3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Tl stuck in 2nd gear...anyone with same problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Tl stuck in 2nd gear...anyone with same problem???

wats up guyzz?

The other night i was driving home from work and i used the sport shift for alittle then put it back in regular mode...then i punched it to get around another car and noticed that the car was still in second gear and wouldnt shift to 3rd or 4th...then i put it sportshift mode and tried to tap it up to 3rd but it wouldnt go...it was still in 2nd...then i put it in Neutral and let the revs drop then i put it back in drive and it started shifting normal...i dont know what the helll happened...just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem?...i have an appointment thurs with the dealer..lets see what happens...btw its a 04 automatic tl..thanks guyz

Travis
Old 12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
it should be under the recall notice sent out.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acuracy
wats up guyzz?

The other night i was driving home from work and i used the sport shift for alittle then put it back in regular mode...then i punched it to get around another car and noticed that the car was still in second gear and wouldnt shift to 3rd or 4th...then i put it sportshift mode and tried to tap it up to 3rd but it wouldnt go...it was still in 2nd...then i put it in Neutral and let the revs drop then i put it back in drive and it started shifting normal...i dont know what the helll happened...just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem?...i have an appointment thurs with the dealer..lets see what happens...btw its a 04 automatic tl..thanks guyz

Travis
My 04TL did exactly the same thing one time during the first week I had it. It never happened again.

-r
Old 12-06-2004, 01:11 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by subinf
it should be under the recall notice sent out.
The recall does not cover a stuck gear!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Intermediate

I had the same problem when I first received my TL. I had about 200 miles on it at the time. One night I was at a red light when a BMW 5 series wanted to race me. I punched the car and it wouldn’t go into 3rd gear. It just revved in 2nd. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the front catalytic converter was bad so they replaced it. At around 1000 miles the same problem happened again It turned out to be the second catalytic converter went bad. They replaced that one also. The TL only has three and the 3rd one haven’t gone bad yet. Just as long as they can fix it and no money comes out of my pocket I’m fine with that.. You should also get a couple of complementary oil changes and Car washes for your time.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nurse
I had the same problem when I first received my TL. I had about 200 miles on it at the time. One night I was at a red light when a BMW 5 series wanted to race me. I punched the car and it wouldn’t go into 3rd gear. It just revved in 2nd. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the front catalytic converter was bad so they replaced it. At around 1000 miles the same problem happened again It turned out to be the second catalytic converter went bad. They replaced that one also. The TL only has three and the 3rd one haven’t gone bad yet. Just as long as they can fix it and no money comes out of my pocket I’m fine with that.. You should also get a couple of complementary oil changes and Car washes for your time.
THANKS guyz for the replys...but NURSE...which dealer in new york did u go to...i usually go to Smithtown Acura....and about the recall notice...i didnt get anything..what does the notice say??..thanks

travis
Old 12-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm skeptical that a bad catalytic converter would cause that specific problem, and only that problem.

-r
The following users liked this post:
Jeremy Foshee (08-21-2022)
Old 12-06-2004, 12:51 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember having that problem once or twice during the first few weeks. Hasn't happened since and I use SS about 80% of the time - I would have gotten the 6sp, but then my gf wouldn't be able to drive it. So, yeah, maybe I should have gotten the 6sp.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:28 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

THANKS guyz for the replys...but NURSE...which dealer in new york did u go to...i usually go to Smithtown Acura....and about the recall notice...i didnt get anything..what does the notice say??..thanks

travis
The recall was about the second gear not getting enough oil lubrication, potentially causing it to dry up and chip after intense heat. If I remember correctly, this only affected the first 14,500 or so TLs. (04 VINs up to that number)
Old 12-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by acura_driver
I'm skeptical that a bad catalytic converter would cause that specific problem, and only that problem.

-r
i was thinking the same thing..Does the "cat" have anything to do with the tranny or what gear it gets into or changes into?...cause i never heard of it but im goin thursday to the dealer lets see if its the same problem...all you guyz have had this problem early in the ownership...ive had my tl since march and it now has 11000 miles...was i overdue for it?....
Old 12-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Myself and a few others had posted a few months ago about a similar problem.. under heavy throttle, the SS mode ignores the 2nd to 3rd shift until you let off and do it again. Granted this prob is a bit different where it failed to shift at all.. but I wonder if it's not just a progression of the same problem.

And not nice that it does it to 2nd gear which already has a lubricating/cooling issue, talk about compounding the issue.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sherlock
Myself and a few others had posted a few months ago about a similar problem.. under heavy throttle, the SS mode ignores the 2nd to 3rd shift until you let off and do it again. Granted this prob is a bit different where it failed to shift at all.. but I wonder if it's not just a progression of the same problem.

And not nice that it does it to 2nd gear which already has a lubricating/cooling issue, talk about compounding the issue.
Sherlock,

Have you had the recall taken care of?..If so how long was the down time and what did they change to fix the problem??.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the recall for the 2nd gear oil-jet issue, it was just a 1 day fix. They said they opened it, mine hadn't shown any bluing so they installed the jet and gave it back.

I don't know of any other recall for the 2nd gear non-shift issue. My 2000 TL did it in exactly the same manner as well. They'll deny it to the end.

Hence why right now, i'm done with Honda/Acura once I get rid of this TL.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro

I had the recall for the 2nd gear oil-jet issue, it was just a 1 day fix. They said they opened it, mine hadn't shown any bluing so they installed the jet and gave it back.

I don't know of any other recall for the 2nd gear non-shift issue. My 2000 TL did it in exactly the same manner as well. They'll deny it to the end.

Hence why right now, i'm done with Honda/Acura once I get rid of this TL.
i was thinkig the same thing...maybe when i get rid of my tl i might go german...maybe an s4 or m3..depending on style at the time.... or maybe another sport sedan like the 545...but im thinking about trying the germans...i just love the way the cars handle....

Travis
Old 12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has nothing to do with the trans. but there is a PCM update for the 04 Tl, the update has to do with the 02 sensors or LAF sensors reading lean.
Usually your engine light would be on though.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I have no engine light come on when it ignores the 2nd-3rd shift, it's just the computer ignoring my request to shift. They need to fix the programming in the SSS mode.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

travis
I went to Paragon Acura in Long island city. The service guy said it was just one of those things. I asked him have anyone else reported this problem and he said no. (which I expected him to say) He said there will not be a recall until an overwhelming amount of inquieries are made. My check engine light also went on
Old 12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro

well guyzz...i jus got back from the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong with the car....they said everything was perfect and no one else has had that problem....and my car didnt have any recalls...i dont knoww...i guess i hope it doesnt happen again...

Travis
Old 12-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

call it into corporate.. I was told by them that the dealers will always say "we've never heard of it" until piles of the same calls are called into Customer Care. If you have the issue, call it in so that CC can get enough of them. If you know someone on here has called it, tell them that, hang them, make them know you know it is an issue.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:39 PM
someone elses Avatar?????

happened to me to got stuck in 2nd gear, only once though
Old 12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro

call it into corporate.. I was told by them that the dealers will always say "we've never heard of it" until piles of the same calls are called into Customer Care. If you have the issue, call it in so that CC can get enough of them. If you know someone on here has called it, tell them that, hang them, make them know you know it is an issue.
yeaa..thats a good idea...and looking at this topic it had happened to many more people than i thought...i will call them and let them know that it happened to numerous ppl on this board...thanks sherlock for that idea...never thought of it..

Travis
Old 12-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Racer

Don't know if this is the same or not,but I have posted several times about my car not wanting to shift to the next gear when I'm doing around 35-40 and trying to accelerate...it just rev's for a few seconds then shifts and I can go again...dealer could not duplicate the problem...I wonder if this is the same ? I also had another incident a week or so ago where I was in 1rst or 2nd gear ...and it felt like it totally was skipping for lack of a way to describe this ... I hate this- every little tug or anything causes me to panic ...

"literally I drive in a panic "I have had severe transmission problem's in the past with an 03 acura and this scares me to no end ! But the dealer not being able to duplicate the problem , is a real problem !

In the mean time I just have to drive in a state of panic ,which is totally redicilous ,but that's the situation I am in. Please keep us updated ....I have seen another poster here recently who had their 04tl transmission replaced due to this ,luckily for him the service dept actually duplicated his problem and it was fixed with a new tranmission ...I hope the transmissions have been recently designed so that WHEN mine goes I'll get the new design and maybe will be able to drive without being filled with tremendous anxiety !

This should not STILL be an issue ,but apparently it is ..mine now has 27k miles and I first noticed these problem's at around 20k miles.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by That Girl
Don't know if this is the same or not,but I have posted several times about my car not wanting to shift to the next gear when I'm doing around 35-40 and trying to accelerate...it just rev's for a few seconds then shifts and I can go again...dealer could not duplicate the problem...I wonder if this is the same ? I also had another incident a week or so ago where I was in 1rst or 2nd gear ...and it felt like it totally was skipping for lack of a way to describe this ... I hate this- every little tug or anything causes me to panic ...

"literally I drive in a panic "I have had severe transmission problem's in the past with an 03 acura and this scares me to no end ! But the dealer not being able to duplicate the problem , is a real problem !

In the mean time I just have to drive in a state of panic ,which is totally redicilous ,but that's the situation I am in. Please keep us updated ....I have seen another poster here recently who had their 04tl transmission replaced due to this ,luckily for him the service dept actually duplicated his problem and it was fixed with a new tranmission ...I hope the transmissions have been recently designed so that WHEN mine goes I'll get the new design and maybe will be able to drive without being filled with tremendous anxiety !

This should not STILL be an issue ,but apparently it is ..mine now has 27k miles and I first noticed these problem's at around 20k miles.
I know what you mean about driving in panic...since this happpened to me im afraid to even push it....but i think the problems are alittle differant...at least your TL shifted...mine didnt wanna shift at all..if i kept going it would jus bump off the rev limiter..but i jus dropped in neutral..let the revs drop then put it back in gear...and started to shift normal...but keep u updated about ur issue...hopeflly it doesnt get worse..my tl only has 11000 miles and this started..i was hoping te tranny probles would have stopped, i jus shoulda gotten a 6 sp

Travis