3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 TL, 20k miles - grooved rear rotors and pads already ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 TL, 20k miles - grooved rear rotors and pads already ?!

Car's in for a oil change and checkup. I'm was surprised to hear the rear rotors are badly grooved and need replacement. Can't even re-cut them. Pads are gone too as you'd expect.

Is this normal wear? Seems very unusual to me.

The dealer has agreed to replace the $350 parts under for free if I pay $240 for labor. I went for it. They will send me digital pics of the removed parts since they have to send them back to Acura for inspection. Is this reasonable?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Why do they have to send them back to Acura if you are paying for the labor? If it was under warranty and you weren't paying anything, then I could see them sending them back, but this doesn't sound right.

The labor charge also seems excessive. Depending on the labor rate this is about 3 hours labor. All that is needed to change the rotors is to remove the wheels, remove the caliper, remove the spindle nut, and then remove the disc. Sounds like a one hour job to me.

The rear brake caliper lists for $90 each, and that is the only part that would need to be replaced, so the parts cost is also excessive.
005 42510-SEP-A00 DISK, RR. BRAKE DRUM IN 2 2005 TL 90.25 72.20

Click here for the Parts List

Old 09-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron A
Why do they have to send them back to Acura if you are paying for the labor? If it was under warranty and you weren't paying anything, then I could see them sending them back, but this doesn't sound right.

The labor charge also seems excessive. Depending on the labor rate this is about 3 hours labor. All that is needed to change the rotors is to remove the wheels, remove the caliper, remove the spindle nut, and then remove the disc. Sounds like a one hour job to me.

The rear brake caliper lists for $90 each, and that is the only part that would need to be replaced, so the parts cost is also excessive.
005 42510-SEP-A00 DISK, RR. BRAKE DRUM IN 2 2005 TL 90.25 72.20

Click here for the Parts List

one hour per wheel maybe...ihad my brakes fully replaced on my other car just a couple months ago...i sat there waiting for like 5 hours in their shop... they replaced two calipers, two rotors, and a set of drums and shoes....
Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I dont think you should have to pay for shit, its clearly shitty rear calipers that caused the grooving and odd wear in the rear rotors and pads. Make acura pick up the full bill!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
03 TLS -> 06 Anth Navi MT

The rear brake caliper is the same on MT and Auto correct? Which do you have Rabney? I would be shocked if I got hit with this news. I sold my 2nd gen TL-S to avoid fixing the warped rotors.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Yea there the same rear calipers, unfourtuantly they should be brembos as well.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabney
Car's in for a oil change and checkup. I'm was surprised to hear the rear rotors are badly grooved and need replacement. Can't even re-cut them. Pads are gone too as you'd expect.

Is this normal wear? Seems very unusual to me.

The dealer has agreed to replace the $350 parts under for free if I pay $240 for labor. I went for it. They will send me digital pics of the removed parts since they have to send them back to Acura for inspection. Is this reasonable?
Some of the 3rd Gen TL have problems with the rear rotors getting excessively rusted and grooved in a short time. I had the same problem as you have and both rear rotors were severely corroded and grooved at 36,000KM (22,500miles).

My dealer replaced both rear rotors and the brake pads for free provided I have a brake maintenance service (Clean brakes, re-lube critical areas, re-assemble)done on my car since it was never done. They charged me $89.00CDN for this service and installed $377CDN worth of parts for free as they say it would be easier for Acura to accept warranty.

The mechanic told me that this is seen only on some of the 3rd Gen TL rear rotors and that Acura is aware of it. They just don't have a firm policy and let the dealer manage it.

I think that your dealer got greedy by charging you $240 in labour as most of it is covered by Acura.

In my case, $89.00 for the brake preventive maintenace was a good investment(Should have been 50% of that for the front, but I never argued as the car never gets it's regular maintenance at the dealership.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

frenchnew
Old 09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

What parts did they replace? That sounds like pads, rotors and maybe a caliper rebuild. Was a piston sticking? The time sounds right, probably out of the Motors book. They did a split with you which is not uncommon. You did get 20,000 miles use, but you're having to replace a lot more stuff than would be normal, hence participation.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NC Silver
What parts did they replace? That sounds like pads, rotors and maybe a caliper rebuild. Was a piston sticking? The time sounds right, probably out of the Motors book. They did a split with you which is not uncommon. You did get 20,000 miles use, but you're having to replace a lot more stuff than would be normal, hence participation.
See my post above;

Some of the 3rd Gen TL (2004 to 2006) are showing up with badly croved and rusted rear brake rotors.

Nothing wrong with the brake calipers according to the mechanic who worked on my car at the Acura dealership.

There are rumours that there might have been 2 different suppliers for the same exact parts (Rear Rotors) and some of them are rusting and getting groove badly.

The last time I saw brake rotors in this condition was on 1985 VW GTI which was 4 years old (60,000 miles) mostly highway with very little heavy braking over that ime period.

Acura is aware of the problem but as decided to let the dealers handle it on an individual basis instead of having a blank warranty coverage.

For myself, I was surprised that the Service Mgr did not even take 10 seconds after taking a look at my rear rotors that he would apply warranty.

I have seen horror stories in the late 1980's with Toyota's needing front end brake part replacement with not even 15,000 miles and Toyota would not do it under warranty at that time.

Best regards

frenchnew