Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 TL vs 91 Taurus SHO

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 TL vs 91 Taurus SHO

Coming home from work i'm on the highway overtaking another car at 120 km/65mph. Not paying much attention just cruising down the freeway all of a sudden i look up in my rear view and i see a car right up my ass. I have AT so i switch to sport shift and downshift to 3rd. I pull to the right now that ive overtaken that car. I'm not sure what it was reving at but all i remember is he's coming upto my bumper and i punch it too and he slowly comes up to the driver door and we're side by side. I have the AEM CAI and i could here his engine over mine , sounded like a blender as he pulled right up beside me. He couldn't pass we were about even but i was SHOCKED. He looks over and smiles, then he slows down to about 100 and i did too cause of oncoming traffic. After traffic clears up he pulls up beside me again around 90 ish, this time i downshift to second. The TL's reving at about 5000 RPM, he puts 3 fingers up and starts counting down. . .3,2,1...i floor it and this time i pull about 1.5 car lengths and he flashes to slowdown. We exit at the same and i pullinto the gas station. He follows me in and fills up his car, he starts telling me that yamaha made an engine geared up to a 5 speed manual tranny, i think made by mazda. He said it was car & drivers sedan of the year in 91 or somethign and it runs up to 60 mph in about 6.6! HOLY I look in his engine bay and it looked bone stock...nothing! TL was victorious but i never thought it would put up such a battle. . .
Old 08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
Ford Taurus SHO specifications/information

Go easy out there.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, you can't knock the SHO man. i had a 93 SHO, 4sp auto. alot of mods. MAF sensors, chips, intake P&P, short ram air, port matched the heads. that car was quick. i used to race modded 99 maxima 3.5s and stay dead even with 2 other passengers in the car. even in stock form, in 93 when it came out the yamaha 3.2L was making 220hp, 215tq, which is impressive for that time. it had a two stage intake with vacuum acutated second stage runners. gave the car a nice kick at 4k RPMs, kinda like the way VTEC does. the car was loud too. i loved it. the engine was top notch and still purred when i had 105k miles on it. yamaha knew their shit. the ford accessories constantly crapped out though.

did you get to look at the intake manifold? they're fucking beautifully designed.

yeah the 3.0 came mated to a 5sp mazda tranny. the 3.2 came mated to the 4sp ford tranny (which was also used in mazdas actually). and you guys think the TL trannies are bad, when the SHO trannies failed they usually shot the diff pins through the casing with a loud "BANG".

yeah in stock form the MTX SHO can hang with alot of cars. there's a shop out west that does custom S/C for 400hp applications. a few guys out there are running them with 5sp MTXs with quaifes. they're no joke. not sure how many of them are left these days though....some guys even did a RWD conversion using parts from rangers and windstars or something.

they were pretty luxurious when they came out in the early 90s. distributorless ignition, two-stage intake, self dimming headlights, 8 way driver/pass power leather seats, moonroof, 17inch alloy rims, speed sensitive steering.

the v8 SHOs were worthless though.

i'll still take my TL though

SSTS