3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 TL-P vs. 01/02 Maxima SE (guy wouldn't give me a fair one!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
02 TL-P vs. 01/02 Maxima SE (guy wouldn't give me a fair one!)

So I'm cruising home from Philly last night on 76 west and this guy in an older Nissan Maxima SE is tailgating me...I can't really move outta the way due to traffic, but when the chance came he did the good old ricer flyby only to get caught in traffic again. I laughed cos' I never haul ass like that on the schulkyll expressway, way too dangerous. Then I decided to play a little (tailgated him) and hope he'd get off on the same exit. He did and we were now on 202 South. There was a little traffic in front of us, but after that the road was clear and we could've got a nice clean run together. So what does this jackass do??? He punches it and cuts across three lanes between like six different cars and just keeps going. I wasn't going to be stupid like him so I let it go and never saw him again. Oh well, I really wanted to see how my TL-P would've stacked up against the Maxima, but no such luck. Now that doofus probally thinks he can burn every 2nd Gen TL he sees on the road.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its Odd how some people wave through traffic and think they are faster than any car on earth. Damn i can do that with my bicycle But its only fun and games until some 1 gets hurt. You never know when ur going to have bad luck. Back to the topic, Waving through Traffic doesnt prove anything..... So what you did was smart.
And Dont worry, there are maximas in every garbage can, u'll sure find 1 to race...... arghh i HATE NISSAN (except SkyLine )
Old 06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
lol, don't hate Nissans they are pretty darn fast too! But yea, many bad drivers out there now!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforyou
lol, don't hate Nissans they are pretty darn fast too! But yea, many bad drivers out there now!
Thats y i hate em, they make my TLS look slow
Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usually when people go through traffic like that they 1.) look like idiots, 2.) dont respect what they are driving so they dont care if it gets hit or if the engine wears out on unecessary accelerations and hard braking and turning and finally 3.) they are scared of your car. its kinda like when a ghost is chasing you and you are scared so you will do whatever it takes to go as far as possible.

don't worry i think you would have won. when i used to drive my 03 accord v6 i destroyed plenty of maximas. i am talking about a stock accord. 240hp. i have destroyed moded maximas and stock. maximas are better off in the start, they can get like half a car or more at the begining and then its all vtec after that for me. for some reason the accord seems a little faster than the TL. the TL feels heavier. i have never driven the TL too hard and push its limits since it is a little more expensive and also since i am planning to keep it after lease so i dont really know the limits of the TL. but the accord i used to have was crazy. i used to drive on D1 at the begining of a race and go from 0-80km/h fairly quickly and then shift to D or D3 and let the vtec do all the talking. as you can see the way i drove the accord was very rough but i miss that car alot. but i am very happy with the TL, its one of the nicest looking cars out there and a whole lot fun to drive. when i had the accord the only cars that i struggled with was the lexus is300 but at the end i still won. i have never lost a race in the accord so that accord has like an amazing record of 0 losses and lots of ko's. anyways i think you can take on that maxima. so go look for some maximas in your area in the next few minutes and come back to aurazine and tell us about it. it will take a whole lot of load off your back and make you feel good. btw im just jkn about looking for maximas in the next few min unless you want to.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I like the way you described those drivers, lol!

Anyways, I can't believe you destroyed so many maximas, but struggled with an IS300, was it modded or what?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lostkhan
Its Odd how some people wave through traffic and think they are faster than any car on earth. Damn i can do that with my bicycle But its only fun and games until some 1 gets hurt. You never know when ur going to have bad luck. Back to the topic, Waving through Traffic doesnt prove anything..... So what you did was smart.
And Dont worry, there are maximas in every garbage can, u'll sure find 1 to race...... arghh i HATE NISSAN (except SkyLine )
I agree, it sure is stupid. I used to do it a lot when I was younger and only once in the TL against a Mercedes CL something or other....it was dumb and since then I've made it my rule to only race in straight line on roadways and with no traffic in my way. If I see traffic I let off and that's that. I trust my driving skills even through traffic, but you never know how someone else on the road is going to react when they see you coming up fast. Anyhow, that guys was a fool trying to look cool, good for him.. I don't care if a retard like that thinks he won against me when he didn't give me a fair race to begin with. :BIGGRIN:
Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Syed
usually when people go through traffic like that they 1.) look like idiots, 2.) dont respect what they are driving so they dont care if it gets hit or if the engine wears out on unecessary accelerations and hard braking and turning and finally 3.) they are scared of your car. its kinda like when a ghost is chasing you and you are scared so you will do whatever it takes to go as far as possible.

don't worry i think you would have won. when i used to drive my 03 accord v6 i destroyed plenty of maximas. i am talking about a stock accord. 240hp. i have destroyed moded maximas and stock. maximas are better off in the start, they can get like half a car or more at the begining and then its all vtec after that for me. for some reason the accord seems a little faster than the TL. the TL feels heavier. i have never driven the TL too hard and push its limits since it is a little more expensive and also since i am planning to keep it after lease so i dont really know the limits of the TL. but the accord i used to have was crazy. i used to drive on D1 at the begining of a race and go from 0-80km/h fairly quickly and then shift to D or D3 and let the vtec do all the talking. as you can see the way i drove the accord was very rough but i miss that car alot. but i am very happy with the TL, its one of the nicest looking cars out there and a whole lot fun to drive. when i had the accord the only cars that i struggled with was the lexus is300 but at the end i still won. i have never lost a race in the accord so that accord has like an amazing record of 0 losses and lots of ko's. anyways i think you can take on that maxima. so go look for some maximas in your area in the next few minutes and come back to aurazine and tell us about it. it will take a whole lot of load off your back and make you feel good. btw im just jkn about looking for maximas in the next few min unless you want to.
The sad thing is I've been looking to race one from a roll since I first got the TL too. So far this has been the closest contestant. I'll find one though, but only the previous gen I'll race (right now at least) since I'm in a TL-P not an S type and only have a few "looks" mods done so far. Def. getting an intake and hopefully some headers down the line though...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

not sure if the is300 was moded. the engine did make some noise when he floored it. it was very quick from a dig but at high speeds the accord kicked butt.

remember this when you are driving against a maxima or racing in general. close all the windows. turn off everything including ac and radio cause they can be distracting and ac slows the car down. make sure trunk is empty and any heavy items like maybe spare tire and tool kit should be out. this will really help the car pick up speed. and if you get an oil and filter change then the car will run even better. i noticed if you get an oil and filter changed from the dealership the car runs much faster and smoother but its a little pricey. no idea what they do different.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

oh i also forgot to tell you to reduce a little bit of tire pressure because that way you will get some grip on the road that is if you are racing from a dig. reduce tire pressure from the front tires only. try this and practice on an open road. its wicked.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i used to have a 2000 maxima se ... ran with my buddys 2000 tl-p once.... its 222 hp vs 225 hp... it was pretty much a neck and neck run we didnt go much more than about 65-70 (i would imagine vtec would help you get the advantage top end) however from a dig the nissan is a little more powerful.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think I have seen a video of a TL-P vs a maxima, like you've said, the race was neck to neck.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
i used to have a 2000 maxima se ... ran with my buddys 2000 tl-p once.... its 222 hp vs 225 hp... it was pretty much a neck and neck run we didnt go much more than about 65-70 (i would imagine vtec would help you get the advantage top end) however from a dig the nissan is a little more powerful.
This exactly why I've been looking to run against one, esp from a roll where V-tech can get the upper hand. If I ever get one at a light I'll still throw down though.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

oh i also forgot to tell you to reduce a little bit of tire pressure because that way you will get some grip on the road that is if you are racing from a dig. reduce tire pressure from the front tires only. try this and practice on an open road. its wicked.
I would like to see how my cars does with all of the above in both your posts, but most of my races aren't exactly planned, they just seem to happen when I'm out driving. One week I had two races against a supercharged mazda 626 on the same road at 4:30am when I worked early shifts. I won both times, but if I had known I'd see the guy again, I may have tried changing something up to widen the margin of victory. Even boosted his car was no match for raw displacement. But yeah if I ever get a planned race I will def. lighten the load and drop a few psi in the front for some traction.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

I beat the crap out of a new IS 250. My TLS only has exausts and intake. From start to finish the race was mine.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

Sounds like you were beating up on VQ30 Maximas (and likely 4ATs at that). As a current owner of an 07 AV6 and former owner of an 02 Maxima SE (both cars AT), I can tell you that my old 5.5G Maxima (in stock form) will make short work of my Accord.

....and stock IS300s were even less of a problem.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pearl tls
I beat the crap out of a new IS 250. My TLS only has exausts and intake. From start to finish the race was mine.
That's cos the 250 model only has 204hp. The 350 model (306hp and RWD) would've killed a TLS w/o boost+plus other bolt-ons. Anyhow, the 250 model is another one I want to race cos the ppl who drive them seem to think they're all that cos they've got a new lexus, when a 2nd Gen TL-P can easily make short work of them.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

remember that the 03 and 04 accord had a cable built in so when you accelerate the cable is pulling and if you are driving on D1 then there is no control on your rpm which means the rpm is extremely high giving the car a very quick pick up. its also bad for your engine because you end up killing it. after the 04 model they dont have that cable system which means when you accelerate you only have limited control on your rpm meaning you cant go crazy and kill the engine. with cable it feels like this, so when you floor the accel pad the car takes some time to respoond but when it responds the car goes out of control. with cable when you punch it then the car responds right away but slowely picks up speed and then the rpm starts to increase at an increasing rate. just like the TL and other luxury cars they dont have the cable system. mercedes was the first one to introduce this system back in the 80's i think and then slowley everyone copied them. i hope you know what im talking about. i have raced an 02 maxima and i have taken it out, not by alot but by almost a car lenght by the time i reached 140km/h. but remember that i shift from D1 at the beg. then shift to D once i have reached 80 km/h in one gear. vtec always does better at higher speeds compared to the maxima, camry v6, speed6. no doubt the maxima will eat up the vtec from a dig but vtec just warms up and when you past 120 or so it does very good compared to the maxima.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

I WROTE THIS EARLIER
so when you floor the accel pad the car takes some time to respoond but when it responds the car goes out of control. WITH CABLE when you punch it then the car responds right away but slowely picks up speed and then the rpm starts to increase at an increasing rate

SUPPOSED TO BE
so when you floor the accel pad the car takes some time to respoond but when it responds the car goes out of control. WTHOUT CABLE when you punch it then the car responds right away but slowely picks up speed and then the rpm starts to increase at an increasing rate
Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

at the same time i dont really know the capabilities of the maxima. i have never driven it and only raced it. the new maximas will def eat up that 03 accord but the 02 is not too much of a difference in racing so you shouldnt be able to pull too much on the 07 accord.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Nighthawk Black Pearl

sorry for the hijack and asking a dumb question but what does the "P" in TL-P stand for?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
2002 TL-S NGP

It would've been interesting if the TL-P went up against a 02 Maxima. Their is a big difference between the 01 and the 02. The 2002-03 Maxima has 255 HP vs 222 HP in the 2000-2001 models. They look almost identical except for the silver trim around the rear tail light housing. The 02-03 models would even be a very competitive race against the TL-S.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh Hullow

Originally Posted by Nothin' but Da Truth
It would've been interesting if the TL-P went up against a 02 Maxima. Their is a big difference between the 01 and the 02. The 2002-03 Maxima has 255 HP vs 222 HP in the 2000-2001 models. They look almost identical except for the silver trim around the rear tail light housing. The 02-03 models would even be a very competitive race against the TL-S.
yeah very big difference between the 00/01 and 02/03.... i take my dad's 05 maxi for a spin every now and then... that thing is a monster in its own right back when i had my 2000 maxima goin back and forth between the 2 cars it felt like my maxima was a slug lol... i would not sleep on any of the 3.5 maximas whehter 5.5 gen or 6th gen.... (i know im a weirdo ...a tl driver who loves maximas haha)

oh and a 5.5/6th gen maxima vs a 2nd gen tl-p i would say is not a fair race. the maxi should handle business in that matchup. i am curious though... maybe ill ask my buddy in his tl-p to run against the 05 maxima (given of course there is a track or a wide open stretch of highway to play on for a bit as to not endanger anyone)
Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
remember that the 03 and 04 accord had a cable built in so when you accelerate the cable is pulling and if you are driving on D1 then there is no control on your rpm which means the rpm is extremely high giving the car a very quick pick up. its also bad for your engine because you end up killing it. after the 04 model they dont have that cable system which means when you accelerate you only have limited control on your rpm meaning you cant go crazy and kill the engine. with cable it feels like this, so when you floor the accel pad the car takes some time to respoond but when it responds the car goes out of control. with cable when you punch it then the car responds right away but slowely picks up speed and then the rpm starts to increase at an increasing rate. just like the TL and other luxury cars they dont have the cable system. mercedes was the first one to introduce this system back in the 80's i think and then slowley everyone copied them. i hope you know what im talking about. i have raced an 02 maxima and i have taken it out, not by alot but by almost a car lenght by the time i reached 140km/h. but remember that i shift from D1 at the beg. then shift to D once i have reached 80 km/h in one gear. vtec always does better at higher speeds compared to the maxima, camry v6, speed6. no doubt the maxima will eat up the vtec from a dig but vtec just warms up and when you past 120 or so it does very good compared to the maxima.
What in the world are you talking about I think what you're trying to refer to is the cable by wire throttle system employed on most every engine after 2002. Some systems can be rather sluggish. Regardless, the 02-03 5.5 gen Maxima will make short work of any automatic V6 Accord, even in the upper mphs. The 02-03 Maxima have 255hp and typically see 14.7-14.8s@94mph stock with the auto and 6MTs see 14.4-14.5@97mph stock. The 5AT V6 Accords are lucky to break a 15.1@92mph on a really good day. VTEC or not, the Accord gets toasted. Now if you're talking about the 6MT V6 Accords, then yes, they have a slight upper hand over the 02-03 Maximas. My guess is you were racing the 222-225hp 00-01 Maximas which are significantly slower (upper 15s auto, low 15s 5MT).
Old 06-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

i guess it must have been the 00-01 maximas since you guys say that the 00-01 and 02-03 look similar other than the silver trim.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

i guess it must have been the 00-01 maximas since you guys say that the 00-01 and 02-03 look similar other than the silver trim.
Aesthetically, the 02-03 Maxima (aka the 5.5G Maxima) is indentifiable by its HID headlights, clear tails (although some 00-01 owners have upgraded to these) and larger NISSAN 'hamburger' on the grill (pun?).

For the heck of it, you should test drive a 5.5G. I guarantee that you will get a kick out of it.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
For the heck of it, you should test drive a 5.5G. I guarantee that you will get a kick out of it.
Just make sure you hold on to the steering wheel tightly when you got WOT from a slow speed as the FWD VQ35 cars like to seek out the nearest curb.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Aesthetically, the 02-03 Maxima (aka the 5.5G Maxima) is indentifiable by its HID headlights, clear tails (although some 00-01 owners have upgraded to these) and larger NISSAN 'hamburger' on the grill (pun?).

The one I almost raced had those ugly black tails so I'm guessing it must've been an 00/01 model. Today I was parked right next to that same model in gold. Since my car is gold and I just had this "not quite a race" happen, I had to laugh to myself.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Manapuaman
sorry for the hijack and asking a dumb question but what does the "P" in TL-P stand for?
Welcome to Acurazine!
TL= Touring Luxury or in some cases tranny lubrication!
P= Premium model (225hp)
S= Sport model (260hp)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I used to work at a Honda dealership and there was this 02 Maxima SE. I always drove it to pick up customers, usually when i was alone in that car, I would "test" it out a little bit. It's definitely a pretty quick car. But like what Dave said, be careful when going WOT from slow speeds.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Oh Hullow

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
The one I almost raced had those ugly black tails so I'm guessing it must've been an 00/01 model. Today I was parked right next to that same model in gold. Since my car is gold and I just had this "not quite a race" happen, I had to laugh to myself.

HEY! who u callin ugly haha my old baby .....

but yeah after selling that maxi ^^^ i was ready to pull the trigger on an 03 maxima and then an 02 infiniti i35 (the 'classy' maxima for those that dont know) but turned them down in favor of the tl-s since ive loved that car ever since my father had leased an 03 tl-p and it actually was the car i learned to drive on.. i guess that helps to draw an attachment to the car... i know most honda purists hate on nissans for the fact that its a nissan but i would suggest any of you to drive the 5.5 gen maxima (02/03 model yrs) or even the infiniti i35... you will gain a healthy respect for nissans... i would have bought it if the color combo i wanted was available at the time...

F23A4 knows what im talkin bout when i say the maximas deserve credit haha
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Nothing wrong with being a Honda purist with an admiration for Nissans. Of my last six car purchases, three were Hondas (99 Accord, 07 Accord, 98 Civic) and three were Nissans (00 Quest, 02 Maxima, 05 Murano). Of the Nissans, only the Murano was our first choice. (We settled on the Quest and Maxima as the 2G Odyssey and TL-S were priced a bit beyond our budget at that time.) My only regret with the Max was that I did not buy the 6MT model.

Back on topic, I will always have nothing but love for the Maxima (exc. 04-06 models) and will always be quick to defend it against undue criticism.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
What in the world are you talking about I think what you're trying to refer to is the cable by wire throttle system employed on most every engine after 2002. Some systems can be rather sluggish. Regardless, the 02-03 5.5 gen Maxima will make short work of any automatic V6 Accord, even in the upper mphs. The 02-03 Maxima have 255hp and typically see 14.7-14.8s@94mph stock with the auto and 6MTs see 14.4-14.5@97mph stock. The 5AT V6 Accords are lucky to break a 15.1@92mph on a really good day. VTEC or not, the Accord gets toasted. Now if you're talking about the 6MT V6 Accords, then yes, they have a slight upper hand over the 02-03 Maximas. My guess is you were racing the 222-225hp 00-01 Maximas which are significantly slower (upper 15s auto, low 15s 5MT).
True, True
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also by the side sills, blockier front bumper and restyled rims for all models except for the few GXE's that have the 16 inch 5 spokers from the 00/01 GLE's.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

HEY! who u callin ugly haha my old baby .....

but yeah after selling that maxi ^^^ i was ready to pull the trigger on an 03 maxima and then an 02 infiniti i35 (the 'classy' maxima for those that dont know) but turned them down in favor of the tl-s since ive loved that car ever since my father had leased an 03 tl-p and it actually was the car i learned to drive on.. i guess that helps to draw an attachment to the car... i know most honda purists hate on nissans for the fact that its a nissan but i would suggest any of you to drive the 5.5 gen maxima (02/03 model yrs) or even the infiniti i35... you will gain a healthy respect for nissans... i would have bought it if the color combo i wanted was available at the time...

F23A4 knows what im talkin bout when i say the maximas deserve credit haha
LOL! It's not really ugly, just never was a fan of the tails. I've always liked maximas. I wanted one a lot back in HS when a couple other ppl I knew started getting them. Too bad my parents weren't rich like theirs....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

The tails look good on black. (my $0.02)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

all this talk about the maxima makes me wanna take one for a spin. didnt know the respect you guys have on the maxima. must be unique and good. i have never driven a nissan other than the sentra which sucked. but the maxima ill def try to take it for a spin if i ever get a chance.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Also by the side sills, blockier front bumper and restyled rims for all models except for the few GXE's that have the 16 inch 5 spokers from the 00/01 GLE's.
True, although MUCH less noticeable than the three features I mentioned.

...and do not forget the exhaust outlet too.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

all this talk about the maxima makes me wanna take one for a spin. didnt know the respect you guys have on the maxima. must be unique and good. i have never driven a nissan other than the sentra which sucked. but the maxima ill def try to take it for a spin if i ever get a chance.
Nothing wrong with having respect for other cars. I would never buy a TL simply because it's FWD, but I still have a lot of respect for it. The 02-03 Maxima were the quickest stock Maximas ever built, but they do have their issues, primarily with the fact that the car uses a beam rear axle (95 through 03).
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Oh Hullow

i had a bad experience with my particular maxima i posted a pic of a few posts ago, had it been problem free i would not be on AZ today, but my father has had maximas before and after my car was sold so i know it was just the car i bought and that the previous owner beat the hell out of it... but when i finally got it running right i just had a resentment for the car and the fact that i put almost 4,000 into the car to get it running right i just wanted out.. and was going to get into another maxima but the real reason i didnt was because i wanted something similar, but i didnt wanna spend money on the same car which is why the tl was the perfect choice... i suggest anyone to take the 02/03 maxima for a spin my only complaint is the boat-like handling that makes the tl-s feel like it handles like a sports car haha (nothing that some aftermarket suspension and sway bars cant fix though)

Quick Reply: 02 TL-P vs. 01/02 Maxima SE (guy wouldn't give me a fair one!)