'04 Timing Belt/Water Pump/Coolant - Non Acura

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011 | 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

'04 Timing Belt/Water Pump/Coolant - Non Acura

My son is having his timing belt, water pump and coolant changed at a NAPA service center. His '04 has about 108K on the original. The reason for the NAPA service is cost - about $300 less. They are using NAPA parts and I am assuming coolant - life time warranty on belt and water pump. Even though the parts are not OEM, should he still use Honda/Acura coolant? I know non-OEM coolant can be an issue for the water pump, but are there other parts, like the radiator that could be affected by non-OEM coolant? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2011 | 10:07 PM
Safety Car

yeah non oem coolant might contain silica. lol Just pay the 35 bucks for 2 gallons of OEM stuff.

Just wondering besides cost couldn't you just bought the OEM stuff and have them do it. Just seems kinda of odd that they offer lifetime warranty on wear and tear item.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 06-28-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2011 | 05:59 AM
Racer

As long as it's made for an aluminum engine you're ok, I've used non OEM coolant for years on Honda products, no problems whats so ever.
Old 06-28-2011 | 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

The timing belt is only warranted for the recommended replacement interval, not lifetime like the water pump.
I see no problem with the Napa coolant as long as the Honda coolant is completely drained from the system before the Napa is used.

From what I've read the Honda antifreeze uses organic no silicate or borate, but when aftermarket is used never encountered a problem, although the Honda bulletins would want to make the customer leary about using anything other than a Honda product, but that certainly doesn't hold any water on this site, can I say ATF.
Old 06-28-2011 | 11:20 AM
Pro

Its lifetime on the belt and water pump, but your going to have to pay for the labor again.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackkpts
My son is having his timing belt, water pump and coolant changed at a NAPA service center. His '04 has about 108K on the original. The reason for the NAPA service is cost - about $300 less. They are using NAPA parts and I am assuming coolant - life time warranty on belt and water pump. Even though the parts are not OEM, should he still use Honda/Acura coolant? I know non-OEM coolant can be an issue for the water pump, but are there other parts, like the radiator that could be affected by non-OEM coolant? Thanks!
jackkpts,

I've used non-OEM coolant before in my RSX and have yet to encounter a single issue. Furthermore, my girlfriend's ridiculously anal-retentive father exclusively uses non-OEM coolant in his TL and hasn't complained about any issues arising from it yet. Your son should be fine!

Out of sheer curiosity, do you mind if I ask how much your son paid for the water pump? My gf's dad recently bought an OEM Acura TL water pump from acurapartswarehouse.com for about $100 (which I think is pretty reasonable) but I'm always willing to hook him up with better prices if they're out there

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2011 | 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nick337
Its lifetime on the belt and water pump, but your going to have to pay for the labor again.
Better check the NAPA site again:
Timing Belt Replacement Guide Warranty

NAPA Belts/Hose Timing Belt Warranty Statement

All NBH timing belts are manufactured under tight quality controls. In the event of failure due to defects in materials or workmanship, however, Gates will replace timing belts that are proven to be defective if failure occurred within the timing belt replacement interval recommendation specified by Gates or the original equipment vehicle manufacturer..............

Originally Posted by techtalk
jackkpts,

Out of sheer curiosity, do you mind if I ask how much your son paid for the water pump? My gf's dad recently bought an OEM Acura TL water pump from acurapartswarehouse.com for about $100 (which I think is pretty reasonable) but I'm always willing to hook him up with better prices if they're out there
Rock Auto has them $41 through $95, and a 5% discount code can be used so $37/$90.

Last edited by Turbonut; 06-28-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2011 | 06:12 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I'd typically go with all OEM parts for a timing belt/water pump job since you're dealing with internal intregal moving engine components, but NAPA has minimum quality standards for their parts so it's probably safe to say you're OK with them. Make sure they change out the hydraulic tensioner too.

As for the coolant, make sure it's the long life stuff similar to the Honda brand.

Where are you located? If you're in the Northeast, Hamilton Honda in NJ will do the job for under $500 OUT THE DOOR including parts & labor. You'd get an experienced mechanic who's done 100's of these before who knows his way around every bolt, screw, and fitting of these cars.