Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04/06 TL chalky dash condition

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04/06 TL chalky dash condition

Hi all, I am trying to fing more people with 04-06 Tl's with chalky/film dash condition. My local dealer basically gave me some honda cleaner and leather treatment chemical that worked a little bit for a short time. Acura corportate has told me there is nothing more I can do...

I live in Texas and got the car in Florida so I know warm weather has more of a affect on these dashes.

I have contacted a lawyer about a class action lawsuit....So anyone with feedback, experiences good and bad, dash replacement ? please feel fee to let me know...

Thanks so much.....
Old 06-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Racer

This is a common problem that has been addressed by almost all 3G TL owners. It seems that most are content with the results obtained by using 303 products to alleviate the faded dash problem. Here is a link to a more recent thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=dashboard

It seems to work better than the stuff Acura uses to clean and protect the dash. Try it out to see if the results are more satisfactory than Acura's products.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 PM
5th Gear

Thanks so much for the info. ...For me the ive tried two diff products three times now and for the money ive paid for this car I should not have to deal with it. I was told by several dealers the issue will resurface even with new dash. I just cant believe other people in warm weather states have not had frustration and or class action lawsuit with this issue......
Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
You can also get some vinyl protectant at REI. I've used one for the last year from them. I use it on everything inside the car. I even used it on the bumpers of my wife's CR-V, shined them up nicely. I picked it up at the store. I can't remember the name, it's in my trunk and my car isn't here. But it's used for camping equipment and such. It's in a little black bottle.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by ATX 05 TL w/navi Auto
Hi all, I am trying to fing more people with 04-06 Tl's with chalky/film dash condition. My local dealer basically gave me some honda cleaner and leather treatment chemical that worked a little bit for a short time. Acura corportate has told me there is nothing more I can do...

I live in Texas and got the car in Florida so I know warm weather has more of a affect on these dashes.

I have contacted a lawyer about a class action lawsuit....So anyone with feedback, experiences good and bad, dash replacement ? please feel fee to let me know...

Thanks so much.....
Yeah, good luck with that.
Say you get a new dash. Then it'll rattle, and in a year or two more, it'll look the same as the one you have now.
Just follow the directions in the link.
That, and don't sue me if it doesn't work.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
5th Gear

well i have and it still does not work.....and im only going to sue the manufacturer that sold me this 35k car....lol
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Choose your battles. Most of us have decided that there are more pressing issues. How does your car run? I would be more upset if my bumpers didn't match the car. But that's just me. Hope you find a solution you can live with before you pop a gasket.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM
5th Gear

choose your battles...LOL....well i guess some of you folks are not use to owning luxury cars, or you are ok with defective vehicles or you let dealers tell YOU what to do.... yes its cosmetic and the car runs perfect and i love it. but everytime i get in the car and see this film on the dash and the dealer tells me i have to live with it i cant believe it. the car is always garaged and only has 12k miles on it......

the solution will be new dash and or turn it in at the end of the lease.......
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Mine was chalky from day one (naive me thought it was just some left over coating from the manufacturer...stupid, I was too excited about the car). Anyway, I put some 303 on several months ago after reading about it on this board and it I haven't had to touch it up once since. Still looks fantastic...better than the day I brought the car home .
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

Thanks so much.....
Many recmmend the 303 stuff, I didnt; like it, I use the Acura provided cleaner and conditioner. It works well and has a low lustre. The dash is one of the few really annoying thins with my 07 TL. What shocks me more about Honda is they knew of this problem and have not done anything about it in the 06 or 07, you would think they could have redesigned the materials by now. I have owned a bunch of cars and never seen anything liek this dash issue before. You would have to think it woudl have shown up during the prototype stages of dev. I mean my 07 is doing it within 5 months and I use a sun shade when the car is parked and I only got it in Decmeber 06.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Racer

I believe there is a picture of before application and after application of the 303 products somewhere on the forum (if not in the link I posted earlier). I will try to look for it when I get home. I am not too concerned about the dash for the time being simply because after an application of the protectant (I use meguiars) it looks good as new. If there were cracking and such then I would be more concerned
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by KeithL
Many recmmend the 303 stuff, I didnt; like it, I use the Acura provided cleaner and conditioner. It works well and has a low lustre. The dash is one of the few really annoying thins with my 07 TL. What shocks me more about Honda is they knew of this problem and have not done anything about it in the 06 or 07, you would think they could have redesigned the materials by now. I have owned a bunch of cars and never seen anything liek this dash issue before. You would have to think it woudl have shown up during the prototype stages of dev. I mean my 07 is doing it within 5 months and I use a sun shade when the car is parked and I only got it in Decmeber 06.
yes exactly is my point about how honda has known about this prob and it still is going on...i know i can keep putting a soulution on the dash even though my car is garaged all the time except when im driving it and its not the end of the world....but acura should be compensating folks or buying these cars that for some reason cant get fixed with the various products.....
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
9th Gear

At least I'm not the only one having this problem. I love my 06 TL, but the dash has always made me crazy. I asked for help on the autopia.org site, and they recommended both seeing an Acura dealer and also cleaning the dash with Griot's Interior Cleaner. I've also heard that diluted Woolite will clean it well. (One part woolite to 10 parts water, approx.) Then top with a UV protectant like 303. I'll give it a go, but I hope Acura will just fix the problem in the future, for all the 08s and beyond!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

choose your battles...LOL....well i guess some of you folks are not use to owning luxury cars, or you are ok with defective vehicles or you let dealers tell YOU what to do.... yes its cosmetic and the car runs perfect and i love it. but everytime i get in the car and see this film on the dash and the dealer tells me i have to live with it i cant believe it. the car is always garaged and only has 12k miles on it......

the solution will be new dash and or turn it in at the end of the lease.......
Luxury car prices START in the $50's so IMHO the TL is not REALLY a luxury car. While the dash may not be a dark as I'd like, neither myself nor 95% of the other TL owners have any issues with it. When properly maintained (i.e. 303 or like kind), it looks pretty good to me. Did you buy yours used and the prior owner neglected it or something?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Didn't read all posts but here's my recommendation - aerospace 303 or get a sun shield thing to block the sun off the dash.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

On a different car that was really bad, (a '96 Mazda)
I used a dilute solution of simple green with a soft brush to get all the chalkiness off, then wiped it with a wet towel to get all the residue off, let it dry, then 303'd it. It looked new when I was done, I couldn't believe it.
That was a year ago, and it still looks new.
I'm going to do the same to the TL when it gets bad.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Instructor

I had the same problem. The dealer recommended Meguiars Gold Class Leather Condioner. I bought some and applied several coats and the problem is gone. Im gonna follow with some 303 and hope it doesnt come back.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
I took an applicator pad and some armorall and swiped it one good time. The dash is beautiful, and the reflection on the windshield isn't even an issue. Look into it, or atleast try it. You might be pleasently surprised.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much.....
Maybe this thread can give you some insight about the dashboard issue. I've not had any problems with the dash after cleaning it and applying a protectant, I do agree that dash replacement would create additional problems. Good Luck with the class action.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced

I use "Total Look" by Spray Nine on my car. I apply it to the dash everytime I give the interior a good cleanin. Since the 1st application I haven'y had an ashy dash since. Its also good for your tires as I use this product on them as well. I complained to the parts guy at my local acura and he threw the bottle of Total Look in my car. Giver a try.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Unfortunately, I do kind of tend to agree that this is one of those "pick your battles" type of thing. If you're comfortable going in and making a case for a lawsuit, then more power to you; I won't say it's a bad idea or anything like that.

I've been disappointed with the fading dash issue since Day 1 of Acura TL ownership. The best pointers I can give to minimize the appearance of faded dash is to use the products that people are mentioning throughout this thread. The best time to apply the product is when it's cool outside, and your car is out of direct sunlight. I'm a big fan of washing my car in the sun (if you saw how pale I am, you'd understand that I need all the sun I can get), but when it comes time to get my dash shine on, I wait until the dash is cool and out of sunlight.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Thanks so much for the info. ...For me the ive tried two diff products three times now and for the money ive paid for this car I should not have to deal with it. I was told by several dealers the issue will resurface even with new dash. I just cant believe other people in warm weather states have not had frustration and or class action lawsuit with this issue......
May I ask where you park your car? Under cover or in the elements? And if you park this beautiful car in the elements, do you use the TL winshield cover............................................. .everytime?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
to the op- while i can certainly empathize and relate to the dash fading issue, if this is your ONLY issue with the car, then be grateful. no mass produced item like the TL is going to be perfect. others have to deal w/ rattles, driveline vibration, mismatched bumpers- real problems w/ harder fixes.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
choose your battles...LOL....well i guess some of you folks are not use to owning luxury cars
Don't consider this a luxury car......I always thought luxury starts at $50k

I've owned (by I, I mean my family) many true luxury cars over the years, and mind you they have all had some problem. I just think that the mercedes/bmw dealers take care of you alittle more. But what do you expect its only a $35k car. Like saying a new fully equiped Nissan Altima for $33k is luxury...........
Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
The best time to apply the product is when it's cool outside, and your car is out of direct sunlight. I'm a big fan of washing my car in the sun (if you saw how pale I am, you'd understand that I need all the sun I can get), but when it comes time to get my dash shine on, I wait until the dash is cool and out of sunlight.
I have been using various products on my dash weekly since day 1 and have never experienced the ashy dash look. I started with some Pinnicle - then found AZ and tried 303. Both work fine.......

Brett - I find it interesting that you do yours in the shade - I have been doing mine mostly in the sun lately. LOL - I guess what I was thinking is that when the sun hits the dash it get hot....dash gets hot - the pores in the dash material open up and maybe suck up more of the product than if the pores were cool & closed.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by SteveP66
I have been using various products on my dash weekly since day 1 and have never experienced the ashy dash look. I started with some Pinnicle - then found AZ and tried 303. Both work fine.......

Brett - I find it interesting that you do yours in the shade - I have been doing mine mostly in the sun lately. LOL - I guess what I was thinking is that when the sun hits the dash it get hot....dash gets hot - the pores in the dash material open up and maybe suck up more of the product than if the pores were cool & closed.
That's not a bad theory. My luck has it such that I get really uneven and inconsistent coverage when I do it in the sun. For fun (and because it needed it anyway), I did the application of 303 on the dash while it was cool and my car was in the shade this morning right after I posted, so we'll see how well it really works.

From my experience while applying it in the sun, the stuff just bakes the second it hits the dash, and like I said, kind of applies unevenly.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yeah I soak the dash in 303 and then wait a few hours before wiping it off. There is some uneveness when it first goes on but once it "bakes in" I can wipe it off and even it out.

Now I have to try the shade method....LOL
Old 06-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Yeah I soak the dash in 303 and then wait a few hours before wiping it off. There is some uneveness when it first goes on but once it "bakes in" I can wipe it off and even it out.

Now I have to try the shade method....LOL
I guess you could say the shade method is still in its experimental stages for me, as I've only done it a few times. I seem to have the best results with this method, though. I might actually consider going with something other than 303 next time, even though I JUST bought a new bottle last weekend.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:43 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I put 303 on my dash to get rid of the chalkiness about eight months ago and it still looks new today. Admittedly, I should put some more on this weekend, though. Not because the fade came back but because I want to renew the UV protection. My car is parked in the sun all day during the week. I don't yet have a sunshade.

It would be interesting to see a list of all the class-action suits folks here want to bring against Acura. Off the top of my head, I've seen driveline vibration, faded dash, headliner, and screwy navi "search by name" listed as potential class-action suits.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
just my 2 cents about the dash rattle after replacements....i've done 6 dashboard replacements already...and have yet to have a come back for a rattle...if the right person is doing it...it wont rattle...infact....1 dashboard i took out because of a rattle...2007 Honda Fit. and ill have to try that 303 stuff...my dash is gettin ashy too
Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I put 303 on my dash to get rid of the chalkiness about eight months ago and it still looks new today. Admittedly, I should put some more on this weekend, though. Not because the fade came back but because I want to renew the UV protection. My car is parked in the sun all day during the week. I don't yet have a sunshade.
Am I not using enough or the wrong kind of rag or something? Currently I'm using Zwipes microfiber towels. I wonder if I'm just not soaking the rag enough.

Because, to be perfectly honest, I'm not all that impressed with the way it (or anything) works. For my last car (1998 Accord), I put Meguiar's on that dash and it stayed smokin' for months -- and the coverage was completely uniform.

I know there's a certain part of me that is OCD and I'm attributing some of this scenario to that, but I don't know. It seems like there should be some sort of solution, even for me.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats actually where the problem lies. The white haze is chemicals escaping from the new dash. Salesmen are supposed to tell you to not cover the dash with protectant for a few months giving it time to breathe. Since my car was used, and obviously the 1st owner didn't respect that rule I have to pamper the dash now. I use Granitize which gives it the perfect look in my opinion.

Part two, whenever cleaning your dash or conditioning it, as with all leather vinyl surfaces if needs to be done in a cool dry area out of direct sunlight. My granitize steps include applying, letting soak for up to 30 minutes and buffing off the excess.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by lembowski
Thats actually where the problem lies. The white haze is chemicals escaping from the new dash. Salesmen are supposed to tell you to not cover the dash with protectant for a few months giving it time to breathe. Since my car was used, and obviously the 1st owner didn't respect that rule I have to pamper the dash now. I use Granitize which gives it the perfect look in my opinion.

Part two, whenever cleaning your dash or conditioning it, as with all leather vinyl surfaces if needs to be done in a cool dry area out of direct sunlight. My granitize steps include applying, letting soak for up to 30 minutes and buffing off the excess.

lem - That would make sense but I don't have the ashy dash look at all.............never have. The car was probably on the lot for a few months prior to my purchase........

Brett - I use one of those cotton application pads - the MF towels seem to drag over the dash when I wiped with one.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by brettallica
Am I not using enough or the wrong kind of rag or something? Currently I'm using Zwipes microfiber towels. I wonder if I'm just not soaking the rag enough.

Because, to be perfectly honest, I'm not all that impressed with the way it (or anything) works. For my last car (1998 Accord), I put Meguiar's on that dash and it stayed smokin' for months -- and the coverage was completely uniform.

I know there's a certain part of me that is OCD and I'm attributing some of this scenario to that, but I don't know. It seems like there should be some sort of solution, even for me.
I use a cotton terry cloth. I bought a big pack of them at Costco years ago. I don't soak the rag. I just get it damp enough to wet the dash and I rub it in with the rag until it's 'dry.' I don't apply and then wipe off like I'd do with car wax or furniture finish. I use it as if it's a cleaning product. When I did it, I remember it looking a bit blotchy, so I did it again and it came out even.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
I am also using the damp rag method. It's a microfiber towel and it goes on uneven. After several tries it usually evens out. I thought I got a bad bottle of 303, because several people said it works great. I guess I'll have to try using a different kind of towel.
I also tried spraying it directly on the dash once, but it made such a huge mess on the windshield (which was a PITA to clean) so I've never done that again.
My problem is not so much an ashy dash (say that 3 times fast), its that there is a VERY noticable line where the passenger air bag must be. It looks like this,
[----]

I have to use 303 every week or it keeps showing back up.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

What exactly is the 303 protectant and where would I purchase it? I have an 07 TL w/15K miles on it and it lives in the garage. However, I have the chalky issue with my dash.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
http://www.303products.com/

You can find the 303 products at your local boat store. You want to get the 303 Aerospace Protectant. Great stuff with a 40 SPF reating. Welcome to AZ
Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Poi Dog
What exactly is the 303 protectant and where would I purchase it? I have an 07 TL w/15K miles on it and it lives in the garage. However, I have the chalky issue with my dash.
You can also purchase it from www.exceldetail.com

It works miracles, for real. Cured my white/chalky dash right away. It has been on the dash for about 3 weeks and hasn't worn away or anything. Looks brand new.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Poi Dog
Some auto parts stores carry 303 Aerospace Protectant, but I purchased it from West Marine.

Use a cleaner-- the Honda/Acura vinyl cleaner supposedly works well-- to wipe the dash first. Then apply the 303 with a cloth (don't spray it directly on the dash).
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
You can also clean the dash with just water and clear cotton cloth. Get all the dust off, dry with another cotton cloth and treat.

Quick Reply: 04/06 TL chalky dash condition