3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sucks to be you, lol. Sorry about the ticket, but what advice are you asking for? You're most likely not going to avoid paying the fine.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks like you need to invest in a Skydar detector. Sucks when they land the chopper in front of you on the highway to give a ticket.

In all seriousness I have no idea what the outcome is when it comes to aircraft tickets. I assume they offer the same plea bargaining as regular cruisers, but you never know with that expensive upkeep of a chopper.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never heard of speeding ticket by air before...

I got caught by CHP (California Highway Patrol) on the freeway doing 100 in my M3. I couldn't help myself when the freeway seemed so empty at night. ^_^.

If you go to court, and say your guilty of the ticket; they will drop the price of your ticket. I did that to my ticket, but traffic school was some boring bullshit.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Redsand353
I see signs warning about that on certain highway in NJ, but I never believe it lol. Seems like cost wise it wouldn't be too practical for the state to put a plane in the sky just for a couple speeding tickets lol.

Sorry to hear that tho, that sucks
I remember seeing an enforced by air sign a while back here on I-4... God bless budget cuts
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Instructor

I got nailed by aircraft in Washington State many years ago. At that time, they didn't use radar, it was by clocking against markers on the highway. It stuck, I paid, and moved on.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
how did they send you the ticket? by mail? did they have pictures of your car? what kind of proof do they have?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Sucks to be you, lol. Sorry about the ticket, but what advice are you asking for? You're most likely not going to avoid paying the fine.
I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket by aircraft, this is unfamiliar territory for me. So, hence here I am asking for advice. From what I've read through searching on Google, it's not an easy ticket to contest in court but there are cases where people have taken it to court and won. I really am curious if anyone in AZine have experiences with speeding tickets by air and what suggestions/advice they got to offer.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Yeah, they time you between paint markings on the road. If you're going 30 over, it's pretty easy for them to see that you're going much faster than the rest of the other traffic the air and they mark you for timing. Then they radio your speed to the trooper/cop laying in wait a few miles down the road. They used to (may be still do) this all the time in KS (state troopers).

If you had been only going 10 over, they probably wouldn't have noticed you....
Old 09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JORTS
how did they send you the ticket? by mail? did they have pictures of your car? what kind of proof do they have?
That's the best part...

So as I got closer to work I started to slow down on the highway. As I slowed down, I noticed 2 highway patrol cars on the on-ramp merging unto the highway. So of course I slowed down even more. Well, one of the cars quickly moved behind me and put his lights on. He said the aircraft clocked me at 95 MPH and they radioed him and identified my car as the right car once he was behind me. I am really annoyed at myself for letting this happen. You drive normal 364 days of the year and then on the 365th I speed and get cited.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
I never heard of speeding ticket by air before...

I got caught by CHP (California Highway Patrol) on the freeway doing 100 in my M3. I couldn't help myself when the freeway seemed so empty at night. ^_^.

If you go to court, and say your guilty of the ticket; they will drop the price of your ticket. I did that to my ticket, but traffic school was some boring bullshit.
Is that how it works where the OP lives too?

What applies to CA, may or may not apply to other states. Best not to give advice unless your'e familiar with the territory.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Is that how it works where the OP lives too?

What applies to CA, may or may not apply to other states. Best not to give advice unless your'e familiar with the territory.
Ahh, sorry! I wasn't 100% sure if it works the same way in his state, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure... it works the same, because I believe in all the states they give you a chance to go to court to fight the ticket.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
Ahh, sorry! I wasn't 100% sure if it works the same way in his state, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure... it works the same, because I believe in all the states they give you a chance to go to court to fight the ticket.

Yes, you always have a chance to fight the ticket. What will vary though are laws regarding recklees operation (for instance, 20 mph over the speed limit), the ability to plead down or take a course (like traffic school), the effect of pleading guilty on your license, etc.

That's why it's better to be careful about giving advice about legal matters (registrations, license points, tickets, tint laws, etc) unless you have experience with the local laws.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Thanks Bearcat, I'll be sure to keep you all posted with updates on this. I'm going to contest it for sure. I have never had any experience with traffic sch, my only hope is a reduced civil penalty and no points. I'll have to keep a positive attitude, I don't know what to expect in Maine.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by sT04Louis
Dont speed. Problem Solved.
more like dont leave your house.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
I thought in the US speed limits always ended with a 5.
Federal regulations state that speed limits posted in miles per hour are to be in 5 mph increments (thus, ending in a "0" or a "5") and that speed limits posted in kilometres per hour are to be in 10 km/h increments (thus, ending in a "0"). The latter is ignored by those places that have posted metric speed limits as adjuncts to the mph numbers—they've invariably posted the exact conversion, probably so that nobody can argue that they complied with the higher metric number (e.g., 110 km/h is slightly faster than 65 mph, although a cop would have to be a complete dick to pull you over for going that minimal amount over the limit). I suppose the rationale is that the metric number is not the actual speed limit in those cases and that the signs are being displayed as a convenience to foreign drivers (almost all signs of this sort that I've seen are near the Canadian border).

Anyway, speed limits in mph increments ending in "0" are extremely common.

I've seen some speed limits on public roads that ignored the federal regulation. When I lived in Durham, North Carolina, during the mid-1990s, there was one street that was posted at 27 mph. Also, owners of private property are free to ignore the federal guideline and often do. I used to work at a place that had a 9-mph speed limit on their property (not sure why they picked 9 instead of 10). I've also seen 23-mph speed limits several times.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Here's an article on air surveillance of speeders:

http://dailyrecordnews.com/news/arti...cc4c002e0.html
Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Got a red light ticket - not from a camera but from a patrol car. Sucks. Especially because it was still yellow. He did say he does not make court appearances because he works nights so I'm hoping for a good outcome.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
I thought if it's still yellow when youre halfway through (about), then you should be fine. Sounds like a dick move to me.

That reminds me of a red-light camera incident a few weeks ago. It was late, and I drove through a yellow which I guess turned red when I was about 3/4 through the intersection, because I saw a flash behind me in my mirrors. I've yet to recieve anything in the mail, though.

Do they even bother issuing the ticket if you're through the intersection when the light turns red?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Well I did speed up to go through the yellow while the cop stopped. So that was kind of dumb on my part. He did tell me the only reason why he pulled me over was because his supervisor was on a ride along with him.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Aman
I thought if it's still yellow when youre halfway through (about), then you should be fine. Sounds like a dick move to me.

That reminds me of a red-light camera incident a few weeks ago. It was late, and I drove through a yellow which I guess turned red when I was about 3/4 through the intersection, because I saw a flash behind me in my mirrors. I've yet to recieve anything in the mail, though.

Do they even bother issuing the ticket if you're through the intersection when the light turns red?

Generally if you are "in the intersection" BEFORE the light turns red, you're OK. Doesn't mean you can't/won't be ticketed, but you should be legal - if you can prove it.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Well I did speed up to go through the yellow while the cop stopped. So that was kind of dumb on my part. He did tell me the only reason why he pulled me over was because his supervisor was on a ride along with him.

Keep us updated.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Okay, I never thought I would come to this thread to post, but I guess my luck ran out.

I got a ticket for not stopping fully at the stop sign. This is my first ticket in LA, so not sure how it works over here (from WA). If I admit it and not fight for this case, would I be able to take traffic school to not lose pt? Can I take online traffic school or do I physically have to go to class for this?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
This is my first ticket in LA, so not sure how it works over here (from WA). If I admit it and not fight for this case, would I be able to take traffic school to not lose pt? Can I take online traffic school or do I physically have to go to class for this?
My wife got a moving violation in Marina del Rey (LA County) and was able to go on-line for traffic school a couple of years ago.

IIRC, she did not even have to physically go to court to deal with the violation; you can probably just pull up your citation on the website at http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/ and proceed from there.
G/L.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Will, thank you so much for your info. I will definitely need to find out if I can take on-line course or not.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by anthracite_ftw
Last weekend some friends and I took my TL on a little roadtrip: SF Bay Area to Eugene, OR to South Lake Tahoe. The trip was going great until we were passing through Nevada a little after midnight Saturday night.

Going South on Hwy 395 into Carson City, it turns into Hwy 50/Carson St for about 5 miles before turning into the real Hwy 50. Carson Street is 5 lanes wide, and posted 35-40mph speed limit almost the whole way. Near the end, the speed limit inexplicably changes to 25mph for a 1/3 mile section.

I didn't notice the 25 sign, so I continued to go 35mph. In the middle of a perfectly clear, dry night, a local cop decides to pull me over and write me a ticket for 35 in this ridiculous 25 zone (He paced me, no radar). Even worse, he wrote my "actual speed" on the ticket as 40mph, when I was doing 35!

Now I've never received a traffic ticket before, so I have quite a few questions for anyone on here knowledgeable enough to answer them.

My ticket says I am ordered to appear and answer to the above court charges a week from Monday. Is this date the arraignment, or my actual trial? (I will be in Tahoe around then, so it wouldn't be a huge inconvenience to go to court in Nevada.)

If I do go to court and plead not guilty, do I stand a chance? I was reading about Prima Facie Speed Limits vs. Absolute Speed Limits, and it sounds like I could argue that I could safely go 35mph in those conditions. I could not, however, find an account of someone who has used that argument.

If I do plead not guilty, but then I lose, have I forfeited my right to traffic school?

Sorry if this was a bit long-winded, but any answers you can offer would be great!
this happened to me in september on 395... it's a scam... you go to court and the deputy attorneys say you can just pay half the amount and it will be recorded as a parking violation... if you decline, they say you have to come back ANOTHER time (from california) to see a judge... so you take their deal it (i did, sadly)... except california won't honor that and they will put a point on your record (i asked inn advance - they lied)... was this your experience, because i have to fight this (it cost me my job)?...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by b rock
this happened to me in september on 395... it's a scam... you go to court and the deputy attorneys say you can just pay half the amount and it will be recorded as a parking violation... if you decline, they say you have to come back ANOTHER time (from california) to see a judge... so you take their deal it (i did, sadly)... except california won't honor that and they will put a point on your record (i asked inn advance - they lied)... was this your experience, because i have to fight this (it cost me my job)?...
Welcome to the forums.

I added the quote in your thread. When you want to reply to someone in a situation like this where the reply is not near the original post, just click on the "Quote" button and then type your reply after the last "[/quote]" line.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a parking ticket in San Diego a few months ago. It was a green spot that was 15 minute only between 10am-4pm. The problem is that they issued the ticket at 445pm. I contested it online with photo's of my car in the spot right in front of the sign and a close up of the sign but they still decided I was responsible. I'm contesting it again by mail so hopefully I'll get a better result. What a pain dealing with this.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sddale
I got a parking ticket in San Diego a few months ago. It was a green spot that was 15 minute only between 10am-4pm. The problem is that they issued the ticket at 445pm. I contested it online with photo's of my car in the spot right in front of the sign and a close up of the sign but they still decided I was responsible. I'm contesting it again by mail so hopefully I'll get a better result. What a pain dealing with this.
ummm..."issued the ticket" versus when they saw you parked there are 2 different things...when were you parked there? the meter-maid could have see your car there at 3:00 and just got around to issuing the ticket later in the day?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by b rock
I got the same thing: they told me I would not receive any points and it would be recorded as a parking ticket if I pay half the fine. That was back in July and as far as I know, my insurance company still knows nothing of it. I did not check with DMV in CA if any points go onto my license, but from what I have heard other places that is not supposed to happen.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by candrews
ummm..."issued the ticket" versus when they saw you parked there are 2 different things...when were you parked there? the meter-maid could have see your car there at 3:00 and just got around to issuing the ticket later in the day?
I got there after 4 and the ticket shows that it was marked around 430 then the ticket was issued. The car wasn't even there during the ticketing hours. It's completely wrong. I just hope that they reverse the ticket by mail. Mistakes happen but they should correct them.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by anthracite_ftw
I got the same thing: they told me I would not receive any points and it would be recorded as a parking ticket if I pay half the fine. That was back in July and as far as I know, my insurance company still knows nothing of it. I did not check with DMV in CA if any points go onto my license, but from what I have heard other places that is not supposed to happen.
would you say that they "guaranteed" it?... and are you sure they knew you were not nevadan, but californian?...

i can almost guarantee you that you have a point on your record... if you DON'T i'd sure want to know why i did and you (same offense - 38 in a 25) didn't...

in my case, after they pitched the deal and gave me the paperwork, i noticed that the paperwork said "guilty" and listed the speeding violation... so i went back to the young deputy city attorney and asked him about it... he pointed to somewhere else on the page where it said about the illegally parking (to sell a vehicle, i think) and said it would not go on my record (i had told him i was from california and the paperwork also had my sf address)...

but i DEFINITELY have a point and it is playing absolute HAVOC with my life, so i have to find a way to fight this...

we can't be the only two californians this has happened to, although my guess is it's a pretty new way of doing things... when i first got there, i signed in and requested the officer's report and was told there wasn't one (in california, there always is)... i think they are just trying to save money, no officer has to show up, no judge has to hear cases - EVERYONE in the hallway with me took the deal... they guy before me had been doing SIXTY in a twenty and i thought, "geez, he gets the same deal as me?"... now i find out my deal was WORSE...

you should probably check and see because i'm pretty sure a point is there... i am going to go back there on the next driveable (snowless) monday, which might be next week, and try to find someone else from out of state who gets a verbal guarantee from the deputy city attorney so i can have some proof that they are doing this (so he can't say, "i didn't make any guarantees - i just told him we would report it as a parking violaion")... then i'm going to have to find an attorney in carson city willing to challenge this - the dmv may be willing to delete the whole thing to just not have it blow up in their faces and have to go back to the old system of judges and appearances by cops, (and officer reports?)... what a sleazy state - like some speed trap in a rural county in the south...

they HAVE to know that california drivers are going to wind up with a point... did they represent it to you as a kind of guarantee?...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Beware the 'Move Over' Law

I haven't had any traffic infractions in the past 20+ years (I guess I drive like an old lady). I was on the NJ Turnpike today, driving in the right lane at 65 mph (the posted limit for that part of the turnpike), and was pulled over after I passed a police car that had pulled over another car. After getting my credentials, I was given a citation for the 'Move Over Law' which carries a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $500, plus 2 points on the license (I have to call the court when the ticket is processed to see what my pound of flesh will be). I was told by the officer that it was a zero point ticket, but according to NJ law, it carries 2 points. I may have to go to court to get it dumbed down to a lesser fine. I wasn't even aware of such a law, but was told by said officer that it's 'common sense'. If you see emergency vehicles in the shoulder, you're supposed to move to the center lane or if this isn't possible, to slow down 20 mph under the posted speed limit in the lane you're in.

Lesson learned...be careful out there.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
that sounds crazy...thanks for the heads up! suck that it happened to you after 20+ years
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
in Texas, its enforced since like 10 years ago.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
damn...wrong place at the wrong time. sorry your streak ended man.

thanks for the heads up tho.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:37 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
in Texas, its enforced since like 10 years ago.
In NJ, it was enacted in 2009.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
In NJ, it was enacted in 2009.
Originally Posted by TDPS
........ went into effect Sept. 1, 2003.
7years for us to be exact.
I only know because I was pulled over in the same fashion as you.
but only received a warning, kinda sucks that he gave you a ticket.........
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I see these signs all over here in WI and in IL. It says "move over or slow down for stopped emergancy vehicles" Now i would fight it saying you couldnt move over so you slowed down! Thats crap, sounds like the cops in your area need more to do!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I don't get it, if you see an emergency vehicles on the side of the road, you are suppose to move over to the middle lane? How is that NOT common sense?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
I don't get it, if you see an emergency vehicles on the side of the road, you are suppose to move over to the middle lane? How is that NOT common sense?
I agree - if possible, I do it regardless of whether it is an emergency vehicle or not. More worried for their safety than my car.

This law was enacted a couple of years ago here in TN. We also have spots where the tractor trailers have to use the middle lane due to one running over a female cop, in the fast lane, who had a culprit stopped on the fast lane side of the road.

Quick Reply: ** The Traffic/Parking Ticket Thread ** Advice, Rants & Raves