy with everything except the leather seat issue, which im sure is an issue with tsx owners also.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove the TSX and TL at the test. I loved both, but I chose the TL which I am VERY happy with. It turns heads, is comfortable, fast, sporty and makes me proud to own.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Go with the TSX if acceleration w/5AT is sufficient for you; mileage is better than the TL. I looked at both, but my wife cannot yet drive a manual 6 speed, so I ended up with 5AT TL instead of 6-speed TSX. I prefer the size of the TSX, as I'm 5-9 and 165lbs., but the TL has more attractive exterior of the two.

I would have no difficulty choosing the TL 5AT over anything else available right now for $45K or less. Then again, I would have no difficulty choosing TSX 6-speed over the G35, 3-series, Accord and everything else either if my wife had no issues with a stick shift.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Munchcolo:

2005ASpec got to the heart of the matter: Drive both, back to back -- twice if you have to -- and decide which is better for you. If you're comfy in the TSX size-wise, great, 'cause your MPG will be better -- though TL does really well for a powerful 6-cyl. TSX is definitely more nimble, but both handle quite well, especially with a tire upgrade.

It might be that the better sound, more room, more gadgets, "heavier" and smoother ride of the TL may put you into one. You're 52; do you have grandkids? Will 4 adults ever ride in your sedan? They could in a TSX, but they'll be better off in a TL.

TSX obviously saves you some money, too, but we already covered that.

I went with the TL after starting on the TSX because I needed more room for the wife and kid (and maybe more!). Plus, a few times a year the car is sort of a taxi, picking up visitors with luggage and maybe kids too so more room is essential. I love my TL and don't regret my decision in the least. I am not one to cry "Lemon" with a few minor issues. There are things I like on my TL's interior where I don't like the way the same feature was implemented in my sister-in-law's Lexus ES330 (2005), so to say Lex is always better is just a matter of opinion -- wait, that was another thread! And I digress.

Drive, Play, Drive again, Decide. From your requirements, it sounds like you couldn't really go wrong with either one. And let us know what you did!!
Old 09-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I too was considering the TSX before I got my TL.
Several things stopped me from doing it.
1. It'll never be a TL, so I could regret not getting what I really wanted.
2. Didn't come in the exact color combo I wanted.
3. It is just another 4cy car. I use this for trips mainly and I already have 2 other 4cy cars.
4. Nav wasn't/isn't(?) an option on them.
5. Sound system of the TL's magnitude wasn't offered.
6. Bluetooth
7. Still don't see many on the road despite them selling the heck out of them.

Couldn't be happier with the choice that I made.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading your pros/cons, it sounds like the TSX is the right car for you. I own a TL but have driven a TSX for a day (service loaner) and quite honestly, I was pretty impressed with the handling. It was more agile than my TL but the power, features, space etc. that the TL has over the TSX, leaves me with no regrets.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

I drove both a TSX and a TL and chose a TL because I found it to be more comfortable. I'm about 6'3" with wide shoulders, so I found the TSX a little bit on the small side (came over from an MDX).

Honestly, I also like the V6 on the TL rather than the 4 on the TSX, but I guess I'm kind of an automobile elitist!

Overall, I liked the TSX a lot, though- I would have seriously considered it had it been a bit bigger.

But for the money, I'd go with a TL- I like a lot of the features, personally.

Either one is sure to be a great car!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 92NSX
I too was considering the TSX before I got my TL.
Several things stopped me from doing it.
1. It'll never be a TL, so I could regret not getting what I really wanted.
2. Didn't come in the exact color combo I wanted.
3. It is just another 4cy car. I use this for trips mainly and I already have 2 other 4cy cars.
4. Nav wasn't/isn't(?) an option on them.
5. Sound system of the TL's magnitude wasn't offered.
6. Bluetooth
7. Still don't see many on the road despite them selling the heck out of them.

Couldn't be happier with the choice that I made.
Nav only was not an option on the 2004 Canadian TSX. For 2005 on it is. For 2006, Blouetooth and memory seats are standard in the TSX, plus it gets an hp bump, shrinking the gap between the TSX and TL to 53hp difference.

That said, the TL is a more comfortable car and has much more torque (this matters if you plan to load the car up with multiple people. The 5AT TSX gets really bogged down when you have 4 people in it. The TL shouldn't).

The TL also has a bit of a softer feel to the ride, at least without A-SPEC. Another thing to note is the seats in the TL are wider laterally. If you have broad shoulders the TSX seats might bother you on long trips. I fit perfectly fine in them, but I'm 5'8" and 160lbs. The TL also has a bit more interior details than the TSX (less harder plastic used, more locations with leather trim or chrome trim).
Old 09-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Well guys he said an 06 TSX which pretty much as all the extra tech features of the TL albeit the DVD 5.1 Audio system. As said above: Bluetooth, Memory Seats, extra power etc. is included on the 06 TSX so that shouldn't be an issue. Honestly, it's all up to you and as the guys said before: drive them back to back, but from the looks of it the '06 TSX seems to be your best bet since you don't care about power and the extra gas mileage should help(when I drive I usually have fully loaded car). I am 6'3" and the TSX fits me and my passengers very well.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Choosing between a TL and a TSX is really about what you want in a car.

I have a TL because I wanted a V6 and a higher level of luxury. Honestly, I sat in the 04 TL when it came out and immediately said, "I want this car!" That's the only time I've done that in a new car.

The TSX just doesn't do it for me. When I bought my 03 Accord Cpe V6 6MT, I looked at both a TSX and an RSX. I really wanted a 2-dr at the time, so I really focused on the RSX Type-S, which I came close to buying. I eventually chose the Accord for the V6, the larger back seat, and the curtain air bags, though I bet that if the RSX had had the curtains, I would've gotten it. At the time, I thought the TSX was okay and handled well, but I thought it was way underpowered. Besides, it was a 4-dr with a 4-banger--not what I wanted.

I've recently driven a couple TSX loaners--low mile cars that are less than a year old and both with 5ATs. I'll admit that the car was quicker than I expected and extremely tossable. Fun to drive, but in a very different way than my TL. But I have to say that I wasn't impressed by how well the interior materials have held up. Awful actually. And after a week with one, I couldn't help but feel the car seem to slot between a Civic and an Accord--not in the same league as the TL. In fact, it really reminded me of a rental car, albeit a good one--a car that's great to borrow but not a car I'd want to own. After glancing at its MSRP in the showroom, I concluded that it was overpriced.

The TSX needs the refreshing it's getting for 06. I hope they put the money in the right places.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTPlease
Choosing between a TL and a TSX is really about what you want in a car.

I have a TL because I wanted a V6 and a higher level of luxury. Honestly, I sat in the 04 TL when it came out and immediately said, "I want this car!" That's the only time I've done that in a new car.

The TSX just doesn't do it for me. At the time, I thought the TSX was okay and handled well, but I thought it was way underpowered. Besides, it was a 4-dr with a 4-banger--not what I wanted.

I agree 100%. At 53 I suspect you have had a number of high strung 4 Cyl. cars; I know that I have. These are the major decision points that I see. A friend went and bought a TSX a few months ago. When I questioned his wife about how she liked it, she confided that she is to wide for the seats.

Only other consideration is mountain driving if that's an issue. No substitute for cubic inches and horsepower. Otherwise they are both great cars.

My 05 has a little over 13,000 miles. I have had one small electronic problem that was promptly fixed by the dealer. October Consumer Reports has an excellent article about why not to buy any first year model change car including Honda and everyone else. The majority of problems that you read about here are from first year cars and they are typical for all cars. The one exception is the automatic transmission with all Honda 6cyl cars.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Instructor

I drove the TL first then the TSX. I was seriously considering the TSX at the time. (both were 5AT) Honestly im not super worried about HP but the difference between the TL and TSX is huge and the MPG of the TL is great considering the amount of power you have on tap.

I honestly think its worth the extra money to move up a notch to the TL.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Racer

Would I get a TSX over a TL - no. Would I buy the TL if I knew then what I know now - no.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm posting this in the TL forum because I want your honest feedback and recommendations, based upon what I've stated to be important to me in making my decision. Overall, are you happy with your TL? Would you do it over again?[/QUOTE]

You should be concerned about quality... The quality of acura has slipped over the past few years and this is all coming to light in mags and this forum. Some people get upset and say oh yeah other car companies have the same issue. Either way when you are totally objective, I would be concerned about it. I have had a few acuras including a 2g and 3g. The 2g had two trannies and I got rid of it because I was concerned that I would end up paying for the 3rd. The 3G has had rattle and brake issues. And some say all cars rattle. Not so...

Acura will cost you in tires and brakes, so you have to be prepared for that. If you expect 45k of trouble free driving with no brakes and tires needing replacing, I would say that the TL is not going to provide this. 17 inch 45 series HI-perf tires are prone to wear faster and cost more. If you live in place with snow and potholes, then be prepared to replace one each year from road hazards. Or getting another set just for winter driving.

Sure the car has lots of toys and is the "best bang for the buck" but that can be an issue since when you wring out all the costs you can in producing anything, you typically have issues with reliability of those parts or of the build process in general.

Where you are in life is another thing... If you want to have a car that is moderately priced that provides good service this car may or may not be it. I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I owned a camry v6 and while it might not handle as well as the TL, it was certainly the most reliable car I ever owned and I kept it for 200,000 miles. Every 50K it needed tires and brakes which was ok. If that is what you expect, then get something else.

The 2g tl offered more to people in 99.. More power, comfort, and sportiness and was a great alternative to the maxima which was the 4 dr sport sedan icon of the day. I had one and put on 48K until the trade and never did anything but oil changes and air filters. The S model came along and so did tire issues since the profile dropped from 60 to 50 and rim size from 16 to 17. An increase in price came along as well. The stock tires had soft side walls. The new TLs have 45 series tires. These are probably lower than any competitor in the stock configuration. The G and BMW all have 55 series unless you go for some sport package.

The S needed premium gas where the original 3.2 could run on middle with no performance hit. Compression on the 3.2 was 9.8:1 then 10.5:1 (S) and now 11:1. Sure there are knock sensors and all but I for one was not one to test whether a car would run on regular grade gas.

The TLs and CLs I have owne did feel solid compare to the maxima I drove. The last one I test drove was a 2000 model and it felt tinny to me. It was always a decent car but after being in the TL the maxima did not feel as good to me.

So you are left with the choice of what to get ... Tough call. If you are looking at a smaller car the Scion sport coupe looks nice and can be customized. There is mazda as well. I did have a tsx as a loaner and it was a decent car it did not have the performance of the TL but it handled very well. Insurance for acuras tend to be about 20% more as well.

I wouldn't mortgage my butt on a car like some people do that borrow money for 5 or more years just to get in one and then cry each time someone parks too close to the car. As with any major purchase, there is some risk involved. The warranty is no substitution for a car that was built well. Who needs to go back all the time for nagging issues regardless of if it is covered on warranty and the dealership and techs use their talents and skills at isolating a rattle here and there. To some it is impressive to me it is a pain since it is trial and error and as they do their best, you really cannot bark at them.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:58 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

You know asking this question here ?..well it's a TL forum, ask over at the TSX forum and I bet you will get a different opinion on the subject...lol
Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I test drove a new TSX along with a few manual trans TL's, and one auto trans TL.

I liked the TSX, but the TL was MUCH quieter and smoother under all
conditions.
If you want to do longer drives, quiet and smooth become very important.

The MPG difference is about 1 or 2 I think, which is somewhat amazing.

There seemed to be big differences between the manual and auto trans TL's,
at least in the ones we test drove (wife and I).
The manual trans TL seemed to be much quieter and smoother, partly
because the auto TL might be set up to rev the engine up more under
normal driving to take advantage of the power curve which peaks
way up in the rpm range.

Overall I am happy with the car, the engine is sweet, the 6 speed manual
makes the car fun to drive, its fairly quiet, and the drivetrain is smooth.

The ride is not real smooth, is more to the sporty side than I would have
made it, but it does go around turns very well.

Its been totaly reliable so far, and has no rattles or dash fade.

I am not really happy with the car, mostly because it lacks so many nice features
other luxuer cars have, or even non luxury cars have.

No rain sensing wipers,
No good trip compuer display,
Doors you can open from the inside without unlocking them,
No alarm activation beep,
No 8 way power passenger seat,
No power fold rear view mirrors,
No fold down rear seats,
No radio with buttons instead of menues you must scroll through,
It does not keep the radio on till you open the door (with key out),
No day time running lights,
No auto headlights,
No 12 volt outlet in the trunk,
No height adjustable center arm rest,
No REAL wood trim,
The TL does not have leather that looks good for 10 years,

My last car (Passat GLX) had all those things plus what the TL DOES have,
for less money.

Unfortunetly, the Passat was broke all the time....

So I guess I got the best reliable car for the money.

Brett
2005 TL 6MT
Old 09-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Another thing to consider for us taller guys...

Sure you can stretch out in either the TL or the TSX. But when you do, how much room is in the back seat? My kids can get in the back seat of the TL when I am driving. Can people get in the back of the TSX when you are stretched out? Or do you have to move the chair up until you are uncomfortable when someone gets in the back? I couldn't get my kids into my BMW 330 without cramming my legs up into the dash. In the TL, I don't have to move the seat.

You may not have any kids left to worry about, or may not ever have anyone in the back seat. Just something else to consider.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Certified Hater

The TSX was way too small for my liking (and I'm only 6'3" 215) consequentially, that is the exact same reason I didn't go for the G35 coupe... way too small, the TL is very comfortable both for legroom and on your sides

Other factors were the HP difference between the TL & TSX and the DVD-A along with the HFL

Whatever you purchase, I'm sure you will be pleased. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Cold Racketeer

Originally Posted by Brettg

Overall I am happy with the car, the engine is sweet, the 6 speed manual
makes the car fun to drive, its fairly quiet, and the drivetrain is smooth.

............[sic]

I am not really happy with the car, mostly because it lacks so many nice features
other luxuer cars have, or even non luxury cars have.

No rain sensing wipers,
No good trip compuer display..........[sic]
huh?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm 5' 11" and am most comfortable at the farthest seat settting.

TL doesnt lack features, for its price it can't be beat. Sure an s600 will wipe your ass with whatever type of TP it feels is most effective, but thats a little higher on the price level.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tzakiel
huh?
What I should have said is the car will do, but its not my dream car.

I traded some NICE for reliability....

Brett
Old 09-29-2005, 04:01 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Handling-Sounds like the TSX is more of a "driver's car." Honestly, I don't care that much, as long as either car handles well in normal driving. I don't plan on pushing the car hard around turns and so forth.
TSX
Wash, its subjective
TL
TSX
TSX
TL

Looks like the TSX covers more of what your looking for to me.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Racer

Absolutely not happy because:
1) Acura is a royal pain to work with
2) TL has more rattles than a baby rattle
3) Dash looks like someone spilled ash over it unless you repeatedly apply some specific products to it
4) 1800acura should be changed to 1800acuradoesntgiveadamn
5) Subwoofer busts easily and repeatedly
6) Rattles and um did I forget to mention, rattles?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

A note from a silently satisifed TL owner...I considered both the TSX and TL at one time. I'm probably older than the majority of people on this board (mid 30's) and the TL is probably oriented for a more "mature" crowd, like me. Maybe that's why I bought it?

Anyways, I'm very satisfied with the quality, features, and price of the TL. I had numerous 4 bangers in my liftime and an Acura CL V6. The new TL has been a great car to drive and I haven't had one single problem with it in the 7 months that I've had it.

The only small downside with the TL has been the slightly lower than expected gas mileage. I've averaged about 22-23 mpg overall since buying the car over ~7K miles. That said, the majority of my miles are driven in weekday traffic going over the Bay Bridge and through San Francisco every day which definitely lowers the mileage. However, on the open freeway I can manage about 30mpg at 75-80 with my 5AT.

Most definitely the people with problems make themselves heard over those that are satisifed with the car - whom I belive are in the vast majority but have no reason to post since we're out enjoying our cars too much to post here.

In your situation, I'd recommend the TL if you can handle the lower gas mileage than the TSX in urban traffic/street siutations. I'm fairly sure you'll be fine on the reliability side since most Acuras are problem free, like my current and previous ones. Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I slow down for COPS

Thumbs up Love it

I love my TL and have no regrets.

Does it have some issues? Yes, milky dash for example. But I put some teatement and it will look good for weeks. I wash and pamper my TL often than that. So it is not a big deal.

It is a car, all of them will have issues. Have you visited a Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche and other dealerships before? They all have service dept. full of cars.

Did I say I love the car? Yes, I DO.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

I am also mostly happy with the TL short of the rattles.

So far they have fixed a center speaker rattle, window rattle, headliner rattle, sunshade rattle (driver), and not they still have to fix the moonroof rattle and passenger seat.

They're getting them done, it just sucks that they have to do them in the first place.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:08 PM
eel
9th Gear

So I took the easy way out - I have both!

Bought a 2004 TSX Mercury Silver 5AT two years ago.
Bought a 2005 TL Abyss Blue 5AT two days ago.

The TSX is my car and the TL is my wife's but I get to drive both. Wonder how many 3G TL and TSX owners are out there. Sounds like I should start a new thread...