Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 TL vs. STi

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 TL vs. STi

I was driving home today and I saw a blue STi in my rearview mirror. I slowed down and pulled into the right lane. He pulled along side of me, we went from about 25-90mph he was a little behind me at the start but he didn't pull on me at all. We were dead even until 90mph. When we came to a stoplight I gave him a thumbs up but I think he was pretty pissed because he had his girl in the car and he didn't beat me. I was pretty proud of the TL for hanging with an STi. By the way, I have an AEM cold air intake, comptech exhaust, 19in konig wheels, and a comptech short shifter.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice. But it was a Fluke.

That kid in the STI can't drive stickshift most likely.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Racer

I highly doubt it was a fluke. We did not race from a dig!!!! If you knew what you were talking about then you would know that an STi is not that fast unless you go from a dig. Had we raced from a dead stop he would have beaten me easily. I know this because I have raced several STi's and Evo's.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
All the way to redline

Originally Posted by TLdriver022
I highly doubt it was a fluke. We did not race from a dig!!!! If you knew what you were talking about then you would know that an STi is not that fast unless you go from a dig. Had we raced from a dead stop he would have beaten me easily. I know this because I have raced several STi's and Evo's.
Plus they have to abuse the car like hell to get those good launches..
Old 03-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Dude, what are you talking about? I'm telling you this because I know for a fact that you cannot CONSISTENTLY beat an STI in your Non Type-S TL even if it isn't from a dig. Especially at the speeds you stated. At higher ends on the highway, I'd be more entitled to believe it. But from 20 mph, I highly doubt it.

BTW, this comes from a former 06 STI owner. SO yeah i know something about STi's. And without a Supercharger, I doubt you'd be able to beat EVERY Sti out there with your Intake and whatever other minor bolt ons you have.

I don't care if you've raced many STi's, you've raced a bunch of people who don't know how to drive stick shift. The 07 TL-S is the most powerful TL to date and even those have a hard time with the STI from a low mph dig.

I take it that you dont have a 6 speed? You didn't state it in your post, so I doubt it. I find it even harder for an Auto non Type S TL to have beaten an STI with a competent driver.

SO if you knew what you were talking about, then you wouldn't say that STi's and Evo's are not that fast in the lower speeds.

If you can consistently beat an STI, you can beat an Evo. And don't get Edroe started on that... cause he'll agree with me, you beat the driver, not the car.

Psh. Not that fast. I hope you're talking about your TL.

BTW: Before the STI I had a boosted BB6. So yeah, I know something about imports...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Here, why don't you read this thread before you think you can beat STi's from a roll at 25 mph.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153814

The TL in that thread was Supercharged.

Psh. I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Dude, what are you talking about? I'm telling you this because I know for a fact that you cannot CONSISTENTLY beat an STI in your Non Type-S TL even if it isn't from a dig. Especially at the speeds you stated. At higher ends on the highway, I'd be more entitled to believe it. But from 20 mph, I highly doubt it.

BTW, this comes from a former 06 STI owner. SO yeah i know something about STi's. And without a Supercharger, I doubt you'd be able to beat EVERY Sti out there with your Intake and whatever other minor bolt ons you have.

I don't care if you've raced many STi's, you've raced a bunch of people who don't know how to drive stick shift. The 07 TL-S is the most powerful TL to date and even those have a hard time with the STI from a low mph dig.

I take it that you dont have a 6 speed? You didn't state it in your post, so I doubt it. I find it even harder for an Auto non Type S TL to have beaten an STI with a competent driver.

SO if you knew what you were talking about, then you wouldn't say that STi's and Evo's are not that fast in the lower speeds.

If you can consistently beat an STI, you can beat an Evo. And don't get Edroe started on that... cause he'll agree with me, you beat the driver, not the car.

Psh. Not that fast. I hope you're talking about your TL.

BTW: Before the STI I had a boosted BB6. So yeah, I know something about imports...

He said in his post that he has a comptech short shifter, so he obviously has a 6MT. Also, a stock 6MT ran 14.664 @ 96.54 here, so it's not inconceivable that he kept up with an STi from a slow roll, because the STi would have started in 2nd and he probably started in 1st, so he gains a slight advantage over the STi there.

You are right though, the STi is good for mid 13s stock, so it would be very tough for any non boosted TL to keep up with an STi, but it is plausible, although I'd agree with you he beat the driver and not the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Here, why don't you read this thread before you think you can beat STi's from a roll at 25 mph.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153814

The TL in that thread was Supercharged.

Psh. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yeah his TL was A/T, though so I'm sure he would've done much better if he was M/T not that it means a stock TL M/T would beat an STi, but I'm just saying.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Congrats! Not your problem the guy can't drive a stick... I would of loved to hear him explain the loss to the girl.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Racer

Its like basketball, the ball is round and it can roll in either direction.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I think it's believable, that STi could've been stock and it was also carrying one more person. Who knows, but may be both the driver and the girl in the STi are pretty heavy. And may be that driver of the STi didn't rev it up before engaging the clutch and so he lost a bit of advantage there. Then that TL in the race is 6MT, and is mildly modded, and perhaps he is a good driver too. All of these really add up in the end.

But of course, a STi will no doubt beat a 6MT TL if the driver is competent. I've seen them run high 12's stock.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

I agree. I think it's believable that a TL could beat an STi. But my point was it was a fluke because he happened to run into a driver that most likely couldn't drive. It's his comment that:

I highly doubt it was a fluke. We did not race from a dig!!!! If you knew what you were talking about then you would know that an STi is not that fast unless you go from a dig.
STi's not that fast unless you go from a dig? STi is plenty fast in the lower speeds.

Now you talking about acceleration from 60 Mph and up, I'll admit it, the v6's start to show their upper end power.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I CAN BEAT REGULAR WRX NOT STI's THOUGH. MY CAR IS IN THE 13's too
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Ive Fried The Hell Out Of Evos And Sti's Stock..and Even Beaten Some Modded 1's Now I Admit Ive Had Some Show Me Whos Boss But They Were Fuckin Nice Cars And Extremely Boosted