Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05AT Trans drive delay when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05AT Trans drive delay when cold

Probably discussed somewhere, but I haven't located it. My 05AT recently hit 100k & a trans issue may be starting. I've noticed that when the car is first started, and I put it in drive, there is a several second delay before the trans engages. I can even rev the engine a couple times & then it finally catches. Problem only happens the first time I put it in drive when cold. Won't repeat anytime afterwards.

Took it to the dealer and as I expected(not particularly impressed with this dealers service) they claimed nothing was wrong. Service rep went so far as to say he's seen brand new TL's do this. I'm very concerned since its never happened before and I fear its just the first sign of the tranny heading out. There is also now a high-pitched whine coming from the trans when cold, when in neutral or park. Goes away when I shift in gear and also goes away when warmed up. Doesn't sound like a gear whine, but more like perhaps a high pitched buzz.

If I can get some documentation from somewhere that shows this is NOT normal, I can likely get it fixed under warranty. My warranty expired at 100k, BUT...I had the car in for this issue just prior, so it's documented & they'd then have to honor it I imagine.

HELP!

Any bulletins I can show the dealer?
Any Acura techs out there that can shed light on this?

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Between the noises and the fact that both problems go away when it warms up, it's probably low on fluid. Add some fluid, you can even overfill it 1/4" to 3/8" on the dipstick without hurting anything.

You should not be able to rev it before it engages. That is entirely too long.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you think thats bad, i almost got into an accident with my moms 2007 grand cherokee when i shifted in reverse then started revving while the car was rolling forward (on a flat plane). then luckily it shifted into gear at the last second. if it didnt shift i would have ended up rear ending a parked car, lmao.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Between the noises and the fact that both problems go away when it warms up, it's probably low on fluid. Add some fluid, you can even overfill it 1/4" to 3/8" on the dipstick without hurting anything.

You should not be able to rev it before it engages. That is entirely too long.
Fluid is already slightly high. I've been diligent about changing the fluid as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

I wonder if the torque convertor is draining back when it gets shut off.

One way to test, have the hood up, engine running, and be ready to pull the dipstick. Shut the engine off and immediately check the level. Check the level the next morning before you start the car. If the level is signifigantly higher the next morning, the TC is draining back into the "pan".
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I wonder if the torque convertor is draining back when it gets shut off.

One way to test, have the hood up, engine running, and be ready to pull the dipstick. Shut the engine off and immediately check the level. Check the level the next morning before you start the car. If the level is signifigantly higher the next morning, the TC is draining back into the "pan".
Tried your test, but inconclusive. The level was actually slightly higher when just shut off. Any chance this could happen if the trans is overfilled with fluid? Cold the level is approx. 3/16" above the upper mark. Just after warm shutdown it's approx. 1/4" above.

Guess I need to take it to another dealer & see if their techs are any brighter than my original dealer. Perhaps if they think I'm actually paying for the repair, they'll magically discover a real problem.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Swanny05TL
Tried your test, but inconclusive. The level was actually slightly higher when just shut off. Any chance this could happen if the trans is overfilled with fluid? Cold the level is approx. 3/16" above the upper mark. Just after warm shutdown it's approx. 1/4" above.

Guess I need to take it to another dealer & see if their techs are any brighter than my original dealer. Perhaps if they think I'm actually paying for the repair, they'll magically discover a real problem.

It's not a drainback issue. It would be an inch or more higher after sitting overnight. What you saw is normal from hot to cold.

I run mine half an inch high all the time and no problems. You could run into aeration but that would show up after it's been running for a while, not when first started.

I've seen your symptoms when the filter is plugged or installed incorrectly in a traditional trans with a pan and removable filter.

There's rumor that our transmissions have a small external filter on the side of the case that is not servicable and is not listed in most parts drawings. It may be a place to start. I believe it was "Bearcat" on here that discovered it.

Have you drained it and looked at the magnet to see if there's debris in there?

Good luck, keep us informed. I'm curious what the problem is.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Well, my evil plan worked! To recap....took my TL to the dealer I bought it from while it was under warranty and they claimed nothing was wrong. Within a day or so, I reached the mileage limit on the extended warranty(100k). Yesterday I dropped it off at a different Acura dealer & intentionally left out the fact that if a problem was found that it should be covered by warranty since it was reported while covered last week. Well, wouldn't you know it......NEW TRANNY NEEDED!!! They noticed the hesitation, AND say the oil was dark & burnt. They went on to let me know the new tranny would be $2889.41, but that Acura would cut me a break & pay half. It was at that point I revealed my evil plan & informed them of the warranty issue from last week. I just faxed them the report from the other dealer & they're going to review the info. BUT....I expect nothing less than Acura covering the cost in full under warranty.

So-moral of the story-avoid Montgomeryville Acura's service department. And KUDOS to Bridgewater Acura! (perhaps I should wait on the Kudos until I find out if they're going to take care of this)
Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

That's awesome. Hope they take care of you. It's funny how it's not noticable until they may get your cash.