'04 TL Transmission- no decel in low range

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 11:05 PM
2nd Gear

'04 TL Transmission- no decel in low range

Hey everyone,

A little background. This is my commuter, so I have racked up some miles. 311K or so. I had 3rd gear issues and about every mount was going bad, so it was time to swap some parts. In addition, this was a factory reman that the previous owner replaced at around 90K miles. It has always had very slow engagement from park or neutral into reverse or drive. I chose to do the Accord V-6 BAYA swap.

The only change I had to make was swapping out the position switch harness, but I did use my original switch just in case there could have been any issues. The new to me transmission shifts great and functions perfectly in drive. It engages from park and neutral as it should and I can manually shift 2nd through 5th with no issues. The problem is engine braking on decel in Low range only. I use this alot. Daily. As I am in lots of low speed traffic, it makes driving a bit easier.

The transmission works great in every other range. I have 1st from a dead stop. It downshifts at the right mph to 1st in drive and just braking. It will hold 1st/ Low in the Low position from a dead stop. But, under decel, from any speed, it will downshift to 2nd as normal, but when the 1st/ low downshift should be commanded, it feels like it drops to neutral and the rpms go to idle speed. If I step on it, when the rpms exceed the speed that would typically be at that range, it grabs and takes off.

So, only on decel in Low is where the problem is at. I have adjusted the range switch per the factory service manual, which I have as well. But have been unable to find this answer. I am hoping someone has come across this and maybe it's just a solenoid or something easy. I have the original transmission and all of it's sensors to pull from. I can swap parts, but thought I would try to find the exact cause for diagnostic purposes later on.

No codes, leaks, noises, ect. If it's in the FSM, I can't find it.

Sorry to be so long winded, just trying to be as complete as I can.

Thanks for any help that you might have.
Old 10-04-2024 | 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Slow engagement and low rpms make me think it's a hydraulics issue with the trans.

At low RPM's the atf pump may not be providing enough flow for the torque converter to stay locked or hydraulics to be at the right ranges. I suggest replacing the filter and checking the "banjo" bolts that feed fluid to the trans for debris too that might be restricting flow. I think the FSM may have ways to check the pressure to see if they are in range.

It also could be a worn valve body in the trans causing fluid pressure to leak off internally. Sonnax makes a few parts that can solve the issue such as this:
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2756-ov...ator-valve-kit

Last edited by csmeance; 10-04-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2024 | 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
Slow engagement and low rpms make me think it's a hydraulics issue with the trans.

At low RPM's the atf pump may not be providing enough flow for the torque converter to stay locked or hydraulics to be at the right ranges. I suggest replacing the filter and checking the "banjo" bolts that feed fluid to the trans for debris too that might be restricting flow. I think the FSM may have ways to check the pressure to see if they are in range.

It also could be a worn valve body in the trans causing fluid pressure to leak off internally. Sonnax makes a few parts that can solve the issue such as this:
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2756-ov...ator-valve-kit

I appreciate the suggestions.

I do have 1st at proper up and downshifts per the manual. And it will hold first from. Stop in Low range.

I plan to do pressure testing tomorrow as I have all that equipment. I am also going to probe all the solenoids for resistance values. I don’t have the Honda diagnostic tool, so I’ll have to work with what I have got.