3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[DIY] Add some security - Shock Sensors to Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
I did this mod today and I'm almost happy with it.......I have two shock sensors setup front and trunk.....sensitivity at the max....when I hit the car shock sensor recognize and activate but alarm won't go off only sometimes after banging it for a long time alarm goes off....I want it to set off by just one tap...

I have narrowed it down that it's probably the trigger wire that goes to the hood latch because everything is in working order...I'm going to try and figure out how to give it more voltage signal and see how that works,my friend who install alarms and music going to help me when he has some free time, anyone has any input?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts
How would I go about wiring up both the shock and tilt sensors? Would I need 2 add-a-fuses?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Tannn
How would I go about wiring up both the shock and tilt sensors? Would I need 2 add-a-fuses?
No, you wouldn't need two add-a-fuses.

I'm actually reading up on adding a tilt sensor.

There's three wires on the tilt sensor,

One is for constant power, one is ground, and one is trigger.

The ground wire is supposed to be wired to a wire that's powered on when the car turns off I think. This allows the tilt sensor to use its "recalibration" feature to see what level you're parked on every time you shut off your car.

Stay tuned.
The following users liked this post:
Tannn (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16

The ground wire is supposed to be wired to a wire that's powered on when the car turns off I think. This allows the tilt sensor to use its "recalibration" feature to see what level you're parked on every time you shut off your car.

Stay tuned.
Would we need to increase the amps if we're running both the sensors?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16

Stay tuned.
The orange wire (DEI tilt sensor) needs to be connected to the alarm "ground when armed" wire which is located inside the driver's side door panel. Another option is to connect it to an ignition wire that "rests at ground" when the ignition is turned off. As near as I can tell, no such wire exists so you are stuck with taking the driver's side door panel off.

If you are connecting both the tilt sensor and shock sensor trigger wires to the hood pin wire, they both should be diode isolated.

Originally Posted by Tannn
Would we need to increase the amps if we're running both the sensors?
No
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Also worth noting...our hood release trigger has a delay from when you first arm the car. Maybe 30 seconds. This is helpful to know when you're testing it out...I was baffled when I was because I'd arm it and then walk around the car and bang on it and NOTHING. Then, the following time it would set it off.

Let's be honest though, you can install about 100 of these things on the car and if someone wants the car or to break in, they probably will anyway.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Also worth noting...our hood release trigger has a delay from when you first arm the car. Maybe 30 seconds. This is helpful to know when you're testing it out...I was baffled when I was because I'd arm it and then walk around the car and bang on it and NOTHING. Then, the following time it would set it off.

Let's be honest though, you can install about 100 of these things on the car and if someone wants the car or to break in, they probably will anyway.

Since I have a long driveway. That will give me enough time to run out with my shotgun and scare them away.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Since I have a long driveway. That will give me enough time to run out with my shotgun and scare them away.
what Rockstar meant it once you lock the car, it takes 30 seconds for the hood trigger to "arm"

so if someone was to try stealing your car within 30 seconds of you locking it then you need to scare them else the alarm will go off instantly....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM

^^right...
important to know when you're testing out the unit though cause if you start slapping your car silly for the first 30 seconds and then move the unit etc...you'll think it's not working.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by swoosh
what Rockstar meant it once you lock the car, it takes 30 seconds for the hood trigger to "arm"

so if someone was to try stealing your car within 30 seconds of you locking it then you need to scare them else the alarm will go off instantly....
Just to be clear: It's not a function of the switches, it's the built in delay for the alarm unit. The security light starts flashing once the driver's side door is locked (either by key or remote), but the alarm unit doesn't arm until a short time later (the light will start flashing faster).
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
The orange wire (DEI tilt sensor) needs to be connected to the alarm "ground when armed" wire which is located inside the driver's side door panel. Another option is to connect it to an ignition wire that "rests at ground" when the ignition is turned off. As near as I can tell, no such wire exists so you are stuck with taking the driver's side door panel off....
I found a wire/circuit (other than inside the driver's side door panel) that rests at ground. It is the security wire to the audio unit. It is a red/white wire. It's wire #1 on the "Q" connector of the Under-dash Fuse/Relay box. The "Q" connector is at the top left side/back of the fuse box. Trace that bundle and tap into the red/white wire where able.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Race Director

The following 4 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
guitarplayer16 (08-23-2012), swoosh (08-23-2012), Tannn (08-23-2012), vladkarnafel (10-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM

^^^excellent post and helpful information. Thanks NFN.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
OMG-6SPD

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
I just installed this shock sensor yesterday, and I read from a couple of yall here saying yall were gonna add another kind of sensor (tilt & proximity or something like that) for when a thief tries to jack your wheels, tow your car or smash your glass. I installed mine with the sensitivity set all the way and it picks up kicks from my wheel or whenever I hit the glass. Here's my vid of kicking my tire. So im guessing it works good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIe...e_gdata_player

Sorry if I made any typos,im on my phone.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bada$$VTEC
I just installed this shock sensor yesterday, and I read from a couple of yall here saying yall were gonna add another kind of sensor (tilt & proximity or something like that) for when a thief tries to jack your wheels, tow your car or smash your glass. I installed mine with the sensitivity set all the way and it picks up kicks from my wheel or whenever I hit the glass. Here's my vid of kicking my tire. So im guessing it works good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIe...e_gdata_player

Sorry if I made any typos,im on my phone.
My sensitivity is set all the way up and the damn thing doesn't respond to kicks or when I try shaking the car. It's zip tied to the big metal below the steering. How do I know it works? From time to time, I open my trunk to put something in there before unlocking the car and when I close it no matter how lightly I do it, the alarm goes off. I think I got a faulty sensor.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 PM
OMG-6SPD

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeChege
My sensitivity is set all the way up and the damn thing doesn't respond to kicks or when I try shaking the car. It's zip tied to the big metal below the steering. How do I know it works? From time to time, I open my trunk to put something in there before unlocking the car and when I close it no matter how lightly I do it, the alarm goes off. I think I got a faulty sensor.
Weird, mines zip tied to pretty much the same location except on the wires close to the ignition. You prolly got a defective sensor or you didnt tap it right,check back on your wiring again.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared

I just did this mod and I taped into the red/white wire to the security and it didn't work for me, I tried tapping into the black/white and it works like a charm. Just wanted to let people know if they are attempting this mod, next one I will add is the tilt sensor. Still looking for a good place to set the shock in place besides the steering wheel column, since it didn't work that well for me. There's a lot of people with sound system here including me so I wouldn't want my car to go off like every night if I set it too sensitive.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Instructor

was wondering with the people that did this mod, where did you put the shock sensor at, i tried the steering wheel and i set it all the way to the right as possible which hits like 6 or 7 o clock and i zip tied it to different parts under the steering wheel and when i pound on the doors and fender and i meant pounding it hard the sensor doesnt go off. i tested the sensor it works but i just cant figure out any spots, i also tried to put it underneath the carpet by the gas cap release but no luck. pictures would be great of where you guys put it would be great.

-if theres no other spot i might just buy 4 sensor shock and tilt and put one sensor on each door so for sure itll sensor ahha.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed this but i noticed the alarm stayed on for over 2mins. does the factory alarm go off until you turn it off? or does it go off in after a certain period of time?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danerobert14
I installed this but i noticed the alarm stayed on for over 2mins. does the factory alarm go off until you turn it off? or does it go off in after a certain period of time?
I remember reading somewhere that factory alarm suppose to go off for only 2 mins unless you changed it somehow.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Race Director

Press the unlock button to stop the alarm, if not, it will turn itself off after 2 mins.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM

I would highly recommend you guys NOT keep your poor low beam and ballasts flicking on and off for 2 minutes straight if you can avoid it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
couple of questions about this install...

i got the dei 504m shock sensor and the 507m tilt sensor. the 507m looks pretty straight forward. it's got a postive, a ground, and a trigger wire (red, orange, blue)...but the 504m is a little different than guitarplayers model in the original post. mine has a red, yellow, blue, and green wire. according to directions, red is positive, yellow is (-) turn on input, blue is second stage trigger output, and green is first stage output.

my question is how do i wire up the shock sensor? obviously red is power source but what about yellow, blue, and green? where do they go?

i've attaches photos. thanks for your time.

TILT SENSOR (easy)

SHOCK SENSOR

LABELING DIRECTIONS

Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
couple of questions about this install...

i got the dei 504m shock sensor and the 507m tilt sensor. the 507m looks pretty straight forward. it's got a postive, a ground, and a trigger wire (red, orange, blue)...but the 504m is a little different than guitarplayers model in the original post. mine has a red, yellow, blue, and green wire. according to directions, red is positive, yellow is (-) turn on input, blue is second stage trigger output, and green is first stage output.

my question is how do i wire up the shock sensor? obviously red is power source but what about yellow, blue, and green? where do they go?

i've attaches photos. thanks for your time.

TILT SENSOR (easy)

SHOCK SENSOR

LABELING DIRECTIONS

since our cars dont have aftermarket alarm to have the warning before the cars alarm go off, try to wire the positive and yellow. lock your car for 30sec and pound away to test it out, if it dont work try the blue wire. I know we only need one which is when it senses it, alarm just kicks in depending on the sensitivity you set. so you dont have a ground wire at all??
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Regarding Tilt Sensors: What wire are you tapping into for "(-) Ground When Armed Output or True Ignition Wire"? It looks like either the door lock switch or audio unit are grounded when the alarm is armed but I'm not sure on the exact wire needed. I'll use trial and error today but thought I'd see what you guys thought.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
just installed this on my '04 TL, very easy install to do
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello,
I just did this yesterday, unfortunately I'm having the same problem as Viet.
I know my trigger on the hood latch works as I did the test that was mentioned. I did the same test that Viet did with the ground and power source. I'm using the same ground source by the steering column, mini add in fuse. I also soldered the connections instead.

Please help as I'm getting ready to tackle this.

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
So I tried installing the shock sensor yesterday and failed miserably. Completely bummed. Spent 5+ hours doing something that is so simple and shouldn't take anymore than 1 hour and still couldn't get it to work.

I got my ground from the screw that holds the "hood release" lever inside the car. The lever located under the fuse box by your ankle. I know this is a good ground because it's the same ground I used to direct/hardwire my radar detector (still have the radar detector installed and still works)

I got my power from the "recline" fuse just like you. I used the same "Mini-add-a-fuse" and added a 3A fuse along with the stock 20A fuse for the recline seat.

For the trigger wire at first I tried tapping in the green w/ black stripe wire located under the fusebox like a member had suggested. I actually opened the under side of the fuse box that exposed ALL the wiring so I could see it better. I used that crimp tool you used (the same red crimp tool that came with the Illuminated door sills).

Test it out, no luck.

The shock sensor unit actually LIGHTS UP RED when it detects a shock. I can kick the floor and it will turn red and turn off. If I hold it and shake it, it will light up red and turn off.

At this point i'm like what's going on? So I check my ground.. Disconnected it from the screw and it doesn't function (NO Red LED when there's a shock). I put it to a different ground and it lights red when there is a shock. I put it back to my original ground and it lights red with a detection of shock. Ground is good.

I check my power (red wire). I unhook the "Mini add-a-fuse" from the recline fuse spot and the shock sensor LED will not light up at all meaning it's not getting any power. I plug the "mini add-a-fuse" back into the same spot and the LED lights up once again when I give it a shake or kick the ground.

So now I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to the trigger (green wire). I assumed that my crimp to the green/black wire in the underhood fusebox was no good. Tried re-crimping it again but EXTRA tight. Still no luck. Finally decided to just ditch the fusebox wire and go to the original plan, the actual hood latch trigger wire that is located at the very front grill.

I used the same red crimp tool and crimped the trigger wire directly to the green/black wire and STILL DOESN'T WORK! I sit inside the car, lock all doors and arm my alarm. Slam my foot on the ground and the shock sensor lights up RED but alarm doesn't go off.. (hood, trunk, windows, doors ALL SHUT)

My factory alarm at this time still works. I sit inside the car and arm my alarm system. As soon as I pull or unlock the car from the inside using the button my alarm goes off (just as it should). When I roll my windows down and lock my car and reach inside the window to unlock the car using the button or pulling on the pin my alarm goes off immediately. Just how the stock alarm is supposed to work.

By this time I'm pretty pissed and decided to just strip my trigger wire about 2 inches so I can try to just take the copper inside the wire and directly touch it to the contact located INSIDE the connector of the hood latch switch (green/black wire located at front grill) and STILL NOTHING.

By now it was 9PM... I started around 4pm.... Pissed as hell I figured I would just get back to it another day... It doesn't stop there...

I disconnected the trigger wire from the connector and plugged the connector back in.

After I did that, I went inside my car to test the factory alarm to see if it still works.... IT DOESN'T GO OFF ANYMORE! I did the same 2 tests. Locked the car completely and tried unlocking the car from the inside using the button and the alarm didn't go off... Rolled my window down partially and locked the car. Reached inside to press the unlock button and still no alarm.... HOWEVER if I press the red button on my keyfob the alarm still triggers...

BTW... I noticed there is like a yellow thing on the shock sensor.. Is that to adjust the sensitivity of it or enable or turn it on? I haven't tampered with it so I don't if that's the cause or not..
Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Your suppose to wait at lest 30 seconds to a minute after your arm car alarm then either stomp on the floor or hit your car for the alarm to trigger.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

^ Yes Sir I knew that, for some odd reason the trigger source under the fuse box didn't work for me. So I just used the one from the hood latch. Its working now.
Thank you OP and everyone that contributed.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

I did this and it works great. The thing that I have run into though, once it is set off it never turns off. Any fix for this?
Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by BOMDC5
I did this and it works great. The thing that I have run into though, once it is set off it never turns off. Any fix for this?
Thanks
It turns off automatically after like 2 minutes.

You can click the unlock button on your remote to turn it off.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I have a brand new shock sensor if someone needs it, hit me up....
Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Does anybody have pictures of where you mounted the sensor?
What is the proper mounting facing up, down , sideways?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet !
Thanks for sharing, thanks for the video and pics
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Hey guys (Thanh)...
What are your thoughts on this? Could be a good addition to the in cabin for security, no?

I'm wondering if it'd work the same with oem alarm.
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 506T I.T. Audio Sensor: Electronics Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 506T I.T. Audio Sensor: Electronics
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
I have a brand new shock sensor if someone needs it, hit me up....
Whadda want for it swoosh?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey guys (Thanh)...
What are your thoughts on this? Could be a good addition to the in cabin for security, no?

I'm wondering if it'd work the same with oem alarm.
Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 506T I.T. Audio Sensor: Electronics
Yup, the 506T will work the same as the shock sensor with the OEM alarm =)
rockstar143 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Thank you, Thanh, wasn't sure...I guess I'll order it too!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Race Director

It should work fine. It works great with my Clifford. I mounted it at the base of the driver's side A-pillar, pointing toward all the breakable glass (highly unlikely someone will break the windshield):

rockstar143 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 AM

NFN, that's fantastic, I appreciate you sharing.
PS, did you have to do the key on glass testing to tune it down to not go off TOO easily?

Quick Reply: [DIY] Add some security - Shock Sensors to Factory Alarm