Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 TL 17000 miles report

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 TL 17000 miles report

I now have 17000 mile on my '04 TL, and would like to pass on my experience with my car. My TL has been a great car. My dealer, McDaniels Acura of Charleston, SC has been great as well. The only problem I have experienced has been the well reported rear deck rattle. When I took the car in with the rattle complaint, Cindy the service writer had a loaner waiting for me. The loaner was a '05 TL with Nav. I now wish I had the Nav system in my car, and I would also say without hesitation that the Michelin tires on the '05 are superior to the Bridgestone's I have. I plan to put Michelin PS A/S on my car as soon as the Bridgestone's wear out. The tech, Pat took care of the rattle. She also replaced the RR strut which she said was making some noise as well. I am happy with the brand and the model, and the dealer.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info......
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Lucky you.. living in Charleston, SC. I love South Carolina.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear of another satisfied customer, I have to admit some threads scare me into thinking I may not have made the right decision(we order in 2 weeks!!!).

On a side note, how is Paris Island? I get to go in 3 years.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Bobz

Cool 15000 Mile Report

Originally Posted by Bhawk
I now have 17000 mile on my '04 TL, and would like to pass on my experience with my car. My TL has been a great car. My dealer, McDaniels Acura of Charleston, SC has been great as well. The only problem I have experienced has been the well reported rear deck rattle. When I took the car in with the rattle complaint, Cindy the service writer had a loaner waiting for me. The loaner was a '05 TL with Nav. I now wish I had the Nav system in my car, and I would also say without hesitation that the Michelin tires on the '05 are superior to the Bridgestone's I have. I plan to put Michelin PS A/S on my car as soon as the Bridgestone's wear out. The tech, Pat took care of the rattle. She also replaced the RR strut which she said was making some noise as well. I am happy with the brand and the model, and the dealer.
Likewise my '04TL has had no problems other than the driver visor rattle which has been reported numerous times by others, and having all four of my rims scratched now due to low profile tires and rim design. The dealer tells me I only have 4/32 tire thread left after 15000miles which doesn't seem right. He told me low profile tires don't wear well. Don't know if I believe that or not, but I will not be getting Bridgestones again. Either Michelin or Yokohama. I don't use the bluetooth technology even though I have a bluetooth phone. I also don't take much advantage of DVDaudio technology since there just isn't enough music in that format to buy. But I do like the XM radio. The major complaint I have with TL is fwd and lack of torque. I don't really feel like I'm driving a 270hp car, because of the lack of acceleration away from stoplight. There is no question that Acura makes a quality car. But make sure you can live with fwd and lack of torque.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Glad to hear of another satisfied customer, I have to admit some threads scare me into thinking I may not have made the right decision(we order in 2 weeks!!!).

On a side note, how is Paris Island? I get to go in 3 years.
Parris Island is HOT in July and August. Try to avoid these months. If you can't, bring sun screen and plenty of bug spray!!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Parris Island is HOT in July and August. Try to avoid these months. If you can't, bring sun screen and plenty of bug spray!!
Paris Island was hot in September and October also..LOL I arrived down there the first week in August(were talking seven years ago), and it was plenty hot and the humidity was unbelievable. What they did, with us northern boys, is they kind of keep us around not doing too much for about two weeks, to get us acclimated to the temperature that time of the year. Then the sh$t hit the fan, but we got sort of used to it.
It was much the same during the iraq war. They put us in Kuwaiit and we trained hard there for about two months(granted it wasnt the hottest time of the year), but with full battle gear and nbc suits it was still unbelieably hot. But it prepared us and got us aclimated, till we went in with the first wave.
By the time June and July came around the temps on the ground or in our tent, would climb as high as 145. That is not a misprint. Even the bugs would try and crawl underneath you, or into your shadows to cool off. I will never complain about high 90 degree temps ever again. If you think it gets hot in california, or arizonia, believe me, it can go up dramatically worse then that. You have no idea, till you actualy experience it.

Thanks flatfoot
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would also say without hesitation that the Michelin tires on the '05 are superior to the Bridgestone's I have. I plan to put Michelin PS A/S on my car as soon as the Bridgestone's wear out.
How much tread do you have on your EL 42's ? I have 17,000 miles as well and my tires are going BALD!!! I would be lucky if I can push them till around 21,000...
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Instructor

I don't really know this, but I bet he has no choice as to when he "gets" to go. Since he is currently 15 years old and he "gets" to go in 3 years, I would say he is joining the USMC.
Am I right crazymjb?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by scrb09
How much tread do you have on your EL 42's ? I have 17,000 miles as well and my tires are going BALD!!! I would be lucky if I can push them till around 21,000...
My tires are wearing suprising well. I have rotated them twice. My loving wife won't let me replace them until they are bald. I know, I know don't say it .
Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

My tires are wearing suprising well. I have rotated them twice. My loving wife won't let me replace them until they are bald. I know, I know don't say it .

Your wife is lucky. My wife very, very rarely gets to drive mine. Me being a complete anal jerk gives her the motivation to finish nursing school next spring and hopefully get the new RDX that supposedly coming out.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
I only have 4/32 tire thread left after 15000miles which doesn't seem right. He told me low profile tires don't wear well. Don't know if I believe that or not, but I will not be getting Bridgestones again. Either Michelin or Yokohama.
Note to everybody - Hi performance low profile tires are generally made of a soft rubber compound that does not wear well. I don't doubt that the BS tires are not good but I don't think we can expect more than low 20K life for most similar tires. Put it down as operating cost for performance cars.

Nice to hear about more (mostly) trouble free cars.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
Likewise my '04TL has had no problems other than the driver visor rattle which has been reported numerous times by others, and having all four of my rims scratched now due to low profile tires and rim design. The dealer tells me I only have 4/32 tire thread left after 15000miles which doesn't seem right. He told me low profile tires don't wear well. Don't know if I believe that or not, but I will not be getting Bridgestones again. Either Michelin or Yokohama. I don't use the bluetooth technology even though I have a bluetooth phone. I also don't take much advantage of DVDaudio technology since there just isn't enough music in that format to buy. But I do like the XM radio. The major complaint I have with TL is fwd and lack of torque. I don't really feel like I'm driving a 270hp car, because of the lack of acceleration away from stoplight. There is no question that Acura makes a quality car. But make sure you can live with fwd and lack of torque.

Hmmm the rims are scratched because you are driving too close to the curb. As for brand of tires... Get something that has a tread wear of 400 and you might stand a chance of keeping them on the car for 45,000 miles.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Low Profile tires don't last that long at all. From my previous experiences and with my other friends, some of the new Michelin PS2 tires in the 18, 19 and 20 inch brand only last about 7K - 15K MAX. The 7K number is there for the people who drive fast and aggressive. They are the best though. I haven't upgraded yet as I have once again become a starving student. Actually, even worse, I'm trying to become a pilot.

Check them out at: TIRERACK